Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai prepare plan for Queen's arrival

Options
  • 03-10-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-prepare-plan-for-queens-arrival-2362710.html

By JIM CUSACK

Sunday October 03 2010

GARDAI are preparing for their biggest security operation since the visit of Pope John Paul for Queen Elizabeth II's visit next year.

The date of the visit is not known but high-level discussions between British security services, police and the Garda Siochana have taken place.

The Queen's visit has been preliminarily scheduled to mark the completion of the peace process and establishment of the power-sharing assembly at Stormont.

The final leg of the transfer of powers over policing and justice took place in March, and it had been agreed by both governments that following this there would be a historic first visit by the British monarch to mark the completion of the settlement after more than 30 years of Troubles in Northern Ireland.

There has been persistent speculation about the visit but it has only now emerged that gardai have been instructed to prepare for the massive operation to ensure the visit goes off efficiently and peacefully.

The visit will also mark the centenary of the last royal visit to Ireland, that of the Queen's grandfather, King George V, in 1911.

Planning has already begun under Commissioner Fachtna Murphy, whose retirement, originally due in December, is to be deferred so as to ensure continuity of management of the event.

Unlike the Papal visit in September 1979, the visit of a British monarch carries potentially serious security risks from republican terror groups. The dissident republican groups are, however, riven with internal disputes both north and south of the Border.

- JIM CUSACK

Sunday Independent

Looks like the Queen will be paying us a visit in 2011. Is it right that we should have to pay for a massive security operation for this visit when our country is struggling financially?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Queen have been awful since Freddie died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

If the Pope visited would you complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Here we go again.......:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

galwayrush wrote: »

Yeah, paying for something we can't afford and don't really want

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Superbus wrote: »

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

I understand that we can't scupper a visit without looking like backward-looking tw*ts, but I don't think the entertainment value of the typical insults her husband (assuming he tags along) will throw about is worth the cash.

She's England's parasite, let them foot the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭Riddle101

As a country who is expecting the arrival of a foreign diplomat(especially one such as the Queen) we are expected to provide security for the benefit of said person. While she will most likely be accomanied by her own security it's only fitting that we provide our own for her as well.

Is it right, well I don't know but I reckon it's for the best. There are still a lot of people over here who still hold grudges, is it enough to threaten her safety? well time will tell.

It's not really Queen anymore though is it? it's just Brian May and Roger Taylor, along with Paul Rogers now. For me Queen will always be Mercury, May, Taylor and Deacon and nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

She can stay the **** away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I hope the Gardai call on this guy for advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

galwayrush wrote: »

Yep, we certainly do.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

RonMexico wrote: »
    I hope the Gardai call on this guy for advice

Shirley you're not serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Cool, I hope they do a raffle where 1 citizen of the state randomly gets to have dinner with her. If I was picked I'd use a dessert spoon to eat soup!!!

That'd show her!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"Gardai draught massive overtime plan to compensate for fall in rental income"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I don't mind if she comes over if she pays for it. It's a financial issue at this point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

JohnathanM wrote: »
    I understand that we can't scupper a visit without looking like backward-looking tw*ts...

We can just crouch down under the sofa when she calls. she'll get tired eventually. just wait for her to fuck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I know the preparing I would do for the old cnut...:mad::mad::mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

This is gonna be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Nolanger wrote: »
    If the Pope visited would you complain?

I am sure many would. You may have missed some of the headlines on the news over the last while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

We could kidnap her for a large ransom.

Oh wait Charlie wouldn't agree to pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

bryaner wrote: »
    Let her visit, but she has to be face fcuked by every man in the country.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

If it means the English Queen comes here, peace has been TOO high a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I don't mind if she comes over if she pays for it. It's a financial issue at this point.

So what's the alternative? Make the British monarchy pay our police force to cover her visit.. or give the Gardai the day off and allow her to bring British officers with her to keep rule while she's here? I doubt those things would go down well either tbh!

I'd rather she didn't visit.. don't see much point in it other than for posterity and a sign of how we've moved on. Ironic when it's likely to stir up disagreement really. She is not a political figure, and her visit should not be a state event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Expect a lot of protests etc, the last thing this country needs is to be spending money for that woman to visit here.

I know I will protest that visit, one of the few things I feel strong enough about to actually get me off the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

Wonder will the cement lorry pay a visit. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Annoying that we have to pay but other than that who gives a fu*k?

Is she demanding that we give up the Republic to the UK? It's a fu*king visit. It's not as if she's planning on bombing us or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Annoying that we have to pay but other than that who gives a fu*k?

Is she demanding that we give up the Republic to the UK? It's a fu*king visit. It's not as if she's planning on bombing us or something.

That's what she wants you to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

That's what she wants you to think.

Shush! I was told I'd get to stay on the dole if I tried to convince people she was purely here not to bomb us.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Expect a lot of protests etc, the last thing this country needs is to be spending money for that woman to visit here. .

I've a son in the Defence Dept in the UK, refused to raise the Union Jack over thier own building in London, where he was a new employee [porter]. They gave him different duties.

In Ireland, totally stuff the Queen, don't ANYONE turn up, deserted Ireland policy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement