Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

ED E wrote: »
    I dont mean to be snotty but you should really stop advising posters if you've no idea what you're on about MiskyBoyy.

ADSL downstream attenuation has nothing to do with FTTC(90% of users) VDSL2. Only the eVDSL minority can draw conclusions from it.

Mightydrumming you're within 200m of the cab but 1300m odd of the exchange. VDSL moves the broadband bit of the exchange into the cab (for 90% of users) shaving 1km off your line. Unvectored you'll get at least 50Mb, vectored("boost mode") you'll be at 70-80 depending on how the cables go, maybe 90Mb.

Would this http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/ help Mightydrumming?

I'm guessing not if his line will be switched from the exchange to a cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I dont mean to be snotty but you should really stop advising posters if you've no idea what you're on about MiskyBoyy.

Apologies Master ED E :o :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Would this http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/ help Mightydrumming?

I'm guessing not if his line will be switched from the exchange to a cab.

Yes, but only after such date as the cab has been commissioned. In his case if theres an order in place then that should be so, itll pipe out the same thing eir sales had in front of them when he called.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

ADSL downstream attenuation has nothing to do with FTTC(90% of users) VDSL2. Only the eVDSL minority can draw conclusions from it.

Mightydrumming you're within 200m of the cab but 1300m odd of the exchange. VDSL moves the broadband bit of the exchange into the cab (for 90% of users) shaving 1km off your line. Unvectored you'll get at least 50Mb, vectored("boost mode") you'll be at 70-80 depending on how the cables go, maybe 90Mb.

Excellent stuff, really appreciate that! I'll see how it goes anyhow on the 9th if all goes to plan with the engineer.

How would one go about vectoring if I did indeed want a boost? I'm guessing there's a little hike in the package price?

Thanks again :)

Vectoring is something they do for the entire cab, it cant be used in a few areas and sometimes isnt on for brand new cabs. Theres no price change, you pay for the line not the speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Vectoring is something they do for the entire cab, it cant be used in a few areas and sometimes isnt on for brand new cabs. Theres no price change, you pay for the line not the speed.

Nice one! I refuse to be greedy as I'm getting in or around 2mpbs at the moment so 40/50 mbps sounds delightful :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭BandMember

According to the Eir map, my local exchange is due to go "live" within 6 weeks. It's been like that for a fortnight now yet Eir cannot give me a definite launch date, nor can they take an order. Talk about frustrating - especially when people are coming up to the end of their contract and need to make a decision on what to do or they could face the possibility of being left with nothing until Eir can sort out their maps and give their staff launch dates. Even a rough estimate would be helpful....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

The maps are updated once a month, and updated plans are released by wholesale to retail operators (including eir retail) monthly too.

BandMember wrote: »
    According to the Eir map, my local exchange is due to go "live" within 6 weeks. It's been like that for a fortnight now yet Eir cannot give me a definite launch date, nor can they take an order. Talk about frustrating - especially when people are coming up to the end of their contract and need to make a decision on what to do or they could face the possibility of being left with nothing until Eir can sort out their maps and give their staff launch dates. Even a rough estimate would be helpful....

Their own staff arent allowed to know. Reps you call are retail, only wholesale know the deployment details and they have to tell everyone simultaneously.

Your contract just goes month to month when it ends, just wait and see.

Their own staff arent allowed to know. Reps you call are retail, only wholesale know the deployment details and they have to tell everyone simultaneously.

Your contract just goes month to month when it ends, just wait and see.

I appreciate that, but, if you were doing something in 6 weeks time, surely you know what date you were doing it on? I mean, if they really going to be launching it in the next few weeks, surely they would be advertising it and letting their staff know so that they could deal with any enquiries? It's real "don't let the right know what the left hand does" stuff altogether.... You get what I'm (very clumsily) trying to say?

• Advertisement

There's a wait time of 1 month when exchanges or cabs go ready for order, so they'll be told a month minimum before installs can start.

Thanks for that. Looks like I could be waiting a while though - every exchange in my entire county has gone from available within 6 weeks to available within a year! :eek::confused::mad:

Thanks for that. Looks like I could be waiting a while though - every exchange in my entire county has gone from available within 6 weeks to available within a year! :eek::confused::mad:

That's taking the pi$$. :mad: You would think that when they say that it's at 6 weeks, they've already been working on it. My neighbouring village is down as within 6 weeks and there are guys there a few times a week working on it.

My own village's exchange has varied from Oct-Dec 2015 to Jan-Mar 2016, back to Oct-Dec 2015 and is now out to within a year. The promised date has always been too far away to get excited, plus I'm a midge's pube shy of 2KM from it, so it doesn't matter to me. All that is on the retail map. However on the wholesale map they say it's Early/Mid 2016 - I would like to believe this, but there are a load of higher population density exchanges near me that have the same timeframe on wholesale and I think would get higher priority. :(

That's taking the pi$$. :mad: You would think that when they say that it's at 6 weeks, they've already been working on it. My neighbouring village is down as within 6 weeks and there are guys there a few times a week working on it.

My own village's exchange has varied from Oct-Dec 2015 to Jan-Mar 2016, back to Oct-Dec 2015 and is now out to within a year. The promised date has always been too far away to get excited, plus I'm a midge's pube shy of 2KM from it, so it doesn't matter to me. All that is on the retail map. However on the wholesale map they say it's Early/Mid 2016 - I would like to believe this, but there are a load of higher population density exchanges near me that have the same timeframe on wholesale and I think would get higher priority. :(

I'm in exactly the same boat as you - keep being given loads of different dates, going back and forward. We've been changed so many times at this stage that we don't know whether we're coming or going. I checked today and we are now back to the "within 6 weeks" timeframe! This is so incredibly frustrating and annoying.... :(:mad:

If anyone from Eir ever reads this thread: sort out your bloody map situation!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

They do read it , Ony when i envisage them reading it i get an image of two lit candles either side of a tablet as they scroll down the page they Mutter over and over "Put the lotion in the basket" Frustrating as hell and the entire country is or was in the same boat as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Different name but same crap service.
    This company needed more than a name change.
    Leave the name alone, just change the muppets running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

On the map all I can see is fibre planned.

Where are you guys getting the prospective dates from?

On the map all I can see is fibre planned.

Where are you guys getting the prospective dates from?

There are two maps:

https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

The second one is supposed to be the more accurate one and updated at the end of each month. However, I'm going to guess that if you can only see that there is fibre planned for your area that you will be waiting a while yet and are in an NBP area?

I'm in exactly the same boat as you - keep being given loads of different dates, going back and forward. We've been changed so many times at this stage that we don't know whether we're coming or going. I checked today and we are now back to the "within 6 weeks" timeframe! This is so incredibly frustrating and annoying.... :(:mad:

If anyone from Eir ever reads this thread: sort out your bloody map situation!!! :rolleyes:

And now we're gone back to "available within 1 year" again!! FFS!!! :mad::mad::mad:

There are two maps:

https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

The second one is supposed to be the more accurate one and updated at the end of each month. However, I'm going to guess that if you can only see that there is fibre planned for your area that you will be waiting a while yet and are in an NBP area?

Cheers. I have been using the second one which shows no prospective dates.

It's frustrating to see my cabinet not active in a sea of active cabinets.

Guess I'm stuck with Virgin for the time being.

• Advertisement

If you tick the "All" option of "Select Exchange Status" on the right of the map, you'll get a tag over each cab/exchange to say when it's planned. This is the more accurate date than the first map.

If you tick the "All" option of "Select Exchange Status" on the right of the map, you'll get a tag over each cab/exchange to say when it's planned. This is the more accurate date than the first map.

Yeah. Just planned for LCN1_024. Adamstown seem to be getting upgraded next.

If you're "stuck" with Virgin, you're getting up to 240MB speeds, no? It's the people who are stuck on WISP's and mobile dongles that I feel sorry for - if you have already have Virgin, then you really have nothing to worry about to be honest....

If you're "stuck" with Virgin, you're getting up to 240MB speeds, no? It's the people who are stuck on WISP's and mobile dongles that I feel sorry for - if you have already have Virgin, then you really have nothing to worry about to be honest....

I'm stuck in the sense that I have little choice. I can't abide them as a company and they're a pain to deal with re bills etc.

I'm stuck in the sense that I have little choice. I can't abide them as a company and they're a pain to deal with re bills etc.

While those points are valid and understandable (although you forgot to include "terrible product"), yourself and your 240MB speeds won't get much sympathy here from people who are on speeds of 1 to less than 10MB and if you think Virgin are hard to deal with, try dealing with some of the WISPS and midband suppliers out there and you'll quickly realise how lucky you are! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

While those points are valid and understandable (although you forgot to include "terrible product"), yourself and your 240MB speeds won't get much sympathy here from people who are on speeds of 1 to less than 10MB and if you think Virgin are hard to deal with, try dealing with some of the WISPS and midband suppliers out there and you'll quickly realise how lucky you are! ;)

It's going to get faster for virgin...
    http://www.vmbiz.ie/blog/what-docsis-means-for-high-speed-broadband-in-ireland/

up to 10Gb speed...:eek:

pegasus1 wrote: »
    It's going to get faster for virgin...
    http://www.vmbiz.ie/blog/what-docsis-means-for-high-speed-broadband-in-ireland/

up to 10Gb speed...:eek:

Pretty sure thats 10Gb per carrier not per subscriber, so you share it with your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Pretty sure thats 10Gb per carrier not per subscriber, so you share it with your neighbours.
    Much in the same way as 1Gb over fibre to the home is shared amongst neighbours

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Much in the same way as 1Gb over fibre to the home is shared amongst neighbours

10Gb, but yes. Not sure what the contention is for Coax here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

On checking for details on fibre roll-out for my number on the Eir website I get the following:
    "Our current estimate for the arrival of eir Fibre in your area is: NGA_DONUT"
    Can anyone explain?

Advertisement