Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

It's actually quite easy to buy stuff for your bike/cycling. What I do is go into a clothes shop, pick out a few pairs of jeans and a couple if shirts and maybe a jacket. Make sure they all fit properly and then leave them back on the rack. €200 saved in one foul swoop. Get online and buy s new saddle/jacket/handlebars/tyres etc etc with the money you saved not buying the clothes earlier.

That energy would be better spent on the hills. Would you not window shop online, decide not to buy and simply exit the site. Same saving and vital energy saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

omri wrote: »
    MERIDA ??

Mower buyek

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

before......
    20150414_170904_zpsem7dfscs.jpg

after.....duuuuurty!!
    20150730_164951_zpsaaqzvtcr.jpg

Wont eat for the rest of the year but thats a small detail.....

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

love the wheels, tubs or clinchers? do you mind if i ask how much they set you back?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

3102derek wrote: »
    love the wheels, tubs or clinchers? do you mind if i ask how much they set you back?

Clinchers, and no dear wife, no matter how many fake accounts you set up on boards you'll not find out! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Clinchers, and no dear wife, no matter how many fake accounts you set up on boards you'll not find out! ;)
    Point of order...

This thread is about spending money. On this thread beauty is off-topic.
    There's another thread about beauty. On that thread money is off-topic.

So I think you posted in the wrong thread :)

(I am not a mod)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Have a trip coming up and went a little overboard with the credit card last night and Wednesday on a few bits and pieces. Mostly Castelli

356897.JPG

356898.JPG

356899.JPG

356900.JPG

356902.JPG

Got a chain as well.

Need to get a spare hanger now for the trip just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    before......
    20150414_170904_zpsem7dfscs.jpg

after.....duuuuurty!!
    20150730_164951_zpsaaqzvtcr.jpg

Wont eat for the rest of the year but thats a small detail.....

Belongs in the "Now I need to change my underwear" thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

CLufcnoWUAA-VOg.jpg

Signed Marcel Kittel and John Degenkolb jersey arrived today, bought via their FB competition. They were auctioning off 102 of them, for charity (German youth cycling...so yeah, not exactly Oxfam).

It was a pretty generous deal, my bid was a bit less than the retail price in the webshop, and they paid the postage and 19% tax. Delighted with that. Hoping to mount it on the wall somehow.

CLufcnoWUAA-VOg.jpg

Signed Marcel Kittel and John Degenkolb jersey arrived today, bought via their FB competition. They were auctioning off 102 of them, for charity (German youth cycling...so yeah, not exactly Oxfam).

It was a pretty generous deal, my bid was a bit less than the retail price in the webshop, and they paid the postage and 19% tax. Delighted with that. Hoping to mount it on the wall somehow.

Very nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

CLufcnoWUAA-VOg.jpg

Did you get a supply of "zhe german engineering for your hair" with it ? ... and your left sock is not fit as good as the other one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

CLufcnoWUAA-VOg.jpg

I have the same socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

Ordered a MTB a few weeks ago, got a call from the shop to say its ready for collection today.

Ordered a new road frameset, got a call from the courier to say its with concierge in my apartment.

In most situations that would be great news, however I need to face herself with two new bikes she doesn't know about this evening.

I reckon I may be hospitalised with a bike wrapped around my head this eve, question is, will it be a road, track, cx, or MTB?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

<snip>
    Hoping to mount it on the wall somehow.

Make a flat cardboard body (slightly too big), pull jersey over it, mount in box frame, et voilá, mounted jersey :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

gadetra wrote: »
    Make a flat cardboard body (slightly too big), pull jersey over it, mount in box frame, et voilá, mounted jersey :D

For now I've just put it on a vaguely torso-shaped box and put it on a shelf, at some point I'll do something like that though :)

Voila

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Got some shimano shoes and first set of SPD pedals from CRC :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

comete wrote: »
    In most situations that would be great news, however I need to face herself with two new bikes she doesn't know about this evening.
    pretend you don't know a thing about them, and spend half an hour in her earshot shouting into a phone pretending to argue with someone about these items you did not order. then just shrug your shoulders and mutter 'the ball is in their court'. and start building the frame up.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Just dirty the MTB up a bit and just put it in the hallway. Wait until/if she mentions it. Play the "that's being there for ages, look at the state of it" card. if she believes you, great. If not, it's ready to jump on and hightail it out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

To be fair, you only need to explain ONE new bike and a replacement spare part - it's all about how you position it. Just practice in front of the mirror saying in a casual and dismissive way 'Sure the frameset is the cheapest part of a bike.....' :cool:

Anyway, as a wise man said on here recently, it's always easier to look for forgiveness than to look for permission!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Hide it. Then in a few weeks time when she ll notice it just reply that you had it for aaaaaaages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

"It's my money, I'll spend it how I like".
    Try that line. If she gives you grief, then I guess it's just not meant to be with you two.
    After the breakup you will still have your two new bikes. Good times.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Christ - my wife never knew about any of my bike purchases - she knows I have a few in the garage and at various other locations around the globe, but she has very little idea as to how, or indeed when, they got there (or indeed what Di2 or powermeters are, let alone how much these things cost)

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Beasty wrote: »
    Christ - my wife never knew about any of my bike purchases - she knows I have a few in the garage and at various other locations around the globe, but she has very little idea as to how, or indeed when, they got there (or indeed what Di2 or powermeters are, let alone how much these things cost)

Around the Globe??

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Weepsie wrote: »
    Around the Globe??

I like to spread my wares around

OK, maybe the wording adopted was more for effect, as I only currently have bikes in 3 separate locations although I would plan on boosting one of my offshore "fleets" before too long. Will probably get another couple when I buy the next holiday home in the Caribbean or Asia Pac region as well:p

IMG_20150806_195422_zpsj14zb4lf.jpg

Managed to hide the other one, for now...

IMG-20150806-WA0014_zpsv6rwp6hc.jpeg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Beasty wrote: »

my wife knows what my PM cost. it floored her more than any other purchase, mainly as she didn't understand it.

that was until she realised i spent as much on a disc wheel...a single wheel. that blew her mind altogether.

bikes she'd accept most anything. it's when a single component costs more than what she sees as expensive for a bike she flips.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mossym wrote: »
    my wife knows what my PM cost. it floored her more than any other purchase, mainly as she didn't understand it.

that was until she realised i spent as much on a disc wheel...a single wheel. that blew her mind altogether.

bikes she'd accept most anything. it's when a single component costs more than what she sees as expensive for a bike she flips.

I bought a fish tank once. My wife found out how much it cost. It cost more than her wedding dress. She will never find out how much my bikes cost or how much I spend on bike stuff after the reaction to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

This thread is doing me no good. There is a lovely Focus winking at me every time I'm in Kilmallock Cycles . In recently and I was trying to figure out how much was left on credit card and how to explain it.

Only got my present defy advanced last year

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »

Haha! Now have 4 disc wheels, 2 five spoke front track wheels and 7 PMs (with another on order)

(I think:o)

Advertisement