Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

murfey wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the filth gutter press in the daily mail rag today about james mc clean. After reading this anti irish filth,i have joined this forum to enlighten others of this papers anti irish veiws.the story written by a colin young attacks a young lady from Derry, because he choose not to wear a poppy.He also has a go at John O shea for not having one on for the second half of the game, even though most players changed their jerseys at half time and were also not wearing one also.This nobrain journelist also contuinueson the try start/encourage a twitter reactsion against mc clean.Fact a lot of muslin players did not wear the poppy also.Fact most clubs supplied 1 top to players so in the second half a lot of players were not wearing this symbol.
    ALREADY Rio Ferd. HAS DEFENDED JAMES OVER HIS PRRSONAL DESISION.
    This jouralist covers the north east of england and its not the first time he has attacked mc clean.
    This paper publishes in the irish market as the irish daily mail, they should be ashamed of the filth they published today, in fact they have been publishing anti irish filth for a long time.
    I omly joined here today to highlight this to decent people in the hope that we will avoid this newspaper and this writer, soory for my spelling but i am so angry that in 2012 we have to read this anti irish filth.
    If i have posted this in the wrong place or forum, can somone repost it where it will be read so we can force this rag to change its anti irish opions

In other news, the pope has confessed to being catholic and a beer was caught crapping in the woods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

murfey wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the filth gutter press in the daily mail rag today about james mc clean. After reading this anti irish filth,i have joined this forum to enlighten others of this papers anti irish veiws.the story written by a colin young attacks a young lady from Derry, because he choose not to wear a poppy.He also has a go at John O shea for not having one on for the second half of the game, even though most players changed their jerseys at half time and were also not wearing one also.This nobrain journelist also contuinueson the try start/encourage a twitter reactsion against mc clean.Fact a lot of muslin players did not wear the poppy also.Fact most clubs supplied 1 top to players so in the second half a lot of players were not wearing this symbol.
    ALREADY Rio Ferd. HAS DEFENDED JAMES OVER HIS PRRSONAL DESISION.
    This jouralist covers the north east of england and its not the first time he has attacked mc clean.
    This paper publishes in the irish market as the irish daily mail, they should be ashamed of the filth they published today, in fact they have been publishing anti irish filth for a long time.
    I omly joined here today to highlight this to decent people in the hope that we will avoid this newspaper and this writer, soory for my spelling but i am so angry that in 2012 we have to read this anti irish filth.
    If i have posted this in the wrong place or forum, can somone repost it where it will be read so we can force this rag to change its anti irish opions

I support wearing the poppy but not forcing people to wear it. That's shíte.

The Mail is a bloody rag all right but will never change as it depends on its fiftysomething south of England anti EU anti everything brigade. I would suggest cutting it into squares and hanging them on a hook in your nearest toilet, but you'd want a really hard arse to use it as toilet paper.

Try posting comments under the article online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

BX 19 wrote: »
    Because an estimated 30,000 people died in WW1 from Ireland. Simple as. It's a symbol remembering those who died, and nothing more.

in that case,i would have no hesitation in buying a green poppy and wearing it with pride but to wear another countries tribute to their fallen etc i dont deem right, just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That is it for another year, time for me to unsubscribe to this thread

See you all next year where will will rehash all the same stuff :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ireland should play a leading role in the world. Then you'll realise it isn't as easy as some of you are making out.

Whats that do with anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

billybudd wrote: »

I do not agree with some of what the FSA did but they were the official Army of Ireland at the time.Also something they did were under direct threat from Britain to do so, it was a very fragile time in Ireland which split families down the middle.

This thread is not about remembering the war dead, it is about why would an Irish person wear a poppy.

We wear a poppy to remember our war dead

Not all wars are worthy of remembrance in that fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

So I take it since Remembrance Day is coming to a close we can put this to rest until next year? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

philologos wrote: »
    So I take it since Remembrance Day is coming to a close we can put this to rest until next year? :)

Banned.

DUCWIDT?

Nodin wrote: »
    Not all wars are worthy of remembrance in that fashion.

We are not commemorating war - but those who died.

• Advertisement

Well. Glad that that's all sorted for another year LOL

Did we make it to 100 pages?

We are not commemorating war - but those who died.

....to be perfectly honest if somebody dies in a battle to maintain an empire - particularily in modern times - you're going to get fuck all sympathy from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Actually you wear a poppy to show people you remember the war dead, i can remember war dead without needing a symbol and i do frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Nodin wrote: »
    ....to be perfectly honest if somebody dies in a battle to maintain an empire - particularily in modern times - you're going to get fuck all sympathy from me.

Who'd want your sympathy? If i get killed i certainly dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Who'd want your sympathy? If i get killed i certainly dont.

Ill personaly wear a ''vote for pablo'' badge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

its stupid that your expected to wear one and when you refuse they get offened because you dont want to suppoort the murdering scu3bags

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Protection from who moron?
    Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Dalken wrote: »
    time we all grew up.
    i think you'l find we were always grown up as a nation, as for an individual once a person reaches a certain age they usually stop growing all though i have heard of some person (think he lived in canada) who kept growing, think he ended up around 8 foot?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

i think you'l find we were always grown up as a nation, as for an individual once a person reaches a certain age they usually stop growing all though i have heard of some person (think he lived in canada) who kept growing, think he ended up around 8 foot?

Grown up, perhaps. Brittle, certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I'd rather die than wear one, These are the people that murdered our people through out the years, scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lohal

I'd rather die than wear one, These are the people that murdered our people through out the years, scum.

Many of these "scum" were Irish aprox 35000 Irish died in WWI 210000 Irish served in the British army in WWI there was no conscription in Ireland in that period. why should we forget them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭sligotrain

Hmmm simplistic knee jerk anti brit stuff as I'd expect.

However I note from the Irish Times letters page Paddy Harte the former Fine Gael TD is proposing a specific Irish poppy to commemmorate the Irish dead in past wars.

Perhaps if there was an Irish poppy available more people could wear them safe that they wouldn't fall foul of the Irish Anti-Poppy taliban

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

lohal wrote: »
    Many of these "scum" were Irish aprox 35000 Irish died in WWI 210000 Irish served in the British army in WWI there was no conscription in Ireland in that period. why should we forget them?

It all comes under the one umbrella doesnt it, I wouldnt wear one, even if 35000 Irish served them, what about all the Irish their army have murdered and tortured throughout the years. Bloody Sunday? many unarmed people they murdered, some just teenagers. not to mention the others around the world, the women and children they've murdered. So yeah I do think they're scum.
    sligotrain wrote: »
    Hmmm simplistic knee jerk anti brit stuff as I'd expect.

However I note from the Irish Times letters page Paddy Harte the former Fine Gael TD is proposing a specific Irish poppy to commemmorate the Irish dead in past wars.

Perhaps if there was an Irish poppy available more people could wear them safe that they wouldn't fall foul of the Irish Anti-Poppy taliban

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

It all comes under the one umbrella doesnt it, I wouldnt wear one, even if 35000 Irish served them, what about all the Irish their army have murdered and tortured throughout the years. Bloody Sunday? many unarmed people they murdered, some just teenagers. not to mention the others around the world, the women and children they've murdered. So yeah I do think they're scum.
    :rolleyes:

Scum?
    A handy utility word for verbally challenged "patriots" with small brains, short tempers, long memories and a chip on their sholder the size of a Giant Sequoia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There were comments on the Daily Mail site calling for McClean to be shot dead for refusing to wear a poppy. They had to disable comments on the article because they were that vicious. Bunch of fcuking cretins.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2231071/James-McClean-refuses-wear-poppy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the headling from that third indo article is .....
    "Outrage as man arrested for posting picture of burning poppy on Facebook"

am very relieved now.
    I heard it on BBC radio there in passing and I thought someone had set fire to a puppy (dog) .

Burning a puppy is evil.
    Burning a poppy is not in the same league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

gurramok wrote: »

Had to do a double take on that one. It's like a news report from North Korea or some other oppressive totalitarian state. Shocking stuff.

the headling from that third indo article is .....
    "Outrage as man arrested for posting picture of burning poppy on Facebook"

am very relieved now.
    I heard it on BBC radio there in passing and I thought someone had set fire to a puppy (dog) .

Burning a puppy is evil.
    Burning a poppy is not in the same league.

No, but he was also arrested for making obscenities, so I guess that is what he was arrested for. Hopefully burning a Poppy isn't an offence.

• Advertisement

There were comments on the Daily Mail site calling for McClean to be shot dead for refusing to wear a poppy. They had to disable comments on the article because they were that vicious. Bunch of fcuking cretins.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2231071/James-McClean-refuses-wear-poppy.html

Sadly there's a bunch of cretins that will give James McClean abuse for anything he does.

Advertisement