Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is not friendly enough to Muslim tourists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

RWCNT wrote: »
    "Friendly" isn't referring to how we treat them or what we allow or don't allow them to do. Nobody is complaining about anything. It's just a survey showing the best places to find the things Muslims supposedly look for on holiday, such as halal restaurants and mosques/prayer rooms. We apparently don't have as many as other places so we're down on the list, I don't think any Muslims are trying to guilt-trip us for it. I think it's lazy journalism to get people squabbling, I doubt white guilt has any place in it.

Not the best comparison, catholics usually don't have strict dietary rules for food consumption based on their religion, it's not the same as simply wanting food from home. I'd see nothing wrong with someone wanting to know if there was somewhere near where they were staying to get their pray on, should they be so inclined.

Why travel abroad if your main concern is how barbarically your meat was slaughtered or if there is a "prayer room" nearby ? The IT seems to be telling us we should be ashamed for some bizarre reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Why travel abroad if your main concern is how barbarically your meat was slaughtered or if there is a "prayer room" nearby ? The IT seems to be telling us we should be ashamed for some bizarre reason.

Same reason as anybody else I suppose, go look at some sights, relax in some different surroundings etc. You know, holiday stuff. People like to go on holidays, Muslims are no different but they have certain needs which will be catered to in some places better than others. Hence why a list like this might be handy for them.

The article is very short and contains no emotional language or even direct criticism of Ireland. I don't think it's trying to make you feel bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Same reason as anybody else I suppose, go look at some sights, relax in some different surroundings etc. You know, holiday stuff. People like to go on holidays, Muslims are no different but they have certain needs which will be catered to in some places better than others. Hence why a list like this might be handy for them.

The article is very short and contains no emotional language or even direct criticism of Ireland. I don't think it's trying to make you feel bad.

It doesn't.

OldRio wrote: »
    It doesn't.

Well done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

How many more times do you think this statement will get recycled in this thread?

Over 20 is a possibility. I've never taken the time to average its appearance per number of posts, so I can't predict with certianity. I'm thus going on the appearance of "go back to Saudi Arabia" posts in threads with a muslim theme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Well done?

Medium please...and eh... stun bolt first, if you don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well done?

Prefer medium to rare myself. But thanks for asking.

topper75 wrote: »
    Medium please...and eh... stun bolt first, if you don't mind.
    OldRio wrote: »
    Prefer medium to rare myself. But thanks for asking.

Anyone eating their steak cooked over straight up rare should defo be stun-bolted.

Gwan OldRio, what was the purpose of your original response to my statement to Hans Bricks anyway? You got beef with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Sanctimonious Irish Times drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Nodin wrote: »
    Over 20 is a possibility. I've never taken the time to average its appearance per number of posts, so I can't predict with certianity. I'm thus going on the appearance of "go back to Saudi Arabia" posts in threads with a muslim theme.

What an aggravating comment to make.

To imply that saying Islamic states like Iran and Saudi Arabia are not all that welcoming of other cultures is like saying "go back to Saudi Arabia".

The two are leagues apart.

To condemn someone for saying the latter is understandable. To condemn the former, is just politically correct nonsense.

To equate the two is farcical.

• Advertisement

What an aggravating comment to make.

To imply that saying Islamic states like Iran and Saudi Arabia are not all that welcoming of other cultures is like saying "go back to Saudi Arabia".

The two are leagues apart.

To condemn someone for saying the latter is understandable. To condemn the former, is just politically correct nonsense.

To equate the two is farcical.

Try reading the post again, this time concentrating on whats there rather than what you're reading into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Defender OF Faith

I think the measured factors are not weighted correctly. yeah sure Ireland certainly doesn't have alot of halal outlets. Sure its an important factor for tourists and as a Muslim it's difficult when you go on holiday and there is no local halal restaurants to try out local foods that's part of the travelling experience.

As for prayer rooms sure it would be nice to have available places to pray come prayer time but hey, we Muslims adapt. That bearded guy you saw in the park doing some moves that you thought was Taichi or something, he was praying actually!

But by no means this makes Ireland one of least Muslim-friendly countries. I would argue the opposite, Ireland has one of the most favorable relationship with the Muslim community here, compared to other Western countries.

But considering it from a business perspective yes Ireland should attempt to do more to accommodate Muslim tourists, which is a rapid growing sector of the tourism industry worth €130billion, which accounts for 10% of world travel expenditure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Good. Don't encourage them to come here, bringing their beautiful women and then covering them up so nobody can see them!

What is the point? Is it that the women are just some piece of property owned by the men or that they think men have no restraint and will go mental if they see a woman? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Rezident wrote: »
    Good. Don't encourage them to come here, bringing their beautiful women and then covering them up so nobody can see them!

What is the point? Is it that the women are just some piece of property owned by the men or that they think men have no restraint and will go mental if they see a woman? :confused:

In fairness the headscarf is a lot more commonplace than the burkha

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

In fairness the headscarf is a lot more commonplace than the burkha

Fact, auld ones in Ireland have had the head scarf licked for years

todders wrote: »
    Fact, auld ones in Ireland have had the head scarf licked for years

And in the 1960's all the wimminz wore it apparently, which is hard to imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Lack of Prayer Rooms in hotels?

What's wrong with your actual hotel room?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I think that when one visits a different country they should adapt to the way of life of that country.

no, they should be catered to as much as possible within the law
    I'm Italian and I travel to Ireland every year for my holidays, but I never complained for not finding enough restaurants that serve pasta and good wine, nor did I complain for not finding mixer taps in the bathrooms as often as here in Italy, or for the driving on the left-hand side of the roads.

so? thats your choice, the same as its other peoples choice to complain. that is the beauty of living in a free democratic country
    I think that when one is travelling for tourism is for knowing other cultures and traditions, not for exporting their habits to the country they are visitng.

nobody is "exporting" any habits

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's very hard to get a rasher sandwich in Mecca.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

Why Muslim are so unhappy

Everyone seems to be wondering why Muslims are so
    unhappy.

Lets have a look at the evidence:
    - No
    Christmas
    - No television
    - No nude women
    - No football
    - No
    pork chops
    - No hot dogs
    - No burgers
    - No beer
    - No bacon
    -
    Rags for clothes
    - Towels for hats
    - Constant wailing from some idiot
    in a tower
    - More than one wife
    More than one mother in law
    -
    You can't shave
    - Your wife can't shave
    - You can't wash off the smell
    of donkey
    - You cook over burning camel sh*t
    - Your wife is
    picked by someone else for you
    - and your wife smells worse than your donkey

Then they tell you that "when you die, it all gets better"??
    Well no
    sh*t Sherlock!....
    It's not like it could get much worse
    THE MUSLIMS
    ARE NOT HAPPY!

They're not happy in Gaza ..
    They're not
    happy in Egypt ..
    They're not happy in Libya ..
    They're not happy in
    Morocco ..
    They're not happy in Iran ..
    They're not happy in Iraq
    They're not happy in Yemen ..
    They're not happy in Afghanistan
    They're not happy in Pakistan ..
    They're not happy in Syria
    They're not happy in Lebanon ..

SO, WHERE ARE THEY
    HAPPY?

They're happy in Australia
    They're happy in Ireland....
    They're happy in Canada ....
    They're happy in England ...
    They're
    happy in France .....
    They're happy in Italy ..
    They're happy in Germany
    They're happy in Sweden ..
    They're happy in the USA .....
    They're
    happy in Norway ..
    They're happy in Holland ....
    They're happy in Denmark

Basically, they're happy in
    every country that is not Muslim
    and unhappy in every country that
    is!

AND WHO DO THEY
    BLAME?

Not Islam.
    Not their
    leadership.
    Not themselves.

THEY BLAME THE COUNTRIES THEY
    ARE HAPPY IN!

AND THEN; They want to change
    those countries to be like....
    THE COUNTRY THEY CAME FROM WHERE THEY WERE
    UNHAPPY!

Excuse me, but I can't help
    wondering...
    How damn dumb can you get?

MOD: Best take some time off to sort out your issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Some years ago I went with a group of people to a Muslim run restaurant in Brussels where we had been before. We ordered our food and after a long wait we realised that they were serving other tables who had arrived after us. We asked the waiter what was up and he said "it's Ramadan these people have been fasting all day so we serve them first, you don't mind waiting".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

The Irish Times seems to be steadily stooping in the "rag" direction.

Although, while I know this article is just framed to make it look like muslims are bitching about the Irish (when it's actually a case of them being asked questions and giving their answers) there is no point in increased services like prayer-rooms and food outlets for muslims that are only visiting, and whose population that lives here does not make up sufficient numbers.
    Plus, as said, "When in Rome"... We don't get pandered to when visiting muslim countries.

Mech1 wrote: »

wondering...

I was wondering exactly the same thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mech1 wrote: »

Everyone seems to be wondering why Muslims are so
    unhappy.

Lets have a look at the evidence:
    - No
    Christmas
    - No television
    - No nude women
    - No football
    - No
    pork chops
    - No hot dogs
    - No burgers
    - No beer
    - No bacon
    -
    Rags for clothes
    - Towels for hats
    - Constant wailing from some idiot
    in a tower
    - More than one wife
    More than one mother in law
    -
    You can't shave
    - Your wife can't shave
    - You can't wash off the smell
    of donkey
    - You cook over burning camel sh*t
    - Your wife is
    picked by someone else for you
    - and your wife smells worse than your donkey

Then they tell you that "when you die, it all gets better"??
    Well no
    sh*t Sherlock!....
    It's not like it could get much worse
    THE MUSLIMS
    ARE NOT HAPPY!

They're not happy in Gaza ..
    They're not
    happy in Egypt ..
    They're not happy in Libya ..
    They're not happy in
    Morocco ..
    They're not happy in Iran ..
    They're not happy in Iraq
    They're not happy in Yemen ..
    They're not happy in Afghanistan
    They're not happy in Pakistan ..
    They're not happy in Syria
    They're not happy in Lebanon ..

SO, WHERE ARE THEY
    HAPPY?

They're happy in Australia
    They're happy in Ireland....
    They're happy in Canada ....
    They're happy in England ...
    They're
    happy in France .....
    They're happy in Italy ..
    They're happy in Germany
    They're happy in Sweden ..
    They're happy in the USA .....
    They're
    happy in Norway ..
    They're happy in Holland ....
    They're happy in Denmark

Basically, they're happy in
    every country that is not Muslim
    and unhappy in every country that
    is!

AND WHO DO THEY
    BLAME?

Not Islam.
    Not their
    leadership.
    Not themselves.

THEY BLAME THE COUNTRIES THEY
    ARE HAPPY IN!

AND THEN; They want to change
    those countries to be like....
    THE COUNTRY THEY CAME FROM WHERE THEY WERE
    UNHAPPY!

wondering...

Broke my side laughing at this on the bus.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Pretty sad bunch if they can't adapt to our nations traditions while they're on a jolly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Another thing I notice is all the pandering to the EXTREMIST FASCIST types hiding behind Islam. Since their countries don't accommodate other cultures, why should we embrace their racist, bigot warped version of Islam. A look at some of the fascist countries that use and abuse Islam (plus their attitudes to tourists):

Saudi Arabia: With its massive rich/poor divide. Basically, the rich are the royal family and their cronies and the poor is everyone else. The regime is 100% fascist absolute monarchy. A cross between 1940-45 Japan and the Taliban with a bit of Hitler. Top funder of terrorism, top exporter of Fascism masquerading as Islam. Very hard to get a proper tourist Visa to go there. All is orientated around religious trips and they use Mecca and Medina as a cash cow. All we hear bad about Islam originates from the Wahabi cult that formed in this stone age kingdom. All the other badly lead countries took their cue from this place and it remains the worst and most corrupt dictatorship in the Islamic world today bar terrorist lead ISIS et al territories.

Iran: Have been and cannot understand why ordinary Muslims are so poor. The Christians have much more rights and seem richer and happier. They can legally drink and often supply the Revolutionary Guards regime with alcohol to sell to the Muslims at exhorbatent prices. Iran has a massive drink and drugs problem and has been poorly lead since 1979 though it now has a decent president but still has a lot of unelected leaders. Like Saudi, it has a huge rich/poor ruling class/people divide and Islam again is dressed up as a Fascist tool to beat the people with. The rich seem to be able to get away with anything, the poor not so much. Treats tourists better than Saudi does and has a future and at least there is a reform movement that hopefully can achieve a complete erradication of fascists from Iran's politics.

Afghanistan: Yes, the Taliban are long gone from the central government but this country remains run by corrupt and poor central government and operates via deals with warlords. Barbaric Saudi-inspired Wahabism has not changed since the fall of the Taliban and the Taliban still control some areas and other likeminded fascists the other areas outside of Kabul. Its official title has changed from 'Islamic Emirate' to 'Islamic Republic' (the distinction being the former is an ultra violent repressive state and the later a violent repressive state! Just toned down slightly).

Just 3 examples. The middle one has a future and is decent compared to the other two but all have a long long way to go. I could also mention Sudan, Somalia, Syria, Pakistan, Mauritania, Libya, Niger and Mali as other examples of states where 'Islamic' fascism has ruined things. Though many of these are hardly tourist hotspots even at the best of times, they are certainly not ever going to be in the near to medium future at least either.

Baby Jane wrote: »
    The Irish Times seems to be steadily stooping in the "rag" direction.

Although, while I know this article is just framed to make it look like muslims are bitching about the Irish (when it's actually a case of them being asked questions and giving their answers) there is no point in increased services like prayer-rooms and food outlets for muslims that are only visiting, and whose population that lives here does not make up sufficient numbers.
    Plus, as said, "When in Rome"... We don't get pandered to when visiting muslim countries.
    tripe. the when in rome statement is invalid, as it is saying that because countries don't operate to being free and democratic like ourselves we should bully those from those countries who come here into having such unfree democratic nonsense put upon them. if your of the when in rome opinion you condone the laws in these countries and will be willing to live under such rules yourself. or, free and democratic should be just that.

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Pretty sad bunch if they can't adapt to our nations traditions while they're on a jolly!
    why would they want to adapt to our nations traditions. anyway what "traditions" would they be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ireland doesn't seem to be too much out of step with other "non Muslim" countries. Not surprisingly countries like Pakistan get a much higher rating.

I imagine that if there was a Catholic company like this (maybe there is) the Vatican would get a good rating whereas Saudia Arabia might get a lower rating. Similarly for a Hindu company India would rate well but Pakistan probably wouldn't.

http://gmti.crescentrating.com/mastercard-crescentrating-global-muslim-travel-index-2015-gmti2015.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

In response to the post addressing me above, telling me I condone oppressive laws (wtf?! :D) - I have no issue with muslim people who live here practising their own customs (not hardline customs that hurt others like FGM but not all muslims are sharia) including wearing of the burqua.
    I just mean we shouldn't have to pander unnecessarily (e.g. more prayer-rooms and halal goods outlets when they won't be used most of the year) in the same way there isn't pandering to us when we go abroad if it's unnecessary.

Advertisement