Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is not friendly enough to Muslim tourists

Options
  • 05-03-2015 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

According to a survey, Ireland is the least Islam-friendly country, second only to Mexico.
    Muslims complain the lack of restaurant where they can have meals according their traditions and the lack of places for instant prayer.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-one-of-least-muslim-friendly-countries-report-1.2125955

I think that when one visits a different country they should adapt to the way of life of that country.
    I'm Italian and I travel to Ireland every year for my holidays, but I never complained for not finding enough restaurants that serve pasta and good wine, nor did I complain for not finding mixer taps in the bathrooms as often as here in Italy, or for the driving on the left-hand side of the roads.
    I think that when one is travelling for tourism is for knowing other cultures and traditions, not for exporting their habits to the country they are visitng.
    What is your opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Survey=results.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

Decent fish and chips are a nightmare to find in Saudi Arabia. Put me off going.

When travelling to another part of the world you expect different cultures and customs. It's one of the great parts of travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Well, it's it a pity about them.

I find Muslim countries not friendly enough to Western/female tourists. Where's my newspaper headline?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Oh great, something else we can feel guilty for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

If a Muslim feels there are a lack of restaurants to cater for the traditional Muslim diet then why doesn't a Muslim set up a restaurant here if they feel there's a market for it.

I think Irish people are very accommodating but we can't cater for every culture

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

That'll be bad for the tourism industry prophets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Well, it's it a pity about them.

I find Muslim countries not friendly enough to Western/female tourists. Where's my newspaper headline?
    Here you go.... Boards News
    kylith brands Muslim countries anti women :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

How many Muslim countries ban alcohol; therein, denying Irish people the very fabric of what makes up their culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It is most ironic that the In Place advert that appeared when I viewed this thread was as follows
    Falafel & Kebab

Visiting Dublin ,Looking for Halal Food,then visit us in Temple Bar .

You couldn't make it up ...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is there anything Muslims don't have a problem with.

• Advertisement

How many Muslim countries ban alcohol; therein, denying Irish people the very fabric of what makes up their culture.

It wasn't an attack on Ireland.
    A survey was taken and these are the results.Similar to Irish people finding Australia too hot I'd imagine..
    Basically more crap journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Quick, ban everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Its like a vegan giving a bad review to a steak house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

When there's signs in restaurant and shop windows saying you would be as welcome as dog on their premises, come back to us lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

circadian wrote: »
    Decent fish and chips are a nightmare to find in Saudi Arabia. Put me off going.

When travelling to another part of the world you expect different cultures and customs. It's one of the great parts of travelling.

Ah man... I'd fúcking love a fish & chips right now. with half a loaf of heavily buttered bread an a litre of milk to wash it down with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah man... I'd fúcking love a fish & chips right now. with half a loaf of heavily buttered bread an a litre of milk to wash it down with.

Breakfast of hungover champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I had a great drinking session in Mecca's tourist based irish pubs though. It would be nice to reciprocate.

We go out of our way to cater for tourists of all sorts .Why not Muslims,huge demographic.

We're definitely missing a trick here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

kneemos wrote: »
    We go out of our way to cater for tourists of all sorts .Why not Muslims,huge demographic.

We're definitely missing a trick here.
    We don't go out of our way to cater for tourists of all sorts. We go out of our way to cater for what we think will make the most money. If there's more money to be made in halal restaurants, then you can be sure more will start appearing.
    Places that exist to suit the American tourists for example aren't there because we want them to feel happy while they're here, they exist because we want their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Yeah cool no problem we can fix all that for you... just have my pork and beer ready for next time I visit Saudi!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

According to a survey, Ireland is the least Islam-friendly country, second only to Mexico.
    Muslims complain the lack of restaurant where they can have meals according their traditions and the lack of places for instant prayer.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-one-of-least-muslim-friendly-countries-report-1.2125955

I think that when one visits a different country they should adapt to the way of life of that country.
    I'm Italian and I travel to Ireland every year for my holidays, but I never complained for not finding enough restaurants that serve pasta and good wine, nor did I complain for not finding mixer taps in the bathrooms as often as here in Italy, or for the driving on the left-hand side of the roads.
    I think that when one is travelling for tourism is for knowing other cultures and traditions, not for exporting their habits to the country they are visitng.
    What is your opinion?

And yet the most popular holiday destination for people in the UK & Ireland is the south of spain. Which is about as spanish as Eastenders.

I can understand the Halal thing. It's the same for jewish people. Anyone who's been backpacking in South America will tell you that the number of kosher restaurant is silly. They're everywhere. You end up in some backend village and there's a restaurant with Kosher written on the door.

So many Israeli backpackers head to South America after they finish their military service that all the locals have begun to accommodate them. That made it even more Israeli friendly and that means even more go there. There's Israeli tour groups, Israeli hostels, Israeli everything really.

There's a subsection of very religious ones who carry pots everywhere. They do this because according to the strictest kosher rules they need to use separate pots for separate food stuffs. And you can't mix the pots up. But there are still special hostels where they can buy kosher meat etc and are provided with Kosher kitchens to prepare the food in. It's entirely possible for an Israeli to go to most of South America and never have to interact with a non-Israeli.

This isn't having a go at Israeli's/jews. It's just to point out that muslims are not the only group like that. Irish/English people go to Spain where they get an experience exactly like home except sunnier. Israeli's/Jews will go where they find the locals accommodate them. Muslims will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

There are many halal outlets from fast food to fine dining, not to mention a number of dedicated halal convenience stores dedicated to serving Ireland’s growing Muslim community.Most of Ireland’s top hotels will provide quality halal menus upon advance request. Some of those hotels include: http://www.ireland.com/en-ar/campaign/feature-campaign/halal-food-in-ireland/

Also here's another list of Halal place http://www.zabihah.com/reg/jKEZPl3SOm
    That's just a quick search, there's probably more

Aren't "subway" and all those halal now aswell?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Muslims quick to point out our failings but happily ignore all our dog friendly hotels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

jank wrote: »
    Oh great, something else we can feel guilty for.

I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Grayson wrote: »
    And yet the most popular holiday destination for people in the UK & Ireland is the south of spain.
    Says who?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What is your opinion?

Fúck them - How easy do you reckon it is to get a few scoops and a battered sausage on the way home in Saudi Arabia?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

drumswan wrote: »
    Says who?

Me.

If you want we can include Portugal, The Canaries, Greek islands, Cyprus and Turkey.

Even though cities like London, New York etc... are popular destinations the most popular vacation type destinations are all sunny and about as cultural as a plate of fish and chips. And you can be as pedantic as you want but you can't deny that those locations have a very large mass appeal in Ireland/UK.

And no, I'm not saying everyone goes there. Loads of people like to back pack or go on city breaks etc... And there are probably loads of muslims like that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

lol just lol
    double standards overload

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

yea, when i read this "news" i thought what a bunch of bs lol
    have many muslim friends and they have no probs at all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

:D
    Grayson wrote: »
    Me.

If you want we can include Portugal, The Canaries, Greek islands, Cyprus and Turkey.

Even though cities like London, New York etc... are popular destinations the most popular vacation type destinations are all sunny and about as cultural as a plate of fish and chips. And you can be as pedantic as you want but you can't deny that those locations have a very large mass appeal in Ireland/UK.

And no, I'm not saying everyone goes there. Loads of people like to back pack or go on city breaks etc... And there are probably loads of muslims like that too.

Sometimes it's nice to go experience new things and new cultures, see the sites expand your horizons and see how other people do things, and sometimes it's nice to just drink beer in the sunshine while semi naked women walk past.

Advertisement