Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Sorry for late reply but was waiting for my switch over to SKY to complete

I am getting 50dB down and 25dB up. So I thought I should get around 4mb

You should get 4Mb on those line stats I seen higher stats than yours get just over 3Mb but each line is different so it's hard to tell really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Roost

Hi . I live in skerries . I see where the cabinets are around me (and on the map). I want to get in e fiber from sky or Vodafone . Up to 100mb. They all tell me my line good for 80mb. I wonder 55 ish I feel at best I might be wrong . Anyway Is there anyway knowing which cabinet they will connect me to? There is one 3-4 blocks away or at end of my cul de sac over the wall and down road a bit is another cabinet about 100 meters away . Should I ask KN group ? Sign up to a contract 12 or 18 months then find out after only get 20mb not more than I'm on current adsl . I understand each house speed will vary as we all have separate line from the cabinet terminations resistance differences etc.
    Any good feedback please .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Roost wrote: »
    Hi . I live in skerries . I see where the cabinets are around me (and on the map). I want to get in e fiber from sky or Vodafone . Up to 100mb. They all tell me my line good for 80mb. I wonder 55 ish I feel at best I might be wrong . Anyway Is there anyway knowing which cabinet they will connect me to? There is one 3-4 blocks away or at end of my cul de sac over the wall and down road a bit is another cabinet about 100 meters away . Should I ask KN group ? Sign up to a contract 12 or 18 months then find out after only get 20mb not more than I'm on current adsl . I understand each house speed will vary as we all have separate line from the cabinet terminations resistance differences etc.
    Any good feedback please .

If you're in the newer estates its a safe bet, there cabs are well distributed and chances are your sis within 800m or less. The older part of town isn't as well covered as some areas are direct fed.

If you've no existing landline you can't know what cab it'll come from, but ask next door, 9 times of 10 you'll feed from the same main pair.

ED E wrote: »
    If you're in the newer estates its a safe bet, there cabs are well distributed and chances are your sis within 800m or less. The older part of town isn't as well covered as some areas are direct fed.

If you've no existing landline you can't know what cab it'll come from, but ask next door, 9 times of 10 you'll feed from the same main pair.

Hi

I was just wondering how people next door going to know which cabinet they or I could be on?

Sky up to 100mb but says my line only good for 80mb. I spoke to friend in next estate . Its newer estate that mine. He only getting 22mbps with sky. Now that is a very big concern !!! ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Hi

I was just wondering how people next door going to know which cabinet they or I could be on?

Sky up to 100mb but says my line only good for 80mb. I spoke to friend in next estate . Its newer estate that mine. He only getting 22mbps with sky. Now that is a very big concern !!! ???

As per Ed - they dont all follow the same paths , age of estate is a sound indicator IE older estates will have ****ty DF lines and newer may have the CABs . ITs not a big concern to anyone internally trust me , but to us the end users it is . Also on a DF line myself but im happy with my speeds for now , Conssidering my view from my house is mainly cows, hills and trees. The odd sheep here and there.

• Advertisement

dbit wrote: »
    As per Ed - they dont all follow the same paths , age of estate is a sound indicator IE older estates will have ****ty DF lines and newer may have the CABs . ITs not a big concern to anyone internally trust me , but to us the end users it is . Also on a DF line myself but im happy with my speeds for now , Conssidering my view from my house is mainly cows, hills and trees. The odd sheep here and there.

Hi I'm none the wiser . CABS's meaning?

I just wondering this figure the providers say " your lines good for 80mbps sir , we just tested it " with packages sold for max up to 100mbps . Is it all a scam and I will be disappointed if I go for this wonderful fiber B/band.

regards

I just wondering this figure the providers say " your lines good for 80mbps sir , we just tested it " with packages sold for max up to 100mbps . Is it all a scam and I will be disappointed if I go for this wonderful fiber B/band.

regards

Cabs - the little green cabinets you will see dotted around housing estates after reading this message ?.
    If they have done a line test and given you a result why are you here ?

Its not a scam its how this tech works - further away = slower . Closer to the connection point = faster.

They do say "Up To" and this then alleviates any responsability they have to tech issues that may be lying in wait for them after the install. You need to measure your current attentuation speeds to gauge what type of speeds may be delivered to your individual line pair.

IF you already have DSL or NGN broadband log into your router and find the down attenuation sync rate its one of the values on your modem.(IF you have DSL already that is ie broadband)

Once you have found your attenuation sync rate use this to translate that into real speeds :-

http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

ITs all rough cut guides and not 100% but its closer than asking around - IF you dont have Broadband then ask a neighbour to help and give you the attentuation off theyre line ?

regards

If you currently have no line, this is a GUESS. Theyre using you address to provide a really rough guess.

If you currently HAVE a line, this is a prequal test. This is a reasonably accurate measurement of the line and you should get at least 70Mb. The street cab will be within 300m of the house. Its a no brainer for you to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

Long Story short. Just after Building want to get BB in. Have to get full install and pull wires from telecpm box to house. Neighbours house 10/12 years old getting 8mbps (Eircom). I have cat 6 run all over the house. Castlebar where I live is on the list for 1000mbps but the link road i'm on is not on Fibre yet. I am only 1.5 miles from the exchange but as i said the link road not serviced yet. What is the best way to kick start this process.
    1. wait for vodafone/esb 1000mbps
    2. Get installed and see what happens.
    3. any other suggestions.

thanks in advance.

The router line attenuation is 47/31 db why 2 ? (lowest and max ?) The cabinets are 50 - 60 meters and another around 500 meters. I expect the exchange is much further away. this speedguide site saying 3400 or 2200 meters depending what figure I use. (47/31 ) is the exchange only for adsl nothing to do with fiber?

• Advertisement

dessierb wrote: »
    Long Story short. Just after Building want to get BB in. Have to get full install and pull wires from telecpm box to house. Neighbours house 10/12 years old getting 8mbps (Eircom). I have cat 6 run all over the house. Castlebar where I live is on the list for 1000mbps but the link road i'm on is not on Fibre yet. I am only 1.5 miles from the exchange but as i said the link road not serviced yet. What is the best way to kick start this process.
    1. wait for vodafone/esb 1000mbps
    2. Get installed and see what happens.
    3. any other suggestions.

thanks in advance.

I'd get DSL services up now, who knows how long SIRO will be actually rolling things out. eir are the ones making progress at the moment.
    The router line attenuation is 47/31 db why 2 ? (lowest and max ?) The cabinets are 50 - 60 meters and another around 500 meters. I expect the exchange is much further away. this speedguide site saying 3400 or 2200 meters depending what figure I use. (47/31 ) is the exchange only for adsl nothing to do with fiber?

Up down/Down Up.

If you arent on eFibre now the reading is to the exchange, not the cab. ADSL attenuation has nothing to do with FTTC attenuation.

Just order it.

If you arent on eFibre now the reading is to the exchange, not the cab. ADSL attenuation has nothing to do with FTTC attenuation.

Just order it.

The attenuation if he is direct fed will matter.

dbit wrote: »
    The attenuation if he is direct fed will matter.

He's not. Has a line, they quoted 80Mb, few clicks from the DSLAM. Definitely not DF.

He's not. Has a line, they quoted 80Mb, few clicks from the DSLAM. Definitely not DF.

I go back to my original question then why is he/she here ? terrible attens as well?

If you currently have no line, this is a GUESS. Theyre using you address to provide a really rough guess.

If you currently HAVE a line, this is a prequal test. This is a reasonably accurate measurement of the line and you should get at least 70Mb. The street cab will be within 300m of the house. Its a no brainer for you to take it.

Hi Ed e. I have booked the sky fiber up to 100 bla bla , line good for 80 they say subject to stable speed . I have the adsl. line rated at 5mb we never get better than 3.5 . So my mate in the newer estate getting 22 made me think.... load a balls.

Hi Ed e. I have booked the sky fiber up to 100 bla bla , line good for 80 they say subject to stable speed . I have the adsl. line rated at 5mb we never get better than 3.5 . So my mate in the newer estate getting 22 made me think.... load a balls.

Jaysus its sounding iffy to me but Ed is the wizard here .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The eir fibre rollout map shows the efibre ending at the pole just before mine (about 50 meters) What's the chances of them lighting me up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Local exchange is getting upgraded to fibre sometime next year. We're about 4km from it, any chance we'd get a small boost from the upgrade?

369442.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Highly doubtful ^

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Check to see if there's a 2nd cabinet on it closer to you, there is a few rural exchanges near me that will have 1/2 extra cabinets so serve housing clusters too far from the exchange

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Check to see if there's a 2nd cabinet on it closer to you, there is a few rural exchanges near me that will have 1/2 extra cabinets so serve housing clusters too far from the exchange

Nah doubt there would be as we're out in the boonies.

funnyname wrote: »
    Local exchange is getting upgraded to fibre sometime next year. We're about 4km from it, any chance we'd get a small boost from the upgrade?
    {IMG}
    MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Highly doubtful ^

Fortunately for him, you're wrong.
    Nah doubt there would be as we're out in the boonies.

Thats a 9-10Mb line operating at 6Mb, probably because its currently a radio linked exchange. Once the NGN works are done eir can stick you on an 8_512 profile. Its not much, but for your line thats a 33% boost in DS speeds.

Also the NGN bit helps with lower latency and no congestion.

Thats great news, will this update be automatic or will I have to request it? I work from home so every little bit helps. The exchange seems to be located in a steel shipping type container in the middle of the village.

Unfortunately no blue lines tho so it'll be a while yet before we do better again.
    Fortunately for him, you're wrong.

Thats a 9-10Mb line operating at 6Mb, probably because its currently a radio linked exchange. Once the NGN works are done eir can stick you on an 8_512 profile. Its not much, but for your line thats a 33% boost in DS speeds.

Also the NGN bit helps with lower latency and no congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,491 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

We're in the same position here, 4km from our local exchange with radio backhaul which is due to be upgraded to efibre next year. While efibre at that distance from the exchange will make no difference the backhaul upgraded to fibre will mean a stable connection with no congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Just got off the phone from eir, they're sending out an engineer for the fibre on the 9th...

'Up to' 70mbps - we are 176M from the nearest cabinet, if the engineer does connect us to the nearest, is there anyway to find a more definite speed or will I have to wait until it's installed?

Thanks!

Just got off the phone from eir, they're sending out an engineer for the fibre on the 9th...

'Up to' 70mbps - we are 176M from the nearest cabinet, if the engineer does connect us to the nearest, is there anyway to find a more definite speed or will I have to wait until it's installed?

Thanks!

If it's 176 metres following the cable, then you should get near enough full whack I'd imagine. What's your line stats right now?

If it's 176 metres following the cable, then you should get near enough full whack I'd imagine. What's your line stats right now?

Nice one, fingers crossed lol! We are getting the guts of 2mbps at the mo

Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 18.5 dB/ 13.0 dB DSL Noise Margin: 19.0 dB/ 16.0 dB

Done the distance calculation on the efibre roll out map and coming up at 176M from the cab to the house!

Nice one, fingers crossed lol! We are getting the guts of 2mbps at the mo

Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 18.5 dB/ 13.0 dB DSL Noise Margin: 19.0 dB/ 16.0 dB

Done the distance calculation on the efibre roll out map and coming up at 176M from the cab to the house!

I think the efibre roll out map only calcultes the distance as the crow flies. 18.5 down attenuation means it should be a lot further than 176m. The phone lines could be going around the whole town before getting to you if you get me.

18db attenuation is rougly 1.3km according to this calculator: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

I think the efibre roll out map only calcultes the distance as the crow flies. 18.5 down attenuation means it should be a lot further than 176m. The phone lines could be going around the whole town before getting to you if you get me.

18db attenuation is rougly 1.3km according to this calculator: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Sh!te :o Thankfully there's 14 days of cooling off so I'll see what happens

Thanks for that Misky, I'll update as soon as we get it installed!

• Advertisement

I dont mean to be snotty but you should really stop advising posters if you've no idea what you're on about MiskyBoyy.

ADSL downstream attenuation has nothing to do with FTTC(90% of users) VDSL2. Only the eVDSL minority can draw conclusions from it.

Mightydrumming you're within 200m of the cab but 1300m odd of the exchange. VDSL moves the broadband bit of the exchange into the cab (for 90% of users) shaving 1km off your line. Unvectored you'll get at least 50Mb, vectored("boost mode") you'll be at 70-80 depending on how the cables go, maybe 90Mb.

Advertisement