Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is not friendly enough to Muslim tourists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Americans travel to distant countries, and those countries cater them serving McDonalds there --- it should be the same for Muslims...! :pac:

McMuslims?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

conorhal wrote: »
    Yeah I know what you mean, when in Rome I eat pasta, but when I'm drinking in Rome I head for the Irish pub near the train station, because Itallian bars are generally crap (I do love me some limoncello though, BTW never drink a 'pint' of it, you will loose your feckin' mind).

I couldn't find many Italian bars in Rome. Irish ones were fecking everywhere.

Then again when I was living in Spain my local was an Irish bar. Everyone who worked and drank there was Spanish. The only thing that made it Irish was the bad Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Why would you cater for a very small minority of people ? Creating a disproportionate response for a none problem, There are halal/kosher here. Just not many as not many are needed. but again Faux outrage and immediate jumping on high horse. :rolleyes:

Why would you cater for a very small minority of people ? Creating a disproportionate response for a none problem, There are halal/kosher here. Just not many as not many are needed. but again Faux outrage and immediate jumping on high horse. :rolleyes:

There is about a billion of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Grayson wrote: »
    Muslims would be in the minority of tourists that would come here.

Where ? Here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I couldn't find many Italian bars in Rome. Irish ones were fecking everywhere.

Then again when I was living in Spain my local was an Irish bar. Everyone who worked and drank there was Spanish. The only thing that made it Irish was the bad Guinness.

That's because they're small, pokey and cunningly disguised a cafes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The survey basically says we don't have too many facilities for tourists we weren't really expecting to come here. Typically the media have reported it as Ireland being unfriendly, which is the usual antagonizing stance of the press. They've turned a simple piece of information into a flame war that neither side asked for.

It's not surprising we don't have too many Muslim restaurant or places for prayer, it wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of Muslims that decide to visit Ireland are fully aware of that fact. But the press have put this in a way that sounds like Muslims are giving out about Irish people which isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I have been to several countries where the majority are muslim. It was recommended that I dress accordingly and not get drunk and boisterous. Therefore those countries are not very Irish friendly. I think they need to look up the definition of friendly. Friendly does not mean emulating every belief you have because you believe it.

• Advertisement

Anyway I'm out this is fast turning into "DeMuzlims" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There is nobody dragging them kicking and screaming inti this lovely little country, if they don't like it then either adapt to current Irish culture just like thousands of visitors turned residents, or leave!

ScumLord wrote: »
    The survey basically says we don't have too many facilities for tourists we weren't really expecting to come here. Typically the media have reported it as Ireland being unfriendly, which is the usual antagonizing stance of the press. They've turned a simple piece of information into a flame war that neither side asked for.

It's not surprising we don't have too many Muslim restaurant or places for prayer, it wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of Muslims that decide to visit Ireland are fully aware of that fact. But the press have put this in a way that sounds like Muslims are giving out about Irish people which isn't the case.

That's because newspapers have evolved into clickbait articles to feed the modern publics addiction to outrage that manages to make us all the more intellectually poor by our 5th estate's indulgence in it.
    I simply stopped buying 'newspapers' about 5 years ago. Though I'd never have even wiped my arse with the Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

As a pagan I find Irish people's enthuaism for Christmas and Halloween both at times heart warming and equally infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Established for a bit but still we have replies like this one
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    There is nobody dragging them kicking and screaming inti this lovely little country, if they don't like it then either adapt to current Irish culture just like thousands of visitors turned residents, or leave!

and probably more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

According to a survey, Ireland is the least Islam-friendly country, second only to Mexico.
    Muslims complain the lack of restaurant where they can have meals according their traditions and the lack of places for instant prayer.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-one-of-least-muslim-friendly-countries-report-1.2125955

I think that when one visits a different country they should adapt to the way of life of that country.
    I'm Italian and I travel to Ireland every year for my holidays, but I never complained for not finding enough restaurants that serve pasta and good wine, nor did I complain for not finding mixer taps in the bathrooms as often as here in Italy, or for the driving on the left-hand side of the roads.
    I think that when one is travelling for tourism is for knowing other cultures and traditions, not for exporting their habits to the country they are visitng.
    What is your opinion?

Ok what is Mexico doing that we aren't ?
    We need to know.
    kneemos wrote: »
    It wasn't an attack on Ireland.

Very true we all know when they make an actual attack. ;)
    So many Israeli backpackers head to South America after they finish their military service that all the locals have begun to accommodate them. That made it even more Israeli friendly and that means even more go there. There's Israeli tour groups, Israeli hostels, Israeli everything really.

There's a subsection of very religious ones who carry pots everywhere. They do this because according to the strictest kosher rules they need to use separate pots for separate food stuffs. And you can't mix the pots up. But there are still special hostels where they can buy kosher meat etc and are provided with Kosher kitchens to prepare the food in. It's entirely possible for an Israeli to go to most of South America and never have to interact with a non-Israeli.

This isn't having a go at Israeli's/jews. It's just to point out that muslims are not the only group like that. Irish/English people go to Spain where they get an experience exactly like home except sunnier. Israeli's/Jews will go where they find the locals accommodate them. Muslims will too.

Well it couldn't be a Muslim thread without someone dragging in the Jews.
    MuchoLoco wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't explain myself to well the other person was driving a car.

It wasn't a British reg Honda Civic by any chance ?
    BTW I reckon they have shag all peripheral vision because one of them failed to see me and turned out into my path.

BTW what would a true halal Muslim restaurant be like ?
    Might set one up if there is a demand.
    I presume it would be along the following lines ...
    No women staff.
    No music.
    No booze.
    No pictures of anything religious.
    No pets or guidedogs.
    A room for praying just for the occassions where it is that time of the day.
    A room in the back for women guests.
    A place to leave the ould backbacks while you eat.

conorhal wrote: »
    I simply stopped buying 'newspapers' about 5 years ago.
    Same as that, whenever I pick up a paper somewhere it's clearly sensationalised bolloxology, I don't understand how people can pay for it.

I think people are just accustomed to the way the media operate. If you stop reading papers and detox you brain of their nonsense then go back and look at a paper a year alter you'll see them for the **** stirrers they are. Their a curse on modern society at this stage. They're in their death throes now though. They think being more and more sensational will stop the mass exodus of readers not realising it's the sensationalism that's turning people away.

Where ? Here ?

No, in the UK according to UKIP ;)

there's a billion worldwide

I know what you're getting at but to be fair all tourists are minorities in Ireland. It's just that our tourists industries are more reactive that proactive. Most of our stuff that we developed was to get more from existing tourists rather than get others to come.

And one billion is a very large potential market to tap into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

America's more muslim-friendly than Ireland?
    I guess they've never encountered the TSA while wearing full traditional costume, or tried to find Halal meat in rural Alabama then

I have a feeling this survey's more about business visitors and perceptions than anything else.

I don't get the impression that Ireland's particularly unfriendly towards muslims. I don't think it's any less geared up to catering for them than any other small EU country. I mean, what Islamic facilities would you find in rural Scotland, Northern Norway, Iceland etc?

I have a sense this survey isn't really worth much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

jmayo wrote: »
    Ok what is Mexico doing that we aren't ?
    We need to know.

Ask the person who wrote the article ;)
    BTW what would a true halal Muslim restaurant be like ?
    No pictures of anything religious.

No pictures of anybody, religious or not. They ban every representation of a human being, be it a picture or a statue.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It's a good heads up for any Muslim businesses in Ireland, get your name out there and make sure Muslims tourists know you're there and you'll be raking it in because you've got no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭true567

SpaceTime wrote: »
    America's more muslim-friendly than Ireland?
    I guess they've never encountered the TSA while wearing full traditional costume, or tried to find Halal meat in rural Alabama then

I have a feeling this survey's more about business visitors and perceptions than anything else.

I don't get the impression that Ireland's particularly unfriendly towards muslims. I don't think it's any less geared up to catering for them than any other small EU country. I mean, what Islamic facilities would you find in rural Scotland, Northern Norway, Iceland etc?

Yes because many Muslims go to rural Alabama when visiting the U.S., use your brain. Its always the dumbest analogies, comparisons, or hypotheticals that are brought up- how many places offer Halal meat in Leitrim? A small area of a nation does not make or break an entire nation. But yet that is essentially what you just said. LOL.

Perhaps, a better framework to look at NYC, or L.A. versus Dublin?

And the point of being a tourist is to explore the culture you are visiting anyway. Hack journalism.

No, in the UK according to UKIP ;)

there's a billion worldwide
    And one billion is a very large potential market to tap into.

And a fair few of them live in war torn Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya ...

Sometimes some markets just aren't worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ask the person who wrote the article ;)

No pictures of anybody, religious or not. They ban every representation of a human being, be it a picture or a statue.

Unless they're Shiah.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Finding a missing person in a Muslim country must be nigh-on impossible.

Same as that, whenever I pick up a paper somewhere it's clearly sensationalised bolloxology, I don't understand how people can pay for it.

I think people are just accustomed to the way the media operate. If you stop reading papers and detox you brain of their nonsense then go back and look at a paper a year alter you'll see them for the **** stirrers they are. Their a curse on modern society at this stage. They're in their death throes now though. They think being more and more sensational will stop the mass exodus of readers not realising it's the sensationalism that's turning people away.

What's worrying is that the on-line media sources (which the print media are desperate to emulate) replacing them are worse. The current most popular being thejournal.ie, which is a sewer.

true567 wrote: »
    Yes because many Muslims go to rural Alabama when visiting the U.S., use your brain. Its always the dumbest analogies, comparisons, or hypotheticals that are brought up- how many places offer Halal meat in Leitrim? A small area of a nation does not make or break an entire nation. But yet that is essentially what you just said. LOL.

Perhaps, a better framework to look at NYC, or L.A. versus Dublin?

And the point of being a tourist is to explore the culture you are visiting anyway. Hack journalism.

Actually you might have a better chance of getting halal meat in Leitrim than in most of the counties you would deem above it.
    You do know that the first purpose-built Mosque in Ireland was built in Ballyhaunis, Mayo in 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In fairness, we are a small rural country/island, mainly christian. Outside of the main urban areas, I wouldn't expect much catering for multiculturalism, other than multifaith prayer rooms in hospitals, or takeaways serving halal. Yes some religious or ethnic groups have set up commuties, ie, there is a local group in Sligo, set up by the Indian community, where they get together to celebrate indian holidays/festivals, as well as birthdays, christianings, and aniversaries. I only know this as i work with a couple of them, am sure there would be similar groups around the country/island. Not sure if there are groups based on religion, but would assume if you wanted to find one, you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Does anyone care if Ireland is friendly to Jewish tourists or is it just delicate easily offended Muslims we're supposed to care about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

iDave wrote: »
    Does anyone care if Ireland is friendly to Jewish tourists or is it just delicate easily offended Muslims we're supposed to care about?

Apparently.

Advertisement