Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

How does the Irish Government come into someone moving from one war to another for foreign armies?

As my post. Says it all.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

getzls wrote: »

Your post says your ancestor fought for money in Spain and France. Did the Irish Government send him to either war?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Can't see anything of note written by you on the last few pages. Maybe you should expand.

uch wrote: »
    Back on topic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I would wear a poppy because my Granda was a professional fighter, he fought in the spanish civil war, came home and had no work, joined the British army, was shipped to france, defended against the German and was evacuated from Dunkirk

This is what i'm referring too.

This person had priniciples, unlike the Irish Goverment of the time.

Irelands shame.

Can't see anything of note written by you on the last few pages. Maybe you should expand.
    None so blind as he who will not see.

Especially an Irish Republican.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

this is going to upset the irish anti-poppy brigade,irish prime minister enda kenny,will attend a remembrance day ceremony in enniskillen on sunday,its also the towns 25th anniversary of the IRA poppy day bombing,on the same day,the irish minister for foreign affairs,eamon gilmore,will lay a wreath at belfast city hall cenotaph,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I think this attack on Fratton Fred is ridiculous. Britain were the dominant force, they became a civilised race long before we did. Naturally as an advanced race they spread their wings and endeavored to grow their empire. There was no evil intention behind this desire. They're humans, things went wrong, sh1t happened and its true that many atrocities were carried out by the British Army.

They still however undeniably left a mark on our planet, the very language I type this post in is because of the British. Don't think that we're all innocent here either, Michael Collins had men killed in their beds, including the wrong targets. If you were to believe TP Coogan's account of the man (Who as an author is very favourably biased towards him) he was a very flawed individual and had a drinking problem.

If you wrote this with your right handthen it may have made sense.

getz wrote: »
    this is going to upset the irish anti-poppy brigade,irish prime minister enda kenny,will attend a remembrance day ceremony in enniskillen on sunday,its also the towns 25th anniversary of the IRA poppy day bombing,on the same day,the irish minister for foreign affairs,eamon gilmore,will lay a wreath at belfast city hall cenotaph,

Who said it is wrong to remember ordinary soldiers?

More likely because he was a man of high principals.

Something the Irish Goverment of the time had little off.

Irelands shame.

Give examples please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Plenty of reasons why Irish people should wear a poppy.

Not one reason why not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I........ they became a civilised race long before we did........

Course. We should all face west and do a few ritual bows in the morning, to the tune of Jerusalem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

My father and his brothers all fought with the Irish regiments in the british Army,All left the BA when the troubles broke out in the North,None of them have/had took the BA pensions on principles of there own.My father never wore a poppy as I wouldn't, My uncles do, to salute there comrades who died.I personally don't have a problem with that, I can understand both sides as to the whys and wonts.

stoneill wrote: »

Not one reason why not.

I've laid out a number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Nodin wrote: »
    I've laid out a number.

and yet you wear Poppy. Surely you feel hypocritical for doing that?

i would appreciate n answer this time, not more "But the Mau Maus" type defelction

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Not one reason why not.

You have obviously just read the last few posts :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

billybudd wrote: »
    Who said it is wrong to remember ordinary soldiers?

err, that is what the poppy is for:confused:

I've laid out a number.

No - you laid out your opinions, not reasons.

and yet you wear Poppy. Surely you feel hypocritical for doing that?

What?
    i would appreciate n answer this time, not more "But the Mau Maus" type defelction

Do please explain how referring to the Kenyan conflict is "defelction".....

No - you laid out your opinions, not reasons.

So you don't think the fact that British troops have been involved in various colonial actions post 1945 qualifies as a reason? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

I know of a former IRA 'volunteer' who now works for the Royal British Legion. How about that?

(And yes, they know of his background)

• Advertisement

So you don't think the fact that British troops have been involved in various colonial actions post 1945 qualifies as a reason? Why?

Because I can make the distinction between ordinary men and women who died in wars and the policies of greedy governments.

err, that is what the poppy is for:confused:

No Fred, as stated many time there is a difference, you dont need a church to believe in god for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

RossyG wrote: »
    I know of a former IRA 'volunteer' who now works for the Royal British Legion. How about that?

(And yes, they know of his background)

I know of former family who served in the BA in WWI, once they came home they then joined the IRA to fight for Irish freedom.

Because I can make the distinction between ordinary men and women who died in wars and the policies of greedy governments.

And so the cycle continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

....well for one thing, I'm not talking about the dead. Secondly, are you telling me you have no trouble with funds going towards the people who did this?
    Interrogation under torture was widespread. Many of the men were anally raped, using knives, broken bottles, rifle barrels, snakes and scorpions. A favourite technique was to hold a man upside down, his head in a bucket of water, while sand was rammed into his rectum with a stick. Women were gang-raped by the guards. People were mauled by dogs and electrocuted. The British devised a special tool which they used for first crushing and then ripping off testicles. They used pliers to mutilate women's breasts. They cut off inmates' ears and fingers and gouged out their eyes. They dragged people behind Land Rovers until their bodies disintegrated. Men were rolled up in barbed wire and kicked around the compound.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/23/british-empire-crimes-ignore-atrocities

....well for one thing, I'm not talking about the dead. Secondly, are you telling me you have no trouble with funds going towards the people who did this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/23/british-empire-crimes-ignore-atrocities

FFS Nodin, dont you know they were just trying to make the world a better place.;)

FFS Nodin, dont you know they were just trying to make the world a better place.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Still refusing to believe that the perpetrators are long since dead and probably never lived in Ireland anyway? They wouldn't be getting the benefit of the poppy fund in the UK, let alone here, they being dead and all.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Still refusing to believe that the perpetrators are long since dead and probably never lived in Ireland anyway? They wouldn't be getting the benefit of the poppy fund in the UK, let alone here, they being dead and all.

They're far more likely to be alive than veterans of both world wars (which you never mention to people who keep harping on about that, for some reason)and it typifies the actions that Britian fought during the close of Empire.

Advertisement