Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Just as someone buying a Lilly is commemorating people who committed atrocities I'm the name of Ireland.

So you're saying that fighting for Ireland is the same as fighting to preserve a racist colonial regime?

You still haven't explained how references to the Kenyan conflict are "deflection".........any reason, or will you give of your wisdom now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Lelantos wrote: »
    It's personal choice, he chose to wear one, you chose not to. End of.

maybe he feels the need to wear it so he can earn a few bob off the BBC. If he also wears it around Limerick and Clare I would have more respect for him.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Other posters didn't ask to me to post on their behalf, and I hate being told what to do.

I never told you what to do. I merely point out that when I justify boycotting the poppy by referring to a particular conflict (that took place the 1950's) you say they're all dead, but when others justify the poppy appeal by reference to ww1 and 2, you fail to make the same observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Aodh Rua

getzls wrote: »
    An example of Irelands shame?

You really don't need to ask do you?

Staying neutral in WW11

Irelands shame.

And how is that a "source of shame"?

If I were British it would be much more a source of shame that the Royal British Legion which organises the poppy fascism today to ostensibly honour "those who fought against Nazism" was, ironies of ironies, supporting Adolf Hitler and the fascists of the Nazi party as recently as autumn 1938 when it organised hundreds of British Nazi sympathisers to help the Nazis run their newly conquered Czech territory of the Sudetenland.

And it's not as if the British state finally declared war on Nazi Germany, after years of collaboration/appeasement, in order to defend the Jews, although this seems to be a common myth among certain nationalistically-minded people in Britain. There's no evidence for that quite silly idea.

Royal British Legion's support for Nazism

Here's a photo of the leaders of the [Royal] British Legion meeting Nazi leaders to offer them support in the late 1930s:

Royal British Legion's alliance with Nazi Germany

How do all these pro-poppy/imperialist people get away with such wholesale revisionism and outright denial of British alliances with Nazi Germany right up to 1939?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

wearing apoppy isnt just about supporting vets from ww1or ww2 its about supporting british imperialsim andthe brit war machine. not only will the brave vets from the fields of france recieve cash from poppy wearers but also the vets that were in derry THAT sunday, as well as vets from every british imperial adventure from ww1 right up to iraq and afghanistan.
    if you wear a poppy,your a quislng FACT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭seanpjs93

I wouldn't think of it as for the British Army, more so for those who died fighting a cause that was a threat to Britain and it's empire of which we were apart of like it or not, it's to show respect for people who died protecting people as a whole, not just one country or another, they deserve respect for fighting to protect their fellow man, there are monuments around Ireland paying tribute to those who died in WWI from Ireland, they shouldn't be ignored just because they fought under the British Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nodin wrote: »
    I never told you what to do. I merely point out that when I justify boycotting the poppy by referring to a particular conflict (that took place the 1950's) you say they're all dead, but when others justify the poppy appeal by reference to ww1 and 2, you fail to make the same observation.

You fail to make the observation that what happened in WW1 and 2 was completely different to what happened in a colonial conflict where atrocities were committed.

As far as you're concerned, the "evil" Brits were the villains no matter what fight they were involved in.

seanpjs93 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think of it as for the British Army, more so for those who died fighting a cause that was a threat to Britain and it's empire of which we were apart of like it or not, it's to show respect for people who died protecting people as a whole, not just one country or another, they deserve respect for fighting to protect their fellow man, there are monuments around Ireland paying tribute to those who died in WWI from Ireland, they shouldn't be ignored just because they fought under the British Army.

money raised by poppy wearers goes to brits that served in ireland,iraq,afghanistan,zimbabwae, etc..............from 1914 right uo to 2012. its not a sign of respect for vets from the somme its a fund raiser for all vets from all the imperialist conquests of the brit war machine. wearing a poppy says i support the "empire" and its armed killers.

any irish person, of which there is approx 3,000, in the british forces, are supported by the british legion.

should, god forbid, something bad happen to a member of my family that was a member of the british forces, it would be nice to think that someone, somewhere, would actually help. as much as they can.
    the british legion do that, they help irish people that were/are a member of the english royal forces.

cant see whats wrong with that??

if your family are serving members of the BA they are traitors to ireland. post 1916 no self respecting irish man would don a british uniform. only a serf would support em and only a serf would join em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

wearing apoppy isnt just about supporting vets from ww1or ww2 its about supporting british imperialsim andthe brit war machine. not only will the brave vets from the fields of france recieve cash from poppy wearers but also the vets that were in derry THAT sunday, as well as vets from every british imperial adventure from ww1 right up to iraq and afghanistan.
    if you wear a poppy,your a quislng FACT!

Fact?
    Why is it a fact?
    Just because you say so?
    Kindly allow people to make up their own minds about what they can and cannot wear.
    You and your fellow travelers are not the final arbiters of taste and behaviour in this country.Not yet and hopefully not for a long time.
    Prior to 1969 you lot were hiding under your beds while loyalist mobs rampaged through the streets of Belfast.
    If it wasn't for the British Army [for all their many faults] coming in then the death toll over the next 30 years would have been at least five times what it was.
    I am an Irishman born and bred and yet I'd rather stand with a good British squaddy any day rather than the "shoot in the back" merchants you obviously look up to.

I am an Irishman born and bred and yet I'd rather stand with a good British squaddy any day rather than the "shoot in the back" merchants you obviously look up to.

QUISLING. go and stand with your pals of the para regiment and fru............scumbag.

Fact?
    If it wasn't for the British Army coming in then the death toll over the next 30 years would have been at least five times what it was.

i disagree with you on that one! they pumpd up the death toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Those British squaddies as you called them shot dead many unarmed children post 1969 in NI. They were are bad as the IRA in their killing methods.

if your family are serving members of the BA they are traitors to ireland. post 1916 no self respecting irish man would don a british uniform. only a serf would support em and only a serf would join em.

i had grand uncles on both sides, some fought for ireland and republicasism etc etc and some fought for the british army in the war because they earned good money and sent it home to my granny's family.
    they all appreciated the money and were proud of what their brother did in the war.

so dont for a second think that there is something wrong with me wearing a poppy if i feel like it.
    shower of hypocropites

gurramok wrote: »
    Those British squaddies as you called them shot dead many unarmed children post 1969 in NI. They were are bad as the IRA in their killing methods.
    squaddies that recieved medals from lizzie for their sterling work protecting the empire. the fru,sas,paras etc.......all did their time here and all have innocent blood on their hands. poppy wearers are quisling traitors.

bubblypop wrote: »
    i had grand uncles on both sides, some fought for ireland and republicasism etc etc and some fought for the british army in the war because they earned good money and sent it home to my granny's family.
    they all appreciated the money and were proud of what their brother did in the war.

so dont for a second think that there is something wrong with me wearing a poppy if i feel like it.
    shower of hypocropites

again poppies arent jus about vets from ww1 or 2 they are about supporting vets from all wars and conflict inc irleland and inc vets from bloody sunday. only a low life quisling would wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

again poppies arent jus about vets from ww1 or 2 they are about supporting vets from all wars and conflict inc irleland and inc vets from bloody sunday. only a low life quisling would wear one.

I'm afraid I'm a low life quisling then. Wonder why I don't feel bad about it?
    Obviously some knee bending imperialist reactionary syndrome has warped my mind.
    Funnily, as I go my way enjoying the good things of both cultures from Shakespere to the Beatles and from W.B Years to Seamus Heeny I feel surprisingly liberated and sometimes even elated.

there is plenty of people on the last 20 years that joined the english army, they are not low lifes, far from it.

just because they are in the british army it doesnt mean that they will be in ireland. chances are they wont.
    what do you care and why and wot they what they are doing now??????

also i know i lot of people in the last 5 years that need caring, some of those carers are caring for people in the south.
    including my family, they appreciate the help, just dont want people to know.
    thats what wrong with ireland the way it is now.

I'm afraid I'm a low life quisling then. Wonder why I don't feel bad about it?
    Obviously some knee bending imperialist reactionary syndrome has warped my mind.
    Funnily, as I go my way enjoying the good things of both cultures from Shakespere to the Beatles and from W.B Years to Seamus Heeny I feel surprisingly liberated and sometimes even elated.

i also enjoy things from both cultures, football,shakespeare(i played shylock in school) got a b in honours english, love britsih comics(went to see j bishop last night) l dont like beatels but love noel gallagher oasis...etc............................................... its britsh foreign policy i detest,especially when its comes to ireland......they've no right in ireland,never had a right in ireland and never will have a right in ireland. jsut cos i dont agree with british imperialism dont mean i cant support man u or listen to oasis or play shylock.

quisling.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    there is plenty of people on the last 20 years that joined the english army, they are not low lifes, far from it.

just because they are in the british army it doesnt mean that they will be in ireland. chances are they wont.
    what do you care and why and wot they what they are doing now??????

also i know i lot of people in the last 5 years that need caring, some of those carers are caring for people in the south.
    including my family, they appreciate the help, just dont want people to know.
    thats what wrong with ireland the way it is now.

if they join the ba they swear alligance to the queen. if they get sent to ireland and they get sent to a riot in ardoyne or the bog side....which way will they be pointing their the rifles???? scumbags and traitors imo.

if they join the ba they swear alligance to the queen. if they get sent to ireland and they get sent to a riot in ardoyne or the bog side....which way will they be pointing their the rifles???? scumbags and traitors imo.

so what of the gardai in this country???

they swore to uphold their oath, do you think they shold go out arms first towards everyone that comes up against them???

seriously, dont put your guns up in the air!!! dont do it with the gardai there.

let her and any other innocent people in the house out first, all innocents out right now. right now. right this instant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Aodh Rua wrote: »
    How do all these pro-poppy/imperialist people get away with such wholesale revisionism and outright denial of British alliances with Nazi Germany right up to 1939?

Lets avoid the Irish Goverments love in with the German State then.

And remember if the UK had taken the cowards way out and surrendered and the Germans hadn't been so foolish to attack Russia ou would now be speaking German.

Do you really think, and set aside your hatred of the British, Germany would have let little old Ireland potter on unhinded?

Indeed, they would have not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

They would be in the UK. So bit foolish of you to call them S.B and Tratiors.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Don't feed them!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You fail to make the observation that what happened in WW1 and 2 was completely different to what happened in a colonial conflict where atrocities were committed.

As far as you're concerned, the "evil" Brits were the villains no matter what fight they were involved in.

...if you read the thread you'll note that I stated that I've nothing in principle against WW1 and WW2 commemorations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Why do people expect Irish people to wear one while the Americans, Australians, kiwis etc don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

kraggy wrote: »
    Why do people expect Irish people to wear one while the Americans, Australians, kiwis etc don't?
    Remberance day is observed in Anzac territories & poppies are worn also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

i know poppies are worn in canada. New zealand and australia im not so sure on but they do have anzac day. The americans have veterans day as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Australian rugby team had one on their jersey last night.

Advertisement