Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is not friendly enough to Muslim tourists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

no tourist has ever disclosed to me that they are Muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Well I wouldn't like to see more prayer rooms popping up to accommodate them. Less pandering to religion is what we need in this country, not more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

I say keep up the good work Ireland ....

...... Grabs another pork chop

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Perhaps we should increase our brutalisation of migrant workers to make UAE tourists feel more at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

There simply are two types of Muslim: the intelligent, moderate, well read one who knows what is and is not Islamic. For example, banning alcohol and forcing women to cover up is not Islamic and is a warped fascist tradition implemented by fascist dictatorships originally being Saudi Arabia.

The other type is the one blinded and brainwashed by fascist dictatorships like Saudi Arabia, ISIS and Taliban. Obviously, we owe such people a duty of care to get them out of this evil fascist anti-Muslim cult that blasphemes on Islam and uses and abuses Islam. We also owe ourselves a duty of care to protect ourselves from terrorists.

So, any Muslim tourist who complains about wine in restaurants and who then goes out and plans a terror attack that kills innocents is in fact breaching 3 rules of Islam: tolerance for others, the choice to eat and drink whatever as long as it does no harm to others and the fact that he will do harm to others anyway (even if he is not drinking).

But Brevik in Norway is no better. He said he hated 'Islam' (meaning fascist Muslims) and yet goes out and acts exactly like al Qaeda. Fascism and fascist tourists, to sum up, are not welcome anywhere and I am sure every country has enough domestic ones already let alone gaining new ones from other places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Oh right. Gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Americans travel to distant countries, and those countries cater them serving McDonalds there --- it should be the same for Muslims...! :pac:

jank wrote: »
    Oh great, something else we can feel guilty for.

You felt guilty at some point? :confused:

Joya wrote: »
    have many muslim friends and they have no probs at all..

I got numerous Muslim friends, those with a very laid back view on religion in general, that have no problem eating pork. Just don't tell their parents... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My heart bleeds for them.:rolleyes: I wonder just how European friendly Qatar is going to be for the 2020 World Cup. Now, I've no interest in football, but isn't binge drinking and general feckwittery by supporters messing around on the streets going to and from matches a big part of the experience? What genius decided to host it in a teetotal Muslim country that is notorious for it's lack of tolerance:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I got numerous Muslim friends, those with a very laid back view on religion in general, that have no problem eating pork. Just don't tell their parents... :D

I have mates like this as well. I think calling themselves Muslim is more identity-based than to do with any beliefs they hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Grayson wrote: »
    And yet the most popular holiday destination for people in the UK & Ireland is the south of spain. Which is about as spanish as Eastenders.

Well you don't even want to know what I think about the Brits abroad that moan about not being able to get a decent warm pint of bitter and a feed of fish and chips while on holiday. When in Rome.... I eat pasta!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Anyone getting worked up about this has reading comprehension problems. I will not apologise for saying that, because if you actually read the fuccking article:

• It's just an overview of facilities and practices in Ireland, a tally by one muslim tourist board.
    • It's not a poll of muslims, asking if they would visit Ireland or not.

It's not an attack on Ireland, and it's not even close to 'muslims asking us to change our ways'. I honestly doubt that muslims willing to travel somewhere are going to give a flying fucck whether the country is halal enough for them or not, and this article does not approach the views of actual muslims.

But no, sure our way of life is under attack now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

conorhal wrote: »
    Well you don't even want to know what I think about the Brits abroad that moan about not being able to get a decent warm pint of bitter and a feed of fish and chips while on holiday. When in Rome.... I eat pasta!

When in Dublin I eat pasta :)

I'll admit to one bit of cultural laziness. I'd been backpacking for about 4 months when I found a place in Bolivia that did a full proper Irish/English breakfast. they even imported sausages. I went back there every day for a week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Gas. The lobby of Tallaght IT has been taken over by promoters/preachers of Islam since Tuesday at least. From a massive blow up picture of Mecca to billboards and posters littering the walls with verses from the Qu'ran.

RWCNT wrote: »
    You know this because you've spoke to so many Muslims, yes?

The anti-Muzzy crowd on here are so easily annoyed.

Ironic considering the thread topic & accompanying article is a criticism of Irish society by "Muzzys".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

ohh boo f*cking hoo .... Where can I get a nice pork sandwich in Saudi Arabia ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'll admit to one bit of cultural laziness. I'd been backpacking for about 4 months when I found a place in Bolivia that did a full proper Irish/English breakfast. they even imported sausages. I went back there every day for a week :)

Any Guinness Pie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

the_monkey wrote: »
    ohh boo f*cking hoo .... Where can I get a nice pork sandwich in Saudi Arabia ?

I think you can buy them from the shop beside the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Ironic considering the thread topic & accompanying article is a criticism of Irish society by "Muzzys".

It's not though, did you read the article? Ireland was seen to be a less suitable holiday destination for Muslims compared to other places which were surveyed under the same criteria. They're not trying to make us feel bad, they're telling people where they might like to go on holiday.

Whats your first paragraph got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• It's just an overview of facilities and practices in Ireland, a tally by one muslim tourist board.
    • It's not a poll of muslims, asking if they would visit Ireland or not.
    Good point. I think the wording is wrong in the article.
    It's nothing to do with being "friendly" to muslims. It is about available facilities.

Which is not surprising at all since this is a Christian country and is very accommodating indeed to that particular religion, where as followers of Islam, Jewishness* and Buddism probably are not catered for at all.

*Can't think of the right word for this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I wonder just how European friendly Qatar is going to be for the 2020 World Cup. Now, I've no interest in football, but isn't binge drinking and general feckwittery by supporters messing around on the streets going to and from matches a big part of the experience? What genius decided to host it in a teetotal Muslim country that is notorious for it's lack of tolerance:confused:
    And shadow financiers of ISIS... apparently :eek:

Should be interesting all those infidels descending upon them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

They need to learn that in Ireland praying 5 times a year is a lot, never mind in a day.
    biko wrote: »
    I remember when the jews kicked up a stink because kosher was so hard to find.

Oh, wait - that have never happened.

Turns out they like they're magical meat as much as everyone else.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/denmark-bans-halal-and-kosher-slaughter-as-minister-says-animal-rights-come-before-religion-9135580.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Americans travel to distant countries, and those countries cater them serving McDonalds there --- it should be the same for Muslims...! :pac:

Isn't it that McDonald's is trying to colonise the world and impose a brand evrywhere just for profit?
    We have close to none American over here, we're not a tourists destination, yet we have plenty of McDonald's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Yeah I know what you mean, when in Rome I eat pasta, but when I'm drinking in Rome I head for the Irish pub near the train station, because Itallian bars are generally crap (I do love me some limoncello though, BTW never drink a 'pint' of it, you will loose your feckin' mind).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

biko wrote: »
    Good point. I think the wording is wrong in the article.
    It's nothing to do with being "friendly" to muslims. It is about available facilities.

Which is not surprising at all since this is a Christian country and is very accommodating indeed to that particular religion, where as followers of Islam, Jewishness* and Buddism probably are not catered for at all.

*Can't think of the right word for this

Judaism, I will admit I laughed hard though :D

That's it though. Quite a sneaky article, imo, being used by plenty to stir more ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

tradhead wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, but is halal not supposed to be a more humane method of slaughter, as the animal dies instantly? Blood flow to the brain is halted so that the animal can't feel pain; whereas with the traditional methods here, eg. using a bolt to stun cattle, the animal is paralysed but there is no way to tell if they can actually still feel pain.
    You tell me;
    The food must come from a supplier that uses halal practices. Specifically, the slaughter must be performed by a Muslim, who must precede the slaughter by invoking the name of Allah, most commonly by saying "Bismillah" ("In the name of God") and then three times "Allahu akbar" (God is the greatest). Then, the animal must be slaughtered with a sharp knife by cutting the throat, windpipe and the blood vessels in the neck, causing the animal's death without cutting the spinal cord. Lastly, the blood from the veins must be drained.

In any case, Muslims are permitted to eat non-halal meat provided that it's been prepared by a non-Muslim. So rating Ireland as being unsuitable for Muslims because of a lack of halal is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm Italian

Which basically just means, your an Irish person who has a very nice tan throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭keanosbeard

No, it is not a sneaky article designed to stir ****

It is a puff peice for an business called Crescent Rating.

Emailed to journalists who are too lazy to go out and hunt for a story themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Which basically just means, your an Irish person who has a very nice tan throughout the year.

I like this definition :D
    Would you like to explain why I am like an Irish? This is not the first time I hear this thing, I have been described like that before during my holidays :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

So Irish society isn't Islam friendly. Well at least we've done something right since independence.

Advertisement