Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

billybudd wrote: »
    You are saying British and Irish aren't the same thing "then/now" But in 1914 it was, as it is in Northern Ireland today. You may choose to rebel as some did, or not, as the majority did

In whose eyes were they legal?

Actually I said official. But in answer to your question whoever makes the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

mattjack wrote: »
    The BA or the poppy ?

You can form a partnersip and the BA can produce the opium and you and FF can split profits, its worked in the past and the present with other despots.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

You can form a partnersip and the BA can produce the opium and you and FF can split profits, its worked in the past and the present with other despots.:pac:

Anybody buying or selling ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

MugMugs wrote: »
    Eh, well done..... What's your point? Am I wrong or are you just stirring it for the craic?

No, I was responding to a specific post. I suggest you go back and read it.

Actually I said official. But in answer to your question whoever makes the law

Official? by whose law were they official? and if they were official does it mean the BA are legitimate and complicit in murdering their own citizens? bully and intimidate them? and encouraged by the ruling elite in doing so? or was Ireland just a special case were anything was ok once rule was enforced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

Aodh Rua wrote: »
    More like Remembrance Month. And heaven forfend that you are an intelligent person who has reservations about commemorating the Black and Tans or the forces which guarded the concentration camps of Kenya or South Africa.

It's extraordinary that a country with a strong liberal tradition like Britain could allow such nationalistically fascist beliefs to take over as they do with all this British poppy commemoration.

Most British people wouldn't have a clue what Black and Tans were or about the Boer War concentration camp. WW2 seems to have been a cultural year zero. From it came the welfare state and the Britain we know today.

Rightly or wrongly stuff like the B&Ts and the Boer War, if they are known about at all, is just ancient history, with no more relevance to modern life than kids up chimneys, gladiators and the slave trade. They are all filed under "Bad Things Happened in the Distant Past".

As far as British people are concerned, Poppy Day is mostly about World War 2 and saying thanks for stopping Hitler.

gurramok wrote: »

And those who have served\are serving in the BA anywhere else, including NI. Frankly saying prayers at a remembrance ceremony for the present British armed forces has nothing to do with us Irish, we have our own Irish army thank you.

Yes, but for some reason the unofficial paramilitary army in this country gets remembered and commemorated yet the brave men and women of the Irish defence force that carry out UN missions in Chad, the Lebanon and Afghanistan get overlooked.

Personally I find this odd to say the least.

RossyG wrote: »
    Most British people wouldn't have a clue what Black and Tans were or about the Boer War concentration camp. WW2 seems to have been a cultural year zero. From it came the welfare state and the Britain we know today.

Rightly or wrongly stuff like the B&Ts and the Boer War, if they are known about at all, is just ancient history, with no more relevance to modern life than kids up chimneys, gladiators and the slave trade. They are all filed under "Bad Things Happened in the Distant Past".

As far as British people are concerned, Poppy Day is mostly about World War 2 and saying thanks for stopping Hitler.

It is primarily about WWW1/2 but not only, as pointed out many, many, many, many,many and many more times before, proceeds from the sale of poopys go to helping out past, present & future personell of the BA. Hence the problem some people have with the poppy.

Perhaps we should have an Irish Poppy Day - Shamrock Day? - where all Irish soldiers (of the uniformed variety) are honoured. That includes the Defence Force of today in places like Afghanistan and also the ones who fought, and continued to fight, in the British Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

No, I was responding to a specific post. I suggest you go back and read it.
    I know what I wrote. Where did I state it was merely ROI?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yes, but for some reason the unofficial paramilitary army in this country gets remembered and commemorated yet the brave men and women of the Irish defence force that carry out UN missions in Chad, the Lebanon and Afghanistan get overlooked.

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/index.php/2012/07/2012-national-day-of-commemoration-ceremony-to-be-held-in-collins-barracks/

It is primarily about WWW1/2 but not only, as pointed out many, many, many, many,many and many more times before, proceeds from the sale of poopys go to helping out past, present & future personell of the BA. Hence the problem some people have with the poppy.

Yes, that's fair enough. I was just pointing out the general British perception. When housewives drop a quid in the box or scouts and guides parade to the local war memorial, their heads are full of Spitfires and Churchill and D-Day and the Battle of Britain. They're not thinking of drones smashing into Iraqi villages or firing on peace parades in Derry.

Perhaps they should be, but they don't is the point I was making.

Because we do not have too spoof the world into thinking we are the good guys because unlike Britain we do not profit from war mongering and arms selling.

Because we do not have too spoof the world into thinking we are the good guys because unlike Britain we do not profit from war mongering and arms selling.

Really? Maybe you've been spoofed into thinking you didn't.

How did De Velera get so rich?

Really? Maybe you've been spoofed into thinking you didn't.

How did De Velera get so rich?

Ha, bringing up the past suits you when you want it to, i see.

can you link me a story for that?

He got rich by underhanded bond selling.

Nodin wrote: »

I know it happens, but it seems to go almost unnoticed.

Now, if the proceeds from the easter Lilly went towards a fund for serving soldiers maybe it would be less controversial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

sitstill wrote: »
    I wore my poppy yesterday as I always do at this time of year as I have a number of ancestors who died in both world wars. I was in the Georges Arcade and this old man, well 60 odd, said to me "oh poppy boy w**ker". When I asked was he speaking to me he said "yeah, u should be ashamed to wear that". I wasn't ashamed, I was proud.

No prizes for guessing who the wánker was, and it wasn't you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I know it happens, but it seems to go almost unnoticed.

Now, if the proceeds from the easter Lilly went towards a fund for serving soldiers maybe it would be less controversial.

...that's the failure of successive governments to look after its troops welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Is the Irish rugby team not representing part of the UK though?
    No, they're the Irish rugby team, rep;resenting Eire, if they don't like that then don't play for the republic. Players from ulster make their own point by not singing Amhrán na bhFiann when it is played. And don't get me started on Irelands call :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

No, they're the Irish rugby team, rep;resenting Eire, if they don't like that then don't play for the republic. Players from ulster make their own point by not singing Amhrán na bhFiann when it is played. And don't get me started on Irelands call :mad:.
    They are not playing for the republic, they are playing for 2 separate countries united by sport & should be lauded for trying to show the way forward, not attacked because they don't all sing the same anthem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Ireland should play a leading role in the world. Then you'll realise it isn't as easy as some of you are making out.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

[QUOTE=Wade in the Sea;

and if they were official does it mean the BA are legitimate and complicit in murdering their own citizens? bully and intimidate them? and encouraged by the ruling elite in doing so? or was Ireland just a special case were anything was ok once rule was enforced?

In a word, yes. units of the British Army committed atrocities in Ireland especially during the war of independence. Tell me though, do you think similar actions by the Free State Army during the civil war, oppression of communities, curfews, stop and search of men women and children and widespread execution of subversives illegitimised their authority to rule?

None of this however has anything to do with remembering our war dead.

In a word, yes. units of the British Army committed atrocities in Ireland especially during the war of independence. Tell me though, do you think similar actions by the Free State Army during the civil war, oppression of communities, curfews, stop and search of men women and children and widespread execution of subversives illegitimised their authority to rule?

None of this however has anything to do with remembering our war dead.

I do not agree with some of what the FSA did but they were the official Army of Ireland at the time.Also something they did were under direct threat from Britain to do so, it was a very fragile time in Ireland which split families down the middle.

This thread is not about remembering the war dead, it is about why would an Irish person wear a poppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

The poppy money goes to the British legion for former British soldiers. How can there be so many irish people willing to wear one. Madness.

Vote:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2231071/James-McClean-refuses-wear-poppy.html

Ireland should play a leading role in the world. Then you'll realise it isn't as easy as some of you are making out.

Or maybe Britain should play a less significant puppy role and worry about its own social problems and its youths detatchment from society.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Or maybe Britain should play a less significant puppy role and worry about its own social problems and its youths detatchment from society.

Ireland benefits from the protection it gets being under the Pax Americana umbrella.

It's always morons that don't understand politics that have the loudest mouths about war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Dalken

Why don’t ye all get lives and stop wasting the time you have coming on here talking wa*k about Poppy’s. What F*ckin difference does it make, this country is going down the shi*ter so fast, young bright people leaving to make something of themselves, we can’t afford to hire guards or teachers, jokers and chancers are still running the place and you’re concerned with this poppy me b*lix, “what does it mean to be Irish??” sh*te, like it makes any difference to anyone in real terms...Most of ye here don’t know the first f*ckin thing about being Irish. I know I’m Irish cos I love my country and I want to see it progress not because it’s not part of the UK or because of our rebel history we’re so past that as far as I’m concerned time we all grew up.

Ireland benefits from the protection it gets being under the Pax Americana umbrella.

It's always morons that don't understand politics that have the loudest mouths about war.

Protection from who moron?

Aodh Rua wrote: »

Yes, like all those volunteers who fought for Irish freedom by claiming 25% of the planet earth. What extremists!"

Oh, wait, they had British uniforms on them - they must be "moderate"!

That was a great post, did you think that up all on your own?

What exactly, other than having a little rant, does that add to the conversation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 murfey

After all it's for a foreign army, I don't see anyone wearing an emblem for the French, American, Spanish army. Ok some say it's for charity for injured British soldiers, but surely if they join up it's up to the British govt to properly look after them when they are injured and not pestering people expecting charity ?
    Has anyone seen the filth gutter press in the daily mail rag today about james mc clean. After reading this anti irish filth,i have joined this forum to enlighten others of this papers anti irish veiws.the story written by a colin young attacks a young lady from Derry, because he choose not to wear a poppy.He also has a go at John O shea for not having one on for the second half of the game, even though most players changed their jerseys at half time and were also not wearing one also.This nobrain journelist also contuinueson the try start/encourage a twitter reactsion against mc clean.Fact a lot of muslin players did not wear the poppy also.Fact most clubs supplied 1 top to players so in the second half a lot of players were not wearing this symbol.
    ALREADY Rio Ferd. HAS DEFENDED JAMES OVER HIS PRRSONAL DESISION.
    This jouralist covers the north east of england and its not the first time he has attacked mc clean.
    This paper publishes in the irish market as the irish daily mail, they should be ashamed of the filth they published today, in fact they have been publishing anti irish filth for a long time.
    I omly joined here today to highlight this to decent people in the hope that we will avoid this newspaper and this writer, soory for my spelling but i am so angry that in 2012 we have to read this anti irish filth.
    If i have posted this in the wrong place or forum, can somone repost it where it will be read so we can force this rag to change its anti irish opions

Advertisement