Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12 Final Build up thread: uppity westerners v their ladyboy brothers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ClanofLams wrote: »
    The crowd celebrated like mad. There was nothing different in the teams celebration than previous wins this season against Glasgow Leinster or Munster, few hugs and high fives and off they went.

Also not to get too technical about it but a team that are favourites can't be waiting in the long grass.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/15183/10290633/bundee-aki-leads-connacht-celebrations-after-beating-glasgow

I have to agree with the OP a bit here... They haven't won anything, they should be keeping the champers on ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

They sing after every win ak- nothing new here except there are camera's in this time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

.ak wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/15183/10290633/bundee-aki-leads-connacht-celebrations-after-beating-glasgow

I have to agree with the OP a bit here... They haven't won anything, they should be keeping the champers on ice.

Check videos on Connacht Rugby tv on YouTube to see them doing this after other games this season. Leinster might well win on Saturday but it's nonsensical to suggest that any celebrations yesterday will have an impact. Muldoon specifically said nothing won yet in an interview. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Steve wrote: »
    Who picks the location for these? serious?
    Whats the issue? Its the start of pre selected venues? Ideally we'll have more time between semis and finals in future and we can try turn finals into 'events' and people will buy tickets regardless.

They, like most rugby teams, sing after a win. Nothing out of ordinary there....

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

I have no problem with the location, it's just getting there and finding a place to stay that is the problem.
    Think Rugby, marathon, two confrences On the one weekend is the problem. Hope they take this into account going forward.
    As for the celebrations. It was an important game to win, they did, Job done. They will move on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It's seriously poor planning to pick Edinburgh on a weekend with other big events on. Impossible to find accommodation at this stage. If they're going to pre select the final venue they need to take the fans needs into account a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

ClanofLams wrote: »
    The crowd celebrated like mad. There was nothing different in the teams celebration than previous wins this season against Glasgow Leinster or Munster, few hugs and high fives and off they went.

Also not to get too technical about it but a team that are favourites can't be waiting in the long grass.

Did it two weeks previous against Glasgow too.

Mountains and mohills...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Zzippy wrote: »
    It's seriously poor planning to pick Edinburgh on a weekend with other big events on. Impossible to find accommodation at this stage. If they're going to pre select the final venue they need to take the fans needs into account a bit more.

Where should it have been?

There are a few things to keep in mind here:

1) They can only select from the cities/venues that bid for it. That narrows the field down straight away.

2) Every previous final has been in Ireland.

3) It's a bank holiday weekend in summer. Most cities are going to have a heap of stuff on.

Considering all of the above, Edinburgh was probably the only choice. It hasn't panned out great in retrospect because it's an all-Irish final but that's the risk of pre-selecting the venue.

Would Connacht rather be coming to the RDS as they would have under the old system? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Where should it have been?

There are a few things to keep in mind here:

1) They can only select from the cities/venues that bid for it. That narrows the field down straight away.

2) Every previous final has been in Ireland.

3) It's a bank holiday weekend in summer. Most cities are going to have a heap of stuff on.

Considering all of the above, Edinburgh was probably the only choice. It hasn't panned out great in retrospect because it's an all-Irish final but that's the risk of pre-selecting the venue.

Would Connacht rather be coming to the RDS as they would have under the old system? I doubt it.

Apparently the Welsh teams didn't bid for it.

In future if a final weekend is going to clash with something, then move the season forward by a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

In future if a final weekend is going to clash with something, then move the season forward by a week.

Are you serious? How much of the season? You (potentially) solve one problem by creating several more.

• Advertisement

Apparently the Welsh teams didn't bid for it.

The Liberty Stadium was supposed to be the front runner last year but they pulled out because they couldn't guarantee viability if a Welsh team didn't qualify.

You can't move the date to suit the venue. So many reasons why that's not possible.

All in all, Edinburgh was the best choice. 30000 tickets would seem to vindicate the decision.

The Liberty Stadium was supposed to be the front runner last year but they pulled out because they couldn't guarantee viability if a Welsh team didn't qualify.

You can't move the date to suit the venue. So many reasons why that's not possible.

What reasons? Moving the Pro12 season forward a week does what? You'll move the date to suit a venue if you believe it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What reasons? Moving the Pro12 season forward a week does what? You'll move the date to suit a venue if you believe it's worth it.

With all the other fixtures in the calendar this wouldn't get approved I wouldn't think. The Unions will want access to the internationals as early as possible for the summer tours so adding an extra week to the end of the season wouldn't be a runner for them.

At the end of the day we simply don't know how many of those events in Edinburgh were finalised and known about when the decision was made. A lot of people here seem to be assuming that the Pro12 arranged the final for the same time as the marathon and 2 conferences. Is there a reason for this? What if 1 or 2 of those were arranged after the Pro12 final was?

There's no way the final could have been in Ireland as they've all been in Ireland so far and if the Welsh didn't put in a bid then it was either Scotland or Italy. Did the Italians even put in a bid? And so was there really anywhere other than Edinburgh that this could be held?

molloyjh wrote: »
    With all the other fixtures in the calendar this wouldn't get approved I wouldn't think. The Unions will want access to the internationals as early as possible for the summer tours so adding an extra week to the end of the season wouldn't be a runner for them.

I mean starting the season a week earlier, not later which wouldn't work for the reason you state.

Ah thomond, think about it.

1. Move it forward a week - you clash with the Heineken Cup final.
    2. The dates are common across all three leagues. You can't move the Pro12 in isolation.
    3. The dates are set before the venue is chosen. You'd be looking for a weekend, in May, with no events in any of the possible host cities.

Also, there is always the chance that something comes up in the interim. Imagine the Pro12 had said "oh, the Edinburgh marathon is on that weekend, no bids from Wales, so let's hold it in Dublin" - and then Glasgow qualify, only to find that every room in Dublin is taken up by 160,000 Bruce Springsteen fans...

The 'Double David' is currently available at ~ 12/1 for any of the Romantics about.

(Exeter to beat Saracens and Connacht to beat Leinster)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Connacht are going to lose because the crowd celebrated too much after the semi win? (Nothing the players did was beyond what they normally would)

Jesus lads ye must have been very bored yesterday.

Ah thomond, think about it.

1. Move it forward a week - you clash with the Heineken Cup final.
    2. The dates are common across all three leagues. You can't move the Pro12 in isolation.
    3. The dates are set before the venue is chosen. You'd be looking for a weekend, in May, with no events in any of the possible host cities.

Also, there is always the chance that something comes up in the interim. Imagine the Pro12 had said "oh, the Edinburgh marathon is on that weekend, no bids from Wales, so let's hold it in Dublin" - and then Glasgow qualify, only to find that every room in Dublin is taken up by 160,000 Bruce Springsteen fans...

Start the Pro12 season a week earlier. That is not me saying clash with it with the European final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Start the Pro12 season a week earlier. That is not me saying clash with it with the European final.

But if you move everything forward a week then you will end up clashing with the European final or you end up with no gap between end of season games and playoffs.

I'm sorry, maybe it's my Monday haze but I don't see how this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I'm guessing it's so there can be an extra week off before the final? Give fans more time to get travel sorted.

I'd possibly go if I had more than a week to organise

• Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so was it the butt hurt nordie mod that changed the title..... or are these westerners getting wayyyy beyond their station zzippy??

Podge_irl wrote: »
    But if you move everything forward a week then you will end up clashing with the European final or you end up with no gap between end of season games and playoffs.
    I'm sorry, maybe it's my Monday haze but I don't see how this helps.

Start the Pro12 season a week earlier. Therefore you would play the Pro12 SF - European Final - Pro12 final in a three week period, no gap as you say Podge. Looking at this it's not ideal...

In any case I hope the league is active is trying to ensure there is no major event that clashes with its final. Giving supporters a week to organise flights/accom after the semi-final isn't ideal.

They used to do back to back finals (HEC -> Pro12) but the calendar changed to not do this.

Looks like Gerry Thornley missed the memo too:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/gerry-thornley-pro12-final-fails-to-get-venue-it-deserves-1.2657496

Lots of complaints, no solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'm giving up trying to get over. The travel costs alone are gone ridiculous and from what I'm hearing, finding a hotel is even worse. Shame as I'd love to be there

Impossible for me to get there for any reasonable cash and I'd have a place to stay! And I'm already on the fecking island.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Synode wrote: »
    I'm giving up trying to get over. The travel costs alone are gone ridiculous and from what I'm hearing, finding a hotel is even worse. Shame as I'd love to be there

my brother is running the marathon on sunday. A load of us [10] booked way back before xmas and got flights for €50 quid return and the hotel is about €75/night. Flights now are hard to find and one room on booking.com for the saturday night is about €700. Insanity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Best thread title ever!! That is all.

Advertisement