Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

ED E wrote: »
    Ethernet (WEIL)
    Ethernet (WEIL_local)
    Ethernet (WSEA)
    Reach Nodes (WSEA)   -- YES
    APT Reach Nodes (WSEA)
    Broadband (BMB)

Its a real exchange, not a mini cab, but they've not upgraded the regular DSLAMs. Ask openEir on twitter, their planning guys may give you a guesstimate.

So I'd still see slowdowns and congestion at peaks times until they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MBSnr wrote: »
    So I'd still see slowdowns and congestion at peaks times until they do?

Most probably, unless most of the 200 people in town upgrade and take load off the old rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

Just asking this again, Im in Ballyshannon, there are 4 cabinets up in the locality since before Christmas, have seen KN and Eircom guys working on them with the doors open, yellow stickers on - any idea how long it could be before they switch on.

is there a rule of thumb, or could it be 6 months as has been said previously?

Im in Ballyshannon, there are 4 cabinets up in the locality since before Christmas, have seen KN and Eircom guys working on them with the doors open, yellow stickers on - any idea how long it could be before they switch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Is there a way to find out which cabinet I'm on?, one is live now and the other saying fibre is planned.

When I put my number into eir website it says not available yet?

Cabinets are:
    CLA1_E01
    CLA1_001

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 hako

Hi Guys,

I've been following you guys for long time but until now i have found answers to most of my questions so i thought i don't need to register but now i have a question and i believe you guys may have an answer :) As someone mentioned there is a possibility to check your line through Digiweb's line checker site. Until here I'm fine but here is the problem. I have a Vodafone broadband at home and today i saw the cabinet next to where i live SRL1_020 has just turned into live. I don't have a phone subscription with Vodafone but i simply use their broadband.

On my bill i can see a land line number but when i hit this number on Business Line checker it gives me an error. I remember doing this at Eir's site and also giving me an error. Don't i actually have a phone line? And how am i supposed to know which cabinet this line is connected to?

My router is showing as :

Line standard ADSL2+
    Downstream line rate(kbit/s) 15356
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 765
    Downstream SNR (dB) 9.9
    Upstream SNR (dB) 20.7
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 28
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 14.9

Thank you again if any of you can help me with this

AidenL wrote: »

No.
    Is there a way to find out which cabinet I'm on?, one is live now and the other saying fibre is planned.

Open eir staff have access to the records, your ISP could ask on your behalf, but probably wont.
    hako wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've been following you guys for long time but until now i have found answers to most of my questions so i thought i don't need to register but now i have a question and i believe you guys may have an answer :) As someone mentioned there is a possibility to check your line through Digiweb's line checker site. Until here I'm fine but here is the problem. I have a Vodafone broadband at home and today i saw the cabinet next to where i live SRL1_020 has just turned into live. I don't have a phone subscription with Vodafone but i simply use their broadband.

On my bill i can see a land line number but when i hit this number on Business Line checker it gives me an error. I remember doing this at Eir's site and also giving me an error. Don't i actually have a phone line? And how am i supposed to know which cabinet this line is connected to?

ADSL stats dont matter here. The data in the digiweb database may not be up to date yet.

Get your CRN from Vodafone, it'll be 888x-xxxxxxx. That will work in the checkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hako

Hi ED E

Thank you for your answer. i have realised some strange thing with my CRN number as well. Couple of weeks ago i went to sky's website just to see what speed can they offer me. I have submitted the CRN number together with details and another error message with no customer found with this CRN number.

It all seems very strange to me as a whole picture.

I will ask Voda to give me the details which cabinet am i connected to and hopwfukky they may give me an answer :)

Open eir staff have access to the records, your ISP could ask on your behalf, but probably wont.

Thanks for reply.

If your connected to a cabinet that has not been upgraded but the exchange has.

Can you still be upgraded if your close enough to the exchange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Thanks for reply.

If your connected to a cabinet that has not been upgraded but the exchange has.

Can you still be upgraded if your close enough to the exchange?

Yes

• Advertisement

Yes

My Line Attenuation is 30dB though, would that indicate I'm connected to the exchange and not the cabinet?

My Line Attenuation is 30dB though, would that indicate I'm connected to the exchange and not the cabinet?

All adsl attenuation is measured from the exchange

All adsl attenuation is measured from the exchange

Cheers the line checker says I'll get 12mb when upgraded, about 1.5km from exchange.

About 600 meters from cabinet so hopefully I'm connected to that.

Cheers the line checker says I'll get 12mb when upgraded, about 1.5km from exchange.

About 600 meters from cabinet so hopefully I'm connected to that.

You won't get eFibre from the exchange at 1.5km until they turn on vectoring as 1.5km is the limit

You won't get eFibre from the exchange at 1.5km until they turn on vectoring as 1.5km is the limit

Is the 12mb estimate from the cabinet then?

Is the 12mb estimate from the cabinet then?

I reckon they're making a mistake, it's a regular thing, cabinets do 2km, this would be the speed you'd get at 1.5km from a cab but exchanges don't do vectoring (yet) so only do 1.5km. In time vectoring will get enabled on the exchanges pushing them to 2km but only Eir know when this will happen

I reckon they're making a mistake, it's a regular thing, cabinets do 2km, this would be the speed you'd get at 1.5km from a cab but exchanges don't do vectoring (yet) so only do 1.5km. In time vectoring will get enabled on the exchanges pushing them to 2km but only Eir know when this will happen

Thanks

No.

Does the No mean that theres no rule of thumb, or that it could be 6 months? Not sure which question you were responding to with the No?

There's no way to estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hi all,

The internet at home has got really bad after the Christmas. Less than 1mb after 6pm (usually 5) goes back to normal around 1am then. Put the house phone number in to this https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/ and it says Fibre will be available between Jan -March 2016. "You can get a maximum of 17Mb download speed"

Stats are as follows:

Speed : 7168 kbps / 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up) : 10 dB / 7.5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin : 22.5 dB / 14 dB

I'm about 600m from the exchange according to maps.

What im asking is, do you think my line could handle more than what im getting/What speeds should I be able to get when I get fibre?

Have spotted KN and Eir Vans near the exchange recently so they may be doing something :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 dairewalsh

Hi, I am too far away from the exchange in Ferns, Co. Wexford to get fibre when/if it is enabled (Predicted Jan-Mar '16. I had eight different engineers out and each of them have not found a fault bar two even when phone support can find it straight away. I think one actually caused an earthing issue which the last engineer fixed. They have also rewired my line in the exchange. What I was wondering is will the engineers upgrade the old cabinet to NGB for the people that are out of range for fibre? Or will they upgrade to fibre and leave the rest of us with snail's pace speeds paying the same price. Also do people know, if they are upgrading to NBG do they do that before or after upgrading to fibre. Tech Support told me Ferns is one of the oldest exchanges in the country and is probably one of hundreds that have to be upgraded.

Its a real fullsize exchange, not the worst off.

They'll make it NGN around the same time as NGA goes live. Congestion will disappear and pings will go down.

If you're far enough out of town your speed may not change, but it wont congest at peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 2judge

Vodafone has a new bundle Broadband, TV, Phone, but the catch is you require at least 40 MBPS and this is not available in all areas because Eircom is slow in the roll out of their service. It appears you have live very close to one of these cabinets otherwise your signal is poor.
    I checked my speed online and Eir states that i am Eir Fibre enabled but since my speed is only 12MB how on earth can they supply me with 100MB as they advertise?
    Also if i signed up with Eir they cannot supply me with "other" room service because of the poor signal.
    This roll out of the Eir service is a bit of a farce. Some people get great Broadband speeds but their neighbours across the road get a useless signal.
    I would advise any prospective customers to check very carefully what their broadband speed is before purchase and do not take as granted everything the sakles person tells you.

2judge wrote: »
    Vodafone has a new bundle Broadband, TV, Phone, but the catch is you require at least 40 MBPS and this is not available in all areas because Eircom is slow in the roll out of their service. It appears you have live very close to one of these cabinets otherwise your signal is poor.
    I checked my speed online and Eir states that i am Eir Fibre enabled but since my speed is only 12MB how on earth can they supply me with 100MB as they advertise?
    Also if i signed up with Eir they cannot supply me with "other" room service because of the poor signal.
    This roll out of the Eir service is a bit of a farce. Some people get great Broadband speeds but their neighbours across the road get a useless signal.
    I would advise any prospective customers to check very carefully what their broadband speed is before purchase and do not take as granted everything the sakles person tells you.

So many untruths in this post.
    The eFibre rollout has been going at a blistering pace.
    eFibre broadband is advertised as up to 100mbit, speed falls off over distance, beside a fibre enabled cab you will get 100mbit, 2000 metres from it you will struggle to sync at the lowest profile which is 7mbit.
    Wireless signal inside your house is your own concern as it's affected by obstacles and interference from devices inside your house and from your neighbours. Your provider provides you with a wired connection, wifi is just for convenience, if it doesn't work look into fixing it yourself by changing channel or adding another device to cover areas with no cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

Is that your current speed? You need to order the upgrade, your speed doesn't increase if you don't. If you go to
    https://www.eir.ie/broadband/
    click "get it", put in your phone number, and you should be able to click on
    "Discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I checked my speed online and Eir states that i am Eir Fibre enabled but since my speed is only 12MB how on earth can they supply me with 100MB as they advertise.

efibre is distance dependant at said above, see page 131 of this eir document for the speed vs distance profiles. Stable profile is for eir TV customers, rate adaptive profile is for their non-TV customers

http://www.openeir.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2921

Speed isn't good enough for other room service, Vodafone require a 40Mb profile before they will supply their TV service.

Its vodafone being logical. Eir will sell TV on 18Mb profiles which cuts it way close. Team red ensure you have decent broadband while the TV is online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dairewalsh

Its a real fullsize exchange, not the worst off.

They'll make it NGN around the same time as NGA goes live. Congestion will disappear and pings will go down.

If you're far enough out of town your speed may not change, but it wont congest at peak hours.

Hi ED E., I do not understand your reply. I have included my line stats for you to have a look at. What does NGN and NGA stand for and what speeds do people get from them? I am about 3-4 km from the exchange. Currently getting speeds of around 0.4 at night but 2.X during the day. Speed 6144/384 kbps Attenuation 42/24 (Down/Up) DSL Noise margin goes 9-12 dB/15dB. Sometimes near nine, sometimes up to 12.5.

dairewalsh wrote: »
    Hi ED E., I do not understand your reply. I have included my line stats for you to have a look at. What does NGN and NGA stand for and what speeds do people get from them? I am about 3-4 km from the exchange. Currently getting speeds of around 0.4 at night but 2.X during the day. Speed 6144/384 kbps Attenuation 42/24 (Down/Up) DSL Noise margin goes 9-12 dB/15dB. Sometimes near nine, sometimes up to 12.5.

Line says you're probably closer to 3km than 4km.

Exchange will be upgraded to efiber, but you'll go from "Old ADSL" to "New ADSL", basically you can keep the kit you have and get at least 6Mb, likely 8Mb, and it will be consistently the same speed at 5PM or 5AM.

Just wait, one day when they do the work youll suddenly notice things are a lot smoother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

dairewalsh wrote: »
    What does NGN and NGA stand for and what speeds do people get from them? I am about 3-4 km from the exchange. Currently getting speeds of around 0.4 at night but 2.X during the day. Speed 6144/384 kbps Attenuation 42/24 (Down/Up) DSL Noise margin goes 9-12 dB/15dB. Sometimes near nine, sometimes up to 12.5.

NGN next generation network, core fibre backhaul from the exchange, removes congestion at the exchange i.e. stable ADSL speed at all times.
    NGA next generation access , efibre services enabled at the exchange/cabinet

I see from the open-eir maps that Ferns is already NGN enabled (core fibre backhaul) and is in the completion stages for NGA efibre availability.

If Ferns is already NGN upgraded why the congestion in the evenings?

I see from the Ireland Offline map Ferns is an ADSL1 exchange, only eir can tell you when of if they'll upgrade it to ADSL2+.

Advertisement