Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dominoes and Just Eat sending out emails now telling of their concern for the virus and how to tackle it they have invented 'Contactless Food Delivery', aka chucking your pizza on the driveway and legging it

Anyone think closing the schools will turn out to be a wrong move? Lots of potential for child spread virus within the wider family, the possibly wrong assumption that children are being minded in the first place, mothers being torn between work and home. Does a parent retuning to homemaker role get paid for being a child minder and society protector?

Its the right move,and such decisive decison making in times of crisis should not be critised too much,assumtion being everyone is doing their best

Steps need to be taken to suspend mortgage paymwnts and utility bills,so people can afford to take time off

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Anyone have any iodine tablets from 2002? I wonder would that give it a bit of a kick

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

loganjo1 wrote: »
    Some fantastic news from South Korea. The South Koreans have been testing their population widely since the outbreak there in early February and are now testing 20,000 citizens a day. The data show a prevalence of the disease of around 7% of the population. This translates into 3.5 million infected citizens as of end of February. The daily death toll flattened out at the beginning of March and now the total number of deaths stands at 71. This is incredibly good news as it means the mortality rate is somewhere of the order 0.002%!!! Nothing like the crazy figures of 1 and 2% that have been bandied around. Looks like the worst we can expect in Ireland is around 100 deaths.

Look at the graph 3 posts up from yours...tells a different story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Were the 20 new cases today from travel abroad?
    No; 2 unknown, 4 healthcare workers was all the information, and no information about where in the country they came from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

A lad in works nephew was supposdely called up(idk if that right phrase,hes off at min?) and told to be prepared

Idk if this is standred behaviour though

Hope he’s not an English Teacher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 BetterWay

Quarantinies at my place tomorrow night. All invited.

A/S/L?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Some fantastic news from South Korea. The South Koreans have been testing their population widely since the outbreak there in early February and are now testing 20,000 citizens a day. The data show a prevalence of the disease of around 7% of the population. This translates into 3.5 million infected citizens as of end of February. The daily death toll flattened out at the beginning of March and now the total number of deaths stands at 71. This is incredibly good news as it means the mortality rate is somewhere of the order 0.002%!!! Nothing like the crazy figures of 1 and 2% that have been bandied around. Looks like the worst we can expect in Ireland is around 100 deaths.

Yeah, those Asia countries have stats completely opposite to Europe.
    No one knows why, could it be that many people are/have been infected with no symptoms and never passed the requirements for testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Cw85 wrote: »
    Anyone else here have friends or family on the Guards and Army that are hearing what I'm hearing?
    Are you for real? Jesus christ don't make a post like this without actual information. ****ing joke of a post.

People like yourself spreading panic needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Anyone have any iodine tablets from 2002? I wonder would that give it a bit of a kick

Yes.
    I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

What's this "herd immunity" business they are on about in the UK?

I thought herd immunity was when enough individuals survived to ensure the survival of the herd.

That means that lots of individuals can die, but as long as the herd survives its got "herd immunity".

Am I wrong on that interpretation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

Put your phone away

Speaking of phones, don't forget to decontaminate your phones regularly with disinfectants. They can harbour a lot of bugs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭threeball

The NHS is on its knees as it is

That chief medical officer who proposed this,will forever be haunted by this decision and ethically very wrong whats proposed here

Can stormont break away and do its own thing??

They made the same mistake with Spanish flu. That worked out well.

Its the right move,and such decisive decison making in times of crisis should not be critised too much,assumtion being everyone is doing their best

Steps need to be taken to suspend mortgage paymwnts and utility bills,so people can afford to take time off

I really don’t see how mortgage payments could be suspended tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I thought herd immunity was when enough individuals survived to ensure the survival of the herd.

That means that lots of individuals can die, but as long as the herd survives its got "herd immunity".

Basically, anyone who is a drain on the treasury expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

A lad in works nephew was supposdely called up(idk if that right phrase,hes off at min?) and told to be prepared

Idk if this is standred behaviour though

Idk...?
    You dont get charged per word here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Are you for real? Jesus christ don't make a post like this without actual information. ****ing joke of a post.

People like yourself spreading panic needlessly.

Stuff about the Army is just regular procedure : needing extra manpower and pairs of hands to help during the partial lockdown.

It's absolutely nothing to do with martial law, curfews, riots etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Were the 20 new cases today from travel abroad?

6 Travel related
    12 Local transmission
    2 Community transmission

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭threeball

Nope you're correct. Survival of the fittest. Boris is Hitler minus a dodgy tash.

• Advertisement

Seems to be the old and vulnerable will die, thus who survives has immunity, and has kids with possibly the same immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

That brought me back !
    I was also handed Tamiflu tablets by my employer at the time (during the Avian Flu epidemic).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

thats about right,

someone posted a tweet earlier
    herd immunity: 47 million infected, 1 million deaths, + further 8 million requiring critical care

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1238549442258763776?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

threeball wrote: »
    Nope you're correct. Survival of the fittest. Boris is Hitler minus a dodgy tash.

This decision has Dominic Cummings written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Incredible what they have done. Using mobile phone tracking to help identify where infected people have been. And keeping the public informed where and when cases pop up. I still think a big lesson that will be learnt is cutting out this east or west of the country sh1t

ITman88 wrote: »
    I really don’t see how mortgage payments could be suspended tho?

Just introduce the law

Italy did it,so obviously its not restricted under EU law....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-51814481

This is an obvious option for next move....do anyone honestly believe schools will be back before easter

• Registered Users Posts: 85,268 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No; 2 unknown, 4 healthcare workers was all the information, and no information about where in the country they came from.

One cluster of 16 people returning in a group home tested positive - Virgin Media News

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

fritzelly wrote: »
    6 Travel related
    12 Local transmission
    2 Community transmission

Still secrecy about locations?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement