Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,526 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ED E wrote: »
    Exchange will be upgraded to efiber, but you'll go from "Old ADSL" to "New ADSL", basically you can keep the kit you have and get at least 6Mb, likely 8Mb, and it will be consistently the same speed at 5PM or 5AM.

Do they automatically upgrade an exchange from ADSL1 to ADSL2 when efibre has been enabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The Cush wrote: »
    Do they automatically upgrade an exchange from ADSL1 to ADSL2 when efibre has been enabled?

Doesnt matter for him, the difference is .4Mb depending on what DSLAM is in place (Some ADSL1 is 7.6Mb, some is 8Mb).

Important bit is them moving the ATM radio link onto ATM over core fiber. Should happen roughly the same time as its an easy peasy job, but even if theyre slow as VDSL is taken up all the congestion will disappear anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dairewalsh

Eir found another major fault on my line the other day. I have done the internal troubleshooting with them on the phone about 20 times and 10 engineers have come out. The last one (today) fixed a corrosion issue and my internet speed was fine. Now it is going from 1.X Mbps to 0.01. It keeps going up and down. Is it possible that eir is missing something? When I run the basic router diagnostics, I get these results.

DSL - pass
    ATM - fail
    PPP - pass
    Pinging (the eircom website but i cannot add a url because I am a new user) - pass

What does the ATM result mean here?

They say my line is perfect and this is a very unusual fault. They said that lines do not get much better. Here are my line stats.
    DSL Mode : ITU G.992.1(G.DMT)
    Speed: 6144 kbps/384 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 41.5 dB/ 24.0 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 9.5 dB/ 15.0 dB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

dairewalsh wrote: »
    They say my line is perfect and this is a very unusual fault. They said that lines do not get much better.

That sounds like a bit of a contradiction.

Eir found another major fault on my line the other day. I have done the internal troubleshooting with them on the phone about 20 times and 10 engineers have come out. The last one (today) fixed a corrosion issue and my internet speed was fine. Now it is going from 1.X Mbps to 0.01. It keeps going up and down. Is it possible that eir is missing something? When I run the basic router diagnostics, I get these results.

DSL - pass
    ATM - fail
    PPP - pass
    Pinging (the eircom website but i cannot add a url because I am a new user) - pass

They say my line is perfect and this is a very unusual fault. They said that lines do not get much better. Here are my line stats.

Ignore the ATM result, it cannot pass anymore. If PPP works ATM is inherently working.

Those stats are good. What exchange is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

DSL - pass
    ATM - fail
    PPP - pass

Connect by Ethernet and do a speedtest at 8am with only one device connected and wireless disabled

I did one on my phone this morning and got 5.2. It's the Ferns Exchange. I got 0.02 last night. I mean how does that work

Ahh, oops, you're the poster from the previous page.

As before:
    Just wait, one day when they do the work youll suddenly notice things are a lot smoother.

Your line isnt broken. The exchange is. Wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

Hi All. The Ardrahan cab is due to go on line in about 5 weeks. I live 3.4km from the cab. O currently use Sky for my broadband as i have a Sky box and get unlimited download. My speeds at the moment are are avereging aroumd 3mps. I checked my landline number on eir and tbey say at the moment they can offer me 9. Sky reckon they are maxed out with what I have. Been the far away from the cabinet, what can I expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

PopIT wrote: »
    Hi All. The Ardrahan cab is due to go on line in about 5 weeks. I live 3.4km from the cab. O currently use Sky for my broadband as i have a Sky box and get unlimited download. My speeds at the moment are are avereging aroumd 3mps. I checked my landline number on eir and tbey say at the moment they can offer me 9. Sky reckon they are maxed out with what I have. Been the far away from the cabinet, what can I expect?
    Sky is pretty good at maxxing the connection...FTTC only goes 1.5km to 2,000km distance from the cab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Sky is pretty good at maxxing the connection...FTTC only goes 1.5km to 2,000km distance from the cab

Ok. Thanks. No big improvment so. Was hoping for a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 cool666

Hi guys my cabinet is about to be upgraded Ardagh Limerick in about 4 or 5 weeks with Vodafone average speed is between 3 and 5 mbps download speed 0.30 What should i expect or should I go with someone else. Im pretty sure it be FTTC.

cool666 wrote: »
    Hi guys my cabinet is about to be upgraded Ardagh Limerick in about 4 or 5 weeks with Vodafone average speed is between 3 and 5 mbps download speed 0.30 What should i expect or should I go with someone else. Im pretty sure it be FTTC.

What distance are you from the cabinet?

About 1.4KM away there or there abuts.

cool666 wrote: »
    About 1.4KM away there or there abuts.

You could possibly get up to 25-30mbit

Better than noting :P thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hako

How about 2km from the cabinet? How much speed to expect?

I also want to know if there is an difference between cabinets. Lets say where i live there is SRL1_020 and right next to it there is one called EPT1_003??? They are next to each other but for some some reason they are numbered differently....

hako wrote: »
    How about 2km from the cabinet? How much speed to expect?

I also want to know if there is an difference between cabinets. Lets say where i live there is SRL1_020 and right next to it there is one called EPT1_003??? They are next to each other but for some some reason they are numbered differently....

Nothing. Its not viable at that range. If you were lucky you'd get 7_1 but don't take it as it leaves you way open to rampant instability.

Sounds like an exchange boundary, like having one street in Dublin 6 and the next street in Dublin 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hako

ED E wrote: »
    Nothing. Its not viable at that range. If you were lucky you'd get 7_1 but don't take it as it leaves you way open to rampant instability.

Sounds like an exchange boundary, like having one street in Dublin 6 and the next street in Dublin 8.

They are both on the same street right next to each other. Funny thing i already have 12 up and 0.65 down speeds. If it goes below this like 7ish i would hang myself ;)

hako wrote: »
    They are both on the same street right next to each other. Funny thing i already have 12 up and 0.65 down speeds. If it goes below this like 7ish i would hang myself ;)

Thats why VDSL a short range tech, ADSL2+ beats it past 1600m or so.

One goes west to Somerhill and one goes east to Eastpoint Business Park as above. Boundaries have to be somewhere. They're probably so close due to capacity issues back in the 80's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 grabone

Hi guys,

I'm not hugely in the know about broadband and exchanges etc so I'm looking for some info.

There are two locations on the fibre roll out map in my locality that are very close together.

52°24'19.1"N 9°37'02.8"W

One has completion work in progress LNW1_E01 the other LNW1_002 still has a cabinet only planned for that location (the cabinet is actually in place as part of an estate build).

My question is how do I know what I'm connected to??

grabone wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm not hugely in the know about broadband and exchanges etc so I'm looking for some info.

There are two locations on the fibre roll out map in my locality that are very close together.

52°24'19.1"N 9°37'02.8"W

One has completion work in progress LNW1_E01 the other LNW1_002 still has a cabinet only planned for that location (the cabinet is actually in place as part of an estate build).

My question is how do I know what I'm connected to??

You don't. And your provider cant tell you.

Only info you get is whether your line passes for VDSL(eFiber) or not.

Is the Zyxel or Neteopia Router better for eir broadband? I have both but I am not sure which is better. The Zyxel one was sent as a trouble shooting measure of your wondering why I have both. Also does anyone know how I can prioritise my laptop using either of the routers? Thanks in advance

Is the Zyxel or Neteopia Router better for eir broadband? I have both but I am not sure which is better. The Zyxel one was sent as a trouble shooting measure of your wondering why I have both. Also does anyone know how I can prioritise my laptop using either of the routers? Thanks in advance

Zyxel.

Only reason to use the Netopia(Motorola) units is when you have a really long line (5km upwards) where they're more aggressive. Otherwise the Zyxels, even the old ones, are much more modern.

QoS on all of them is pretty basic, unlikely to make much difference.

ok, I'll use Zyxel so. How do I prioritise my laptop using QoS or does it not really make a difference. Also what do the default QoS rules and class setup even do on the Zyxel one?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AidenL

Hi all,

I have one fibre cabinet on the road to my house, I'm 1.5km from it along the road, so I was hopeful of getting a speed bump.

When i enter my phone number into the line checker, I get " eir Fibre is available in your area but your address is not yet enabled ".

Seeing as theres only one cabinet, and no more scheduled, is that game over for me for now, until the NBP rolls out or until ear extend along the blue lines? My house is indicated on the NBP map as being one which will be served by the commercial operators in the up to 2016 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AidenL

Hi all,

I have one fibre cabinet on the road to my house, I'm 1.5km from it along the road, so I was hopeful of getting a speed bump.

When i enter my phone number into the line checker, I get " eir Fibre is available in your area but your address is not yet enabled ".

Seeing as theres only one cabinet, and no more scheduled, is that game over for me for now, until the NBP rolls out or until ear extend along the blue lines? My house is indicated on the NBP map as being one which will be served by the commercial operators in the up to 2016 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Is the Zyxel or Neteopia Router better for eir broadband?

As a side issue....is it possible to use 2 routers on the one land line.....or is there likely to be a problem switching back and forth between the two?.

Sorry if question appears stupid...but thanks for clarifying

Hibrasil wrote: »
    As a side issue....is it possible to use 2 routers on the one land line.....or is there likely to be a problem switching back and forth between the two?.

Sorry if question appears stupid...but thanks for clarifying

Not possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

AidenL wrote: »
    Hi all,

Put your number in here and see what it says.

Also, what is the status of that cab on this map?

Advertisement