Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Options
  • 28-05-2009 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

I know you all do it........yes even you!!
    You get bored and start looking at those Zipp 303's and then next thing you know you've bought a load of gear and justify it by saying....at least I didn't drop a K on new wheels..............
    Its the one where, when your wife(s.o.) asks where did that jersey come from, you reply "Oh this old thing, have it ages"........just like she does with shoes :)

So I thought it would be nice to have a thread where you post what you've bought so others can pat you on the back and say how nice it is, so the guilt of spending is just a little bit less :)

..............I'm bored in work, I should have left the CC at home and I just bought these 2 jerseys off PBK, help me feel less guilty please :o:o

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C7864

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=c8604

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Funny I was just about to start a thread about this.

I've had a bit of obsession about ordering tools online recently, with my justification being that it'll cut down on service costs. Meh... I don't think I even believe that anymore! :P

Chain breakers and wear indicators part of everyone's home kit? Please say yes!

Yeah I got that e-mail from PBK, started viewing some of their stuff. Have been good lately, haven't ordered anything in a few weeks (although I'm waiting patiently for one of those in-sy bags to arrive sometime).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

That first jersey is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

What's even worse is when they accept PayPal,you don't even need the damn card.
    Yesterdays purchase...
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2239
    and for when the temperature drops...
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2240:D

Just love that top and still have some originals from the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

What's even worse is when they accept PayPal,you don't even need the damn card.
    Yesterdays purchase...
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2239
    and for when the temperature drops...
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2240:D

Just love that top and still have some originals from the 80's.

Class gear in the 80s wasnt there...super purchases..... dont feel guilty my friend...you probably deserve it..... like when did you last make a cycling related purchase den eh how many days ago ?...................or was it hours ???????? LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    ..... like when did you last make a cycling related purchase den eh how many days ago ?...................or was it hours ???????? LOL

Eh....Tuesday.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I try and time deliveries for days when the missus is at work.Went wrong this week.Forgot about the Bank Holiday in the UK.Had to spend all morning Wed in the front garden waiting on postie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

bcmf wrote: »
    I try and time deliveries for days when the missus is at work.Went wrong this week.Forgot about the Bank H0oliday in the UK.Had to spend all morning Wed in the front garden waiting on postie.

One of the benefits of having your own business (not home based) :D
    Though when I recently got a Ridley Noah (impulse buy) Mrs Fowl heard about it from a client and already knew when I told her, not a good vibe (spare room time :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think we are all the same person. I just stuck the chain wear indicator in me basket!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

bcmf wrote: »
    I try and time deliveries for days when the missus is at work.Went wrong this week.Forgot about the Bank Holiday in the UK.Had to spend all morning Wed in the front garden waiting on postie.

Thats exactly what I do :)
    I work shift so I'm always off Sun/Mon/Tues & every second Wed.
    I know 3 delivery men by first name now.....worse they know me :)
    Its a dodgy time for me now though, we're doing the 6 month shift change (from one end of the week until the other.........can be dangerous if delivery men get the wrong day ;)

PS Does anyone have any recommendations/experience of what to do if your wife is going to be on maternity leave and will always be home? Where do you deliver to then?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

It doesn't matter if i leave card at home.. i have memorized the number.. its just hopeless!

(I just ordered some jerseys...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

RobFowl wrote: »
    One of the benefits of having your own business (not home based) :D
    Though when I recently got a Ridley Noah (impulse buy) Mrs Fowl heard about it from a client and already knew when I told her, not a good vibe (spare room time :eek:)

Sincere thanks. My impulse buys involve a jersey or at a stretch a new saddle.

Buy a Ridley Noah on impulse .... hang on - would make a hell of an advert.
    A couple of nights in the spare room with the Noah hanging on the wall seems like a small price to pay imho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

AstraMonti wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if i leave card at home.. i have memorized the number.. its just hopeless!

(I just ordered some jerseys...)

Well done [pat on the back]
    I'm sure they'll look superb :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Wiggle do Paypal, but it makes it easier when you need to order the essentials:-

Your Orders Goods OrderrightCurve_WHITE.GIFspace.gif
    Order No
    Order Date Thursday, May 28, 2009
    Order Time 3:46 PM
    Status Processed on Friday, May 29, 2009

Items Ordered
    • 1 of dhb Finchdean Bib Shorts (Med)
    • 1 of Udderly Smooth Extra Care Cream 8oz (Tub)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

... in the meantime ... your 'wag's are probably also shopping behind your back, and for things even more useless... but you men are so hoplessly oblivious that you don't even notice, 'ye bunch of eedjits!'

Guys, please tell me how I can justify Mavic Cosmic Carbones?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Raam wrote: »
    Just tell her you'll let her use them. Or do the ' Let's buy Mavic Cosmic wheels that we can share'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Wedding present

Wedding present

Oh you guys :) You shouldn't have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Bikes are a lot like shoes and dresses - the less there is of them, the more they cost!!!

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    Bikes are a lot like shoes and dresses - the less there is of them, the more they cost!!!

and the hawter they look

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Oh you guys :) You shouldn't have!

Thank god we didn't then :)

-you'll just love the fondue set

-you'll just love the fondue set

Really, you shouldn't have

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Just to get this thread back on topic - probably the most interesting bike clearance sale i've ever come across. hide that credit card....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Itsfixed wrote: »
    Just to get this thread back on topic - probably the most interesting bike clearance sale i've ever come across. hide that credit card....

Interesting BB30 bike. Prototype?

I feel dizzy now.

Ultimate commuter?

interested wrote: »
    Buy a Ridley Noah on impulse .... hang on - would make a hell of an advert.
    A couple of nights in the spare room with the Noah hanging on the wall seems like a small price to pay imho ;)

Ha.he is still there after going on 'hols' last week and then coming home and buying a set of zipps.

lafors wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I do :)
    PS Does anyone have any recommendations/experience of what to do if your wife is going to be on maternity leave and will always be home? Where do you deliver to then?? :eek:

Get yourself a 3v card.Register it in your parents/house and happy shopping.

If your missus ain't into bikes you can disguise the cost of some items, however, when she is into them, that's a non-runner. There's no way to disguise Zipps as "wha? these aul things? 30 quid luv"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

These purchases are nothing more than an investment in a healthy life style. A cycling top is cheaper than a GP visit (try paying for a tripple by-pass)

Your addiction not as detrimental as alcoholism, gambling or other addictions.
    Your constant looking, searching, examining of gear and gear of others (while is mildly psychotic) is far more preferable than doing the same for the 'other type of gear'.
    You have friends and comrades who understand and support you. They will aid you in spending but also in repairing when your not.

The fact that your OH may not understand is healthy thing, one must have ones own pursuits. If your OH shares your passion thats healthy too, its a win win situation.

If you put it all together cycling is...

Exercise
    Pass time
    social outlet
    hobby

If one were not involved in such activity then they would perhaps:
    • excercise twice a week, this can mean hundreds of euro in gym membership (gym gear which costs just as much as cycling equip)
    • need to have a pass time, what do people do? watch TV for hours? go shopping? (Many struggle to fill the time between work and bed) yawn.....zzzz
    • Social outlet: prob go to the pub, unhealthy and costs an absolute fortune, also leads to late nights and sleepins and other unhealthy behaviour (thus leading to a need for more gym membership etc)
    • Hobby: seen any nice stamps lately? (nuf said) Hobbies can cost a fortune!!
    So what I'm saying is if you add up what a non bikie spends trying to fill the void it too is endless and less rewarding than biking.
    So the next €50 jersey, or carbon valve dust covers that you just gotta have, accept the necessity of your biking choice and remember that in using your new purchase you will be stronger, healthier, fitter, happier and probably live longer because what you must buy you must use!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

If your missus ain't into bikes you can disguise the cost of some items, however, when she is into them, that's a non-runner. There's no way to disguise Zipps as "wha? these aul things? 30 quid luv"

Nah, just take the decals off and get a Lidl sticker on there

Advertisement