Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12 Final Build up thread: uppity westerners v their ladyboy brothers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

LEINSTER (Leinster caps in bracket):

15. Rob Kearney (175)
    14. Dave Kearney (102)
    13. Garry Ringrose (21)
    12. Ben Te'o (39)
    11. Luke Fitzgerald (153)
    10. Johnny Sexton (125)
    9. Eoin Reddan (139)
    1. Jack McGrath (94)
    2. Richard Strauss (130)
    3. Mike Ross (134)
    4. Ross Molony (22)
    5. Mick Kearney (8)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (112)
    7. Jordi Murphy (79)
    8. Jamie Heaslip (216) CAPTAIN

16. Sean Cronin (113)
    17. Peter Dooley (20)
    18. Tadhg Furlong (50)
    19. Hayden Triggs (14)
    20. Jack Conan (30)
    21. Luke McGrath (49)
    22. Ian Madigan (146)
    23. Zane Kirchner (64)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

No Nacewa. Massive blow for Leinster

PS No Toner???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭LostArt

No Dev too. F*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Eh where the f*** are Toner and Nacewa!?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Connacht team to face Leinster Rugby, Saturday 28th May, BT Murrayfield, 5:30pm

15 Tiernan O’Halloran
    14 Niyi Adeolokun
    13 Robbie Henshaw
    12 Bundee Aki
    11 Matt Healy
    10 AJ MacGinty
    9 Kieran Marmion

1 Ronan Loughney
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Finlay Bealham
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Aly Muldowney
    6 Eoin McKeon
    7 Jake Heenan
    8 John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
    17 JP Cooney
    18 Rodney Ah You
    19 Andrew Browne
    20 Sean O’Brien
    21 John Cooney
    22 Shane O’Leary
    23 Peter Robb

Injured/Unavailable: Denis Buckley, Nathan White, Conan O’Donnell, Ben Marshall, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Eoghan Masterson, Dave McSharry, Api Pewhairangi, Darragh Leader.

LEINSTER (Leinster caps in bracket):

15. Rob Kearney (175)
    14. Dave Kearney (102)
    13. Garry Ringrose (21)
    12. Ben Te'o (39)
    11. Luke Fitzgerald (153)
    10. Johnny Sexton (125)
    9. Eoin Reddan (139)
    1. Jack McGrath (94)
    2. Richard Strauss (130)
    3. Mike Ross (134)
    4. Ross Molony (22)
    5. Mick Kearney (8)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (112)
    7. Jordi Murphy (79)
    8. Jamie Heaslip (216) CAPTAIN

16. Sean Cronin (113)
    17. Peter Dooley (20)
    18. Tadhg Furlong (50)
    19. Hayden Triggs (14)
    20. Jack Conan (30)
    21. Luke McGrath (49)
    22. Ian Madigan (146)
    23. Zane Kirchner (64)

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 136th competition game, 4th Final)
    Assistant Referees: Ian Davies, Ben Whitehouse (WRU)
    Officials: 4 Lloyd Linton; 5 Bob Nevins; 6 Tom Mc Nicol (all SRU)
    Timekeeper; Paul Cyphus (SRU)
    Citing Commissioner: Maurizio Vancini (FIR)
    TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

No changes for Connacht

Connacht team to face Leinster Rugby, Saturday 28th May, BT Murrayfield, 5:30pm

15 Tiernan O’Halloran
    14 Niyi Adeolokun
    13 Robbie Henshaw
    12 Bundee Aki
    11 Matt Healy
    10 AJ MacGinty
    9 Kieran Marmion

1 Ronan Loughney
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Finlay Bealham
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Aly Muldowney
    6 Eoin McKeon
    7 Jake Heenan
    8 John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
    17 JP Cooney
    18 Rodney Ah You
    19 Andrew Browne
    20 Sean O’Brien
    21 John Cooney
    22 Shane O’Leary
    23 Peter Robb

Injured/Unavailable: Denis Buckley, Nathan White, Conan O’Donnell, Ben Marshall, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Eoghan Masterson, Dave McSharry, Api Pewhairangi, Darragh Leader.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Teams announced its real now people!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Hopefully with Toner out it will put pressure on their lineout.

Looking forward to seeing how Kearney and Moloney get on without a senior lock there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Bollocks anyway,
    Captain Isa Nacewa has been ruled out with an arm injury suffered in the game against Ulster. While that injury came back clear from the initial x-ray, a subsequent scan on Monday showed damage had been done to an older injury and in particular to one of the screws that he has in the plate in his arm which affected his ability to grip.

No info on Toner but it can only be injury.

Shyyyyyte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭LostArt

Looking forward to seeing how Kearney and Moloney get on without a senior lock there.

I'm confident they'll step up, I'm more worried about Triggs coming off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Bollocks anyway,

Shyyyyyte.

And true to form we were hearing all week about how everyone was fine and we were pretty much at full strength bar the already known long term guys. You really can't take anything Leinster say about player fitness seriously at all can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

... And with the teams announced a slight wobble in confidence for the boys in blue... ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

... And with the teams announced a slight wobble in confidence for the boys in blue... ;-)

Nah, this is just mind games. I fully expect to see Big Dev and Isa trotting out on Saturday and Connacht to crumple in a heap at this revelation. Leo learned much from his mentor and father figure.

inpho_00922471.jpg

Abú

7lXAMxD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Amazing and impressive that out of the two squads only 6 players are not eligible to play for Ireland. The split is 3 for Leinster and 3 for Connacht. 13% across the two squads.

Would be interesting to compare to the AP and Top14 finals..

Note: Edited based on clarification from more knowledgeable Connacht fans.. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Winters wrote: »
    Amazing and impressive that out of the two squads only 8 players are not currently eligible to play for Ireland. The split is 2 for Leinster and 6 for Connacht. 8% and 26%, 17% across the two squads.

Would be interesting to compare to the Top14 final..

Only 4 of the Connacht 23 are ineligible and Heenan qualifies next month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Amazing and impressive that out of the two squads only 8 players are not currently eligible to play for Ireland. The split is 2 for Leinster and 6 for Connacht. 8% and 26%, 17% across the two squads.

Would be interesting to compare to the Top14 final..

Who are the 6 NIQ for Connacht? Can only count four in Aki, McGinty, McCartney and Heenan.

Thanks for the clarification,

I was going with Aki, MacGinty, McCartney, Muldowney, Heenan and Shane O’Leary (Canada) as NIQ.

Okay so going with 3 NIQ for Connacht (Aki, McGinty and McCartney) that makes it only 5 players are not currently eligible to play for Ireland. The split is 2 for Leinster and 3 for Connacht. 8% and 13%, 11% across the two squads.

Even more impressive..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Thanks for the clarification,

I was going with Aki, MacGinty, McCartney, Muldowney, Heenan and Shane O’Leary (Canada) as NIQ.

Muldowney is uncapped and qualifies through an Irish parent. O'Leary is Irish but qualified for Canada through his mother and played for them underage, he's still qualified to be capped for Ireland as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Isn't it 3 NIQ for Leinster? Kirchner, Triggs and Teo.

ill get me coat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I agree, it would be interesting to compare the numbers to the English and French finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Really looking forward to this. Was cold on Leinster's chances before the Ulster game, but the performance was really good and Sexton was flying. If we keep that going tomorrow then I am confident of a win.

Having said that, if Connacht just go for it and throw everything into attack while continuing their good defence of recent games it is going to be very interesting.

I think a few things will certainly happen
    1. Aki will target Sexton
    2. Leinster will target Connacht up front (Breakdown, Scrum, Lineout - Toner is a loss here, but Molony and Kearney will bring extra aggression)
    3. Leinster will target the Connacht back three with lots of up and unders. How Healy, Niyi and TOH handle that will play a big part in the overall result.

Setup to be a very entertaining game, as even though this is their first final I think Connacht will out to enjoy this and throw everything into it. I don't think we will see anything conservative from them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,276 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sexton has been targeted by much bigger centres than Aki and not found wanting.... im sure he'd be delighted if bundee runs down his channel all evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Noopti wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this. Was cold on Leinster's chances before the Ulster game, but the performance was really good and Sexton was flying. If we keep that going tomorrow then I am confident of a win.

Having said that, if Connacht just go for it and throw everything into attack while continuing their good defence of recent games it is going to be very interesting.

I think a few things will certainly happen
    1. Aki will target Sexton
    2. Leinster will target Connacht up front (Breakdown, Scrum, Lineout - Toner is a loss here, but Molony and Kearney will bring extra aggression)
    3. Leinster will target the Connacht back three with lots of up and unders. How Healy, Niyi and TOH handle that will play a big part in the overall result.

Setup to be a very entertaining game, as even though this is their first final I think Connacht will out to enjoy this and throw everything into it. I don't think we will see anything conservative from them.

Can't see Aki targeting Sexton. Why would he. Indeed I simply don't understand this concept of targeting players. McGinty will not let Sexton pass (his tackle stats are amazing). Aki will be far too busy creating mayhem with his runs to be bothered where Sexton is behind him. And if Leinster play an up and under game they are really asking for trouble. TOH is the best fielder of the up and under in the country and sets up the counter-attack so fast, well the game would be over by half time. Leinster do and again will target the scrum. Where they will lose in the breakdown is that their recycle is so slow while on the Connacht side Marmion is gone like a flash. So I think you need a different game strategy than proposed or this will be a very one-sided contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Bollocks anyway,

Shyyyyyte.

Close family bereavement apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Bazzo wrote: »
    Muldowney is uncapped and qualifies through an Irish parent. O'Leary is Irish but qualified for Canada through his mother and played for them underage, he's still qualified to be capped for Ireland as far as I know.
    SOL played 20s with Canada. Still qualified for Ireland. 20s doesn't rule him out and he hasn't played for any other side

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Where they will lose in the breakdown is that their recycle is so slow while on the Connacht side Marmion is gone like a flash.

Leinster have certainly had their problems this season but in general (and specifically against Ulster just last week) their entire game plan is built around quick and efficient breakdown work. The above is just patently false.

Advertisement