Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

i was looking for something that offers a little more coverage at the back of my head so went with this bad boy

11667444_10153758699316549_8294655100999942802_n.jpg?oh=5f4c06a49fa8b040e84d3935c799d4c9&oe=561A7367

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,532 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

stecleary wrote: »
    i was looking for something that offers a little more coverage at the back of my head so went with this bad boy
    Sorry - doesn't properly match club gear - you're dropping down the NCD fredness league ...

ah now come on your "orange" POC is miles off the club gear.
    And as for them shoes, way off club colors

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,532 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

stecleary wrote: »
    ah now come on your "orange" POC is miles off the club gear.
    And as for them shoes, way off club colors

Didn't you get the memo? We're changing the club gear colours to make sure they match those oranges and blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Bought my first road bike yesterday . A carrera virtuoso it's called . I can't wait to get started today . Cycled home from the bike shop last night to get a feel for the gears and breaks .

Only thing I'm a bit nervous about is . When I stoped at lights and I go to restart I found it very difficult to get my feet back into the peddle straps. Twice I had to stop and lean against a fence and place my feet in before I pushed off .

Bought the bike for extra fitness and I can leave the car at home and cycle in 3 from 5 working days .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Only thing I'm a bit nervous about is . When I stoped at lights and I go to restart I found it very difficult to get my feet back into the peddle straps.

Take them off and just use the flats then when you feel like you want a better connection on the pedals upgrade to clipless pedals.

Those toe straps create more issues than they resolve and a more difficult to use than clipless imo.

Congrats on the new bike may ye have many memorable miles together :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

20150717_182835.jpg

Bow-chik-a-wow-wow.

Unfortunately both my knees are now acting up. Oh the inhumanity of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    Didn't you get the memo? We're changing the club gear colours to make sure they match those oranges and blue

I heard it's going to be red, black and white like ours....and the blanch lads.....and the clontarf lads....one big cycling conurbation on the northside.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I heard it's going to be red, black and white like ours....and the blanch lads.....and the clontarf lads....one big cycling conurbation on the northside.
    Yep - now understand the big club in the area is swallowing up the minnows, and we're going for United's colours (the guy in charge of the money insisted on that apparently) - already have the red Bont's on order (another 7 weeks for delivery though which should give us a bit of time to get the "takeovers" sorted)

Anyone looking for a pair of blue and orange Bonts (special limited edition)?

• Advertisement

(special limited edition)?

THANKFULLY

"Team" Bonts all round - pity none of you lot are in my team:pac:

What size are those shoes? They look tiny.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    What size are those shoes? They look tiny.
    Get yourself a larger computer screen - they will look bigger then....

They are only 43/44, but are extra, extra wide - would usually need 46s in "normal" cycling shoes to get them wide enough, but can get into 45s with the Sidi Megas and size 43/44 when made to measure. It's a nice change to have some shoes that are snug all round like them

Get yourself a larger computer screen - they will look bigger then....

They are only 43/44, but are extra, extra wide - would usually need 46s in "normal" cycling shoes to get them wide enough, but can get into 45s with the Sidi Megas and size 43/44 when made to measure. It's a nice change to have some shoes that are snug all round like them

Extra, extra wide eh? Wow, you must have massive ............ socks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Bow-chik-a-wow-wow.

Red? Is this Tour de Fer? looks stunning!

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    Red? Is this Tour de Fer? looks stunning!

Nope it's the Croix. despite the un-cx'y cable routing.

Aaah, for some reason I understood you're getting a 2nd hand one, and this is 2015 Croix 10.

What size is it? I wonder what is the difference with the curvy fork... Straight one (2014) is very flexy front/back, and I like it.
    the un-cx'y cable routing.

Its not a CX bike after all :) More of an all-rounder, but bottom cable routing does not really affect racing. I guess it was always necessary for canti brakes, with discs does not matter anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Lovely, RollingScone!

Hope you get out on 'er soon!

Aaah, for some reason I understood you're getting a 2nd hand one, and this is 2015 Croix 10.

What size is it? I wonder what is the difference with the curvy fork... Straight one (2014) is very flexy front/back, and I like it.

Its not a CX bike after all :) More of an all-rounder, but bottom cable routing does not really affect racing. I guess it was always necessary for canti brakes, with discs does not matter anymore.

Nah twas OldBean who bought and subsequently "lost" a second hand CdF.

Tis a 58cm.

Tis a 58cm.

Perfect :)

(This has nothing to do with the fact that I know where you live)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Nah twas OldBean who bought and subsequently "lost" a second hand CdF.

:(

Perfect :)

(This has nothing to do with the fact that I know where you live)

Oh yeah. Well I know where you buy your adult toys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Nice bike rollingscone, looks like it would be a good cycle touring bike, am I wrong?

Brian wrote: »
    Nice bike rollingscone, looks like it would be a good cycle touring bike, am I wrong?

You mean something like this?http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/expedition/tour-de-fer

😉

The Croix de Fer does have bosses for racks & mudguards though so other than geometry I can't see any reason not to tour on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Where did you buy yours?

Brian wrote: »
    Where did you buy yours?

ThinkBike in Rathmines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

havent posted in here in a while. ordered this today - Caad 10 force racing edition

16gc3e9.jpg

Might weight weenie it to annoy carbon bike riders... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

lennymc wrote: »
    havent posted in here in a while. ordered this today - Caad 10 force racing edition

Might weight weenie it to annoy carbon bike riders... :)

Nice machine. If you look on the weight-weenies forum you can see that it is a popular bike there.

saw that alright. Some might light bikes.
    I think i will go wheels/tyres, maybe stem and bars and seatpost. Dont want to sacrifice reliability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Tb14 rims with ultegra hubs.

Went with box profile with comfort in mind, but it looks well also. Black rim, I presume it'll wear off like the archtype rim.

I'll test the comfort theory tonight on a few choice roads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Picked the Edge 25 up today with an out front mount
    DSC_0945-01_zps6ngdzn27.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Picked up a Garmin Edge 200 today.

Just mounted it now.

And lights off;

356414.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

Credit card took a beating this month..

Red Shifters and lizard skin tape to replace my broken rival shifter

& new Shoes, can never have enough shoes, Northware Extreme Tech Plus

20150728_210959_zps4ua6phkc.jpg

20150522_204019_zpsljslv7bs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Picked up a Castelli Pocket Liner on special from crc for €285. Out yesterday and just Wow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Having bought a bike and started to cycle to work recently, finding this thread is not good.

It's amazing what i can justify buying if when i convince myself all the money I'm saving on diesel!

Borderfox wrote: »
    Picked the Edge 25 up today with an out front mount
    DSC_0945-01_zps6ngdzn27.jpeg

Really like the compact size of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Having bought a bike and started to cycle to work recently, finding this thread is not good.

It's amazing what i can justify buying if when i convince myself all the money I'm saving on diesel!

The key here is to "save on diesel for a year" and then see what that money can buy you :)

omri wrote: »
    what that money can buy you :)

more bikes

This-Guy-Needs-More-Bikes.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

lennymc wrote: »
    more bikes

MERIDA ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Hasmunch wrote: »

It's actually quite easy to buy stuff for your bike/cycling. What I do is go into a clothes shop, pick out a few pairs of jeans and a couple if shirts and maybe a jacket. Make sure they all fit properly and then leave them back on the rack. €200 saved in one foul swoop. Get online and buy s new saddle/jacket/handlebars/tyres etc etc with the money you saved not buying the clothes earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

It's actually quite easy to buy stuff for your bike/cycling. What I do is go into a clothes shop, pick out a few pairs of jeans and a couple if shirts and maybe a jacket. Make sure they all fit properly and then leave them back on the rack. €200 saved in one foul swoop. Get online and buy s new saddle/jacket/handlebars/tyres etc etc with the money you saved not buying the clothes earlier.

That energy would be better spent on the hills. Would you not window shop online, decide not to buy and simply exit the site. Same saving and vital energy saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

omri wrote: »
    MERIDA ??

Mower buyek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

before......
    20150414_170904_zpsem7dfscs.jpg

after.....duuuuurty!!
    20150730_164951_zpsaaqzvtcr.jpg

Wont eat for the rest of the year but thats a small detail.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

love the wheels, tubs or clinchers? do you mind if i ask how much they set you back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

3102derek wrote: »
    love the wheels, tubs or clinchers? do you mind if i ask how much they set you back?

Clinchers, and no dear wife, no matter how many fake accounts you set up on boards you'll not find out! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Clinchers, and no dear wife, no matter how many fake accounts you set up on boards you'll not find out! ;)
    Point of order...

This thread is about spending money. On this thread beauty is off-topic.
    There's another thread about beauty. On that thread money is off-topic.

So I think you posted in the wrong thread :)

(I am not a mod)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Have a trip coming up and went a little overboard with the credit card last night and Wednesday on a few bits and pieces. Mostly Castelli

356897.JPG

356898.JPG

356899.JPG

356900.JPG

356902.JPG

Got a chain as well.

Need to get a spare hanger now for the trip just in case

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    before......
    20150414_170904_zpsem7dfscs.jpg

after.....duuuuurty!!
    20150730_164951_zpsaaqzvtcr.jpg

Wont eat for the rest of the year but thats a small detail.....

Belongs in the "Now I need to change my underwear" thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

CLufcnoWUAA-VOg.jpg

Signed Marcel Kittel and John Degenkolb jersey arrived today, bought via their FB competition. They were auctioning off 102 of them, for charity (German youth cycling...so yeah, not exactly Oxfam).

It was a pretty generous deal, my bid was a bit less than the retail price in the webshop, and they paid the postage and 19% tax. Delighted with that. Hoping to mount it on the wall somehow.

CLufcnoWUAA-VOg.jpg

Signed Marcel Kittel and John Degenkolb jersey arrived today, bought via their FB competition. They were auctioning off 102 of them, for charity (German youth cycling...so yeah, not exactly Oxfam).

It was a pretty generous deal, my bid was a bit less than the retail price in the webshop, and they paid the postage and 19% tax. Delighted with that. Hoping to mount it on the wall somehow.

Very nice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement