Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is not friendly enough to Muslim tourists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

jmayo wrote: »
    Well it couldn't be a Muslim thread without someone dragging in the Jews.

I was just mentioning a religious group that have special requirements. And they go to places that meet those requirements. They're no more or less demanding than your average Muslim.
    And a fair few of them live in war torn Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya ...

Sometimes some markets just aren't worth it.

a fair few non Muslims live in hell holes. We still cater for them. Besides, if only 0.0001% of Muslims came here it's a huge boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Ah sure, they can have a pint in Panti bar followed by a pig in a roll at Spar. Nothing to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

i'm muslim and i know plenty of muslim restaurants... nor have i been ever treated unfriendly.

pro tip: a lot of "indian" restaurants are in fact muslim/pakistani restaurants. but no one would go to a pakistani restaurant, right. "indian" just sells better. and the food it basically identical.

the "lal quila" (fantastic restaurant btw) in cork city for example is an "indian" restaurant, but actually pakistani.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

true567 wrote: »
    Yes because many Muslims go to rural Alabama when visiting the U.S., use your brain. Its always the dumbest analogies, comparisons, or hypotheticals that are brought up- how many places offer Halal meat in Leitrim? A small area of a nation does not make or break an entire nation. But yet that is essentially what you just said. LOL.

Perhaps, a better framework to look at NYC, or L.A. versus Dublin?

And the point of being a tourist is to explore the culture you are visiting anyway. Hack journalism.

Well, more people actually live in Alabama than the Republic of Ireland, and quite a swathe of the US is pretty right wing, conservative, highly christian and I don't think all that open minded about the Islamic world at the moment.
    There's quite a lot of mis-aimed paranoia and hostility towards people who are identified as muslim in the US at the moment too. Where as I don't think this is the case at all in Ireland.

All I'm saying is that particularly compared to other small EU countries, that don't have large muslim populations, I can't see how Ireland did THAT badly in this survey, which is why I think the survey is a load of nonsense to begin with.

How many people were surveyed?
    Where were they surveyed?
    Was it based on just randomly asking people about perceptions, or interviewing people who came back from a destination ?

Bear in mind that a lot of Ireland's reputation abroad is Guinness + Highly Catholic. It's the two things that come up anytime I'm outside the anglophone world or near Europe.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Well, more people actually live in Alabama than the Republic of Ireland, and quite a swathe of the US is pretty right wing, conservative, highly christian and I don't think all that open minded about the Islamic world at the moment.
    There's quite a lot of mis-aimed paranoia and hostility towards people who are identified as muslim in the US at the moment too. Where as I don't think this is the case at all in Ireland.

All I'm saying is that particularly compared to other small EU countries, that don't have large muslim populations, I can't see how Ireland did THAT badly in this survey, which is why I think the survey is a load of nonsense to begin with.

How many people were surveyed?
    Where were they surveyed?
    Was it based on just randomly asking people about perceptions, or interviewing people who came back from a destination ?

Bear in mind that a lot of Ireland's reputation abroad is Guinness + Highly Catholic. It's the two things that come up anytime I'm outside the anglophone world or near Europe.

I don't think it was based on surveying people but rather on services. There aren't too many halal restaurants and our entire nightlife revolves around getting drunk.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    I don't think it was based on surveying people but rather on services. There aren't too many halal restaurants and our entire nightlife revolves around getting drunk.

You could say exactly the same about Reykjavik though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

murfilein wrote: »
    i'm muslim and i know plenty of muslim restaurants... nor have i been ever treated unfriendly.

pro tip: a lot of "indian" restaurants are in fact muslim/pakistani restaurants. but no one would go to a pakistani restaurant, right. "indian" just sells better. and the food it basically identical.

the "lal quila" (fantastic restaurant btw) in cork city for example is an "indian" restaurant, but actually pakistani.

I actually thought it used to be Bangladeshi rather than Pakistani.
    You live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well there are plenty of Halaal places etc in Dublin, where most of the Irish Muslim populace would reside. Outside Dublin, that would be a different story. I am sure if there was significant tourism, then this situation would change to accommodate tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

I actually thought it used to be Bangladeshi rather than Pakistani.
    You live and learn.
    there are also bangladeshis... but if i remember correctly, i was told that the owner is pakistani and the 2 guys i talked to when i went there were pakistanis. muslim anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

iDave wrote: »
    Does anyone care if Ireland is friendly to Jewish tourists or is it just delicate easily offended Muslims we're supposed to care about?

Nobody got offended by anything, what are you on about?

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    Well there are plenty of Halaal places etc in Dublin, where most of the Irish Muslim populace would reside. Outside Dublin, that would be a different story. I am sure if there was significant tourism, then this situation would change to accommodate tourists.

There are definitely one or two restaurants that do halal dishes in Cork, Lebanese, Moroccan etc.

Apparently we're a very good destination for Veggie tourists though compared to much of Europe.

You could say exactly the same about Reykjavik though.

Do they have loads of muslims?

And I thought they didn't drink as much as us. beer was illegal there until a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

When in Dublin I eat pasta :)

I'll admit to one bit of cultural laziness. I'd been backpacking for about 4 months when I found a place in Bolivia that did a full proper Irish/English breakfast. they even imported sausages. I went back there every day for a week :)

Yeah but Bolivian food is usually terrible. Plain rice, chips and a piece of chicken. As boring as food could possibly be.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Do they have loads of muslims?

And I thought they didn't drink as much as us. beer was illegal there until a few years ago.

They've more than made up for that brief lack of beer drinking, I can assure you!

Complete with some emm "unusual" beers: http://youtu.be/eg0LritZbJk

Icelandic chucking out time

Reykjavik's main street looks VERY familiar to most Irish people which is odd given very few of us have been there.

They do miserable weather, drinking, the odd bit of joy riding, protesting, swimming in the nip followed by drinking and volcano watching...
    It's just like Donegal with Volcanoes.

Yeah but Bolivian food is usually terrible. Plain rice, chips and a piece of chicken. As boring as food could possibly be.

Guinea pig....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr. Remote Control

I think I can say it here.

I am sick. I am sick to the back teeth, of f***ing religion. All of it. The whole f***in' lot of it. It f***s up the natural way of the world in so many different ways. I mean, what the f*** is wrong with people??

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

They've obviously never visited Clanbrassil Street, D8. I can see a about 5 halal restaurants and 2 grocery stores from my window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I think I can say it here.

I am sick. I am sick to the back teeth, of f***ing religion. All of it. The whole f***in' lot of it. It f***s up the natural way of the world in so many different ways. I mean, what the f*** is wrong with people??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Are spudz Halal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

nelly17 wrote: »
    Are spudz Halal?

Sam Spudz Barbeque Beef were

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Reykjavik's main street looks VERY familiar to most Irish people which is odd given very few of us have been there.

They do miserable weather, drinking, the odd bit of joy riding, protesting, swimming in the nip followed by drinking and volcano watching...
    It's just like Donegal with Volcanoes.

Half Irish on their mothers' side.

What do you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I feel so guilty, especially considering how welcoming and open hard line Islamic states like Iran and Saudi Arabia are to visiting cultures......

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

RWCNT wrote: »
    It's not though, did you read the article? Ireland was seen to be a less suitable holiday destination for Muslims compared to other places which were surveyed under the same criteria. They're not trying to make us feel bad, they're telling people where they might like to go on holiday.

Whats your first paragraph got to do with anything?

My first comment is to do with the fact muslims were allowed openly promote and advertise their religion in one of the country's largest third level ITs. Saying we're not friendly enough is a bit much.

The article to me sounds more inflammatory than anything else. New user so I can't link but here is a snippet from the OP's article :
    Key factors in people from the global muslim community making travel decisions are restaurants serving food that is halal, or permissible under Islamic law, as well as readily accessible mosques or prayer rooms.

Imagine if it was ourselves complaining ?

"Key factors in people from the global Irish community making travel decisions are restaurants serving food that is Bacon, cabbage, potatoes, steamed ham and Guinness stew pot, or permissible under Irish/Roman Catholic law, as well as readily accessible churches or Confessional boxes."

Most normal people travel to experience the host nation's culture, customs, way of life, scenery and uniqueness. I know we import our typical behavior to Costa Del Sol or Bondai Beach, but replace Irish people with muslims here and it would sound equally ridiculous.

A bit of white guilt trip from Irish Times from my POV.

VinLieger wrote: »
    I feel so guilty, especially considering how welcoming and open hard line Islamic states like Iran and Saudi Arabia are to visiting cultures......

How many more times do you think this statement will get recycled in this thread?

VinLieger wrote: »
    I travelled through Iran in the mid 90's & found the people to be open, inquisitive & friendly, don't judge a people by their regime.

The women were among the most attractive I have encountered, stunningly beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Which is only right, given how those poor melanin-enhanced folks were treated through centuries of Irish rule. We should have left Saudi Arabia to the Saudis. It was wrong what we did.

My first comment is to do with the fact muslims were allowed openly promote and advertise their religion in one of the country's largest third level ITs. Saying we're not friendly enough is a bit much.

The article to me sounds more inflammatory than anything else. New user so I can't link but here is a snippet from the OP's article :

Imagine if it was ourselves complaining ?

"Key factors in people from the global Irish community making travel decisions are restaurants serving food that is Bacon, cabbage, potatoes, steamed ham and Guinness stew pot, or permissible under Irish/Roman Catholic law, as well as readily accessible churches or Confessional boxes."

Most normal people travel to experience the host nation's culture, customs, way of life, scenery and uniqueness. I know we import our typical behavior to Costa Del Sol or Bondai Beach, but replace Irish people with muslims here and it would sound equally ridiculous.

"Friendly" isn't referring to how we treat them or what we allow or don't allow them to do. Nobody is complaining about anything. It's just a survey showing the best places to find the things Muslims supposedly look for on holiday, such as halal restaurants and mosques/prayer rooms. We apparently don't have as many as other places so we're down on the list, I don't think any Muslims are trying to guilt-trip us for it. I think it's lazy journalism to get people squabbling, I doubt white guilt has any place in it.

Not the best comparison, catholics usually don't have strict dietary rules for food consumption based on their religion, it's not the same as simply wanting food from home. I'd see nothing wrong with someone wanting to know if there was somewhere near where they were staying to get their pray on, should they be so inclined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fergaldevlin

Silence Infidel..... @&gt;<@...!

• Advertisement

Silence Infidel..... @&gt;<@...!

Advertisement