Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Exit Poll

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

MJohnston wrote: »
    Nah, thankfully 79% of the country are still sound.

79% of the country voted against anchor baby’s. We’re still getting shafted by them once they do a petition going.

listermint wrote: »
    Reason he jumped to 21 is because he said he hates travelers.

And there is a minority out there that are *****

Yes . Minority. And theyre *****.

If it was up to that 21% we probably all be broke living back under the Catholic church and eating spuds praying to a statue of Dev

Could we have a quote to back up the first sentence??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

So Donald, would you be happy if a traveller's halting site was built beside your house?

so

are the casey crowd represented in this poll liars, trolls or paid?

Paid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So did JFK

Point being what? The USA electoral collage system is utterly different to the Irish PR system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

omega man wrote: »
    Well he and many others are talking about him today aren’t they so keep the debate going I say.

Except the "debate" will all turn into an "Isn't it shocking that there are so many racists in Ireland" and horror at Peter Casey's comments. We'll hear scarcely a word about why people felt they had to vote for him. I still think that by and large, Irish people are tolerant folk. The Marriage Equality and the 8th Amendment referendums passed comfortably. The difference is that many Irish people have first-hand negative experiences with the travelling community. Even if they don't, they don't have to look too far to see evidence of their lawless ways. Yet they're being indulged at a time when ordinary working people are being given a raw deal. It's the same regarding social welfare "lifers" who seem to be doing just fine. If you're getting up at ungodly o'clock to go to work, see how much tax comes out of your net pay and are paying hand over fist for everything, it's hard not to resent the unfairness of it all.

What I'd like to know is why travellers are being allowed to thrive and live lawless lives without any consequences. If I lived in Foxrock and decided to start burning my rubbish on the front lawn, how long do you think I'd be allowed to get away with that? Or if I kept malnourished horses around the house, didn't ensure my kids got a proper education and indulged in some petty crime. But of course all this is bigotry, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So Donald, would you be happy if a traveller's halting site was built beside your house?

What has that got to do with the role of the President of Ireland?

Role of the President is to be a figurehead for the state. To receive foreign dignatories and to go abroad in a diplomatic capacity and present a good image of Ireland. (Plus some technical legal signing duties)

As I said in an earlier post a few days back, voting for him for President based on his opinion on Travellers makes as much sense as voting for him based on his opinion of whether Jose Mourinho should be sacked or not

If he wants to do something about those particular local issues, let him run for a role in which he can actually effect change.

Do you think that if Casey was President that that would mean that there would be no more halting sites built? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Role of the President is to be a figurehead for the state. To receive foreign dignatories and to go abroad in a diplomatic capacity and present a good image of Ireland. (Plus some technical legal signing duties)

As I said in an earlier post a few days back, voting for him for President based on his opinion on Travellers makes as much sense as voting for him based on his opinion of whether Jose Mourinho should be sacked or not

If he wants to do something about those particular local issues, let him run for a role in which he can actually effect change.

Do you think that if Casey was President that that would mean that there would be no more halting sites built? :confused:

I and others I know voted for him not because we thought he would get in or even be able to make a difference if he got in (not that we wanted him to get in), but because of the reaction of the media and others condemning him for having the audacity of having an opinion, an opinion in which it seems a lot of people resonate with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Paid!!

When did you make that bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    I and others I know voted for him not because we thought he would get in or even be able to make a difference if he got in (not that we wanted him to get in), but because of the reaction of the media and others condemning him for having the audacity of having an opinion, an opinion in which it seems a lot of people resonate with.

Well would you vote for anyone who made a "controversial" opinion or would you also have to agree with it?

Maybe Gavin Duffy should have stood up and said "Martin O'Neill is a useless cunt and should be sacked as manager of the Irish soccerball team". Might have gotten a few eejits to give him their presidential votes and helped him to get his expenses back :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Evd-Burner wrote: »

And exactly what is his opinion?

Peter Casey on the travelling community 16th October 2018:

"it’s wrong to single out one particular ethnic group differently"

Peter Casey on the travelling community 27th October 2018:

If I won I was going to suggest that we invite all of the Travelling community to move into the Phoenix Park for a five-year period

Casey is nothing more than an attention seeker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Just answer the question 😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Except the "debate" will all turn into an "Isn't it shocking that there are so many racists in Ireland" and horror at Peter Casey's comments.

From what I can see, that's the general tenor of the Irish media today. Trying to turn it into progressives vs. racists scenario, with lots of hand-wringing but absolutely no insight into the fact that hese votes did not come from racists. The came from working people who are increasingly priced out of the housing market, increasingly unable to afford children of their own, and yet are taxed punitively to keep welfare lifers with seven children in free cash and free houses.

It's a vote that came about due to the profound unfairness of Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

It's a vote that came about due to the profound unfairness of Irish society.

I'd echo this. The Times & Indo are saying the "Casey Surge" was due to his Traveller comments. While The Daily Mail nails the actual reason (IMO of course)

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/idm-9.jpg

The "people who pay for everything" are fed up. I don't know anyone who voted for Casey because of Traveller comments. They were all protesting about welfare entitlement culture and the lack of any politicians willing to challenge it. Send out a message that there's potentially a large number of votes out there for someone who'll dare to challenge the status quo

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Bit ironic though to vote for a fella who used demagoguery about travellers not paying tax when he himself avoids it?

If he had gotten the role he was standing for, he wouldn't even have been able to effect any change on his "issues".

The people are easily fooled.

Next election we might have a traveller standing on the platform of Peter Casey not paying tax :pac:

How is he avoiding paying tax?
    What exactly have people been easily fooled about?

Fanny **** wrote: »
    I'd echo this. The Times & Indo are saying the "Casey Surge" was due to his Traveller comments. While The Daily Mail nails the actual reason (IMO of course)

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/idm-9.jpg

The "people who pay for everything" are fed up. I don't know anyone who voted for Casey because of Traveller comments. They were all protesting about welfare entitlement culture and the lack of any politicians willing to challenge it. Send out a message that there's potentially a large number of votes out there for someone who'll dare to challenge the status quo

wealthy businessmen not paying fair levels of tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Jackman25 wrote: »
    How is he avoiding paying tax?
    What exactly have people been easily fooled about?

Gods knows, but they are all fools and that’s what’s important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭omega man

What’s your source? Please link the stats on his personal and business tax contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

In relation to how he or others do it they would say I do the same if I could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

So now, what's to be done about all the people that think wrongly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Casey Bots seem to be at work on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So now, what's to be done about all the people that think wrongly?

Ah now Higgins is a good president:D

listermint wrote: »
    Liberal elite pc maga yada yada yada.

If you want your voice heard then go speak to your local councillor and chat to the local td they have open offices and raise your concern on the doorstep too.

Don't be a fool and measure yourself off stupid internet memes from other countries.

The president had no power here to do what you think they can do. It's not a protest vote it's just silly.

If you want yourself heard its in your power. If you aren't doing it then you are as lazy as those you chose to give out about.

And it appears there are alot of lazy People in here.

Your local TD will listen to you, go to the party with your concerns, then follow the party whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Horses need to be not seen a part of Traveller culture.

We in Kilkenny had a Traveller horse last year which was drowned in the river Nore. People were called racist for speaking out against Travellers and their treatment of animals.
    Then two months later this happened in Kilkenny on the streets, the horse was so badly injured it had to be put down, which was left there...

Apparently in Carlow/Kilkenny, Peter Casey will get about a third of the vote. I can see events like this influenced things here.

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/243803/kilkenny-traveller-community-movement-slams-recent-racism-and-hate-speech-following-incidents-of-animal-cruelty.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Casey Bots seem to be at work on boards.ie
    it's mad the way all these rural elderly idiot racists are so computer literate isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

it's mad the way all these rural elderly idiot racists are so computer literate isn't it?

AI has come so far that these bots can walk in to a polling station and vote aswell.

AI has come so far that these bots can walk in to a polling station and vote aswell.

how does this tally with the 21% figure then?

more than half the posts in this thread are for him, significantly more id say.

more than half the poll is for him.

you'd see why ppl would be taking the huge boards support for casey with a pinch of salt.

its all the same anti-govt brigade as far as i can see. id just be curious as to what drives em all and why they cant be open about it.

if gallagher had finished second on 21% it'd be his banner they were assembled under today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

honeybear wrote: »
    Tipp poster here-would not be surprised with high Casey vote

Strong Casey Tipp vote

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Voted Nì Riada no.1

Yes to repeal Blasphemy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

of course he is paying tax here, isnt he no doubt paying lpt , vat, excise duty etc?

Advertisement