Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

What is a bit unfair on Waterford is having to play 6 days after. Only county affected like this?

It’s the luck of the draw. Kilkenny are playing galway on Sunday and their final game is 6 days later in Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Personally, I don't have an issue with lads going on the beer once they're out. That didn't cause the performance on Sunday or two weeks before it.

Don't think they should be chastised by fellas who were also in a pub watching them. I hope they don't get hammered on Saturday but to be honest if they won by 10 points it wouldn't make the last 4 weeks any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

It doesn't matter, the year is over, we're out of the championship. I wouldn't care if they all played drunk next weekend, in fact they'd nearly play better langers than they did last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Paul Flynn coming on Newstalk off the ball in a few minutes. Will probably be on podcast later if you miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I feel for the likes of Shane Bennett . An outstanding underage wing back being shafted since he’s been on the senior panel chasing shadows in the full forward line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rumours members of the minor panel joining up with the senior squad for Saturdays game

****ing hell sat could be farcical

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Rumours members of the minor panel joining up with the senior squad for Saturdays game

They can't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

They can't

He’s making stuff up again

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Ian OB

I don't think it counts as a rumour if you start it yourself ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Not very.

Not very.

If all or part of the discontent in the camp is true than what state will we be in for 2020 if Fanning doesn't step down. He wont be sacked cause of the league form we had and the reelections in the CB will take priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Mulbert

I heard some of last years under 11 clashmore team have been asked to step in to replace the minors that have been called up to the senior squad.

We indeed are living though interesting times.

Its whats great about being a Waterford supporter!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

_blaaz wrote: »
    What other county gives up after 20 mins and only 2pts in it??

Its a joke excusing this behaviour.....no matter how bad the all ireland of 08 defeat was....noone carried on like what went on yesterday in walsh park

Nicky quaid came out and even said he felt embarassed for us

We were caught cold in '08. The players were spooked either by the occasion or Kilkenny's aggression or both. But some of them did give up, more or less
    plus the horrible tactics that Davy Fitz set us up for .pissed through the qualifiers ,wasn't until we beat tipp and fitz had a few weeks to poison lads .the beginning of the end .Paul Flynn wrote at the time he believed we had being dragged back 30 years ,he wasn't wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

plus the horrible tactics that Davy Fitz set us up for .pissed through the qualifiers ,wasn't until we beat tipp and fitz had a few weeks to poison lads .the beginning of the end .Paul Flynn wrote at the time he believed we had being dragged back 30 years ,he wasn't wrong

Tbh as bad as fitz was with his rugby type.hurling.....its not as bad as watching maurice shanahan running around like.a clown trying to tackle 3 players and they laughing at him

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Personally, I don't have an issue with lads going on the beer once they're out. That didn't cause the performance on Sunday or two weeks before it.

Don't think they should be chastised by fellas who were also in a pub watching them. I hope they don't get hammered on Saturday but to be honest if they won by 10 points it wouldn't make the last 4 weeks any better.

Of course they can be chastised. I certainly wasn't in any humor for beer on Sunday after watching what transpired. If I was part of it I genuinely would have been embarrassed to show my face in town on Sunday. I'm always against the heavy drinking bans and the social restrictions placed on GAA players if i was a lot of those lads, and I cared in anyway about Waterford hurling, I would have had a hard time looking in the mirror on Sunday night.

I have no problem not getting out of Munster if they gave it a good rattle and came up short. I believe we are currently the worst team in Munster but to go down the way we did has made me absolutely despondent. If they went down to Cork and lost by 10 points on Sunday but went down swinging it would make me feel a whole lot better about the last few weeks. I genuinely can't understand how you wouldn't feel better about a performance down in Cork after what happened on Sunday? What's the point of even supporting the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

hardybuck wrote: »
    KevIRL wrote: »
    Personally would only start Lyons, Prunty and Jack Prendergast from Sunday. All of the fringe and squad players such as Daragh Lyons, Billy Nolan, Colm Roche, Stephen Roche, Kieran Bennett, Mark O Brien, Jordan Henley, DJ Foran, Peter Hogan, Shane McNulty, Brian O Halloran and Colin Dunford should be considered for starts ahead of those involved last Sunday. Any of them who were on the lash Sunday or Monday in Nicky's though I wouldnt start and go down to the under 20 squad if required

If you do that you're potentially sending in a team of young lads to be slaughtered down in Cork. It would be much fairer to them to be blooded properly in next year's league.
    name a player who hasn't being blooded

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Here was me thinking we bottomed out on Sunday.... Do you even know the GAA rules?

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Of course they can be chastised. I certainly wasn't in any humor for beer on Sunday after watching what transpired. If I was part of it I genuinely would have been embarrassed to show my face in town on Sunday. I'm always against the heavy drinking bans and the social restrictions placed on GAA players if i was a lot of those lads, and I cared in anyway about Waterford hurling, I would have had a hard time looking in the mirror on Sunday night.

I have no problem not getting out of Munster if they gave it a good rattle and came up short. I believe we are currently the worst team in Munster but to go down the way we did has made me absolutely despondent. If they went down to Cork and lost by 10 points on Sunday but went down swinging it would make me feel a whole lot better about the last few weeks. I genuinely can't understand how you wouldn't feel better about a performance down in Cork after what happened on Sunday? What's the point of even supporting the team?

They can be berated for the performances on the field as they should be and are being from all quarters. What lads do in their personal life when there is nothing at stake is completely up to them and our business.

This hiding in the attic out of shame nonsense is real tribal bs. How dare they show their face? Come off it lad. I'm no intercounty hurler but have seen some hammerings and albeit it's a horrible feeling, I'd happily take the opportunity to go for a few pints with friends to try and forget about it.

Maybe a performance next weekend will restore hope for you, but it has no bearing on 2019. As I said, I do hope they are competitive but I won't be happy until they win a championship match that has a bearing on Waterford's year. Next weekend is a glorified challenge match, only different to the Wexford v Clare relegation (with no actual relegation) match several years ago in that Cork have something to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

They can be berated for the performances on the field as they should be and are being from all quarters. What lads do in their personal life when there is nothing at stake is completely up to them and our business.

This hiding in the attic out of shame nonsense is real tribal bs. How dare they show their face? Come off it lad. I'm no intercounty hurler but have seen some hammerings and albeit it's a horrible feeling, I'd happily take the opportunity to go for a few pints with friends to try and forget about it.

Maybe a performance next weekend will restore hope for you, but it has no bearing on 2019. As I said, I do hope they are competitive but I won't be happy until they win a championship match that has a bearing on Waterford's year. Next weekend is a glorified challenge match, only different to the Wexford v Clare relegation (with no actual relegation) match several years ago in that Cork have something to play for.

It's not a challenge match, Cork have something to play for, they will go all out. They could have held off on the pints until Sat evening. Poor judgment on and off the pitch from the players.

• Advertisement

Paul Flynn coming on Newstalk off the ball in a few minutes. Will probably be on podcast later if you miss it.

Interesting insight from Flynn as always. Never overly critical but you can read between the lines of what he is saying.
    Made a good point about Fanning's backroom team of Kearney and Murray. very lightweight and inexperienced compared to all other counties.
    Also seemed to allude to the fact that the players simply don't want to deviate from the defensive style implemented by McGrath, a management team with a more assertive approach should be beating that out of them. Fanning doesn't seem to believe in his own philosophy strong enough for the payers to buy into it and players are caught between 2 stools.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

Im sorry but there is pride at stake next Sat. If not for themselves but for the County. Drinking in public Sun & Mon is a complete display of defiance towards mgmt and complete lack of judgement and indifference towards supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I'd have no problem with lads going for a few jars after a game, I think it's healthy if anything to be honest. But going on the beer now?

After the championship is over is grand, a gang of lads going on the beer 6 days out from your next game sounds more like lads throwing in the towel now and giving 2 fingers to management in the process. If they gave a fiddlers they would be chomping at the bit to play Cork and not inside skulling. They may also have been ****ed off the panel after that joke of a showing though, who knows. It's awful sad.

Ropaire wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with lads going for a few jars after a game, I think it's healthy if anything to be honest. But going on the beer now?

After the championship is over is grand, a gang of lads going on the beer 6 days out from your next game sounds more like lads throwing in the towel now and giving 2 fingers to management in the process. If they gave a fiddlers they would be chomping at the bit to play Cork and not inside skulling. They may also have been ****ed off the panel after that joke of a showing though, who knows. It's awful sad.[/quote

Bang on!ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Tramore84 wrote: »
    It's not a challenge match, Cork have something to play for, they will go all out. They could have held off on the pints until Sat evening. Poor judgment on and off the pitch from the players.

If anything the players are letting themselves down and i think decent supporters couldn’t stand by their actions. The downing of tools and lack of respect for the jersey is playing right into the mgmts hand - public sympathy will be with them after this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Spatters wrote: »
    Im sorry but there is pride at stake next Sat. If not for themselves but for the County. Drinking in public Sun & Mon is a complete display of defiance towards mgmt and complete lack of judgement and indifference towards supporters

Your probably right they shouldnt have done it, but if i was involved in that kind of a hammering i dont know how I'd face the next couple of days. they're humans. Kinda dreading this Cork trip now,the score could be anything

Spatters wrote: »

What supporters, the ones who chose to stay away all year and watch from the armchair? Ive seen an awful lot of criticism from clowns on social media saying the players let them down, well its been two-fold, the supporters have let the players down aswell. 2000 people showed up for a home leaguequarter final (500 from Clare), the Clare Munster championship game was like a morgue the atmosphere was so dead, and we couldn't even sell out our home venue for the Limerick game after all the calls for a 40,000 seater stadium in Carriganore. Weve become the most pathetically supported county in the championship and that was before a ball was ever pucked under this management team.

I don't know if players had persmission to head out on Sunday night so cannot comment, poor form on management if not. But don't give the third degree about letting the supporters down, bar the few hundred or so die hard souls that would have been in Cork next weekend anyway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

I don't know if players had persmission to head out on Sunday night so cannot comment, poor form on management if not. But don't give the third degree about letting the supporters down, bar the few hundred or so die hard souls that would have been in Cork next weekend anyway.

I'd say the players were told to go out on Sunday night . As for the support , we were well supported from 98 to 08 . I know lots of people who wouldn't be club members or have played hurling but they loved the buzz and excitement of it all , travelling to cork , thurles and croke park . The banter and pride in their county doing well. But the 08 final devastated it. Lots never returned to watching the team again . Even the great under 21 team of 2016 we couldn't fill Walsh park the night of the Munster Final. Numbers increased in 2017 especially for the kk matches and semi and final but another loss in the final killed it again. Now you can say they aren't true supporters but they outnumbered the core supporters. Times are changing, 20% of the city population are non nationals who haven't any real interest in GAA. So I don't think we will see the days again of 25,000 Waterford people travelling to matches

As impossible as it is if we got passed Munster the bandwagon would be rolling in again. The ****e we hear on social media, radio etc when were doing well would make u sick

I'm a good supporter and myself and few others would travel the width and bret of country too support the team. How it will work out next year I dont knw but its always a great day out and something the future would look forward too. This league alone trips too places I'm beve been like Port laoise and Parnell park. Sometimes the journeys better than the destination

• Advertisement

I'd say the players were told to go out on Sunday night . As for the support , we were well supported from 98 to 08 . I know lots of people who wouldn't be club members or have played hurling but they loved the buzz and excitement of it all , travelling to cork , thurles and croke park . The banter and pride in their county doing well. But the 08 final devastated it. Lots never returned to watching the team again . Even the great under 21 team of 2016 we couldn't fill Walsh park the night of the Munster Final. Numbers increased in 2017 especially for the kk matches and semi and final but another loss in the final killed it again. Now you can say they aren't true supporters but they outnumbered the core supporters. Times are changing, 20% of the city population are non nationals who haven't any real interest in GAA. So I don't think we will see the days again of 25,000 Waterford people travelling to matches

The city dominance on the county senior team in those periods was stronger aswell. I think in 98 Mount sion had something like 11 on the panel and Ballygunner a significant number also, DLS came strong then in the early noughties. This brought a larger following from the city as they would have felt more of a connection to the team. The All Ireland defeat in 08, followed by recession, and a wider spread of rural clubs being represented meant that city support has faded largely. Given that the city is effectively 50% of the county's population this has an impact

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement