Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Options
1888990919294»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Built for Gorey on Friday. Frame from Paul Cycles was a steal at 1080 (older Supersix Evo Hi-Mod). Had the rest to put on already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

26269437246_22a2db0910_z.jpg

That's Saturday sorted. Sunday too, and probably next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

garmin-edge-520-hr-bundle3.jpg

Bought the 300 for a friend and was seriously impressed by it's output.
    Looking forward to seeing how the 800 stacks up.
    1198_img5.jpg

Coming soon....
    mavic_2011_r-sys-slr-road-bike-wheel1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30 molarspark

I once read somewhere that cycling is as addictive as cocain but more expensive. Cant have a bike without a kit and a change of kit and another change. Then summer and winter kit. Shoes. Helmet. Water bottles. Co2 pumps and a normal mini pump just in case. Multi tools chain breakers. Stand to mount the bike so you can use the tools. Since i took up cycling, garden is a jungle. It goes on and on and on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

molarspark wrote: »
    I once read somewhere that cycling is as addictive as cocain but more expensive. Cant have a bike without a kit and a change of kit and another change. Then summer and winter kit. Shoes. Helmet. Water bottles. Co2 pumps and a normal mini pump just in case. Multi tools chain breakers. Stand to mount the bike so you can use the tools. Since i took up cycling, garden is a jungle. It goes on and on and on and on.

you listed all the extras yet forgot a change of bike :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

You need to sort that out. In the absence of a spanking new kitchen, a tidy garden is essential for taking photos of your bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Can't help but agree. I swapped my jellies for hash and two new tubulars for the Boras. Either way I'm flying this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Week off work, time to tidy up the bike room.

Shopping got me into this mess, shopping will have to get me out...

I wandered around McQuillan and Halfords fiddling with various brands and concluded that the Halfords "professional" stuff is decent enough.

So I got this...

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-professional-5-drawer-chest-7-drawer-chest

After staring in wonder at the price of this Draper thing for a while, it feels like a bargain:

http://www.mcquillantools.ie/draper-expert-72-tool-chest-and-roller-cabinet-combo-deal-74535/

:eek:

professionalchest_cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

^^^
    For my tools, I nailed two bits of wood to the wall and knocked some nails into them to hang stuff off.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Raam wrote: »
    ^^^
    For my tools, I nailed two bits of wood to the wall and knocked some nails into them to hang stuff off.
    That sounds like an art installation, which is quite appropriate since they'll never go near a bike. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Uh-oh!

http://www.tacx.com/products/trainers/neo-smart

I'd better get cycling more than in the last year to make this worth it!

Also, my Tacx Fortius 1940 VR trainer coming to the adverts forum very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

You should try zwift ld.

Lumen, the halfords tools are actually quite good.

Have some ovally chain rings (54 40!!!!) On the way for the tt bike. Should look well hung on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Didn't have to leave the credit card machine at home.
    No problem, we'll drive you to the station and we'll find an atm on the way

So, bikes ++ and not only that, I now have a non SRAM equipped bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ordered yesterday

pimage_3703_1440543435.jpg

Should have it during the week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just got a set of Mavic Ksyrium Equip. Only problem is I used the wife's CC as I couldnt remember my pin. I maybe in trouble by the end of the month

PS How bad are the tyres on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭oakley2097

13534478_261602210877322_1416133341_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI4MzUwNjkyMzQ5MjU1MzIxNQ%3D%3D.2

Chorus 2015 plus a record headset....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Evan Cycle's have a demo sale on at the moment. Putting together a Di2 set up on the cheap if possible.

Shimano 6770 Ultegra Di2 SD50 Electric Wire (Ex-Demo / Ex-Display)
    SM-EW90-B 5 Port Di2 Junction A (Ex-Demo / Ex-Display)
    6770 Ultegra Di2 Junction For Internal Routing (Ex-Demo / Ex-Display)
    Ultegra Di2 6870 11-Speed E-Tube Rear Derailleur (Ex-Demo / Ex-Display)
    Ultegra Di2 6870 11-Speed E-Tube Front Derailleur (Ex-Demo / Ex-Display)
    Shimano 105 5800 11 Speed Road Cassette

Just need more wire, band on clamp, and internal batter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Bought one of these, in response to two conflicting issues
    - really like my Brooks B17, but it has no hole in it
    - really don't like Cambium C17 carved, the Brooks offering with a hole (and it's a pretty minimal hole
    - the medical guy says 'get a prostate-friendly saddle'...and the MaxFlow Gel that I duly bought, I really don't like.

It's on the bike now - hopefully get a short spin this evening on it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSv_Gy9ZlWG-PgYD12xjqnwLggEDRWTuSQKVP8JeVN7KfmaO6SY

It's not quite as ugly in the flesh 8-)

Incidentally, I bought mine direct from Gilles Berthoud. Turns out they're a bit cheaper from xxcycle (who also may do a snappier delivery - took about 8 days from France).

Update - how now ridden it for 20k, and over that distance it's as comfy as the B17. It's slightly narrower overall, with a longer, thinner, nose. Like the B17, it's pretty slick, you can shift your position a lot, if that's your preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

It's been a bad month for the MasterCard.

Fell for all the fancy marketing talk about the Gore One jacket, so in my endless search for a waterproof, breathable, small-packing jacket, I bought one.

JROFOC9900_1&wid=165&hei=165&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90&resMode=Sharp2&fmt=jpg

First impressions
    - it's rather black. No high-viz option available
    - it's rather dear (only from gore apparel dot eu)
    - it's really small...if it really is waterproof and breathable, it's a big step forward
    - it's quite breathable, at least. I wore it walking (injured - no biking) up the Sugarloaf on a hot and sticky day. No appreciable sweat in the 20mins or so of climbing...not even in the arms, which are (for me) the usual giveaway.

If I get out to try my new saddle,and it rains, then I'll get to test the jacket too.

Now, back to bread and water rations....

Advertisement