Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

LRNM, re your observations about lack of accident and emergency activity, surely this shows so many walk-ins are malingerer typed who now realise they can stay at home and 'recover'

Truly remarkable how few are attending A+E now. Someone in HSE should have figured out why before now, but hopefully they will analyse it for the future.

Seems very odd to me that two weeks or so ago trolley watch was inundated, now, not so much.

This virus might sort out the messers eventually, and might also keep our ethnic friends away from AE shouting and roaring with multiple family members frightening the lives out of everyone, as they do.

I don't care about being called anything with the R word anymore now. This pandemic might focus minds on what is really important in our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It dropped massively when he closed the borders! Maybe it's relief of fed funds being released and that Jared Kushner is taking on a leading role.

Markets move up and down all the time. I don't know why so much attention is given to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If we agree
    To stay inside.
    Lock the kids in there bedroom.
    Not panic buy. Even eat small amounts of food.
    Close work places and employers will pay.

I know the benefit will be we might stop the spread of Coronavirus. But will they also agree to replace Tubridy as extra reward if we do everything correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

People coming back to Ireland from Spain and Italy will be asked to restrict their movements but no mention of Cheltenham returnees

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

voluntary wrote: »
    I don't think they give any stats. Just anecdotal evidence shared by people.

I suppose it is inevitable that some younger people will need critical care, hopefully the numbers are very small.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The folks swamping around town having their Friday night pints are morons. What's more, there's going to be a heap of them who do something utterly stupid and wind up in a&e.

While I do believe the cast majority are fine, the absolute fvckwittery and dregs of our society will be highlighted by a lot of this.

So long as I have my bit of fun is the attitude for them.

D!ckheads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's amazing how the stock market jumped with Trumps emotional melodramatic speeches
    Aye H. Mad alright. It has long been my take on the stock market that it's down to the internal highly reactive whims of the market itself, with any sort of confidence boost or hit upping or lowering values, rather than any particular foresight or "value" involved. The market and those in it that claim wider expertise has always seemed a hollow claim in my eyes. For the majority involved anyway. For a start they're woefully inept at predicting crashes, or booms for that matter. Sure some again claim it, but it's more like a stopped clock being right twice a day. These sudden lurches up and down have also been facilitated and exaggerated by the computing technology that has taken it over. It's basically not much more than a mafia numbers racket in better suits.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Truly remarkable how few are attending A+E now. Someone in HSE should have figured out why before now, but hopefully they will analyse it for the future.

Seems very odd to me that two weeks or so ago trolley watch was inundated, now, not so much.

This virus might sort out the messers eventually, and might also keep our ethnic friends away from AE shouting and roaring with multiple family members frightening the lives out of everyone, as they do.

I don't care about being called anything with the R word anymore now. This pandemic might focus minds on what is really important in our lives.

People may be delaying to go to hospital and making themselves sicker. It's unclear at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Mad stuff altogether.

Guys the WhatsApp voice mail is utter bullsh*t.

The leaked army notice, a civilian would read that completely different to how a soldier would read it, honestly it means nothing.

The best thing most people can do is avoid the fake news on Facebook etc, follow the advice released by the HSE re hand hygiene, social spacing etc.

If you're hearing (WhatApp) messages about the army then check military.ie or the defence forces social media platforms and if its not on that then we're probably not doing it.

I'm a serving soldier btw.

Yep, too much misinformation out there.

People just need to know we will be more visible in a non military role, maintaining essential services if required.

Also whatever HSE/AGS need us to do. Logistics, medical, communications, administration...

....and kicking doors in to hunt the infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

So after ~10 days of doing nothing but reading this thread and other parts of the internet, regrettably I had no choice but to do a bit of work yesterday and today. Totally moved the office home yesterday evening and will be working at home for the foreseeable future. My manager joked that I’d be far too much of a contrarian to generally follow official advice but as soon as An Taoiseach said you should work from home, I was out the door before you could say covid19.

As always, I get more done when working from home, managed to avoid non-work browsing and got plenty done today.

Also this interesting breakdown of Italy deaths by age group and in the thread, cases by age group and comparisons with China.

https://twitter.com/mmqwalker/status/1238522055643074561?s=21
    Not to rain on your parade, but take a look at today's age breakdown in Ireland. Glad I'm over 65. Course I may pop my clogs, and hope fully they'll all recover, we'll probably know in a couple of years. But apples remain apples and oranges oranges. Differences in demographics tend to nullify your conclusions. Seem to have quoted wrong post, ah ha, https://twitter.com/mmqwalker/status...643074561?s=21, didn't show up in quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Just back from a walk as I was working from home all day and I so needed to get out and about. All pubs I passed in Stoneybatter were packed! Similar story with the restaurants.

Not sure if its a similar story in town. I know people are entitled to head out as the pubs are all still open; well for now... but I have to ask what’s the point of closing all the schools etc if a lot of people are mingling in pubs??! To me it’s just crazy and ignorant.

It was said when this was announced that this was to socially isolate and not to use the time to go out like the Italians did to cafes and wine bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Strazdas wrote: »
    Dept of Foreign Affairs advises a 'high degree of caution' before deciding to travel to other EU states
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    People coming back to Ireland from Spain and Italy will be asked to restrict their movements but no mention of Cheltenham returnees

While the UK let it run rampant, meanwhile Spain shutting down whole towns. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,071 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Also this interesting breakdown of Italy deaths by age group and in the thread, cases by age group and comparisons with China.

https://twitter.com/mmqwalker/status/1238522055643074561?s=21

Those stats only add up to 50%

I’m guess it’s mortality rate not a breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

HERD IMMUNITY.

That's what we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Now govt is advising/warning not to travel to any EU state. (LLS just now)
    Just stop the bloody flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Simon Coveney basically saying do not travel.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Literally changes by the hour.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

"Please work from home for 2 weeks if you can. If you can't then that's ok. Next."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Mellor wrote: »
    Those stats only add up to 50%

That’s because they’re the percentage of confirmed cases in each age group that died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

HERD IMMUNITY.

That's what we need.

Loved their third album to be fair...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

bekker wrote: »
    Not to rain on your parade, but take a look at today's age breakdown in Ireland. Glad I'm over 65.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ellsbells1

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'd bet the house on it being until September. Start with a couple of weeks and settle people into the idea and a routine.

Do you really? It’s very scary times. Anybody else any opinions on how long the kids will be off school? Our numbers went down on yesterday but are they about to jump now that anyone can be tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Not to rain on your parade, but take a look at today's age breakdown in Ireland. Glad I'm over 65.

Only one case dead so far so that’s several age groups with 0% of confirmed cases dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,085 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Now govt is advising/warning not to travel to any EU state. (LLS just now)
    Just stop the bloody flights.

A travel ban will probably quickly follow

Presumably numbers are low already......tourism is taking a hammering

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Have you a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

Think I have the bloody thing. Took every measure the past 2 weeks washing hands and sanitising everything even change in my pocket; but had to sit in meetings with people all week and there was one who had a really nasty chest infection and sniffles..

Just feels like I've been out all day in the cold and rain, that feeling in the chest of burning from inhaling cold air you know? Yesterday was the start of a dry cough, today not as bad. Sinuses bad anyway this time of year, but noticeable pressure changes.

Maybe it is something else entirely. Suppose I should phone the GP in the morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Simon Coveney basically saying do not travel.

I get it sucks for the airlines but I’d really appreciate it evolving beyond “basically saying”. Unless they force refunds, people will keep traveling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Also, some absolute gowl spat right in front me today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

It dropped massively when he closed the borders! Maybe it's relief of fed funds being released and that Jared Kushner is taking on a leading role.

The Eu are pumping 120 billion euro into the European markets.
    Orange man is bad though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

bilston wrote: »
    As funny a one liner as that is (and I did chuckle), but it's not really true.

Anyone with even minor symtpoms have been told to self isolate for 7 days, even a cough.

They estimate about 10,000 people in the UK have the virus, but it is no different to a cold for 90% of people that they won't even get tested. By telling anyone with even a cough to stay at home for a week they will slow the speed of the virus down.

In that case our measures will slow it to a crawl but I don't think that's the reality. The next 3 days are going to see a dramatic upswing in cases and deaths I'd be willing to bet. They are openly pursuing herd immunity. Normally only done through vaccine deployment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement