Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

scudzilla wrote: »
    last night, between 17:00 and 20:00 i had 3 door to door salespeople, first was for vodafone, second bord gais, never even found out who the third was before i told him to fcuk off.

The mind boggles, highly contagious virus and you're knocking door to door selling shite
    I'm surprised to still get junk mail shoved through me letter box, 3 times today.
    Might be setting the dogs on the next person who tries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

LRNM, re your observations about lack of accident and emergency activity, surely this shows so many walk-ins are malingerer typed who now realise they can stay at home and 'recover'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Off licenses will be buzzing.

Stay at home, fk the vintners. Chickens can come home to roost.

Was there an hour ago. Got 4 cans of Linden Village. Now listening to Tubs..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Sibling is a GP in Leinster. They have NO personal protective equipment. They have NO support from the HSE. Staff like receptionists, practice managers, cleaners etc are terrified & are actively considering staying home & staying safe. Who could blame them? Meanwhile GP’s are exposing themselves & their families to this virus, which is a hell of a lot worse than a flu. People are dying from ingesting their own lung secretions. FFS This is a crisis the likes of which we have never seen before.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,042 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Happy4all wrote: »
    Still secrecy about locations?

2 confirmed Apple Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

darjeeling wrote: »
    I don't think that's the reality. Most of the media stories on this a couple of weeks ago were blown up from a misinterpreted media briefing by CDC in S China (14% 'reinfection' was actually 13 patients who tested -ve & later +ve using a different test, but didn't redevelop symptoms).

More recent studies have shown 100% of recovering patients developing antibodies as expected, meaning they will have immunity for some time. Antibody testing is now part of the Chinese diagnosis & treatment guidelines, so we'd hear if anything strange was happening.

we should definitely trust china...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I hope the elderly and others in high risk categories in England realize that when Boris and his advisers say it is too early to self isolate or limit social interactions, it does not mean that there is no need to do so yet, you can easily contract the virus today and have a good chance of dying from it despite Boris's statement.

Boris is simply playing the numbers game and what he means is that the window for self isolation to prevent the maximum number of such people dying has not yet begun. He cares not of the individual.

After hearing Boris' plans, if I was at risk I'd be either leaving the country or holing up somewhere if possible for a few months, both easier said that done admittedly

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I know of a Dublin restaurant that will be closed by next Wednesday or sooner if the government decrees it. They are letting their staff go as they are not sure if they will open again.

Bleak, The cancellations in hotels over the next 3 months are staggering. The hospitality industry will be hit worse than 08

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Crazy stuff for Spain.

They could end up worse than Italy at this rate.

It will far exceed Italy soon given it's trajectory.
    sterz wrote: »
    I know it's on the news 24 hours a day but walking around the city centre you wouldn't think that there's any major event going on.

Really think they should be pushing what needs to be done e.g. using advertising space etc to hammer it home.

It was the same thing in Italy 3 weeks ago. Ignoring government advice, bars, restaurants, shopping centers packed in Milan, Bologna, Venice, Verona etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Lowest trolley waiting numbers in years.

Just shows Irish people go to a hospital with a cold looking to be minded.

Morons

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Loughc wrote: »
    Less now :P
    0.9 posts every 15 seconds???

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

So after ~10 days of doing nothing but reading this thread and other parts of the internet, regrettably I had no choice but to do a bit of work yesterday and today. Totally moved the office home yesterday evening and will be working at home for the foreseeable future. My manager joked that I’d be far too much of a contrarian to generally follow official advice but as soon as An Taoiseach said you should work from home, I was out the door before you could say covid19.

As always, I get more done when working from home, managed to avoid non-work browsing and got plenty done today.

Also this interesting breakdown of Italy deaths by age group and in the thread, cases by age group and comparisons with China.

https://twitter.com/mmqwalker/status/1238522055643074561?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

voluntary wrote: »
    People as young as 20+ are plugged in to air tubes in Italy.

How many?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

It's amazing how the stock market jumped with Trumps emotional melodramatic speeches

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Loughc wrote: »
    The boss is. HR conveniently working from home.

The HR heads probably reminded the boss the ole rules for their sole benefit.

ITman88 wrote: »
    Bleak, The cancellations in hotels over the next 3 months are staggering. The hospitality industry will be hit worse than 08

The HSE is going to rent them for isolation wards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its a pity there isn't a scientist who works with lights that can find a light that highlights the virus, some sort of colour identifier technology so then you could see it by sight to avoid it or drown it in disinfectant. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

sunshinew wrote: »
    It's just so utterly disrespectful to our healthcare workers to be sitting in a pub right now...I'm sitting at home anxious enough about this but with the luxury of being able to WFH for the foreseeable. Imagine knowing that this sh*tstorm is going to come to your workplace and you've got to get up every day to face it, putting yourself in danger every day and knowing you could get infected and infect your own family with it - and then seeing these absolute a*holes not being able to give up a couple of pints on a Friday.

Theres about 15 people queuing outside The Temple Bar Inn, waiting to get in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The terrifying supervirus that only kills already half dead 80+ year olds is losing some of it's fear factor.

Catch yourself on. Either educate yourself or cut the crap attempts at humour. An imbecilic comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

And no link to any article about it...
    Crap, provide sources, at some evidence for conclusions.

Apart from that, SK is militarised state at semi-war readiness with a track record of coming down very heavily on dissent. No reason to think that measures they have deployed would fly here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

The terrifying supervirus that only kills already half dead 80+ year olds is losing some of it's fear factor.
    Can't really put into words how angry that type of language makes me, looking at a photo of my deceased parents as typing this.
    You sir are a ^*"@ %&!1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's amazing how the stock market jumped with Trumps emotional melodramatic speeches

It dropped massively when he closed the borders! Maybe it's relief of fed funds being released and that Jared Kushner is taking on a leading role.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The closing of borders presents an issue for the EU moving forward.

Calls for greater border controls could end up as a consequence of this crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Lots of denial out there still (few things I’ve heard of happening below)
    Few at work seemed to be planning a big weekend/going on a stag!
    Sec School kids hanging about in big groups like it’s a summer holiday
    Christenings with all extended family etc
    People still wondering should they go on holiday in a week or 2
    It’s going to take more deaths for people to stop being complacent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭threeball

Not really, they're like the biggest gathering of bipolar people on earth, one word can trigger elation or depression with that crowd. Up today, new numbers tomorrow and it tanks again. They should all be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

LRNM wrote: »
    Just back from a day on the ambo.

It's weird, earlier this week it was mostly preparation. Training on how to put on gowns facemask and goggles, dribs and drabs of information and new guidelines being put out every day.
    Very hard to keep up but in general it was business as usual.

Things changed a fair bit since yesterday evening shít has hit the fan. The hospitals are in panic mode and are shipping out everybody they can.

We know that the moment a hospital is infected, it's locked down. Nobody leaves as the nursing homes and community hospitals will not take them.
    So the hospitals that are clear are trying their hardest to empty bed spaces.

The wards have dozens of empty beds. A&E's are deserted bar a couple of people. I've never in my career seen them so quiet. Last week the trolley crisis was business as usual and today its eerily empty.

Talking to the nurses on the wards they say while theres less patients, there are also a lot less staff. They're struggling big time to get the numbers.

It was 1 nurse to 10 patients. The nurses were told a few days ago it's going to be 1 to 1 nursing when the virus arrives but all the nurses think thats pie in the sky stuff.
    1 HCA for an entire ward.
    Cleaners were in overdrive.

There are a lot of elderly patients who are totally confused and do not understand whats going on and their behaviors can be very difficult to manage. No visitors allowed period which they can't wrap their head around.

Seems to be less 999 emergency calls but swabbing and suspected cases of covid19 are huge. There are hundreds of calls stacked for swabbing, most sitting there longer than 24 hours at this stage.

The 999 call takers are inundated. Don't be surprised if you have to hold for a while if you need to call them.

On a wider note, does this insight from the frontlines not make you wonder if we are a nation of hypochondriacs, rushing off to hospital with all sorts of minor ailments, which puts a tremendous burden on a&e etc I am sure people are still falling, get cuts, fractures, strains etc, so where are they going now if they are not in a&e?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

The HSE is going to rent them for isolation wards

Jez didn’t see that, I wouldn’t mind getting this corona flu if they put me up in the presidential suite in Ashford castle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bekker wrote: »
    Crap, provide sources, at some evidence for conclusions.

Apart from that, SK is militarised state at semi-war readiness with a track record of coming down very heavily on dissent. No reason to think that measures they have deployed would fly here.

Especially when you look at the pubs 24 hours after Leo shut down the schools, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

threeball wrote: »
    We're worlds apart from the UK. They're one step away from asking people to lick the hand rails on the tube.

As funny a one liner as that is (and I did chuckle), but it's not really true.

Anyone with even minor symtpoms have been told to self isolate for 7 days, even a cough.

They estimate about 10,000 people in the UK have the virus, but it is no different to a cold for 90% of people that they won't even get tested. By telling anyone with even a cough to stay at home for a week they will slow the speed of the virus down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

bilston wrote: »
    How many?

I don't think they give any stats. Just anecdotal evidence shared by people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement