Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is not friendly enough to Muslim tourists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Grayson wrote: »
    Even though cities like London, New York etc... are popular destinations
    Yeah, far more popular than the south of Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Places that exist to suit the American tourists for example aren't there because we want them to feel happy while they're here, they exist because we want their money.

And, we have to exaggerate our 'Irishness' to appeal to them. Leprechaun museums and the like. Not just with Americans, tourists from all nations come here and try and take in what we have to offer. Muslims stick out like a sore thumb as not giving two fcuks about the culture they are in. They seem to want the world to change in order to accommodate them, in almost every single aspect. Not that I think bringing your own culture and traditions to another country is a bad thing, the Irish did it for centuries but the two things should not be mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

:D

Sometimes it's nice to go experience new things and new cultures, see the sites expand your horizons and see how other people do things, and sometimes it's nice to just drink beer in the sunshine while semi naked women walk past.

I've been on one package holidays. I do prefer to head to a city or something for a few days. The package holiday was a last minute deal with a friend who needed to get away. It was nice but a bit dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

According to a survey, Ireland is the least Islam-friendly country, second only to Mexico.
    Muslims complain the lack of restaurant where they can have meals according their traditions and the lack of places for instant prayer.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-one-of-least-muslim-friendly-countries-report-1.2125955

I think that when one visits a different country they should adapt to the way of life of that country.
    I'm Italian and I travel to Ireland every year for my holidays, but I never complained for not finding enough restaurants that serve pasta and good wine, nor did I complain for not finding mixer taps in the bathrooms as often as here in Italy, or for the driving on the left-hand side of the roads.
    I think that when one is travelling for tourism is for knowing other cultures and traditions, not for exporting their habits to the country they are visitng.
    What is your opinion?

For me this is the most serious issue you raise. I can't understand why Ireland has separate cold & hot taps in this day and age. Washing your hands means either blisters or frostbite.
    That said in other countries I have found that public bathrooms only offer cold water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

murpho999 wrote: »
    For me this is the most serious issue you raise. I can't understand why Ireland has separate cold & hot taps in this day and age. Washing your hands means either blisters or frostbite.
    There is usually a sink under the taps there. You can mix water in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

drumswan wrote: »
    Yeah, far more popular than the south of Spain.

say who?

I googled like mad and couldn't find anything for the most popular destinations for Irish people. I found something about the most popular cities but that's a bit different. Most sun holidays wouldn't qualify to be on a city list.
    When I checked for UK people (despite our protestations they are very similar in their tastes) I found the the US was first on the list. But that included stuff like disneyland and florida sun holidays. The next 4 countries on the list were all sun holiday destinations.

now, be pedantic all you want, but like I said before you can't deny that the Costa del Sol type destinations are hugely popular here.

Aren't they happy that Subway are serving Halal? I have absolutely no idea why they'd visit Ireland anyway if it's so incompatible.. I mean seriously, can they not just go places that accommodate them.

drumswan wrote: »
    There is usually a sink under the taps there. You can mix water in it.

Sorry but in most bathrooms (public ones) there is no stopper.

Who washes their hands that way after using the toilet anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Sorry but in most bathrooms (public ones) there is no stopper.

Who washes their hands that way after using the toilet anyway?

I'd have more of a problem with the fact that the hand dryers never work.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MuchoLoco

I drove by a person wearing a Burqa and a set of sunglasses yeserday is this Legal here in Ireland ??

• Advertisement

I'd have more of a problem with the fact that the hand dryers never work.

That's what the backs of jeans were invented for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

MuchoLoco wrote: »
    I drove by a person wearing a Burqa and a set of sunglasses yeserday is this Legal here in Ireland ??

no, you should have stopped and offered them a lift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Sunglasses in March certainly is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

That's what the backs of jeans were invented for.

I can't do that, its against my religious beliefs. how dare you be so racist. :pac:

As far as I know there are no legal issues with you wearing a Burqa and sunglasses whilst driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If anything we should be making moves to outlaw halal and kosher meats, not moving to make them more freely available. They're barbaric and unnecessary.

There's plenty of food available in Ireland that's halal and kosher friendly. Just avoid the meat and you won't offend your god.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MuchoLoco

no, you should have stopped and offered them a lift

Sorry I didn't explain myself to well the other person was driving a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That said in other countries I have found that public bathrooms only offer cold water!

In some places it's because the system for cold water would have been installed before there was the capacity for heated water, so the hot tap was just added on.

A lot of places also don't have a hot tap to stop people from wasting it by not turning the tap off properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

They must not be looking too hard :rolleyes:

http://www.zabihah.com/sub/Ireland/Dublin/oDNvTGGpK8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Only if she was wearing a pair of luminous Nike trainers under it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Not that I think bringing your own culture and traditions to another country is a bad thing, the Irish did it for centuries but the two things should not be mutually exclusive.

Probably you Irish did it without making the others feel guilty or shame for not meeting your traditions.
    And I'm sure that no violence was involved.

Ballyhaunis Ireland’s most ‘cosmopolitan’ town

It’s the only town in the county to have a mosque and there have been scores of Muslims living in Ballyhaunis for decades, initially brought about by the opening of the Halal meat-processing plant in the town in the early 1980s.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16272:ballyhaunis-irelands-most-cosmopolitan-town&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Boo fecking hoo. I'm tired of every newspaper headline these days being about something Islamic. We're not friendly enough? We're plenty friendly, it's just muslims don't know how to have any craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

As far as I know there are no legal issues with you wearing a Burqa and sunglasses whilst driving.

There is if you are in Saudi ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Couldn't care less what Muslims think. They whine about everything and expect you to change your ways to accommodate them. If they don't like it, then tough. Go somewhere else, the world is big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

seamus wrote: »
    If anything we should be making moves to outlaw halal and kosher meats, not moving to make them more freely available. They're barbaric and unnecessary.

I remember when the jews kicked up a stink because kosher was so hard to find.

Oh, wait - that have never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

seamus wrote: »

There's plenty of food available in Ireland that's halal and kosher friendly. Just avoid the meat and you won't offend your god.

Pardon my ignorance, but is halal not supposed to be a more humane method of slaughter, as the animal dies instantly? Blood flow to the brain is halted so that the animal can't feel pain; whereas with the traditional methods here, eg. using a bolt to stun cattle, the animal is paralysed but there is no way to tell if they can actually still feel pain.

Even if it's not more humane, I can't see how it's any more barbaric than the conventional methods of killing animals. It's not very pleasant in any way, shape or form.

(For the record, I grew up on a farm and couldn't be further from vegetarian- I'm just curious as to why our method is seen to be better than the others).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'd say this is largely about perception from afar too.

I can think of plenty of countries that are much less Muslim friendly than Ireland and that have actually anti-muslim atmospheres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Couldn't care less what Muslims think. They whine about everything and expect you to change your ways to accommodate them. If they don't like it, then tough. Go somewhere else, the world is big enough.

You know this because you've spoke to so many Muslims, yes?

The anti-Muzzy crowd on here are so easily annoyed.

• Advertisement

Halal slaughtering has to be done by People of the book

How do the slaughterhouses know the people they are hiring are people of the book? Do they ask them in the interview? Discrimination case right there for any interested atheists.

Advertisement