Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

I dont expect any Irishman to wear the poppy if they dont want to. But in Ireland it seems that those that choose to come under a lot of criticism which isnt fair.

I never said commemerate the Black and Tans more that if we in Ireland won't commerate them why should the British be expected to commemerate the Mau-Mau?

Exactly, so I'm taking it that you're recognising the partisan nature of the emblem itself.

I personally don't publically call people out for wearing one, though I could see how people who've suffered from British Army violence in this country wouldn't be too keen on it. I'd also presume people know in advance that wearing something symbolic of an army that caused a lot of pain in this country will possibly get people's backs up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Feathers wrote: »
    Exactly, so I'm taking it that you're recognising the partisan nature of the emblem itself.

I personally don't publically call people out for wearing one, though I could see how people who've suffered from British Army violence in this country wouldn't be too keen on it. I'd also presume people know in advance that wearing something symbolic of an army that caused a lot of pain in this country will possibly get people's backs up.

Agreed but a lot of that criticism comes from anti-British bigotry which isnt justified in abusing people wearing a poppy.

Nodin wrote: »
    ....and you didn't bother to research a bit before spouting off? Bit odd.

I presume you have a load of time on your hands. I dont have the same luxury in which to carry out extensive research of the Mau Mau conflict.

You seem to be ignorant of the brutality required to subjugate a large number of people. You also seem to ignore (as do a number of others) the fact that the whole colonial enterprise was in fact criminal from the get go.

I agree It was a criminal enterprise one pursued by governments of several nations.
    Thats a good one. I'd like to see the reaction if somebody tried that line regarding the Germans or Russians.

Most people would agree that the average Russian or German soldier would haven't been involved in atrocitis.

What makes you think that? Suez was nothing to be proud of, nor was Aden, Uganda, NI, Iraq....why should they receive anything from an Irish person, regardless of how they behaved?
    Because that Irish person may have a relative who was killed or injured in those conflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Agreed but a lot of that criticism comes from anti-British bigotry which isnt justified in abusing people wearing a poppy.

Sure, if that's the motive that's driving people; but as a symbol supporting military personnel, I'd say it's hard to tell without delving further if most people are critical of it because of an anti-British sentiment or are anti-British military action — the trouble with the topic is that everyone dismisses the second as equating with the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Leinster ladyboys Bod and Kearney not wearing poppy on BBC but proud Munster man woods all decked out with the imperial red.
    Keith Woods grand uncle died in WW1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Because that Irish person may have a relative who was killed or injured in those conflicts.

...if they can square that with their conscience, thats their business. I won't be joining them.

...if they can square that with their conscience, thats their business. I won't be joining them.

If you dont want to wear it ive no problem with that. Its a pity you dont show the same tolerance towards those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm asking that you point out to those saying its ok to buy the poppy because of ww1 and WWII that those people are more than likely dead. Thats what I'm referring to with 'consistency'. They are, logically, far more likely to be dead than those who served in Aden, Iraq or Cyprus.

If you don't agree with what other posters say, it's not my job to question them.

I'm being polite in saying that I think we're talking at cross-purposes, and I think you've got the wrong end of the stick re the "dead people".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Rascasse wrote: »
    Were any lowly soldiers tried after WWII? I know there weren't at Nuremberg, if that's what you are alluding to.

If the Nuremberg standards were applied to British Troops there'd have been loads of BA soldiers hanged in the decades after WWII, a few British PM's and just about every US president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Lelantos wrote: »
    Keith Woods grand uncle died in WW1

So did mine, I still would not wear one. Does he wear one around Limerick or Clare or where ever he is from or just when he is on the BBC?

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If you don't agree with what other posters say, it's not my job to question them.".

No, but its a bit odd you don't apply the same standard to others posts as you do to mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Fair play to young McClean deciding not to wear the poppy,of course this is being portrayed as "refusing" to do it... gonna be eaten by the media. But as a derry man he knows all about the British Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

GRMA wrote: »
    Fair play to young McClean deciding not to wear the poppy,of course this is being portrayed as "refusing" to do it... gonna be eaten by the media. But as a derry man he knows all about the British Army.

Err. Is there any difference in deciding and refusing? Its a Premier League fundraiser that the shirts have the poppy and are then auctioned. He doesn't want the poppy on his, so he's given one without.

And I doubt he will be 'eaten' by the media. If, and its a big if, players refusing to wear poppy shirts makes the media will be if the Argentinians that play for City tomorrow do the same. That may be enough to get a mention in the Express or Star. A mediocre player for a mediocre team won't garner any attention in isolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

So did mine, I still would not wear one. Does he wear one around Limerick or Clare or where ever he is from or just when he is on the BBC?
    It's personal choice, he chose to wear one, you chose not to. End of.

Err. Is there any difference in deciding and refusing? Its a Premier League fundraiser that the shirts have the poppy and are then auctioned. He doesn't want the poppy on his, so he's given one without.

And I doubt he will be 'eaten' by the media. If, and its a big if, players refusing to wear poppy shirts makes the media will be if the Argentinians that play for City tomorrow do the same. That may be enough to get a mention in the Express or Star. A mediocre player for a mediocre team won't garner any attention in isolation.

Ye reckon?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2231071/James-McClean-refuses-wear-poppy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Ah the Daily Mail. Just when you think "no they wouldn't" they do. Unbelievable.

I wonder will this be in print in the UK edition and have the Irish one praising him.

Ah the Daily Mail. Just when you think "no they wouldn't" they do. Unbelievable..

Well, when I say "most" British people aren't like that, it should be noted that those who are prefer the mail. I seem to remember the Express being far worse though....
    I wonder will this be in print in the UK edition and have the Irish one praising him.

Entirely possible, though I won't shell out to discover the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

stoneill wrote: »
    Plenty of reasons why Irish people should wear a poppy.

Not one reason why not.

one not wishing to is a perfectly valid reason

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

one not wishing to is a perfectly valid reason

How dare you point out the obvious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Poppies are used to make heroin.
    Please raise this with your local MP.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

billybudd wrote: »
    Give examples please?
    An example of Irelands shame?

You really don't need to ask do you?

Staying neutral in WW11

Irelands shame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

I F**king hate watching tv this time of year with that sh1t forced down your throat. No matter where you look they have the poppy. Cant even watch a football match without seeing it. I personally think its a disgrace that they are forced to wear one and if you refuse you get abuse ie James McClean. If you think about it why would any Irish person want to support this appeal? Ok, many the Irish person died in the WWs but can we remember our own way not the pushy British way.

It turns my stomach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I F**king hate watching tv this time of year with that sh1t forced down your throat. No matter where you look they have the poppy. Cant even watch a football match without seeing it. I personally think its a disgrace that they are forced to wear one and if you refuse you get abuse ie James McClean. If you think about it why would any Irish person want to support this appeal? Ok, many the Irish person died in the WWs but can we remember our own way not the pushy British way.

It turns my stomach

It will probably surprise all my nationalist 'friends' here that I find it stomach turning too - poppies wearing should be a matter of personal choice. Whoever decides these enforcement policies should be given their P45s, and, to me, its almost like a conspiracy to discredit the wearing of the poppy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

getzls wrote: »
    An example of Irelands shame?

You really don't need to ask do you?

Staying neutral in WW11

Irelands shame.

What about the Swiss? or every other country that remained neutral. Bollocks post mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The fact is that theres no way to differentiate between those who are and aren't when buying a poppy. That, combined with the large number of brutal colonial regimes they were involved in, means that anyone supporting the poppy appeal runs a great chance of their funds aiding those involved with those regimes.

Just as someone buying a Lilly is commemorating people who committed atrocities I'm the name of Ireland.

Therefore, wearing a poppy is no different to wearing a poppy and anyone who wears a Lilly bit chastises someone for wearing a poppy is a hypocrite. Yes?

Are you going to answer this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It turns my stomach

Errr, maybe you should stop watching British tv and British football then.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

there is a large minority of "bird o donnells" cap tipping quislings in ireland they can always be relied on to wear poppies and welcome british monarchs:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

...so........what's this "poppy" you speak of?

...I'm guessing some beret like device?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

Errr, maybe you should stop watching British tv and British football then.[/QUOTE

Or maybe you should take into consideration that not everyone in the world supports your murdering scumbag army.it must be something in your DNA that makes you think you should force yourselves/opinions/customs on everyone else.

The world would have been a better place if it wasnt for your armies. i really dont know why people would support them. Im baffled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No, but its a bit odd you don't apply the same standard to others posts as you do to mine.

Other posters didn't ask to me to post on their behalf, and I hate being told what to do.

Advertisement