Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

The 2018 minor team is now the u20 team & they actually beat tipp 2.13 to 3.9 in Munster championship - so all things being equal these lads should be well up to beating tipp tomorrow

The 2018 minor team (which was U17) are basically an U18 team this year not U20, there is lads 2 years older than that on tomorrow night's Tipp team?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Such an odd situation. No bias involved from what I can See, manager from roanmore and a Ballygunner selector too, so can't see how there would be western bias there.

Just seems very odd that nobody from the city area is good enough to make the team, particularly as Ballygunner and mount sion have contested the last 2 minor county finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

The 2018 minor team is now the u20 team & they actually beat tipp 2.13 to 3.9 in Munster championship - so all things being equal these lads should be well up to beating tipp tomorrow

Ah jaysus. I really despair sometimes when I read posts like this one. People posting in this forum who clearly don't have a clue about GAA.

The 2018 minor team are now under 18 in 2019. They will be under 20 in 2021.

The under 20 team playing tomorrow was minor (under 18 as it was 2 years ago as opposed to under 17 now) in 2017 and got hammered in every match they played.
    So don't be expecting too much from this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Ah jaysus. I really despair sometimes when I read posts like this one. People posting in this forum who clearly don't have a clue about GAA.

The 2018 minor team are now under 18 in 2019. They will be under 20 in 2021.

The under 20 team playing tomorrow was minor (under 18 as it was 2 years ago as opposed to under 17 now) in 2017 and got hammered in every match they played.
    So don't be expecting too much from this group.

Most of that infamous minor group has not been selected fir this u20 group and rightly so as they obviously weren’t good enough. It’s a young u20 team with most having another year or 2 in the age group. It’s looking to the future and the right approach. We will be up against it tomorrow night but will be strong more experienced team next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

JesusRef wrote: »
    How many players from the following clubs

My Sion, Ballygunnar, DLS, Passage and Dungarvan

Are U20 and have played and impressed at senior club level in the last two years?

PJ Fanning, Luke O’Brien, Alan Kirwan, Jack Meaney and Evan McGrath (maybe overage?) have all started regularly for Mount Sion over the last couple of years and done well.

Kevin Mahony from Ballygunner maybe a bit too young?

• Advertisement

PJ Fanning, Luke O’Brien, Alan Kirwan, Jack Meaney and Evan McGrath (maybe overage?) have all started regularly for Mount Sion over the last couple of years and done well.

Kevin Mahony from Ballygunner maybe a bit too young?

Cheers for that, if guys are doing well playing senior club then it seems very strange to have no city representation.

Especially as it seems to be a very young U20 team (a lot of last year's U17s playing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

The selectors picked what they think is the best team. How do I know this? Because it's 2019 and the East-West bollocks exists only on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

deiseach wrote: »
    The selectors picked what they think is the best team. How do I know this? Because it's 2019 and the East-West bollocks exists only on this thread.

U20 team aside.

The east west bollocks does exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Assume that u20 team is a joke team??

He’s a roanmore man if I’m thinking of the right chap. Strange team to throw out

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Assume that u20 team is a joke team??
    So who would you start then??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

its a damning indictment of the state of our county when lads now at 18-19 are deciding they would rather not play / make themselves available, go travelling & in some cases are injured to be fair. The first two issues are major concern to me.

Im not suggesting its a political thing, it is obviously not. If it was interpreted that way i retract it. Iv no doubt the mgmt are picking best team available, its the lads that are not there and the reasons behind it are of concern to me.

Imo feeds into a wider malaise within the GAA locally.

ill answer the question as best i can without knowing naming individual players;

DLS College Harty cup team (u19 age) were beaten in a semi final of comp this year - no players on first 15 (dont know re panel)

Ballygunner are minor champions in 2018 - no players on first 15 (dont know re panel)

Ballygunner are minor champions in 2017 - no players on first 15 (dont know re panel)

Mount Sion were beaten in the 2018 minor A final - no players on first 15 (dont know re panel)

Mount Sion were beaten in the 2017 minor A final - no players on first 15 (dont know re panel)

DLS won the minor A in 2016 - no players on first 15 (dont know re panel) beating Ballgunner in final

Roanmore won the minor B in 2016 no players on first 15 (dont know re panel) beating Ballyduff Upper (also no players on first 15) in final

So without naming anyone and factoring everything in, i find it amazing / bizarre that there isnt a player from the above huge clubs that can start tonight.

There seems to be legit reasons / excuses, but im not buying those, why are lads choosing at such a young age not to bother?

That is the pressing question for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,049 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Best of the luck to the team tonight

This is a 2 year project according to Gough

The manager interviewed before the game said that if it wasn't for travel and if every player made themselves available - that there would be more city players on the team tonight...

A long evening for Waterford this evening I fear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Motivator

Reading about Laois today and how they mix both a relaxed and hard at it approach to their season made me cringe thinking of Derek McGrath flogging our lads on Christmas morning. I wouldn’t be a fan of his by any stretch of the imagination but good luck to Eddie Brennan. He’s got everyone involved in Laois to buy in to what he’s trying to do. Fairly depressing looking at us at the moment compared to them.

Big game for the u20s, hope they do themselves proud. It’s a big ask against an apparently strong Tipp team so good luck to them.

Some wides in this game already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

its a damning indictment of the state of our county when lads now at 18-19 are deciding they would rather not play / make themselves available, go travelling & in some cases are injured to be fair. The first two issues are major concern to me.

Im not suggesting its a political thing, it is obviously not. If it was interpreted that way i retract it. Iv no doubt the mgmt are picking best team available, its the lads that are not there and the reasons behind it are of concern to me.

Imo feeds into a wider malaise within the GAA locally.

ill answer the question as best i can without knowing naming individual players;

DLS College Harty cup team (u19 age) were beaten in a semi final of comp this year - no players on first 15 (dont know re panel)

Ballygunner are minor champions in 2018 - no players on first 15 (dont know re panel)

Ballygunner are minor champions in 2017 - no players on first 15 (dont know re panel)

Mount Sion were beaten in the 2018 minor A final - no players on first 15 (dont know re panel)

Mount Sion were beaten in the 2017 minor A final - no players on first 15 (dont know re panel)

DLS won the minor A in 2016 - no players on first 15 (dont know re panel) beating Ballgunner in final

Roanmore won the minor B in 2016 no players on first 15 (dont know re panel) beating Ballyduff Upper (also no players on first 15) in final

So without naming anyone and factoring everything in, i find it amazing / bizarre that there isnt a player from the above huge clubs that can start tonight.

There seems to be legit reasons / excuses, but im not buying those, why are lads choosing at such a young age not to bother?

That is the pressing question for me.

Maybe you should’ve have checked the panel firstvbefore writing all that. All the teams you named above are represented on the panel

Starting too get away from us now. Simply not good enough

Interesting Derek there will some of his old backroom team

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hoosier_daddy

Ref is very fond of his whistle, no link up play between the forwards and we are hitting in aimless ball. Half back line for tipp cleaning up

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Johnnie loves giving yellow cards . Yet another Waterford team devoid of ability to win a ball in the forward line. Some of the passing has been abysmal . One good score from play was as it good as it got . Michael kiely starved of possession. Same Sh*t different team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭spideyman92

Motivator wrote: »
    Reading about Laois today and how they mix both a relaxed and hard at it approach to their season made me cringe thinking of Derek McGrath flogging our lads on Christmas morning. I wouldn’t be a fan of his by any stretch of the imagination but good luck to Eddie Brennan. He’s got everyone involved in Laois to buy in to what he’s trying to do. Fairly depressing looking at us at the moment compared to them.

Big game for the u20s, hope they do themselves proud. It’s a big ask against an apparently strong Tipp team so good luck to them.

Derek flogging them? The way people go on about him being too nice, you'd swear he used to be tucking them into bed at night. He used to let them relax and drink after wins too.

Also find it funny that Brennan used to give out about Waterford's use of the sweeper for years and now this year has found success using it.

Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mullinr2

My god Waterford hurling is a joke at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭deisedude

This is pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Another shambles. This is an absolute hammering

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Woeful stuff! In all grades this year and last! To say otherwise is delusional!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hoosier_daddy

The manager said this is a two year plan? If he’s left stay on after this it sums up everything wrong with Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

What’s going on with Waterford hurling at the moment at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Ye can hardly call yourselves a dual county either. Ye devote as much time to hurling as Kilkenny does. Shocking year for Waterford

• Advertisement

Waterford Hurling is circling the drain

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement