Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Beasty wrote: »
    Haha! Now have 4 disc wheels, 2 five spoke front track wheels and 7 PMs (with another on order)

(I think:o)

thank god i've no interest in track. 3 sets of road wheels and a disc is more than enough. having to have more wheels for the track and i'd need a bigger shed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    "It's my money, I'll spend it how I like".
    Try that line. If she gives you grief, then I guess it's just not meant to be with you two.
    After the breakup you will still have your two new bikes. Good times.

One of us must be adopted for that first line is shocking!

Beasty wrote: »
    I like to spread my wares around

OK, maybe the wording adopted was more for effect, as I only currently have bikes in 3 separate locations although I would plan on boosting one of my offshore "fleets" before too long. Will probably get another couple when I buy the next holiday home in the Caribbean or Asia Pac region as well:p

It's tough for those of us with other bikes around Europe indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Lads there's a serious amount of I hope the wife don't find out going on here. Sort it out. Spend your money as you see fit just make sure the bills are paid first. Of all else fails sell the wife and buy more bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

stecleary wrote: »
    Lads there's a serious amount of I hope the wife don't find out going on here. Sort it out. Spend your money as you see fit just make sure the bills are paid first. Of all else fails sell the wife and buy more bikes

Indeed. Treat yourself, if you can afford it and if you want to. Nothing wrong with that. No need to feel guilty about it. If someone gives you grief after that... well why don't they want you to be happy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think most of it is in gest

It's not "your" money. It's "our" money. The bit that she knows about anyway!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bottom line - she's entitled to half the debt I've taken on to fund all purchases so she has no grounds for complaint here.....

luckily the bike gear is relatively cheap compared to home cinema gear. that's my saving grace

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife's interest is in horseriding. for anyone whose partner balks at the cost of bikes, just get them interested in horseriding. they'll never be able to complain about the cost of bikes again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

CLufcnoWUAA-VOg.jpg

Signed Marcel Kittel and John Degenkolb jersey arrived today, bought via their FB competition. They were auctioning off 102 of them, for charity (German youth cycling...so yeah, not exactly Oxfam).

It was a pretty generous deal, my bid was a bit less than the retail price in the webshop, and they paid the postage and 19% tax. Delighted with that. Hoping to mount it on the wall somehow.

Might require a little saving, but the guys in Hang Tough by Portobello do a really good job with this kind of thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Raam wrote: »
    Indeed. Treat yourself, if you can afford it and if you want to. Nothing wrong with that. No need to feel guilty about it. If someone gives you grief after that... well why don't they want you to be happy?

My brother in-law spent €2k on a 2nd hand mountain bike recently. Once my wife heard her immediate response was that I should buy a new bike. Score! Of course I told her it would be at least €2.5k as no way was I going 2nd hand... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

smacl wrote: »
    My brother in-law spent €2k on a 2nd hand mountain bike recently. Once my wife heard her immediate response was that I should buy a new bike. Score! Of course I told her it would be at least €2.5k as no way was I going 2nd hand... ;)

Your wife should start a support group for other wives to help them understand...

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭oakley2097

When the support group starts can someone forward me details

the otherhalf doesn't understand why a new bike need new wheels :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

oakley2097 wrote: »

That's her problem, not yours.

Yes, but I do have to live with her

The DA C50s are perfect for the propel...

Yes, but I do have to live with her

The DA C50s are perfect for the propel...

It's cool. Raam doesn't reapect his wife or her opinions. His world is different to yours!

She did agree to buy new shoes for the my bday - Black R171s :) so she cant be that bad

When the support group starts can someone forward me details

she's a woman. she has either got multiple shoes, or multiple handbags. tell her when your # of bikes or # of wheelsets exceeds her # of bags she can complain...

mossym wrote: »
    she's a woman. she has either got multiple shoes, or multiple handbags. tell her when your # of bikes or # of wheelsets exceeds her # of bags she can complain...

Have you just the one pair of shoes?

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Have you just the one pair of shoes?

Relative to how many pairs my wife has, then yes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

mossym wrote: »

I don't even know where to start...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

gadetra wrote: »

If she has more wheelsets than you, you're probably winning at life.

Shoes and bags are useless unless they're cycling specific.

If she has more wheelsets than you, you're probably winning at life.

Shoes and bags are useless unless they're cycling specific.

The biggest consideration is are ye the same size so you can steal all new things for your own use :P*

On a side note unless it's coming out of your family's mouths why does it matter how you spend your money?

*An ex of mine bought a nicer bike than I had at the time on his bike to work scheme, and hardly ever rode it. So I used to take it out for spins when he was out. :cool: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

*An ex of mine bought a nicer bike than I had at the time on his bike to work scheme, and hardly ever rode it. So I used to take it out for spins when he was out. :cool: :eek:

This is pure evil :)

omri wrote: »
    This is pure evil :)

He never even knew! (I did tell him later) And it made the bike so happy. That's the important thing, they get very depressed if they don't get out and about. It was a charitable act :P

The biggest consideration is are ye the same size so you can steal all new things for your own use :P*

On a side note unless it's coming out of your family's mouths why does it matter how you spend your money?

I used to do that with my brother's bike. Used to. Yes that's right. Good thing he ain't on here!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I used to do that with my brother's bike. Used to. Yes that's right. Good thing he ain't on here!

Your secret is safe here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

And screen grab for tomorrow night. Assuming he's ever allowed out again

• Advertisement

probably best not to

it was in the tone of the rest of the messages, firmly tongue in cheek. however it wasn't meant to offend, so i've deleted it.

i did show it to my wife before i deleted it though and the response was ah FFS what's the big deal.

Advertisement