Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AidenL

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Put your number in here and see what it says.

Also, what is the status of that cab on this map?

It says Not Fibre Enabled.

And that Cabinet is the one serving me, and it is activated. Well it says its expected to go live on Jan 20th actually. I tried a few of my neighbours numbers along the road between the cabinet and me, and they are able to get fibre.

What is puzzling is that that my house is within the blue zone on the NBP map, the area served by the commercial suppliers as opposed to being in the future works being tendered for now. My house is the last house in the blue zone. maybe they have it wrong.....

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/en-ie/Broadband/Pages/National-Broadband-Plan-Map-.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AidenL wrote: »
    It says Not Fibre Enabled.

And that Cabinet is the one serving me, and it is activated.

If its brand new, wait 1 month for the tests to be run just in case.

If its not brand new then either A. thats an exchange(has an "E" in the code) and you're too far or B. your line bypasses the cab.

ED E wrote: »
    If its brand new, wait 1 month for the tests to be run just in case.

If its not brand new then either A. thats an exchange(has an "E" in the code) and you're too far or B. your line bypasses the cab.

Thanks Ed.

I think its definitely alive , as the neighbours have service. I'd be well outta luck if only my line bypasses it ! :(

What might change in a month? The checker update or perhaps more work in the exchange or the cabinet on other lines?

They run tests every month or so that creates the ratings database. Sounds like you're SOL.

They run tests every month or so that creates the ratings database. Sounds like you're SOL.

As in **** Outta Luck??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Hi Boardsies, my local exchange is currently been upgraded to a fibre connection. Currently the exchange is only connected by radio link to an exchange about 7km away so it may take some time.

Anyway my question is, there is this box located at the entrance to my estate. Is this an Eir cabinet and can I be hopeful it may be upgraded to a fibre enabled cabinet?

FC2769A5-5FB3-4F0E-9EE2-990838287E77.jpg

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

As in **** Outta Luck??

Yup/
    h3000 wrote: »
    Anyway my question is, there is this box located at the entrance to my estate. Is this an Eir cabinet and can I be hopeful it may be upgraded to a fibre enabled cabinet?

Isn't eir, looks like ones the ESB use but no HV stickers on it. No use for you anyways.

Isn't eir, looks like ones the ESB use but no HV stickers on it. No use for you anyways.
    Ah balls, I'm about 300/350m from the exchange and will be really pissed if I can't get a fttc connection. We are lucky to get 0.8Mb in peak times now :(

Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It is Eir, it's one of the mini krone cabs, Eir have plenty of them.

D'oh, sorry guys.

• Advertisement

D'oh, sorry guys.

Thanks folks.

I know this question might be how long is a piece of string but are these normally upgraded to fibre cabinets when the exchange is fibre enabled?

Yup/

Dammit :(

So I'm in the blue zone for fibre, but can't get it, and I'm outside the area for the NBP. What do I do or what can i do in that case?

Dammit :(

So I'm in the blue zone for fibre, but can't get it, and I'm outside the area for the NBP. What do I do or what can i do in that case?

Use Fixed Wireless/Mobile

or Move.

Use Fixed Wireless/Mobile

or Move.

Obviously not that simple to move.

Ok, but as its in the blue zone on the map, I assume it was planned and able to receive fibre?

If I have a new phone line installed, will that sort it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Obviously not that simple to move.

Ok, but as its in the blue zone on the map, I assume it was planned and able to receive fibre?

If I have a new phone line installed, will that sort it?

The blue lines have nothing to do with FTTC but the idea is when FTTH is rolled out from next year for many place, Those along the blue line will get it..Fingers crossed...

pegasus1 wrote: »
    The blue lines have nothing to do with FTTC but the idea is when FTTH is rolled out from next year for many place, Those along the blue line will get it..Fingers crossed...

I mean this blue zone, the one on this map. I know about the blue lines, but I guess they will in actuality still be years away.

This is the up to the end of 2016 programme for the commercial operators to provide fibre within the blue zone.. My house is in the blue part on the attachment.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communicatio...Plan-Map-.aspx

I mean this blue zone, the one on this map. I know about the blue lines, but I guess they will in actuality still be years away.

unable to view your image...look...everyone in those blue areas can't get the highest broadband available, guess your one of them...sit tight and you will get FTTH eventually...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

April last year I posted this comment here:

"Meant to be rolled out by the end of this year. It has now been pushed out till early next year. Very annoying"

Check the map today and it says 'within 1 year' - there such a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

I had an interesting conversation with an Eir engineer today.
    He was pointing out that in my area all one side of the road has FTTC but the other side of the road cant get it at all.
    The reason is that the line goes all the way from the cab down one side of the road to a cross roads. It then crosses the road and comes back up towards the cab. Soeveryone on my side of the road is too far from the cab, even though across the road is exactly the same distance from the cab and can get FTTC.

So I asked him is it the same story on the FTTH map.
    He said yes. The blue line goes down the road, but everyone on the wrong side of the road will not get FTTH even though they are on the blue line.

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    So I asked him is it the same story on the FTTH map.
    He said yes. The blue line goes down the road, but everyone on the wrong side of the road will not get FTTH even though they are on the blue line.

That's the stupidest thing I have read today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

That's the stupidest thing I have read today...

It wont be true everywhere. But is certainly, and very annoyingly the case as it stands in my area with FTTC.

FTTH can be run 10kms before needing a booster..think you will be alright then...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

FTTH can be run 10kms before needing a booster..think you will be alright then...

Double that - 20km

Exchange areas are typically about an 8km radius so the chances of them pushing the range limit are small in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Brian2850

If I live between 2 blue areas that are about 1 Km apart but my house is in an amber area, does that fall into the **** out of luck category or can I expect some sort of improvement in the area?

Brian2850 wrote: »
    If I live between 2 blue areas that are about 1 Km apart but my house is in an amber area, does that fall into the **** out of luck category or can I expect some sort of improvement in the area?
    eh let me put it to you this way..You're slap bang in the middle of a just that bit too far out area..

Keep an eye on the where when for FTTH every month....they might feel sorry for ye...:D

Id say you are out of luck too.

Im in the middle of a blue zone and can't get it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Being in the amber area means you are in scope for the NBP. If it survives the election, the tendering process and is not completely neutered by the next government or the DCENR, then you should expect an improvement by 2020 at the latest (according to the NBP), but others on here feel that is unlikely to be met. :(

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Being in the amber area means you are in scope for the NBP. If it survives the election, the tendering process and is not completely neutered by the next government or the DCENR, then you should expect an improvement by 2020 at the latest (according to the NBP), but others on here feel that is unlikely to be met. :(

Of course it will survive the election, as in the money is coming from europe..also a mandate of everyone getting the min 30meg download enforces that...the dcenr will be carrying it through...

off topic but relevant for stuff surviving elections...Here in Kilkenny a bridge from nowhere to nowhere survived through the last local election...the new council had no power to stop it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Of course it will survive the election, as in the money is coming from europe..also a mandate of everyone getting the min 30meg download enforces that...the dcenr will be carrying it through...

off topic but relevant for stuff surviving elections...Here in Kilkenny a bridge from nowhere to nowhere survived through the last local election...the new council had no power to stop it...

Not all the money is coming from Europe. We have to stump up a fair whack of it AFAIK. Also I think Digital Agenda target isn't mandatory, more of a guideline.

Anyway - do you honestly think that a SF/AAA/PBP majority is going to let this project get off the ground??? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement