Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12 Final Build up thread: uppity westerners v their ladyboy brothers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I do think, even if noone said Buckley out isn't a loss, that Loughney is underestimated. He did really well agaist Glasgow twice. Ross/Furlong aren't top top quality either. And on the other side, Bealham is what we have best (even if White were here) to counter Jack.
    Scrum will be Leinster's, but not that much I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AchillesToe

Mrreliable wrote: »
    Despite 'Ireland Duty' Cullen using 56 Players only shows he has no continuity. He did use more or less same teams for last 2 matches and it has paid off. All coaches have to deal with players going on national duty. Only an excuse. Personally I would have major reservations about Cullens ability as a coach ! I think Leinster have been very erratic this season and that is down to coaching. We know the players have the ability. They have proven that.

In fairness very few coaches in the world regularly lose 20 odd players to squads. Certainly no other Irish team does. Some difference to lose 6 front row players to a squad!
    It is an excuse but also a justifiable one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

MadYaker wrote: »
    Jesus, rose tinted glasses or what!?

If we lose I'll be gutted and so will the players.

I really don't feel that way. After an incredible season you would base it on one result. These guys have proved that john Muldoon is the best leader in Irish rugby, matt Healy is the best winger in Ireland, tiernan O'Halloran is the best fullback in Ireland.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Jesus, rose tinted glasses or what!?

If we lose I'll be gutted and so will the players.

I really don't feel that way. After an incredible season you would base it on one result. These guys have proved that john Muldoon is the best leader in Irish rugby, matt Healy is the best winger in Ireland, tiernan O'Halloran is the best fullback in Ireland.
    Bit too much, but they indeed prooved the gap with their Leinster's famous counterparts is thiner than some expect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

They, the Leinster dudes will never believe until they see it

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

I like Nigel Owens. No fecking around. Another advantage Connacht. Pretty much clinches it in my book :-). I had forgot to suggest that the ref could be an advantage

eh two of leinsters three HEC final wins were reffed by Nigel :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Twilight zone starting early tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Adbrowne wrote: »
    eh two of leinsters three HEC final wins were reffed by Nigel :p

He reffed the quarter final, semi final and final in the Heineken Cup for one of our HEC wins. Great servant to the cause :D

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 136th competition game, 4th Final)
    Assistant Referees: Ian Davies, Ben Whitehouse (WRU)
    Officials: 4 Lloyd Linton; 5 Bob Nevins; 6 Tom Mc Nicol (all SRU)
    Timekeeper; Paul Cyphus (SRU)
    Citing Commissioner: Maurizio Vancini (FIR)
    TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)

Delighted with Nigel, will make for a great final.

LEIN wrote: »
    Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 136th competition game, 4th Final)
    Assistant Referees: Ian Davies, Ben Whitehouse (WRU)
    Officials: 4 Lloyd Linton; 5 Bob Nevins; 6 Tom Mc Nicol (all SRU)
    Timekeeper; Paul Cyphus (SRU)
    Citing Commissioner: Maurizio Vancini (FIR)
    TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)

Delighted with Nigel, will make for a great final.
    Couldn't have been anyone else anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bloody weird how Leinster managed to top the table so

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Nigel has reffed Connacht once this season. The Connacht home victory against Leinster...

connachta wrote: »

Had a feeling it would be him when I saw him running the lines in Galway on Saturday.

John Lacey reffed an all Irish final in 2013 in the RDS.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He reffed the quarter final, semi final and final in the Heineken Cup for one of our HEC wins. Great servant to the cause :D

I think he reffed the QF, SF and Final for Munster's second win too.

Munster Leinster time to make Connacht a winning team now Nigel :)

Munster Leinster time to make Connacht a winning team now Nigel :)

Connacht need to make Connacht winning team. ;)

Would help to have Nigel indulgent for rucks and scrums. The rest we could handle it^^

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

ClanofLams wrote: »
    On what basis have you reached that conclusion exactly?

I reached that conclusion through watching him. He's a very good rugby player but I don't think he's an international level prop. Too short and not strong or fit enough for test rugby IMO.

Very good club player but that's his ceiling. Yes he was in the Pro 12 team of the year but that's a made up team that doesn't actually play tests so it doesn't mean ****.*

*i know you (ClanofLams) didn't say anything about the Pro 12 team of the year, I'm responding to typhoony in this post as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭typhoony

Nigel has reffed Connacht once this season. The Connacht home victory against Leinster...

yes we gave him 2 car parking spaces and washed and valetted his car during the match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭typhoony

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I reached that conclusion through watching him. He's a very good rugby player but I don't think he's an international level prop. Too short and not strong or fit enough for test rugby IMO.

Very good club player but that's his ceiling. Yes he was in the Pro 12 team of the year but that's a made up team that doesn't actually play tests so it doesn't mean ****.*

*i know you (ClanofLams) didn't say anything about the Pro 12 team of the year, I'm responding to typhoons in this post as well.

just wondering then who do you think should be the no1 and n02 looseheads for Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

I thought whitehouse might have got it

typhoony wrote: »
    just wondering then who do you think should be the no1 and n02 looseheads for Ireland?

McGrath and Healy.

typhoony wrote: »

McGrath and Healy.
    No. Not anymore

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

*i know you (ClanofLams) didn't say anything about the Pro 12 team of the year, I'm responding to typhoony in this post as well.

I personally cant see this.

He has gotten the best of most if not all Tight heads he has come across. is like an extra back row in terms of turnovers, and has routinely played 80 minutes because he is so vital ( fitness). great hands and i don't mean that in a for a prop sense he's generally a good passer of the ball. makes good running/support lines

I think the issue a lot have against him is his height. I wold have him ahead on my team sheet of any prop in Ireland apart from McGrath and Healy when in form.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

They need to have a fortnight at least between Pro 12 semi finals and final to give supporters more time to arrange travel/accommodation. Hopefully next season with no RWC, things will be less pressurised and there will be better planning of fixtures.

Nope, same again next season it looks like.

Any word on where the final will be next year? Wales seems likely on the basis it has been in Ireland and Scotland already.

Weather looking dry and somewhat calm at present, will also make for a great game.

bilston wrote: »
    Any word on where the final will be next year? Wales seems likely on the basis it has been in Ireland and Scotland already.

Could be Italy.

I personally cant see this.

He has gotten the best of most if not all Tight heads he has come across. is like an extra back row in terms of turnovers, and has routinely played 80 minutes because he is so vital ( fitness). great hands and i don't mean that in a for a prop sense he's generally a good passer of the ball. makes good running/support lines

I think the issue a lot have against him is his height. I wold have him ahead on my team sheet of any prop in Ireland apart from McGrath and Healy when in form.

That's my point. Healy in form is better than Buckley by miles. I wouldn't pick props purely on form. I believe therefore that Healy and McGrath are still the top 2 LHs in Ireland.

Height is a weakness in scrums and lifting in line outs.

There is a massive difference between Pro 12 and test rugby. I don't know if he can make the step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Ah here. Fitness? The man regularly plays eighty minutes. He played almost 90 vs glaws last year. How much more fit can he get??

I'd take issue with strength as well but I don't know what you are assessing that by.

• Advertisement

That's my point. Healy in form is better than Buckley by miles. I wouldn't pick props purely on form. I believe therefore that Healy and McGrath are still the top 2 LHs in Ireland.

Height is a weakness in scrums and lifting in line outs.

There is a massive difference between Pro 12 and test rugby. I don't know if he can make the step up.

but over the course of 2 seasons he has been better than most props pushing for second spot for Ireland. form is a burst he has been playing great rugby for 2 years now.

Connachts line out has faltered when he's not there more then when he is. and his scrumaging is excellent

He has been unlucky with injuries at bad times otherwise he would be in Irish camps (imo)

Advertisement