Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Exit Poll

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Blazer wrote: »
    Matt Cooper is a wanker of the highest order
    He is supposed to be impartial . We are not supposed to know his political views .

Sack that Plonker .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

blinding wrote: »
    He is supposed to be impartial . We are not supposed to know his political views .

Sack that Plonker .

What makes you think he's supposed to be impartial?

Kivaro wrote: »
    I would love to see the 21% Casey vote launch a boycott on companies that advertise during the Matt Cooper show.
    Matt's policy is either to have a liberal view on all things politics/social or have no voice at all.
    Cooper and his fellow travellers have lost the run off themselves . They are pushing an agenda and not being impartial in the way they present their programme .

Get Fair and Impartial People into these jobs .

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What makes you think he's supposed to be impartial?
    When you are presenting Political shows people think that you are going to give a Fair and Impartial chance to all . Most People do not realise these glorified disc jockeys are pushing their own favoured political agendas .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

For all the complaining, lifted straight from the US, about liberals and snowflakes on here, AH has really taken a real swing to the right as you can see from the polls and rhetoric around this election. Thankfully, it doesn't really translate to real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

blinding wrote: »
    When you are presenting Political shows people think that you are going to give a Fair and Impartial chance to all . Most People do not realise these glorified disc jockeys are pushing their own favoured political agendas .

It's an opinion show on a commercial radio station. Anyone who thinks the host of such a show is unbiased and impartial is living in a fantasy world. It's also very easy to just switch off the radio too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Rte saying that Casey ahead in letterkenny (I think.) in early tallies (4%).

Most of the rest of the tallies in line with the exit poll.

https://twitter.com/rte/status/1056113906681307137?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I didn't like any of the candidates to be honest, this is the first time in years I didn't bother voting

Would always vote, if you didn't like any of them spoiling the ballot would have been better than not voting imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

For all the complaining, lifted straight from the US, about liberals and snowflakes on here, AH has really taken a real swing to the right as you can see from the polls and rhetoric around this election. Thankfully, it doesn't really translate to real life.

The poll shows that is does translate substantially to real life.
    It's doubtful that Casey would have done half as well if MDH wasn't a shoe-in anyway, but still, 20 percent based off little more than a bit of populist retheric can't be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Casey apparently topped the poll in a polling station in Rathkeale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I didn't like any of the candidates to be honest, this is the first time in years I didn't bother voting

Would always vote, if you didn't like any of them spoiling the ballot would have been better than not voting imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hurrache wrote: »
    Casey apparently topped the poll in a polling station in Rathkeale.

I used to do a regular drop there dunno if it's changed but back then it was one small town with two worlds in it. The traveller homes round the edges were as gaudily hideous as you'd expect and the inner villagers homes were smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

We are desperate for real leaders. Not clowns like that cnut varadkar. Casey could be the man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

We are desperate for real leaders. Not clowns like that cnut varadkar. Casey could be the man

A guy that wants Ireland to leave the EU is the type of leader we need? Give over would you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

I don’t think it has anything to do with a ‘swing to the right’.

What the left/liberals fail to learn from this is that Casey has demonstrated you actually can commit blasphemy against the devout left and avoid mainstream ex-communication.

Travellers/welfare is just the hot button, it could have been any issue where leftist dogma has been held sacred.

The point is that it is becoming vanishingly rare that someone stands their ground and refuses to genuflect or confess their sins. The vote shows that there is weariness around one religious dogma being replaced by another.

Kivaro wrote: »
    The Irish welfare state as it currently stands is not sustainable.

Ireland as it currently stands is not sustainable. How many large US private businesses would have to leave to wipe out a large percentage of Ireland's GDP? 4? 5? And why? Because we've never bothered working on the long-term task of nurturing sufficient indigenous industries. What about the enormous and rapidly growing gap between the richest and poorest in this state, with the group in the middle paying marginal tax rates of up to 60%?

But in After Hours there's not a mention of all the parasites at the top of this society with their dodgy tax consultants and dodgy corporate lawyers facilitated by dodgy legislators passing their dodgy legislation in Dáil Éireann. These people would look down on all the people here who avoid attacking them and instead attack the welfare class in a bizarre rendition of snobbery from poor people against poorer people. Yeats's "Beggars on horseback" - "A beggar upon horseback lashes a beggar on foot." - are everywhere in Irish society in 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

So it's Telling It Like It is for Casey to make negative generalizations about all travellers based on the behaviour of some travellers, but saying that Casey voters were largely motivated by kneejerk bigotry is a unfair, ignorant generalization that only pushes good people even further right?

If that is true of Casey voters, surely making the same kind of negative generalization about travellers only pushes them even further away from the rest of society?

Like, I understand that the behaviour of some travellers is a huge problem for some communities, but what exactly is achieved by Casey tarring all travellers with the same brush? Might feel good for about 5 minutes, but it pretty much wrecks all the efforts made to integrate travellers into ordinary society.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I really hate this dressing up as everything as left and right , it's not applicable to Ireland

Ireland is for the most part a centerist country where people make up their mind on issue at hand (with not inconsiderable media influence)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

This whole thing started over " traveller culture ".
    The traveller families cannot accept houses without stables and land for horses because of their "culture "
    Traveller culture has them as nomadic self sufficient religious people. They have no problem forgoing the culture to take permanent housing, handfuls of welfare and a large proportion of them robbing and stealing and ignoring the rules that don't suit them.

Travellers culture is a PC bullsh1t term for the absolute scumbaggery of travellers in general.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

More fool the hoodwinked idiots for giving tax exile sleveen Casey their number 1 vote.

The irony is very strong here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

h3000 wrote: »
    Over six figures? Jaysus fair play to you on a mill plus a year.

A million has 6 zeros after it, one million and anything over it has seven figures plus. And they say the uneducated vote for Casey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Ireland as it currently stands is not sustainable. How many large US private businesses would have to leave to wipe out a large percentage of Ireland's GDP? 4? 5? And why? Because we've never bothered working on the long-term task of nurturing sufficient indigenous industries. What about the enormous and rapidly growing gap between the richest and poorest in this state, with the group in the middle paying marginal tax rates of up to 60%?

We’d never have produced a capitalist class that would match intel or Facebook.
    But in After Hours there's not a mention of all the parasites at the top of this society with their dodgy tax consultants and dodgy corporate lawyers facilitated by dodgy legislators passing their dodgy legislation in Dáil Éireann. These people would look down on all the people here who avoid attacking them and instead attack the welfare class in a bizarre rendition of snobbery from poor people against poorer people. Yeats's "Beggars on horseback" - "A beggar upon horseback lashes a beggar on foot." - are everywhere in Irish society in 2018.

That’s a false dilemma. People often do criticise both, but the former is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭omega man

JupiterKid wrote: »
    More fool the hoodwinked idiots for giving tax exile sleveen Casey their number 1 vote.

The irony is very strong here...

His Irish businesses pay tax here and I’m sure he employs a number of people. Isn’t he also in the process of transferring permanently from the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

omega man wrote: »
    His Irish businesses pay tax here and I’m sure he employs a number of people. Isn’t he also in the process of transferring permanently from the US?

I'm in the process of finding a cure for cancer meself :pac:

What fucking process is there other than hopping on a plane? He did that already.

The complicated bit is travelling back to the US to make sure he keeps his status there. So he has had to have been actively keeping his status there. If he didn't act, he'd have been "permanent" here already.

Someone should report him to USCIS :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I doubt many people who voted for Casey give two hoots about his tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Cyrus T Buford

I made a slight mistake, i doubt it will make a difference though!

I was under the impression that votes were non-transferrable. I was going to put a number 2 and 3...but only ended up putting one as i was told on the way to the polling station that they were not transferrable. It was only today on the news i realised i was wrong to think that.

I put Liadh Ni Riada as number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

"tin tin"O'Toole on radio 1 now giving his sermon on me and the rest of the bigots who voted from Casey.Irish times as relevant as the dodo.he wants us to be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Well he lost the popular vote comfortably...so if it was translated to our presidential election he would have 99.99999999999% lost.

So did JFK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭omega man

boggerman1 wrote: »
    "tin tin"O'Toole on radio 1 now giving his sermon on me and the rest of the bigots who voted from Casey.Irish times as relevant as the dodo.he wants us to be ignored.

Well he and many others are talking about him today aren’t they so keep the debate going I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I doubt many people who voted for Casey give two hoots about his tax.

Bit ironic though to vote for a fella who used demagoguery about travellers not paying tax when he himself avoids it?

If he had gotten the role he was standing for, he wouldn't even have been able to effect any change on his "issues".

The people are easily fooled.

Next election we might have a traveller standing on the platform of Peter Casey not paying tax :pac:

Advertisement