Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

This has already been covered on this thread.

James McClean, like a lot of footballers, has pissed off a few gobby people, just as Sol Campbell did. Playing under 21 for Northern Ireland and changing to the RoI is probably his biggest sin and this is being used as an excuse to throw more hatred at him.

It is ridiculous and stupid that it happened, but that is the disadvantage of social media, people turn into super ninja keyboard warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

He shouldnt be forced to wear it. Forcing people and guilt tripping them into wearing just ruins the message and symbolism of the poppy.
    was he forced to wear it NO,it was very much his own choice ,i just think the sunderland management should not have played him on that day knowing his feelings about wearing a poppy,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

getz wrote: »
    was he forced to wear it NO,it was very much his own choice ,i just think the sunderland management should not have played him on that day knowing his feelings about wearing a poppy,

....why shouldn't they have played him?

Nodin wrote: »
    ....why shouldn't they have played him?
    if you cannot see the reason why ,you have a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

hide the embarrassing fenian is it?

• Advertisement

...he wasn't wearing the political symbol du jour?

GRMA wrote: »
    hide the embarrassing fenian is it?
    your not nodins big ears are you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Of course he should have played it is everyone's right to wear it or not. It would be a bad day if we let these people dictate what can be worn and what cannot

your not nodins big ears are you

Bit odd when you're confronted on your views your tactics seem to be to attack whoever do so, or attempt to switch the focus elsewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Jesus I should read more carefully.

I thought this thread said "Why would an Irish person wear a nappy"

• Advertisement

Of course he should have played it is everyone's right to wear it or not. It would be a bad day if we let these people dictate what can be worn and what cannot
    when in rome,that was first said by the catholic bishop of rome when asked why he change the sabath to a sunday.

when in rome,that was first said by the catholic bishop of rome when asked why he change the sabath to a sunday.

..."when in rome" you should abide by Roman politics? So you accept now its a political symbol....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

A long long time ago

Sorry but I no many people who didn't wear poppies and had nothing said to them. This is only happening because of some imbeciles that should know better

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

what he did was upsetting to many people in the UK
    who cares? theyl get over it.
    they were most lightly told to be upset by the poppy fascists and the daily male anyway, the same people who care so much about (their boys) that they do nothing for them or prioratise watching x factor rather then doing anything to help (their boys)

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Unfortunately football has all elements of humanity as its fanbase. Players receive abuse % hatred on Twitter for their skin color or religious beliefs, the non poppy wearing McClean is at the wrong end of these morons wrath at the moment.
    Of course he shouldn't wear a poppy if he does not wish to. Right minded people have no issues with that, but the lunatic fringe in society do.

Lelantos wrote: »
    Unfortunately football has all elements of humanity as its fanbase. Players receive abuse % hatred on Twitter for their skin color or religious beliefs, the non poppy wearing McClean is at the wrong end of these morons wrath at the moment.
    Of course he shouldn't wear a poppy if he does not wish to. Right minded people have no issues with that, but the lunatic fringe in society do.
    one death threat out of a population of 60 million is not that silly, but as usual those who have a anti-brit agenda will try to make something out of it,a lot worse goes on in ireland,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

one death threat out of a population of 60 million is not that silly, but as usual those who have a anti-brit agenda will try to make something out of it,a lot worse goes on in ireland,

It seems people are responding more strongly to your justification of the death threats than saying the fringe is representative of the whole.

The trouble with throw-away lines like that is that if your point isn't clear to begin with, you're making it worse not better.

Can you break it down for us? I work for a British company — would it be acceptable if they told me if I wasn't going to wear a poppy in work on the 11th, don't bother coming in at all?

Football is the last place they should be willfully introducing partisan statements

Feathers wrote: »
    It seems people are responding more strongly to your justification of the death threats than saying the fringe is representative of the whole.

The trouble with throw-away lines like that is that if your point isn't clear to begin with, you're making it worse not better.

Can you break it down for us? I work for a British company - would it be acceptable if they told me if I wasn't going to wear a poppy in work on the 11th, don't bother coming in at all?

Football is the last place they should be willfully ntroducing partisan statements
    no the fringe [one] is not resresentive of he british public,unlike many of the posties would like to think,the queen herself laid a wreath at the republic of irelands garden of rememberance that is dedicated to the people who fought for irish independance against britain,should she not of done ?dispite hundreds of protestors,and bomb threats in britain and ireland ?.all i am saying is that wearing the poppy in its self by people in the UK is about remembering those of our families who died in wars,most of us in the UK who wear it have families who died in WW1 and WW11,as far as death threats by the lunatic fringe fringe [one] ,as far as death threats against sports men and women ireland will beat us hands down,in my memory,mary peters got death theats, as did barry mcguigan,[he even had to carry a gun when in ireland] dennis taylor of all things received a death threat ,as did neil lennon,the lad had good personal reasons not to want to wear a poppy,but he cannot expect many people in the UK to understand that,i personally think that the football clubs were silly in putting poppies on the jerseys as it is a very sad occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Nobody should be forced to wear any symbol. It's idiotic.

Could you imagine the uproar if Ireland decided to do something similar to remember our 1916 heroes? If we forced everybody (including those of a unionist background) to wear a green ribbon when appearing on television or playing sport here?

It's nonsense, and the treatment of James McClean and those like him, who's only crime is exercising their free-will, makes me doubly determined never to let a poppy touch off my clothing.

What's next? The public burning effigies of McClean in a similar vein to extremist Muslims protesting over cartoons?

The British media need to be careful, because they are in danger of turning this charitable cause into something else.

The vast majority of British people can see the irony of bullying someone into wearing what is supposed to be a symbol of sacrifice made for freedom. Unfortunately, the media and a significant minority are not as enlightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

who cares? theyl get over it.
    they were most lightly told to be upset by the poppy fascists and the daily male anyway, the same people who care so much about (their boys) that they do nothing for them or prioratise watching x factor rather then doing anything to help (their boys)
    That's a bad attitude. Why couldn't this footballer wear a poppy? So what if he didn't agree with it? He'll get over it. See your argument doesn't work both ways.

• Advertisement

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Nobody should be forced to wear any symbol. It's idiotic.

Could you imagine the uproar if Ireland decided to do something similar to remember our 1916 heroes? If we forced everybody (including those of a unionist background) to wear a green ribbon when appearing on television or playing sport here?

It's nonsense, and the treatment of James McClean and those like him, who's only crime is exercising their free-will, makes me doubly determined never to let a poppy touch off my clothing.

What's next? The public burning effigies of McClean in a similar vein to extremist Muslims protesting over cartoons?

The British media need to be careful, because they are in danger of turning this charitable cause into something else.

The vast majority of British people can see the irony of bullying someone into wearing what is supposed to be a symbol of sacrifice made for freedom. Unfortunately, the media and a significant minority are not as enlightened.
    they have the man who did it,he is manchester doorman,who posted his threats on a republican website,

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    That's a bad attitude. Why couldn't this footballer wear a poppy? So what if he didn't agree with it? He'll get over it. See your argument doesn't work both ways.

I don't think his point does work both ways. He's not advocating forcing the British population to do something that they don't want to do. However, you are advocating forcing a man to wear something that he doesn't want to.

You are not this footballer. You don't know his reasons for not wearing it, and to be honest it doesn't matter. It's his right not to wear it. He doesn't have to justify it to you or anybody else. Similarly if you choose to wear one, you don't have to justify it either. It's about freedom. Something a lot of people on here seem to have lost track of.

they have the man who did it,he is manchester doorman,who posted his threats on a republican website,

Its not only about the death threat. Its also about the booing he is receiving from the crowds.It's about the way the media reported him "not wearing a poppy." Its a form of intimidation, not only of McClean, but of anybody else who dares to exercise their free will on the issue.

This type of behaviour is doing the charity no favours whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Its not only about the death threat. Its also about the booing he is receiving from the crowds.It's about the way the media reported him "not wearing a poppy." Its a form of intimidation, not only of McClean, but of anybody else who dares to exercise their free will on the issue.

McClean gets boo'd by his own fans constantly, nothing to do with the poppy wearing fiasco, they just don't like him

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I don't think his point does work both ways. He's not advocating forcing the British population to do something that they don't want to do. However, you are advocating forcing a man to wear something that he doesn't want to.

You are not this footballer. You don't know his reasons for not wearing it, and to be honest it doesn't matter. It's his right not to wear it. He doesn't have to justify it to you or anybody else. Similarly if you choose to wear one, you don't have to justify it either. It's about freedom. Something a lot of people on here seem to have lost track of.
    You say it's about freedom but not really. We all have to do things in our job or our professional life that our company or in this case team support that we don't necessarily. This guy was clearly unprofessional in his handling of the situation.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You say it's about freedom but not really. We all have to do things in our job or our professional life that our company or in this case team support that we don't necessarily. This guy was clearly unprofessional in his handling of the situation.

This guy wasn't "clearly" unprofessional. Where in a footballers contract does it say he is sometimes required to wear politically charged symbols and support causes which he may not agree with? That's total nonsense.

It's all about freedom if you are to listen to any of the remembrance day speeches. Perhaps it's "freedom" to force your own standards and beliefs on others? Yea... how dare McClean not allow himself to be bullied into wearing a poppy. Shame on him.....

Unbelievable logic.... You're actually arguing against freedom of choice.

its football,its news ,its the media, it makes headlines ,that sells newspapers,it will be all forgotten next time he puts the ball in the net,then the usual suspects will search the news for something else that they can have ago at,just for instance i did not wear a poppy this year,but i bought one for the poppy appeal,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

no the fringe [one] is not resresentive of he british public,unlike many of the posties would like to think,the queen herself laid a wreath at the republic of irelands garden of rememberance that is dedicated to the people who fought for irish independance against britain,should she not of done ?dispite hundreds of protestors,and bomb threats in britain and ireland ?.all i am saying is that wearing the poppy in its self by people in the UK is about remembering those of our families who died in wars,most of us in the UK who wear it have families who died in WW1 and WW11,as far as death threats by the lunatic fringe fringe [one] ,as far as death threats against sports men and women ireland will beat us hands down,in my memory,mary peters got death theats, as did barry mcguigan,[he even had to carry a gun when in ireland] dennis taylor of all things received a death threat ,as did neil lennon,the lad had good personal reasons not to want to wear a poppy,but he cannot expect many people in the UK to understand that,i personally think that the football clubs were silly in putting poppies on the jerseys as it is a very sad occasion.
    Good point. Use paragraphs and full stops though.

grenache wrote: »
    Good point. Use paragraphs and full stops though.
    may be of interest,there are 99 irish football players playing top flight in england,i bet most of them are saying what was all that about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

no the fringe [one] is not resresentive of he british public,unlike many of the posties would like to think.

I know - I agreed on that above. What I disagreed with was the idea that he should be dropped for refusing to wear one. He's a footballer, not a charity spokesman & this was a regular match, not a charity exhibition match for the RBL.

Why should his refusal to voluntarily support a charity affect his career?

Advertisement