Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Exit Poll

Options

Comments

Idbatterim wrote: »
    of course he is paying tax here, isnt he no doubt paying lpt , vat, excise duty etc?

leo pays all that and paye and prsi on top

will you be voting leo next time round

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

of course he is paying tax here, isnt he no doubt paying lpt , vat, excise duty etc?

Ah get out of that.

He chooses to pay his income tax to the US though to save himself a few bob. Was on the radio this morning complaining about the state of the HSE, lack of funding and then remarked how much he contributes to medicaid in the US.

I don't know about you, but if I had a choice between giving 50 Euro to help my family/community or setting fire to 40 Euro, I'd choose the former.

Castigates travellers then for allegedly choosing not to pay tax when he does the same himself. :pac: . Ah but sure they pay tax if they buy a packet of sweets in the shop don't they? So they must be grand eh? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

my response was tongue in cheek, sure when we hear about the welfare wasters. dont we hear all about they tax they pay? with their free money? given to them by the likes of peter casey. you can be sure he's not bleeding the system dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ah get out of that.

He chooses to pay his income tax to the US though to save himself a few bob. Was on the radio this morning complaining about the state of the HSE, lack of funding and then remarked how much he contributes to medicaid in the US.

I don't know about you, but if I had a choice between giving 50 Euro to help my family/community or setting fire to 40 Euro, I'd choose the former.

Castigates travellers then for allegedly choosing not to pay tax when he does the same himself. :pac: . Ah but sure they pay tax if they buy a packet of sweets in the shop don't they? So they must be grand eh? :pac:

the value for money here from the public service, is comedy gold! throwing more money at is, isnt the solution!

the value for money here from the public service, is comedy gold! throwing more money at is, isnt the solution!

So it's grand for Casey to avoid tax because there isn't value for money from public services. Surely the travelers who don't pay tax then can use the same logic? Or is their extra sin the fact that they avoid less?

Lets use rounded numbers. Say tax in Ireland is 50%. That's set as the fair share contribution for someone living in Ireland. Say in the US it's 35%. Mr. Casey's salary is say 1m Euro a year. He has two choices

1) Pay 500k Euro to the Irish state and keep 500k for himself
    2) Maintain a second home in the US, fly back there for more than half a year, hand them 350k and take home 650k minus whatever expenses used in maintaining his status there.

Casey chooses 2 which means not contributing his fair share to the Irish state. Which he is entitled to do legally. But in my view, it removes any plausibly semblance of appropriateness for the head of state. We should have moved on from the days of Haughey et. al. riding the populace wholesale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

So it's grand for Casey to avoid tax because there isn't value for money from public services. Surely the travelers who don't pay tax then can use the same logic? Or is their extra sin the fact that they avoid less?

Lets use rounded numbers. Say tax in Ireland is 50%. That's set as the fair share contribution for someone living in Ireland. Say in the US it's 35%. Mr. Casey's salary is say 1m Euro a year. He has two choices

1) Pay 500k Euro to the Irish state and keep 500k for himself
    2) Maintain a second home in the US, fly back there for more than half a year, hand them 350k and take home 650k minus whatever expenses used in maintaining his status there.

Casey chooses 2 which means not contributing his fair share to the Irish state. Which he is entitled to do legally. But in my view, it removes any plausibly semblance of appropriateness for the head of state. We should have moved on from the days of Haughey et. al. riding the populace wholesale

Before she became president, Mary McAleese was pro-vice-chancellor of Queen's University, Belfast, and presumably paying her taxes to Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs.

Before she became president, Mary McAleese was pro-vice-chancellor of Queen's University, Belfast, and presumably paying her taxes to Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs.

Was she living in the Republic and moving abroad for months to pay less taxes overall, and zero to the Irish state? I would imagine there is a good chance that she was working and living in the Republic at that time, and paying her taxes to the Republic.

Casey is a Nordie too btw.

I would imagine there is a good chance that she was working and living in the Republic at that time, and paying her taxes to the Republic.

You imagine that for the circa 10 years before she became president, she was working at Queens University, Belfast, but somehow living in the Republic? Any source for that?

You imagine that for the circa 10 years before she became president, she was working at Queens University, Belfast, but somehow living in the Republic? Any source for that?

I have no idea.

Pro-Vice Chancellor isn't a 9-5 position.

She wouldn't have to be living there full-time to act in that capacity.

If you have any information or evidence to the contrary, please feel free to provide it.

Even if she was, she'd be living and working there. Casey lives in Donegal. But gets out for long enough each year that he doesn't have to pay tax. If he fecked off across the border to Derry and paid tax there then at least he'd be helping some of his fellow citizens! If he lived in the US and paid tax there then fair enough, but he doesn't. He lives in Ireland but moves there temporarily to avoid paying his fair share

I have no idea.

Well, thanks for admitting that. :)

An Independent article from August 2000 noted that McAleese and her husband had recently sold 70 Stranmillis Gardens, described as a three-bedroom house in an upmarket area close to Queen's University. I find it much more likely that McAleese resided there while working at the university -- as opposed to the fanciful notion that she was commuting from the Republic.

Like most other employees of Queens, McAleese was most likely paying her taxes to Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs, and not to the Republic of Ireland.

• Advertisement

Well, thanks for admitting that. :)

An Independent article from August 2000 noted that McAleese and her husband had recently sold 70 Stranmillis Gardens, described as a three-bedroom house in an upmarket area close to Queen's University. I find it much more likely that McAleese resided there while working at the university -- as opposed to the fanciful notion that she was commuting from the Republic.

Like most other employees of Queens, McAleese was most likely paying her taxes to Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs, and not to the Republic of Ireland.

And what is the point?

Did she make hypocritical claims and attacks against people for not paying tax in the Republic?

She was from Northern Ireland. Which at that point in time was still claimed by the Republic. She lived there and paid taxes there. I don't see any issue whatsoever

Casey went from 1% to 20% on the back of eejits listening to him about spongers and travellers not paying tax, all the while he was paying the US government so that he could avoid paying taxes at home :pac:

If he lived in the US and paid tax there then fair enough, but he doesn't. He lives in Ireland but moves there temporarily to avoid paying his fair share

You are tax resident in Ireland if you spend more than 183 days in the country in any single year, or more than 280 days across any two years. So if Casey has a home in Donegal and a home in the US, he could spend at most 140 days a year in Ireland on average -- or about four and a half months per annum.

The notion that he could avoid becoming tax resident in Ireland by taking some temporary trips to the US is not accurate. He would be tax resident unless he spent seven and a half months each year on average outside Ireland.

Even if he did move permanently to Ireland, citizens and permanent residents of the US are taxable on their worldwide income, regardless of where they live.

She was from Northern Ireland. Which at that point in time was still claimed by the Republic. She lived there and paid taxes there. I don't see any issue whatsoever

You are attacking Peter Casey for running for president while not paying tax in Ireland, and for paying tax to a foreign government, when now you "don't see any issue whatsoever" with Mary McAleese having done exactly the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Great speech from our President

Casey's speech now...

"Thank you she's from Crumlin"

Just imagine he'd have been elected.
    What an embarrassment he'd have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

He was never going to get elected. No need to get yer undies in a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Where was this dignity from all 6 candidates during that shambles of a campaign?

You are tax resident in Ireland if you spend more than 183 days in the country in any single year, or more than 280 days across any two years. So if Casey has a home in Donegal and a home in the US, he could spend at most 140 days a year in Ireland on average -- or about four and a half months per annum.

The notion that he could avoid becoming tax resident in Ireland by taking some temporary trips to the US is not accurate. He would be tax resident unless he spent seven and a half months each year on average outside Ireland.

Even if he did move permanently to Ireland, citizens and permanent residents of the US are taxable on their worldwide income, regardless of where they live.

I'm aware of the rules.

My source for the fact that Casey pays his tax in the US instead of Ireland comes from the unverified and unreliable source of himself admitting it on national radio this morning. I can find the podcast if you don't believe me. Or have a look for it yourself. I think it was on the Marian Finucane show.

US citizens (not just residents) are taxable on their income. But due to dual taxation treaties, they get a credit for paying income tax to the place where they do live. As the US is generally lower tax than other developed countries, it usually means that they don't have to pay to US.

Edit: Knock yourself out.
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=b9%5F21454877%5F70%5F27%2D10%2D2018%5F
    From about 15:10 for him bragging about not being tax resident in Ireland but paying his contribution to US medicare. Listen back to the earlier part of the interview for him to moan about the health service in Ireland being underfunded.

You are attacking Peter Casey for running for president while not paying tax in Ireland, and for paying tax to a foreign government, when now you "don't see any issue whatsoever" with Mary McAleese having done exactly the same thing.

Ah here me oul' flower. You are clutching at straws.

Go ahead and give the multi-millionaire tax avoider your vote purely because he ranted about 6 Traveller families not paying tax if you want. It is your vote and you can give it to whoever you want. You are entitled to do that, and we are entitled to laugh at you for being taken in so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Go ahead and give the multi-millionaire tax avoider your vote purely because he ranted about 6 Traveller families not paying tax if you want. It is your vote and you can give it to whoever you want. You are entitled to do that, and we are entitled to laugh at you for being taken in so easily.

Surely these Casey voters are the winners here. They delivered a message effectively without the downside of electing a rich tax avoider.

And it's disingenuous to pretend the message was just about 6 families

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

No one is laughing only complete morons. Bit like when you used to try to be funny with that user name.

• Advertisement

Jackman25 wrote: »
    No one is laughing only complete morons. Bit like when you used to try to be funny with that user name.

When I used to try to be funny?

A good memory for someone with a join date of October 2018

Might not see ya round these parts for too much longer eh?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭robbiezero

honeybear wrote: »
    Strong Casey Tipp vote

Where Tipperary leads, Ireland follows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

robbiezero wrote: »
    Where Tipperary leads, Ireland follows

H'on our crowd 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

When I used to try to be funny?

A good memory for someone with a join date of October 2018

Might not see ya round these parts for too much longer eh?

:pac:

Ok that was a bit harsh. Some of your stuff was quite funny.
    I still disagree that many people are laughing at Casey voters.

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Ok that was a bit harsh. Some of your stuff was quite funny.
    I still disagree that many people are laughing at Casey voters.

I'm not laughing. I'm actually disappointed at how much he got.

Because he didn't seem to have anything else going for him. I could understand if he had some good policies, was a good speaker but happened to say a few mental things which people later ignored or even agreed with as part of the package.

But he didn't. He went from 1% to 20% on the back of saying a few populist things. To people looking for a protest vote, I'd say to try to at least find a candidate who has a bit of cop-on and skill in other areas too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,720 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Austria! wrote: »
    Surely these Casey voters are the winners here. They delivered a message effectively without the downside of electing a rich tax avoider.

And it's disingenuous to pretend the message was just about 6 families
    What was the message about? Was it about proving the old adage that you can fool some of the people some of the time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

What was the message about? Was it about proving the old adage that you can fool some of the people some of the time?
    A lot of it was a Law and order Vote . Rural People have had enough of being intimidated , thieved from and burgled .

Hopefully the political establishment get the message . It would be very remiss of them to ignore the message .

He went from 1% to 20% on the back of saying a few populist things.

1% to 23%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Any way to see individual ballot areas-would say my area might be near 50% Casey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭omega man

Reminds me of Bush Jr. when he said “There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.'"

Advertisement