Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai prepare plan for Queen's arrival

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Notice the barracks? Soldier in there.

err yeah, what else would you put in a barracks:confused:

they've got a big one of them in Kildare I noticed as well, is that an occupation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

gurramok wrote: »
    Its disturbing that you put the rights of extremists above public safety.

So the the likes of the scumbags who trashed O'Connell St are the final arbiters of who gets what rights eh? Because that's what you are, in essence, advocating.
    You be happy waving a union jack so we know what camp your in. Never crossed your mind to wave a tricoluour, the flag of our nation?

What camp am I in?
    You must really be ashamed to be Irish.:mad::(

Don't be such a drama queen. How on earth does welcoming a sovereign of another state make one ashamed of their own country?

No. But they should not be allowed parade past the Omagh or Enniskillen bomb sites in black balaclavas, and if a civic government is too stupid to realise this and lets them, when the following inevitable hiding ensues I would not consider them innocent victims nor compare them to a girl wearing a short skirt being raped.

Love Ulster wanted to walk down O'Connell St.

I made the analogy because you and others are blaming Love Ulster for the violence that others perpetrated, and worse, seeking to withdraw civil liberties from them. You are blaming the victim for the actions of their assailants. And rewarding the actions of the criminal minded by giving them exactly what they wanted in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

admittedly I haven't been to all of it, but I had a trip around the northern parts a while back and there was no army of occupation there as far as I could tell.

With what we know now, no it shouldn't. But that's not my point, my point is more about your constant dramatisation of events.

lol :rolleyes:

Well he was advocating the basic "don't be a retard" rule. You know, things like it is advisable to carefully pick your apparel before sauntering down the falls.

So someone who holds a small British flag in Dublin, or welcomes the queen is a retard and deserves to be attacked?

Tell me, even if she was uber loved by all and not just by people like Myers, would she need as much protection? Yes she would. Sure the pope did, did he not? Cant blame republicans for that can you? If it was not republicans it would be Bin Ladin.

What on earth are you talking about? It's no secret that the greatest threat to her security would come from Republicans. Hence she requires more protection than, say, the Queen of the Netherlands. And hence the security bill is greater. Pretty simple stuff really.
    Do you even think that the dissies even have the capability to assassinate the old bag? Considering they struggle to make a working pipe bomb? Do they have the logistical ability to attack her? No they don't.

:confused: She'd been protected because there is a credible threat to her safety here. And it stems mostly from Republicans.
    Personally as a republican I do not want to see some old woman dead, I would rather she would remain outside of this country.

Fair enough. I'll welcome the visit. Guess that makes me a West Brit.

Tell me, we got on grand trade wise with Britain for how long without a visit? What will this accomplish?

It'll add to the normalisation of relations between the two nations. That alone makes it worthwhile.
    Why is she coming? Coming here to apologize for acts carried out by her armed forces on this island during her reign? To apologize for giving said scum honors?

I don't know what she proposes to do once here. Maybe she'll visit the site where her uncle, his wife and two young boys were blown to pieces by murdering scum.

It sickens me that people have such short memories. She is the head of Britains armed forces. They are still occupying this island. She gave the fcuking bloody sunday paras honors ffs, and you want to roll out the red carpet?

I don't have a short memory. But I do want this nation to move on. I want us to have normal relations with our nearest neighbour.

The only thing this visit will accomplish is to create a huge bill, and huge protests of which I will be part of. We do not need nor want her here. This proposed visit will have no positive outcome, I promise you that.

You mean you don't want her here. Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Just re the Love Ulster parade.

That was done deliberately to create a reaction. Willie Frazer who organised it is a man who has previously said he has a lot of respect for Billy Wright. He was also refused a gun licence on grounds of being a known associate of loyalist paramilitaries.

I'd have no problem with a march on o'connell st in recognition of victims of republican (anyone remember the anti-IRA protests by Irish people after the warrington bomb in the early 90s packing out the entirety of oconnell st ??) violence but I wouldn't show up with loyalist flags playing tunes. That would be like victims of loyalist violence marching down the Shankill with IRA banners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 kilkenny_kid

What the queen needs is a jizz spray. Auld Phil ain't what he used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Maybe if we ask her nicely she'll take us back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Einhard wrote: »
    So the the likes of the scumbags who trashed O'Connell St are the final arbiters of who gets what rights eh? Because that's what you are, in essence, advocating.

You show no disregard for the wellbeing of ordinary people. Actually you are supporting scum by advocating such an event which brings violence to our streets.
    What camp am I in?

British monarchist camp waving your union jack.
    Einhard wrote:
    Don't be such a drama queen. How on earth does welcoming a sovereign of another state make one ashamed of their own country?

You're waving a British flag with no intention of waving an Irish flag. You show your loyalty and true colours there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Looks like the Queen will be paying us a visit in 2011. Is it right that we should have to pay for a massive security operation for this visit when our country is struggling financially?

Who's "THE" Queen ?

Which Queen ?

You show no disregard for the wellbeing of ordinary people. Actually you are supporting scum by advocating such an event which brings violence to our streets.

Brilliant. So violent scumbags attack a peaceful parade and I'm advocating violence by backing the peaceful marchers?!

British monarchist camp waving your union jack.

God that's silly.

You're waving a British flag with no intention of waving an Irish flag. You show your loyalty and true colours there.

Who mentioned anything about not waving an Irish one? And if you read my post, I stated I'd do so not out of any great regard for the queen or the UK itself, but to piss the reactionary Republicans off. I'm glad to see it's working!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Just re the Love Ulster parade.

That was done deliberately to create a reaction. Willie Frazer who organised it is a man who has previously said he has a lot of respect for Billy Wright. He was also refused a gun licence on grounds of being a known associate of loyalist paramilitaries.

I'd have no problem with a march on o'connell st in recognition of victims of republican (anyone remember the anti-IRA protests by Irish people after the warrington bomb in the early 90s packing out the entirety of oconnell st ??) violence but I wouldn't show up with loyalist flags playing tunes. That would be like victims of loyalist violence marching down the Shankill with IRA banners.
    Willie Frazer was warned that going down to Dublin was a suicide mission and frowned upon by the majority of the loyalist community,he is a livewire who isn't wanted by more people than who support him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Who's "THE" Queen ?

Which Queen ?

The one that's a direct descendant of Brian Boru (according to David Norris).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

What camp am I in?

Love Ulster wanted to walk down O'Connell St.

I made the analogy because you and others are blaming Love Ulster for the violence that others perpetrated, and worse, seeking to withdraw civil liberties from them. You are blaming the victim for the actions of their assailants. And rewarding the actions of the criminal minded by giving them exactly what they wanted in the first place.

I never blamed anyone for anything. I merely took exception to your analogy. I also pointed out that to march past the G.P.O could be seen as deliberate provocation or extremely insensitive by certain people. You also never stated your position on a republican group holding a celebration on the Omagh bomb site, and should these people then be attacked, would you consider them innocent victims?

I'm just wondering where you stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Why would anyone want her to visit. If the purpose is to foster good relations between Ireland and Great Britain then the best people to invite would be the coalition government for a state visit, where we could agree to work more closely towards mutually beneficial ends. Inviting a decrepit old woman and her dumb racist husband serves little purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why would anyone want her to visit. If the purpose is to foster good relations between Ireland and Great Britain then the best people to invite would be the coalition government for a state visit, where we could agree to work more closely towards mutually beneficial ends. Inviting a decrepit old woman and her dumb racist husband serves little purpose

because then it wouldn't be a state visit.

A state visit is when our useless old biddy talks to your useless old biddy over a few glasses of Shiraz and a wold boar, whilst the people that actually the countries get on with the business bit.

I never blamed anyone for anything. I merely took exception to your analogy. I also pointed out that to march past the G.P.O could be seen as deliberate provocation or extremely insensitive by certain people. You also never stated your position on a republican group holding a celebration on the Omagh bomb site, and should these people then be attacked, would you consider them innocent victims?

I'm just wondering where you stand.

You blame Love Ulster for the fact that they were attacked. hence, blaming the victim, My analogy stands.

I wouldn't like such a Republican commemoration. But I wouldn't prohibit it either. The difference is though, that Love Ulster didn't murder anyone on O'Connell St. So your analogy falls down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Tell me, even if she was uber loved by all and not just by people like Myers, would she need as much protection? Yes she would. Sure the pope did, did he not?

Huh huh, the pope.."uber" loved by all.:pac:
    OMG! He's gay so you called him a girl! ROFLZ YOU'RE SO FUNNY! How long did it take to come up with a pun like that? :rolleyes::D:p

I think a "queen" is a term used to refer to gay older men..I think, not sure if it's offensive or not either.:P

Anyway, this queen thing, I honestly could not give a shit whether she visits or not.
    I just know there will be some morons who get out of hand at protests etc, so I'd say the sercurity is neccessary.

Brilliant. So violent scumbags attack a peaceful parade and I'm advocating violence by backing the peaceful marchers?!

Peaceful extremists, thats a new one. Its abhorrent that you do not care one iota about the safety of the general populace.
    God that's silly.

No its not, you have a bee in a bonnet about Irish Nationalists.
    Who mentioned anything about not waving an Irish one? And if you read my post, I stated I'd do so not out of any great regard for the queen or the UK itself, but to piss the reactionary Republicans off. I'm glad to see it's working!!:D

The first thing that came into your mind was waving a union jack. An Irish flag did not come into your mind at all so the conclusion is that you have Unionist aspirations.

Peaceful extremists, thats a new one. Its abhorrent that you do not care one iota about the safety of the general populace.

No it's not. They were engaged in a peaceful march. Or do you have evidence to prove they were engaging in acts of violence whilst marching?

No its not, you have a bee in a bonnet about Irish Nationalists.

Not at all. Just rabid "nationalists" who think that patriotism is about hating the Brits. Like that fool who protested about "foreign games" in Croke Park while wearing a Celtic or Liverpool jersey!!

The first thing that came into your mind was waving a union jack. An Irish flag did not come into your mind at all so the conclusion is that you have Unionist aspirations.

LOL, brilliant. You really don't get it do you?! The reason I'd wave the Union Jack is to irritate people like you. I'm sure a few scumbag heavies would teach me a lesson though, and you'd defend them, but it'd be worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

You blame Love Ulster for the fact that they were attacked. hence, blaming the victim, My analogy stands.

I wouldn't like such a Republican commemoration. But I wouldn't prohibit it either. The difference is though, that Love Ulster didn't murder anyone on O'Connell St. So your analogy falls down.

I did not blame Love Ulster. I blamed the people who allowed the route. I think you are being deliberately obtuse in order to cling on to what you must know is a double standard. To compare a nationalist/republican being assaulted while walking down a street by a gang of Loyalists and one being assaulted while openly thumbing their nose at a scene of carnage and murder perpetrated in their cause's name is simply dishonest and disingenuous.

If you would not block an IRA reunion party in Omagh or Enniskillen at the graveyard of the people they murdered, then all I can say is I'm glad you're not in charge of the PSNI.

Love Ulster was a loyalist group wanting to march past the G.P.O. where several Irish people were murdered according to where you stand. The analogy stands.

• Advertisement

No it's not. They were engaged in a peaceful march. Or do you have evidence to prove they were engaging in acts of violence whilst marching?

Their presence provokes violence. You'd know that if you had knowledge of the conflict. Whether its through ignorance or deliberate obfuscation, you do not really care about the citizens of Dublin(though you are in Kilkenny)
    Not at all. Just rabid "nationalists" who think that patriotism is about hating the Brits. Like that fool who protested about "foreign games" in Croke Park while wearing a Celtic or Liverpool jersey!!

They're not nationalists. FFS, do you know the conflict at all? Suppose you'd label the Nationalist SDLP as scum through your walter mitty type interpretation of events
    LOL, brilliant. You really don't get it do you?! The reason I'd wave the Union Jack is to irritate people like you. I'm sure a few scumbag heavies would teach me a lesson though, and you'd defend them, but it'd be worth it!!

Me? Yes, you irritate the average Irish person like me as you do not embrace our nation state but instead embrace our Unionist cousins flag.

Your last comment is despicable, i know no scumbag heavies to jump on you :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Their presence provokes violence. You'd know that if you had knowledge of the conflict. Whether its through ignorance or deliberate obfuscation, you do not really care about the citizens of Dublin(though you are in Kilkenny)

That reasoning is idiotic. It's like saying we should have no peace process because it pisses of a few dissidents.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The level of immaturity on this thread is shocking.

I know this is after hours but really calling a 86 year old lady a cxnt and a parasite and suggesting she be raped by every man in Ireland and/or blown up(among other things) is going way too far imo.

Lads the occupation ended decades ago, it's time to grow up and move on. Not to mention she became Queen after it ended. Get a grip folks.

If she wants to visit then more power to her. Although if this is the kind of ridiculous response she's going to get then for her own safety she might be better off not.

I wonder whether if Obama or Merkle or Sarkozy or Berlusconi announced a State vist would any one make such childish comments?

K-9 wrote: »
    That reasoning is idiotic. It's like saying we should have no peace process because it pisses of a few dissidents.

Huh? No connection at all.

Having a carriage of the British Queen down O'Connell st is going to provoke violence, its bloody common sense it will. Those that do not see that are endangering citizens just like the last extreme loyalist march in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

She can come to Northern Ireland any time she wants. :) I think the majority of Irish people in the Republic have moved on really. Hopefully she visits and then comes to N.I to meet her loyal following.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Huh? No connection at all.

Having a carriage of the British Queen down O'Connell st is going to provoke violence, its bloody common sense it will. Those that do not see that are endangering citizens just like the last extreme loyalist march in 2006.

No, the morons who do the violence are endangering citizens.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Me? Yes, you irritate the average Irish person like me as you do not embrace our nation state but instead embrace our Unionist cousins flag.

I'm both a Belgian and Irish citizen, if I were to walk around wearing a Belgian flag instead of an Irish one would you be as angry?

Unionist cousins? Though the majority of the people in the U.K were on the unionists side at the time, some still weren't and I'm pretty sure a lot of them, from either side, don't really care much any more.

K-9 wrote: »
    No, the morons who do the violence are endangering citizens.

Thought they were thick?

Our intelligent agencies know well they cannot withstand any violence by thousands of skangers within Dublin City nevermind die-hard dissidents who decide to riot.

I'd expect you as a Donegal resident do not realise the extent of the scum problem with Dublin city who will find any excuse like a British Queens visit down our main street to destroy the place.

storm2811 wrote: »
    I'm both a Belgian and Irish citizen, if I were to walk around wearing a Belgian flag instead of an Irish one would you be as angry?

No. Belgium never invaded and violently oppressed Ireland.
    storm2811 wrote: »
    Unionist cousins? Though the majority of the people in the U.K were on the unionists side at the time, some still weren't and I'm pretty sure a lot of them, from either side, don't really care much any more.

The ordinary Joe and Jane in Britain do not give a flying f**k about Unionists in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

No. Belgium never invaded and violently oppressed Ireland.

The ordinary Joe and Jane in Britain do not give a flying f**k about Unionists in NI.
    So what? A lot people in N.I are as British as they are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement