Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

On checking for details on fibre roll-out for my number on the Eir website I get the following:
    "Our current estimate for the arrival of eir Fibre in your area is: NGA_DONUT"
    Can anyone explain?

It means if you leave tea and donuts out for the lads doing the installation you can get it right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

BandMember wrote: »
    While those points are valid and understandable (although you forgot to include "terrible product"), yourself and your 240MB speeds won't get much sympathy here from people who are on speeds of 1 to less than 10MB and if you think Virgin are hard to deal with, try dealing with some of the WISPS and midband suppliers out there and you'll quickly realise how lucky you are! ;)

Oh and terrible product.

I have in the past worked for Imagine and Sky and a PBX supplier so I am aware of just how bloody awful they all can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mayhem1213

Oh and terrible product.

I have in the past worked for Imagine and Sky and a PBX supplier so I am aware of just how bloody awful they all can be.

Bonnie, I had a problem with UPC billing which then got worse with Virgin moving the call centre to Asia and now need to find someone new. Have also heard Sky are not great and "Eir" have a terrible reputation for tech and service. Given your experience in the trade, who would you recommend for a new subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Got the efibre installed on Wednesday, here's the results ;)

Wednesday:

Today:
    371366.png

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Nuno

Got the efibre installed on Wednesday, here's the results ;)

Wednesday:

Today:
    371366.png

Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

michaelivo wrote: »
    Bonnie, I had a problem with UPC billing which then got worse with Virgin moving the call centre to Asia and now need to find someone new. Have also heard Sky are not great and "Eir" have a terrible reputation for tech and service. Given your experience in the trade, who would you recommend for a new subscription?

Liberty had already moved the call centre to Philippines before the rebrand. Nothing else has changed bar the logo.

---

Personally if I could get fibre I'd go with Sky if the deal is worth it.

I have their TV service so I would prefer to have one supplier and bill.

My GF has Sky Fibre in her place and they have had no problems whatsoever since it was installed in August.

---

Having a call centre in Ireland is a big thing for me so Sky tick those boxes for me.

TBH as an ex-eMobile customer eir's customer service has drastically improved over the last few years. So I'd have no qualms going with them either for service.

Whoever is best value gets my dollar.

(It should be said that I was very happy with eMobile for the 3 years I was with them but I moved to ID Mobile as I got a friends and family deal for 15pm so it was a no brainer to leave.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Sky is fully unlimited with regards to download cap..due to their on demand service on the skybox..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Roost

ED E wrote: »
    I'd get DSL services up now, who knows how long SIRO will be actually rolling things out. eir are the ones making progress at the moment.

Up down/Down Up.

If you arent on eFibre now the reading is to the exchange, not the cab. ADSL attenuation has nothing to do with FTTC attenuation.

Just order it.

Hey Ed
    Just to report back . One month later . Sky hub in . With hard wired lap top best every was 47mbs . No where near 70-80 so not what you expected . It drops big time in the evening . 18-20 . Last night at 1am it dropped to 13 mbs. Rubbish . Had to switch of movie was buffering .
    What you think then ?
    Regards

Roost

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Quoting all the previous posts for simplicity as its a few pages back.
    Roost wrote: »
    Hey Ed
    Just to report back . One month later . Sky hub in . With hard wired lap top best every was 47mbs . No where near 70-80 so not what you expected . It drops big time in the evening . 18-20 . Last night at 1am it dropped to 13 mbs. Rubbish . Had to switch of movie was buffering .
    What you think then ?
    Regards

Roost
    Hi Ed e. I have booked the sky fiber up to 100 bla bla , line good for 80 they say subject to stable speed . I have the adsl. line rated at 5mb we never get better than 3.5 . So my mate in the newer estate getting 22 made me think.... load a balls.
    Hi . I live in skerries . I see where the cabinets are around me (and on the map). I want to get in e fiber from sky or Vodafone . Up to 100mb. They all tell me my line good for 80mb. I wonder 55 ish I feel at best I might be wrong . Anyway Is there anyway knowing which cabinet they will connect me to? There is one 3-4 blocks away or at end of my cul de sac over the wall and down road a bit is another cabinet about 100 meters away . Should I ask KN group ? Sign up to a contract 12 or 18 months then find out after only get 20mb not more than I'm on current adsl . I understand each house speed will vary as we all have separate line from the cabinet terminations resistance differences etc.
    Any good feedback please .
    Hi

I was just wondering how people next door going to know which cabinet they or I could be on?

Sky up to 100mb but says my line only good for 80mb. I spoke to friend in next estate . Its newer estate that mine. He only getting 22mbps with sky. Now that is a very big concern !!! ???
    Hi I'm none the wiser . CABS's meaning?

I just wondering this figure the providers say " your lines good for 80mbps sir , we just tested it " with packages sold for max up to 100mbps . Is it all a scam and I will be disappointed if I go for this wonderful fiber B/band.

regards
    The router line attenuation is 47/31 db why 2 ? (lowest and max ?) The cabinets are 50 - 60 meters and another around 500 meters. I expect the exchange is much further away. this speedguide site saying 3400 or 2200 meters depending what figure I use. (47/31 ) is the exchange only for adsl nothing to do with fiber?
    I'd get DSL services up now, who knows how long SIRO will be actually rolling things out. eir are the ones making progress at the moment.

Up down/Down Up.

If you arent on eFibre now the reading is to the exchange, not the cab. ADSL attenuation has nothing to do with FTTC attenuation.

Just order it.
    He's not. Has a line, they quoted 80Mb, few clicks from the DSLAM. Definitely not DF.

1. Put your phone number into the digiweb line checker here: http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/
    Itll give the current prequal

2. Login to the sky hub and get the stats, itll give us a better idea of whats up.

As you've got Sky troubleshooting is a bit trickier as Sierra will blame KNN and KNN will blame sierra if anythings f'cked up.

Sky CS is good though, so its very much worth calling them.

I did that digiweb line checker:

Results
    Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 5 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 5 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 80 MB

LLU Enabled: No

I yet to login into the sky Hub for stats you mentioned . Hope they jump out
    regards

• Advertisement

In any case its way under the prequal, call sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Connected to the vdsl enabled exchange in Carrignavar, people there are getting upwards of 70mbps down.
    However I'm 4.5km from this exchange and stuck at 3.5mbps. A perfect 3.50mbps/0.30mbps connection, it hits those speeds as soon as you run a speedtest and instantly flat lines at that, like it's capped or something. Not even wavering by 0.01mbps.

I seem to be on a G.DMT connection, not even ADSL1. Is this what I'm stuck with or could I get patched into an ADSL port in the exchange, maybe get 5-8mbps? Really annoying considering I was promised 10mbps on switching.
    There's a new fibre cabinet being built within the year, about 2.8km from me, not many houses in the area, will I see an improvement off that if I'm connnected to it?

Stats grabbed from my router:
    DSL Mode: ITU G.992.1(G.DMT)
    Speed:4096kbps/384kbps
    Line Attenuation: 48.5dB/29.0dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 10.5dB/22.0dB

G.DMT is ADSL1.

That line is under used, they can push you up to 5_0.5. But no more, no way you're getting 10 at that range.

How do you know it's under used? Hell, I'd be delighted with 5mbps.

Down SNR threshold is 6dB, below that you become unstable, normally you want to stay around 6.8-7db. 9dB represents 2x the strength of 6dB, and you're at 10dB. Thats enough headroom to push 5Mb without falling too low.

The usual tips apply too, make sure the modem is in the master socket, no crappy phone cables, all phones filtered if necessary.

The maths says your line is 3500m long, so either the exchange isnt as far as you think or the cabling is very good.

That could be right I suppose, I just calculated the shortest road distance to the exchange, I suppose the lines don't necessarily follow the road.

It's in the master socket, all phones are filtered, yet I still get exactly 3.50mbps down on whatever device I use. Ping is pretty decent, about 30ms. Any idea why I get the constant speed? Or how to get Eircom to up it to 5?

The modem knows its link speed, it wont transmit more than that. ATM has some overheads so your effective rate is 86% of the line rate, which is right where its expected to be.

Just call their tech department, they'll be able to do it on the phone with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

My exchange is scheduled to be upgraded on the 13th of Jan, should I be applying or doing anything now? Don't want to wait until it goes live to find i'm at the back of a queue and have to wait another few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

My exchange is scheduled to be upgraded on the 13th of Jan, should I be applying or doing anything now? Don't want to wait until it goes live to find i'm at the back of a queue and have to wait another few weeks!

I was thinking the very same when ours was due to be upgraded, I rang in numerous times prior to being upgraded and it was never on their system so leave it until about a week before hand to book your appointment :)

In any case its way under the prequal, call sky.

I got on to sky. spoke to a lady who keeps putting you on hold and dealing with some tech guy who you cannot speak to directly. He claims nothing wrong with my pair from the cabinet ... Such rubbish. No way he can test the cable correctly remotely .no way ... I tested my pair unofficially with a megger and there multiple faults.. Hence why my fiber is so unstable . sky sending me out new Hub . I have have agreed to let them post it out and go through the motions.. My speed fell to 13mbs today ...!! I wont let them off the hook till they fork out and have eircom or KN sort it out.

• Advertisement

He's talking through his arse, he can have an MTAU/DSLAM test within 90 seconds.

Keep chacing them, its the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

With FTTH, would I be right to assume that distance from the exchange does not matter? Is it literally a fibre cable from the exchange to your house?

Have we any info on how accurate the blue lines on the maps are? Where I now live, the line stops exactly 350 metres short of my house in a rural area. When I check the map it says "Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress".

I cannot get any broadband at all, the exchange has never provided any broadband at all here. I was wondering if there is any way to contact Eir and request they extend their plans another 350 metres so that I can avail of the 1Gb service, or even any service at all.

Failing that I will be considering offering to pay for a neighbours service and create my own line of sight wireless connection to their house. I had UPC 240Mb and loved it, but hated living in a town. Ive been gaming on Battlefield 4 and playing Rocket League over 3G, but its not the best experience as its unreliable and data caps are crippling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I cannot get any broadband at all, the exchange has never provided any broadband at all here. I was wondering if there is any way to contact Eir and request they extend their plans another 350 metres so that I can avail of the 1Gb service, or even any service at all.

No point. It's open eir (Eircom Wholesale) that's doing the rollout, and they don't give any info to individual consumers.

With FTTH, would I be right to assume that distance from the exchange does not matter? Is it literally a fibre cable from the exchange to your house?

Have we any info on how accurate the blue lines on the maps are? Where I now live, the line stops exactly 350 metres short of my house in a rural area. When I check the map it says "Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress".

Failing that I will be considering offering to pay for a neighbours service and create my own line of sight wireless connection to their house. I had UPC 240Mb and loved it, but hated living in a town. Ive been gaming on Battlefield 4 and playing Rocket League over 3G, but its not the best experience as its unreliable and data caps are crippling.

Runs can go 10km without problems, most telephone exchanges cover a maximum of 8km (max POTS length) so essentially the tech will never be the limit.

Blue lines are a sketch, a very rough sketch, of where they might cover. Where they run is mostly irrelevant.

If you're just outside an eir catchment you'll be included in the NBP. All going to plan you'll have service by 2020.

How do I tell if the work they are doing is FTTH or just the FTTC stuff?

How do I tell if the work they are doing is FTTH or just the FTTC stuff?

Ask them.

All FTTC work will include dark fiber for later use by FTTH, so they're interlinked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Is there a rough guideline on time frames once work has started? Base has finally gone in for a cabinet in my local cabinet (Rushbrooke, direct exchange fed) - should I be expecting fibre in weeks? Work commencing hasn't been marked on the eircom map.

Is there a rough guideline on time frames once work has started? Base has finally gone in for a cabinet in my local cabinet (Rushbrooke, direct exchange fed) - should I be expecting fibre in weeks? Work commencing hasn't been marked on the eircom map.

You're confused, if you're DF then cabs dont matter*. Each job is its own, a plinth could sit empty for six months or be done the next week, only eir planning would know and won't tell a soul usually.

*Unless you're on an RSU cabinet sized exchange, then maybe.

Ask them.

All FTTC work will include dark fiber for later use by FTTH, so they're interlinked.

Who do I phone? Ive been on the phone to Eir, they are useless. There is no ability to contact OpenEir myself. Eir say they have no information until the work has been completed and a line has been laid. They say they cant contact openeir and ask them what work is being done on the local exchange. They cant even tell me if its FTTH or FTTC or even acknowledge what the blue lines on the map represent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

You're confused, if you're DF then cabs dont matter*. Each job is its own, a plinth could sit empty for six months or be done the next week, only eir planning would know and won't tell a soul usually.

*Unless you're on an RSU cabinet sized exchange, then maybe.

TBH I don't know what type it is, but there is definitely some type of cabinet there currently (RBK1_E01). It was listed as being due to be 'rehomed' on the old Eircom Excel sheet that was knocking around, so perhaps it's being replaced by a standard cabinet and being connected to Cobh exchange? When we were connected to the phone line 10 years ago, the engineer mentioned us being connected to a 'mini exchange' if that makes a difference?

Advertisement