Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai prepare plan for Queen's arrival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Einhard wrote: »
    Oh God. She's a member of the House of Hanover dynasty, which has been on the throne for less than 300 years and, as far as I'm aware, weren't involved in persecuting the Irish when they were mere princelings in germany prior to that. To blame her then for the activities of monarchs from whom she's not even descended is definitely stretching it a bit!!

Indeed, blaming her the actions of any of her forebears is a tad unreasonable.

I dont think you get me at all.. I dont see the reasoning in her coming here. What she stands for is a bygone british imperialist past that no longer exists.

I couldnt give two ****s about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

neil_hosey wrote: »
    I dont think you get me at all.. I dont see the reasoning in her coming here. What she stands for is a bygone british imperialist past that no longer exists.

Oh, I do get you. You want to prevent the queen visiting this country because of the actions of her ancestors. I think that's pretty unreasonable.

Incidentally, as Britain is a constitutional monarchy, policy relating to Ireland was decided by the Cabinet, led by the PM. And yet you think David Cameron should come in her stead? Not very consistent...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

hypocrisy??? what are you talking about ! :confused: shoot to kill

Warrenpoint was 30 odd years ago? same with most you mentioned above! By FAR, dublin bombings was worse than ALL of the above!

you said:

I then said, yes, you can use that as an analogy! Because, dublin/monaghan bombing was the worst atrocity in the troubles (most deaths in one day) affecting hundreds of families (if not more) around dublin.

What hypocrisy!

Okay, Omagh was the single biggest atrocity. Warrenpoint after that, but it wasn't an atrocity, it was an extremely well planned military attack, admitted as such by British military commanders.

Dublin/Monaghan was the biggest deaths on a single day. Slightly more happened since then in NI, rather than Dublin. If you don't get that, well...........

You know what you could do?

We do it were I'm from on the 12th here, every year, in the good old REPUBLIC of Ireland?

Let them march or in this case, let her parade! Laugh and point at the stupidity of the occasion and get on with it. Not have a chip on the shoulder and try and pretend you can empathise with people in NI, which is bull****.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

So whats the bets? sniper or bomb? im gonna go with sniper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

The best way to deal with it is with a snub.

When she goes out to 'meet the people' there aren't any.
    Not one.
    If you see it coming, turn your back and walk away.
    The worst insult you can give to people like that is ignoring them.

http://jeffreypeel.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/ogaraqueen.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

They're not happy to spend it. They'd rather not spend it. But they'll have to to protest a pensioner from the blood lust of a bunch of neanderthal tools masquerading as "nationalists". Are you really advocating that we allow violent scumbags have a veto on which heads of state we invite to the country?
    not sure exactly what you are saying there, but what Im saying is that most people would rather not have the Queen of England come over for a visit and waste Irish money that is very much needed elsewhere. nothing to do with 'scumbags'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

not sure exactly what you are saying there, but what Im saying is that most people would rather not have the Queen of England come over for a visit and waste Irish money that is very much needed elsewhere. nothing to do with 'scumbags'

It has everything to do with scumbags. The money will have to be spent to protect her from "nationalist" scumbags who wish to inflict harm on her. So blame them for the "waste" of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

It has everything to do with scumbags. The money will have to be spent to protect her from "nationalist" scumbags who wish to inflict harm on her. So blame them for the "waste" of money.
    do you think that is the only category of people that the queen would be under threat from? does she not need security back at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

storm2811 wrote: »
    Yes but you were implying that you'd be angry at someone for wearing or using another flag rather than the Irish one, regardless of their past.

Belgium never conquered us. Waving the flag of another country which brutally conquered us in the past is a different story than waving the flag of Belgium. You know that.
    *Sighs*

No. I'm saying I'ved lived in Dublin for years!!! And you shouldn't presume to know things about people that you've never met!!

Well, your knowledge of daily life in Dublin leaves alot to be desired if you ever lived here unless you lived in an ivory tower in Killiney.
    KevR wrote: »
    There is no excuse for causing damage to our capital city, none!

Anyone arrested or identified on CCTV as causing trouble should have their welfare (i.e. - job seekers allowance) cut-off. Anyone who is out of work is supposed to be flat out looking for a job; in my opinion they should have no entitlement to be hanging around Dublin City Centre smashing the place up instead of looking for a job on that day.

The British Queen's visit doesn't really bother me; I'll be at work not caring as will most people. What will really annoy me is that if I'm paying tax to support unpatriotic scumbags* who aren't arsed looking for work and who will trash our capital city (and my taxes will also have to pay to fix the damage).

*I'm talking about scumbags who have never had a job in their whole entire life, even during the boom times. The kind of people who had the attitude of "why should I work when I can get €X for doing absolutely nothing; working all week and paying tax is for fools". Makes my blood boil.
    And before anyone jumps down my throat, I know there are loads of hard working people who are genuinely out of work at the moment. I very much doubt that these people will cause any trouble as they will (a) be busy looking for a job that day as they are every day; (b) know what it's like to pay tax and won't want to see tax money from other hard pressed people wasted on cleaning up Dublin City Centre after it gets needlessly trashed; (c) as hard working people they will be able to relate to the shite that the Emergency Services will have to put up with on the day of the visit and Dublin City Council workers in the days following.

No point telling me that, you state the obvious. We all know and agree what you say there already.

Question is what's in place to prevent a mass gathering of skangers at such an event??

An answer of 'Gardai' is not sufficient as they lost control of the city for a few hours with devastating results in 2006 and they lose control of the city to junkies\skangers\scum every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Good, that's settled then.

Absolute nonsense. As K-9 stated, O'Connell St is the main thoroughfare of our nation, and not symbolic of of sectarian butchery. There's a massive difference. If that kind of analogy is what you get from educating yourself, then I'll pass this time thanks.
    K-9 wrote: »
    No harm to ya lad, but comparing the Shankill, or the Falls Road, to O'Connell Street is a joke.

If you want to use that analogy, get over yourself!

Dublin doesn't have a clue what the Falls or the Shankill was, or is, like.

I suggest educate yourself mate. The Falls would be the first to laugh at O'Connell Street rioting.

More thinking along the lines of it woudl be inappropriate because of the history. Ie Dublin bombings and Shankill bomb in the late 90s which killed 9 innocent people in a fish shop.

I'm well aware they're different in other ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

CorkMan wrote: »
    pop the bitch
    jugger0 wrote: »
    So whats the bets? sniper or bomb? im gonna go with sniper.

Do you realise how immature and downright stupid you sound.

For god's sake she's an 86 year old woman who has never done a single thing to harm anyone here.

Grow up folks.
    gurramok wrote: »
    Belgium never conquered us.

Nor did she or any of her direct ancestors.
    What she stands for is a bygone british imperialist past that no longer exists.

Exactly. All of that is long past now and really she had nothing to do with it. Just let it go now.

Attitudes like those above are the reason so many have died and are still dying up North.

It's time this country moved into the 21st century a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Do you realise how immature and downright stupid you sound.

For god's sake she's an 86 year old woman who has never done a single thing to harm anyone here.

Grow up folks.

Exactly. All of that is long past now and really she had nothing to do with it. Just let it go now.

Attitudes like those above are the reason so many have died and are still dying up North.

It's time this country moved into the 21st century a bit.

Shes the head of state of a foreign country, and that said countries armed forces done many shameful things to the north east of this island and its native irish people under her rule. She has responsibility for this, she may not have ordered them to commit these acts but she done sweet fu*k all to get them to stop.

Im not buying the ‘shes 86yo woman’ bullsh*t any more, she wasn’t 86 when she oversaw the troubles and what her ‘proud’ British army was doing in the name of the British Empire.

Imperialism belongs in the stone age, relics like her are out dated and have served their purpose in whatever past century they belong in.

Whats your point? You trying to deny Irish history?

Shes the head of state of a foreign country, and that said countries armed forces done many shameful things to the north east of this island and its native irish people under her rule. She has responsibility for this, she may not have ordered them to commit these acts but she done sweet fu*k all to get them to stop.

Im not buying the ‘shes 86yo woman’ bullsh*t any more, she wasn’t 86 when she oversaw the troubles and what her ‘proud’ British army was doing in the name of the British Empire.

Imperialism belongs in the stone age, relics like her are out dated and have served their purpose in whatever past century they belong in.

Attitudes like this are exactly why there has been so much trouble on this island and are the reason she sent in her armed forces to try and calm things down.

Now some of her people may have done terrible things but I'm sure that she had nothing to do with it.

The second highest ranking politician in China, a horribly corrupt country that does awful things to it's citizens in the name of Communism visited here last week and no-one batted an eye-lid.

Yet here we are declaring war on an old woman who isn't even really the one in charge of her country (that position belongs to a chap called David Cameron in case you didn't realise).

You're absolutly right, Imperialism is over and done with. So it's time we move on, grow up and stop acting like she's on her way over to re-invade us again.

Whats your point? You trying to deny Irish history?

No of course not. Why would you think that.

I just think advocating the rape and murder of an old woman for what her ancestors did is going too far that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Just because some old German trout wants to do a bit of shopping in Grafton St is no skin off my nose. All tourists are welcome.

No of course not. Why would you think that.

I just think advocating the rape and murder of an old woman for what her ancestors did is going too far that's all.

Then why did you make 2 plus 2 regarding Belgium and rape/murder as I did not say the latter.

Then why did you make 2 plus 2 regarding Belgium and rape/murder as I did not say the latter.

I know you didn't. I was refering to other posters and the attitude on her in general.

But my point re her not invading us still stands though. She didn't nor did any of her direct ancestors.

Attitudes like this are exactly why there has been so much trouble on this island and are the reason she sent in her armed forces to try and calm things down.

Now some of her people may have done terrible things but I'm sure that she had nothing to do with it.

The second highest ranking politician in China, a horribly corrupt country that does awful things to it's citizens in the name of Communism visited here last week and no-one batted an eye-lid.

Yet here we are declaring war on an old woman who isn't even really the one in charge of her country (that position belongs to a chap called David Cameron in case you didn't realise).

You're absolutly right, Imperialism is over and done with. So it's time we move on, grow up and stop acting like she's on her way over to re-invade us again.

No attitudes like mine are not what got us into this mess and all the trouble. The attitude of past British Governments and Armed forces (which she is over) is what caused our troubles. The fact that they denied so many people their basic human rights, rights to vote, poor housing conditions, an dmany others is what caused all the mess. The British Monarch visiting has nothing to do with Chinas record on human rights, this is to do with a foreign power and the injustice caused by said foreign power.

Im all for the Good Friday Agreement, and i am happy at the progress being made while there is still alot more to be done and achieved. That doesn’t mean we can all play happy families with British Officials just yet.

I havent for one moment called for her to be attacked, i don’t believe she should be making an official visit and i think peaceful protests are in order.

No attitudes like mine are not what got us into this mess and all the trouble. The attitude of past British Governments and Armed forces (which she is over) is what caused our troubles. The fact that they denied so many people their basic human rights, rights to vote, poor housing conditions, an dmany others is what caused all the mess. The British Monarch visiting has nothing to do with Chinas record on human rights, this is to do with a foreign power and the injustice caused by said foreign power.

Im all for the Good Friday Agreement, and i am happy at the progress being made while there is still alot more to be done and achieved. That doesn’t mean we can all play happy families with British Officials just yet.

I havent for one moment called for her to be attacked, i don’t believe she should be making an official visit and i think peaceful protests are in order.

Dear god, talk about being stuck in the past. You may as well stop the Danes from coming over because after all how many Irish did the Vikings inslave 800 years ago.

• Advertisement

I know you didn't. I was refering to other posters and the attitude on her in general.

But my point re her not invading us still stands though. She didn't nor did any of her direct ancestors.

She oversaw the Troubles in NI, thats enough responsibility there.

I wonder will she denounce her fanatical followers in NI who murder in her name?

Dear god, talk about being stuck in the past. You may as well stop the Danes from coming over because after all how many Irish did the Vikings inslave 800 years ago.

Im not stuck in the past, any of my posts i talk about how good the GFA is for this country, and how i hope the progress continues. I understand Irelands history, i understand the problems, i don’t think she should be invited in an official capacity and the tax payer left to pay for her security when we have never received an official apology for everything this country went through.

We received one from the Government with regards to Blood Sunday which was fantastic. Im only stating facts and how most republicans feel, again il say it so you don’t miss it that i havent once hinted at the thought i agree with harm coming to her. I think a peaceful protest raising valid objections to this visit it in order. I don’t and wont agree with any riots but im probably being stupid expecting the whole trip to pass off peacefully.

Also other posters attitudes that we should be mature, i call bullsh*t on that kind of attitude, just because they arent openly roaming the streets or sitting in housing estates in Derry gunning down Civil Rights campaigners doesn’t mean Irish people have not right to object to this visit. A peaceful protest is a mature response, a violent one is obviously no good for anybody concerned as people will be injured and the cost for the clean up will be alot higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Many Irish people's ideal would be for the two parts & two traditions on this island to come together, one tradition (Unionism) looks to the Monarchy, one tradition (Nationalism) looks to the Presinency, so tell me this, why would you protest at the Queen's visit? in view of the fact that by doing so would insult the very people you wish to Unite with? > surely there should be mutual respect for the President & the Queen?

Im not stuck in the past, any of my posts i talk about how good the GFA is for this country, and how i hope the progress continues. I understand Irelands history, i understand the problems, i don’t think she should be invited in an official capacity and the tax payer left to pay for her security when we have never received an official apology for everything this country went through.

We received one from the Government with regards to Blood Sunday which was fantastic. Im only stating facts and how most republicans feel, again il say it so you don’t miss it that i havent once hinted at the thought i agree with harm coming to her. I think a peaceful protest raising valid objections to this visit it in order. I don’t and wont agree with any riots but im probably being stupid expecting the whole trip to pass off peacefully.

Also other posters attitudes that we should be mature, i call bullsh*t on that kind of attitude, just because they arent openly roaming the streets or sitting in housing estates in Derry gunning down Civil Rights campaigners doesn’t mean Irish people have not right to object to this visit. A peaceful protest is a mature response, a violent one is obviously no good for anybody concerned as people will be injured and the cost for the clean up will be alot higher.

Should we ask the Danes for an apology for what the Vikings did? How about the Americans for throwing our people in slums in 1840s, forcing them to work long hours for tiny wages, refusing them entry to some places etc when they emmigrated due the famine?

And I know you personally said nothing about harming the Queen but a lot of posters here did and that's what I was responding to.

She oversaw the Troubles in NI, thats enough responsibility there.

I wonder will she denounce her fanatical followers in NI who murder in her name?

She is a figure head. She had no power to stop the troubles or to start them in the first place.

There was nothing she could have done. The government at the time was the one with the power to do something.

She is a figure head. She had no power to stop the troubles or to start them in the first place.

There was nothing she could have done. The government at the time was the one with the power to do something.

She could of opened her gob to say 'killing in my name is wrong'.

She could of opened her gob to say 'killing in my name is wrong'.

Right because that would have stopped the Troubles :rolleyes:

People weren't fighting for or against her you know, only against eachother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

exactly. it is akin to blaming the president for bailing out Anglo, they are only figureheads and have no real power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

K-9 wrote: »
    Okay, Omagh was the single biggest atrocity. Warrenpoint after that, but it wasn't an atrocity, it was an extremely well planned military attack, admitted as such by British military commanders.

Just because something is planned doesn't mean that it's not an atrocity.

Two examples : September 11th & the Invasion of Iraq.

• Advertisement

Right because that would have stopped the Troubles :rolleyes:

People weren't fighting for or against her you know, only against eachother.

No it wouldn't have stopped the Troubles. It would have saved many lives by denouncing killing in her name by Loyalists who follow her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement