Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Just back from a walk as I was working from home all day and I so needed to get out and about. All pubs I passed in Stoneybatter were packed! Similar story with the restaurants.

Not sure if its a similar story in town. I know people are entitled to head out as the pubs are all still open; well for now... but I have to ask what’s the point of closing all the schools etc if a lot of people are mingling in pubs??! To me it’s just crazy and ignorant.

Yeah people are terrified of the huge death toll so far in Ireland. 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Whats to stop.this virus killing rich people

Like its a terrible decision,but pedelling conspiracy theories helps noone

The virus will mostly kill old people on pensions and requiring a lot of healthcare. So Johnson saves a few bob. Of course, they are usually the people who vote Tory so it's a short term strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

threeball wrote: »
    Save billions for a tanking economy post brexit.

It’s a great smokescreen, if the economy does tank the virus will be blamed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Just back from a walk as I was working from home all day and I so needed to get out and about. All pubs I passed in Stoneybatter were packed! Similar story with the restaurants.

Not sure if its a similar story in town. I know people are entitled to head out as the pubs are all still open; well for now... but I have to ask what’s the point of closing all the schools etc if a lot of people are mingling in pubs??! To me it’s just crazy and ignorant.

Large portion of the population have fully bought into the "tis only a bit of a cold" mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I said the same thing earlier . The same people are possibly bringing the virus back home . Infecting the kids who then become vectors . In my opinion the pubs should be also closed now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

darjeeling wrote: »
    Herd immunity is a key principle of vaccination.

If you immunise a high enough proportion of people then each person who catches an infectious disease will come into contact with few enough susceptible people to stop the disease from spreading.

The proportion required depends on how transmissible the disease is. For measles, which is extremely contagious, as much as 95% of the population must be immune to stop spread, but for this new virus it might be nearer 60%.

With no vaccine, the only way to get to 60% immunity is by people getting infected and recovering.

I can't see the UK reaching >50% immunity within 8 months without the NHS coming under intolerable strain, given what we've already seen in Italy.
    However herd immunity is probably our strategy here in Ireland too. Like the UK, try to flatten the curve as much as possible so that serious cases can be dealt with. Main difference being how it is presented to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

ITman88 wrote: »
    Grim.
    Ara twill next grand sure something was bound to wipe us out

Getting through that 12 pack? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Do people think that schools will be closed further if the situation doesnt get better? Arlene Foster in the north is saying schools will close eventually but when they do itll be the end of the academic year. Could that be repeated here?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Brexit means infected

In the brief time that we will still have you with us, I'd just like to thank you all for your vote and for making Brexit possible. We simply couldn't have done it without you. I wish you all, bon voyage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Lad on RTÉ said it’s grand to go out and about just to be smart, what the **** is going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

ITman88 wrote: »
    It’s a great smokescreen, if the economy does tank the virus will be blamed

It's already sliding so a great excuse for Bojo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What are you hearing?

Mad stuff altogether.

Guys the WhatsApp voice mail is utter bullsh*t.

The leaked army notice, a civilian would read that completely different to how a soldier would read it, honestly it means nothing.

The best thing most people can do is avoid the fake news on Facebook etc, follow the advice released by the HSE re hand hygiene, social spacing etc.

If you're hearing (WhatApp) messages about the army then check military.ie or the defence forces social media platforms and if its not on that then we're probably not doing it.

I'm a serving soldier btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,085 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I said the same thing earlier . The same people are possibly bringing the virus back home . Infecting the kids who then become vectors . In my opinion the pubs should be also closed now

Yes, the Govt may have no choice but to close all pubs and cafes quickly if a subset of eejits are incapable of following the guidelines.

I wouldn't go near a pub tonight and I'm fit and healthy and with a good immune system.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If you didn’t realize it would be forced closure of pubs that would stop the Irish going into pubs, you’ve not been paying attention to the country’s issues with alcohol for the last few decades.

Lad on RTÉ said it’s grand to go out and about just to be smart, what the **** is going on?

Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

last night, between 17:00 and 20:00 i had 3 door to door salespeople, first was for vodafone, second bord gais, never even found out who the third was before i told him to fcuk off.

The mind boggles, highly contagious virus and you're knocking door to door selling shite

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Large portion of the population have fully bought into the "tis only a bit of a cold" mindset.

This thread in no way is reflective of the general population.
    I spoke with people who would be considered high risk and they aren’t remotely worried and some are still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I also would'nt think the UK are going down the "let it play out/herd immunity" route, i think it's more simple than that, they are doing what they have always done and are doing things their own way, they like to be seen leading the way...and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This decision has Dominic Cummings written all over it.

I saw #CummingsCull on Twitter earlier

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Work keeps telling me it’s safe to go to work surrounded by 100 people even though my job can be done easily from home. Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Quick update on the stats....

A post every 15 seconds since this thread was opened up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

However herd immunity is probably our strategy here in Ireland too. Like the UK, try to flatten the curve as much as possible so that serious cases can be dealt with. Main difference being how it is presented to the public.

We're worlds apart from the UK. They're one step away from asking people to lick the hand rails on the tube.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Beasty wrote: »

Less now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Covid 19 - trolley buster!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Mad stuff altogether.

Guys the WhatsApp voice mail is utter bullsh*t.

The leaked army notice, a civilian would read that completely different to how a soldier would read it, honestly it means nothing.

The best thing most people can do is avoid the fake news on Facebook etc, follow the advice released by the HSE re hand hygiene, social spacing etc.

If you're hearing (WhatApp) messages about the army then check military.ie or the defence forces social media platforms and if its not on that then we're probably not doing it.

I'm a serving soldier btw.
    Thank you! Advice from an actual solider.

Absolute ****ing joke the amount of bull**** that is being spread around at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I read several weeks ago on the BBC website of reports from Wuhan of thousands of patients being discharged from the hospitals and having to be re-submitted due to being infected a second time, if those reports are true then surely there is no such thing as herd immunity?

The testing kits have been none too reliable. They were probably tested as being clear, erroneously, then follow up tests picked up on what the earlier ones had missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,676 ✭✭✭✭walshb

scudzilla wrote: »
    last night, between 17:00 and 20:00 i had 3 door to door salespeople, first was for vodafone, second bord gais, never even found out who the third was before i told him to fcuk off.

The mind boggles, highly contagious virus and you're knocking door to door selling shite

You didn’t have to open the door..

They usually just walk away, I find!

Beasty wrote: »

Fcuk you and yer stats.... there’s panic to be doin’ here. Jog on.

Getting through that 12 pack? :pac:

I’ve bad news . . . . I didn’t start it yet, wait until you see my theories come 11pm!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

Probabilities are only guidelines. There are by no means rules. Beware of hubris. In response to the people in the low-risk categories who all think that they will be fine, this will be true in most cases, but NOT in all cases. A walk around any hospital in the country will reveal many people who simply never believed that it could happen to them. Somebody in the low-risk may very well end up as one of the 'unlucky ones'. Young and old people, we should all unite as a society. There is no them and us. We all need to curtail this infection. And prevention is key! Please wash your hands and try to reduce contact. Stay safe!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement