Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If there's no small building there and just a cabinet or pair of cabinets then that's a messier job for them depending what eir are doing with those deplyments. At a guess they may put in a larger frame and install all all in one service unit from huawei, but that could take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

This is what's there currently:

Comms%20cab_zpsj1uojoen.jpg

The new foundation has gone in front of the green cab at the right and is only the size of a 'normal' fibre cab.

It's really frustrating as this is a large estate and half of it has had fibre for over a year, but half of us are languishing in 3Mb misery! Cheers for the help ED E.

Far right is a copper distribution cab. Its just a loom of cabling. Far left ones are ESB power.

Then the middle two, I would guess they're separate PSTN AXE and DSLAMs. By your description it sounds like they might just add a VDSL cab and patch it in, KISS applies I guess. Not as clean as a single larger cab but no downtime to re deploy all of it.

Keep an eye out for KNN lads in your area, ask them if they know when its going in, best bet to get an ETA. And just watch the plinth.

ED E wrote: »
    Far right is a copper distribution cab. Its just a loom of cabling. Far left ones are ESB power.

Then the middle two, I would guess they're separate PSTN AXE and DSLAMs. By your description it sounds like they might just add a VDSL cab and patch it in, KISS applies I guess. Not as clean as a single larger cab but no downtime to re deploy all of it.

Keep an eye out for KNN lads in your area, ask them if they know when its going in, best bet to get an ETA. And just watch the plinth.

Cheers Ed. I've been watching out for KN alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

The https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/ map, states that the fibre cabinet will be available within 6 months. How can find out, from when did this 6 months begin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭BandMember

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    The https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/ map, states that the fibre cabinet will be available within 6 months. How can find out, from when did this 6 months begin?

I wouldn't even bother with that map if I were you - my own exchange has changed from being available within a year, to within 6 months, to within 6 weeks, to within 6 months, to within 6 weeks before going back to its current status of within one year. And that's just the changes in the last two months alone!! :rolleyes:

This is a far more accurate map, it's updated at end/start of every month and is what most people are basing their live dates on - http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Lord Nikon wrote: »

Ignore that map. The retail site is useless.

Use this one http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/ it's more accurate as it has what open eir are actually working on and would have more accurate timeframes (well, within reason :rolleyes:).

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Ignore that map. The retail site is useless.

Use this one http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/ it's more accurate as it has what open eir are actually working on and would have more accurate timeframes (well, within reason :rolleyes:).

I wouldn't put too much faith in it TBH. My area was first listed on it as due for fibre Summer 2014 - nearly two years later and it looks like work has finally commenced, which is not indicated on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I wouldn't put too much faith in it TBH. My area was first listed on it as due for fibre Summer 2014 - nearly two years later and it looks like work has finally commenced, which is not indicated on the map.

Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress ?

Does anybody know how long it takes to go from this to being available ?

I think the status has been like that for a long time already though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

eamonnq wrote: »
    Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress ?

Does anybody know how long it takes to go from this to being available ?

I think the status has been like that for a long time already though!!

I had that for about 4/5 weeks. How I knew it was near completion was by using eir's landline checker (Despise their website :o) and it would say 'good news bla bla your home is fibre enabled.'' That message lasted for about 1/2 weeks before Eir's sales team had confirmation.

Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I had that for about 4/5 weeks. How I knew it was near completion was by using eir's landline checker (Despise their website :o) and it would say 'good news bla bla your home is fibre enabled.'' That message lasted for about 1/2 weeks before Eir's sales team had confirmation.

Best of luck :)

I think it has been like that for about 6 months now (at least), line checker tells me up to 24mb available, I get about 10mb (with Vodafone at the moment), apparently Virgins full service is not available either (but I could get 30mb off them). Don't want to change to them and then find out that the line is fibre enabled 2 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

eamonnq wrote: »
    I think it has been like that for about 6 months now (at least), line checker tells me up to 24mb available, I get about 10mb (with Vodafone at the moment), apparently Virgins full service is not available either (but I could get 30mb off them). Don't want to change to them and then find out that the line is fibre enabled 2 weeks later.

6 months, holy lord :o

I get ya, It's pointless ringing in as they don't have any info regarding dates of when the fibre comes live. Suppose it's a waiting game!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dairewalsh

Hi, I am with Eir but the speeds at night when we actually want to use the broadband are around 0.4Mbps Down. I live near Ferns, Wexford and on open Eirs map (where I am on one of the blue lines) it says within 6 months and on eir when I check my phone it says Jan-Mar '16 for fibre. I live around 3km from The exchange which is also my local cabinet. Does anyone know 1. When approximately it will actually be available 2. Will it be available to me 3km into the countryside (Eir 1901 say it will and so does the line checker but I don't know if I should believe them) and 3. Even if I cannot actually get fibre, do people who cannot avail of the service find that their speed improves when other people on the same exchange can get it? Is there less congestion for the people that live too far away from the cabinet? Any information is appreciated. Thanks

Edit: Line Information. Is it normal?

Speed: 6144/384kbps
    Line Attentuation (Down/Up): 42.0 dB/24.0 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 9.0 dB/15.0 dB

dairewalsh wrote: »
    Hi, I am with Eir but the speeds at night when we actually want to use the broadband are around 0.4Mbps Down. I live near Ferns, Wexford and on open Eirs map (where I am on one of the blue lines) it says within 6 months and on eir when I check my phone it says Jan-Mar '16 for fibre. I live around 3km from The exchange which is also my local cabinet. Does anyone know 1. When approximately it will actually be available 2. Will it be available to me 3km into the countryside (Eir 1901 say it will and so does the line checker but I don't know if I should believe them) and 3. Even if I cannot actually get fibre, do people who cannot avail of the service find that their speed improves when other people on the same exchange can get it? Is there less congestion for the people that live too far away from the cabinet? Any information is appreciated. Thanks

Edit: Line Information. Is it normal?

Speed: 6144/384kbps
    Line Attentuation (Down/Up): 42.0 dB/24.0 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 9.0 dB/15.0 dB

1. God only knows. :(
    2. You won't get eFibre at 3KM - maximum distance is 1.5KM from exchange and 2KM from a cab. :(
    3. The attenuation figures confirm ~3KM distance and show you to be on ADSL1. As people closer in to the exchange/cab switch to eFibre your evening time experience should improve as there will be less congestion :). There is also a chance that they may upgrade you to ADSL2+, which should give you a slight increase to ~8Mbps :D, but that'll be the best you can do until the NBP rolls around. :rolleyes:

^ Exactly on the mark.

Main benefit you will see is going NGB so no congestion at peak times, lower latency to all destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AidenL

So Im in Ballyshannon, there are 4 cabinets up in the locality since before Christmas, have seen KN and Eircom guys working on them with the doors open, yellow stickers on - any idea how long it could be before they switch on.

is there a rule of thumb, or could it be 6 months as has been said previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dairewalsh

1. God only knows. :(
    2. You won't get eFibre at 3KM - maximum distance is 1.5KM from exchange and 2KM from a cab. :(
    3. The attenuation figures confirm ~3KM distance and show you to be on ADSL1. As people closer in to the exchange/cab switch to eFibre your evening time experience should improve as there will be less congestion :). There is also a chance that they may upgrade you to ADSL2+, which should give you a slight increase to ~8Mbps :D, but that'll be the best you can do until the NBP rolls around. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that. Wouldn't get a straight answer like that from eir anyway! Do you know is there any point in ringing 1901 and asking to be upgraded to ADSL2+ / NGB? We had an eir engineer out and he told us to reduce our line from 6Mb max to 3Mb Max because the ESB overhead line causes too much interference at 6Mb and doesn't at 3Mb? Anyone any thoughts on this? Should I ring eir to cut it back down to 3?

dairewalsh wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Wouldn't get a straight answer like that from eir anyway! Do you know is there any point in ringing 1901 and asking to be upgraded to ADSL2+ / NGB? We had an eir engineer out and he told us to reduce our line from 6Mb max to 3Mb Max because the ESB overhead line causes too much interference at 6Mb and doesn't at 3Mb? Anyone any thoughts on this? Should I ring eir to cut it back down to 3?

Problems are the moment will likely be due to congestion at the RSU (they're old, not fit for modern usage levels). Leave it all as is until the new cab is completed and goes live, then review with eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hi all,

The internet at home has got really bad after the Christmas. Less than 1mb after 6pm (usually 5) goes back to normal around 1am then. Put the house phone number in to this https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/ and it says Fibre will be available between Jan -March 2016. "You can get a maximum of 17Mb download speed"

Stats are as follows:

Speed : 7168 kbps / 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up) : 10 dB / 7.5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin : 22.5 dB / 14 dB

I'm about 600m from the exchange according to maps.

What im asking is, do you think my line could handle more than what im getting/What speeds should I be able to get when I get fibre?

Hi all,

The internet at home has got really bad after the Christmas. Less than 1mb after 6pm (usually 5) goes back to normal around 1am then. Put the house phone number in to this https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/ and it says Fibre will be available between Jan -March 2016. "You can get a maximum of 17Mb download speed"

Stats are as follows:

Speed : 7168 kbps / 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up) : 10 dB / 7.5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin : 22.5 dB / 14 dB

I'm about 600m from the exchange according to maps.

What im asking is, do you think my line could handle more than what im getting/What speeds should I be able to get when I get fibre?

That attenuation figure puts you at a little over 700m from the exchange.

It looks like you are on ADSL1 as the max speed is 8Mbps. If you were on an ADSL2+ you'd be getting ~24Mbps.

If you had the same attenuation figure for VDSL (eir fibre) you'd be getting ~54Mbps, but I believe the attenuation would change when switched over to VDSL.

Stick your number into this page and see what it says. This should give you the current prequal for your line.

• Advertisement

That attenuation figure puts you at a little over 700m from the exchange.

It looks like you are on ADSL1 as the max speed is 8Mbps. If you were on an ADSL2+ you'd be getting ~24Mbps.

If you had the same attenuation figure for VDSL (eir fibre) you'd be getting ~54Mbps, but I believe the attenuation would change when switched over to VDSL.

Stick your number into this page and see what it says. This should give you the current prequal for your line.

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 17 MB

NGB Enabled: No

Fibre Enabled: No

LLU Enabled: No

DSL Enabled: Yes - 17 MB

17Mb on something that is not NGB enabled ... That seems odd. :confused:

I'll let an expert like ED_E pass judgement on that

Good line, bad exchange. Line is capable of 17Mb now but the exchange is probably linked by radio back to core so theres nowhere for that kind of speed to go.

Step 1: NGB: you'll get least 15Mb when they run a fibre connection to the exchange itself.

Step 2: EVDSL, probably available very soon after step one, that should give 40 Down 10 Up or greater.

When this process starts? Check Open eirs maps.

PS: Not an expert by a long shot, put PSD charts in front of me and I'll go crosseyed.

Good line, bad exchange. Line is capable of 17Mb now but the exchange is probably linked by radio back to core so theres nowhere for that kind of speed to go.

Step 1: NGB: you'll get least 15Mb when they run a fibre connection to the exchange itself.

Step 2: EVDSL, probably available very soon after step one, that should give 40 Down 10 Up or greater.

When this process starts? Check Open eirs maps.

PS: Not an expert by a long shot, put PSD charts in front of me and I'll go crosseyed.

"Fibre Broadband Cabinet is planned for this location"

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

My cab went live today, rang eircom and they said I will only get 17Mb down (currently have 7)despite being just under 1km from the exchange. The router and line checker give;
    OODIKxe.png
    OVt3kPk.png
    Would I be better to tell them stick their 18 month contract up their gash and just up my speed to 17?

(She did say fibre would give me 17 not 15, I presume she was chancing her arm.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

My cab went live today, rang eircom and they said I will only get 17Mb down (currently have 7)despite being just under 1km from the exchange. The router and line checker give;
    OODIKxe.png
    OVt3kPk.png
    Would I be better to tell them stick their 18 month contract up their gash and just up my speed to 17?

(She did say fibre would give me 17 not 15, I presume she was chancing her arm.)

You would huge gains from the jump to 3mbit upload, for this alone it's worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

17Mb on something that is not NGB enabled ... That seems odd. :confused:

I'll let an expert like ED_E pass judgement on that

I have

DSL Enabled: Yes - 5 MB

Yet the Exchange is listed as fibre enabled on the "where and when" map and has been for months. If I put in a number within 1Km of the exchange, on the Eircom order page, I'm told that line can get 'eFibre'.

So is this line checker incorrect here and out of date? Does the exchange have to be NGB enabled to have eFibre connections?

You would huge gains from the jump to 3mbit upload, for this alone it's worth it

If it makes the 15_3 profile, if it doesnt you get 12_1. Not uncommon for long loops to fall short of the preq value.
    MBSnr wrote: »
    I have

DSL Enabled: Yes - 5 MB

Yet the Exchange is listed as fibre enabled on the "where and when" map and has been for months. If I put in a number within 1Km of the exchange, on the Eircom order page, I'm told that line can get 'eFibre'.

So is this line checker incorrect here and out of date? Does the exchange have to be NGB enabled to have eFibre connections?

Its possible to have NGA services in an exchange and not yet have the old DSLAM hooked up to the new connection, but I'd expect such a scenario to last for weeks at most.

Whats the exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Its possible to have NGA services in an exchange and not yet have the old DSLAM hooked up to the new connection, but I'd expect such a scenario to last for weeks at most.

Whats the exchange?

Cong CNG1_E01

• Advertisement

Ethernet (WEIL)
    Ethernet (WEIL_local)
    Ethernet (WSEA)
    Reach Nodes (WSEA)   -- YES
    APT Reach Nodes (WSEA)
    Broadband (BMB)

Its a real exchange, not a mini cab, but they've not upgraded the regular DSLAMs. Ask openEir on twitter, their planning guys may give you a guesstimate.

Advertisement