Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12 Final Build up thread: uppity westerners v their ladyboy brothers

Options
  • 22-05-2016 12:50pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭

have at it .......

dont care about anything cos 60130129.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Really wish Buckley wasn't injured.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Stan27 wrote: »
    Really wish Buckley wasn't injured.

How tight are you looking on props now that ah you could be in trouble. Is white due back?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

sydthebeat wrote: »
    How tight are you looking on props now that ah you could be in trouble. Is white due back?

Not sure when white is back to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

sydthebeat wrote: »

Resumed non contact during last week. No timetable on his return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Location is terrible for conn, Friday advantage, no chance now to travel very difficult

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Shame it can't be played in the Aviva. Would be a hell of a lot easier (and cheaper) for all involved.

Synode wrote: »
    Shame it can't be played in the Aviva. Would be a hell of a lot easier (and cheaper) for all involved.

It's just impossible

2 conferences and a marathon on for months,

Very poor location either way, the blue boys hoovered up all possible options Friday night,

Poor planning by the pro 12!!! A marathon always takes up hotel rooms

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Edinburgh location is a poor choice because of the other events happening, but having a set location for the final makes sense in my mind. It's a long term strategy and I agree with it - they're trying to make the final an event that people go to regardless of the participants. It hasn't worked out perfectly, but had Glasgow been in it (which was not an unreasonable prospect given they are the reigning champions) it would have been a much better event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

30,000 tickets sold. It was a great decision by the Pro12.

Could be a lot of empty seats but there you go.

I'm fine with a venue being picked in advance just not a marathon

• Advertisement

Its strange. I'm a Leinster fan but I wouldn't be terribly disappointed to see Connacht win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

No such conflict down 'round Munster way... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭b.gud

Its strange. I'm a Leinster fan but I wouldn't be terribly disappointed to see Connacht win it.
    peckerhead wrote: »
    No such conflict down 'round Munster way... :D

Relevant
    https://twitter.com/Kinlay_Galway/status/734338906397802496

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Great and all as it was to see Connacht make the final I think their post match reaction of mad celebration smacks of Ulster in 2012. While all the while Leinster wait in the long grass...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Great and all as it was to see Connacht make the final I think their post match reaction of mad celebration smacks of Ulster in 2012. While all the while Leinster wait in the long grass...

The crowd celebrated like mad. There was nothing different in the teams celebration than previous wins this season against Glasgow Leinster or Munster, few hugs and high fives and off they went.

Also not to get too technical about it but a team that are favourites can't be waiting in the long grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Look at the post match video interviews. The players and managers were totally grounded. Good win but time to focus on leinster. It was all about getting back in Monday and getting the game plan in place.
    The crowd went nuts and let's be honest who can blame us. Remember where we were a couple of years ago.
    The final may not go our way but it won't be because the players got overly carried away after last night's result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Can you elaborate on the Ulster of 2012? I know they reached the Heineken Cup Final but I can't remember any OTT celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

ClanofLams wrote: »
    The crowd celebrated like mad. There was nothing different in the teams celebration than previous wins this season against Glasgow Leinster or Munster, few hugs and high fives and off they went.

Also not to get too technical about it but a team that are favourites can't be waiting in the long grass.

Why not? Waiting in the long grass means going quietly and unobtrusively about your business. This is actually what favourites normally do. The experience of contesting several major finals telling them that winning a semi final means nothing.
    Can you elaborate on the Ulster of 2012? I know they reached the Heineken Cup Final but I can't remember any OTT celebrations.

Well they celebrated way more than Leinster did. Leinster did a quick thank you to their travelling support and that was it. Ulster did a lap of honour, photos with the crowd the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

"Quint2010 wrote: »

Well they celebrated way more than Leinster did. Leinster did a quick thank you to their travelling support and that was it. Ulster did a lap of honour, photos with the crowd the whole lot.

How dare they...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The crowd going crazy is a motivator for me. There is a difference between celebrating winning a semi, and celebrating getting to a final - in my opinion. Those players will be tired physically, but mentally they will be completely refreshed.

I won't be too gutted if connacht beat my team next week. They've played glorious rugby thus far. Can't possibly be bad for Joe when we have 4 teams choc full of belief winning. What an occasion for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It's Murrayfield. There will be a lot of empty seats anyway!

Treadhead wrote: »
    How dare they...

The point is that over-exuberant celebrations after one game are often followed by a flat performance in the next.

Cf: Ireland v France, RWC 2015.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The point is that over-exuberant celebrations after one game are often followed by a flat performance in the next.

Muldoon was apparently highly critical of his own performance after the game. I'm sure the review tomorrow will also be tough listening for a few players. They know there is a lot to improve on. The way this team has consistently backed up good performances all season with further wins tells a lot about how grounded they are. The celebrations just show how good the team spirit is. I don't think they were over-exuberant on the part of the players, they've been doing stuff like that all season when winning big games. The pitch invasion and fans celebration made it seem a lot more emotional than it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Would they not cut it?

What I don't get is intelligent pundits wondering why the game can't be just moved- at 1 week's notice...

I think it was the injuries what done it. Don't recall any of them being caused by celebrations...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Muldoon was apparently highly critical of his own performance after the game. I'm sure the review tomorrow will also be tough listening for a few players. They know there is a lot to improve on. The way this team has consistently backed up good performances all season with further wins tells a lot about how grounded they are. The celebrations just show how good the team spirit is. I don't think they were over-exuberant on the part of the players, they've been doing stuff like that all season when winning big games. The pitch invasion and fans celebration made it seem a lot more emotional than it was.

Yeah I'm not reading anything into anything.

These things are always judged with hindsight anyway:

Scenario A: team goes bananas after semi final win, goes on to win final: "you could see how much this tournament meant to them, nothing was going to stop them".

Scenario B: team goes bananas after semi final win, goes on to lose final: "they were drained after the semi, that was their final and they were never going to reach that intensity again".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

That's true but it wasn't the players that were jumping around over celebrating. It was the fans. The players were looking to get off the pitch and back to the dressing room. They were shaking hands and posing for photos but certainly not joining in the singing and cheering. Any more than for any big win.

Except for Finlay jumping up o the bench and falling on his backside of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭jcon1913

The celebrations were such that youd think theyd won the Pro 12. Itll be hard to get back down from that high to prepare for Edinburgh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Who picks the location for these? serious?

Advertisement