Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai prepare plan for Queen's arrival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ah OP

There are many Queens in Europe.
    Netherlands for example

Yeah, most will assume you mean United Kingdom and they would be correct.
    But realy, she is not "the Queen"

There didn't seem to be the need to clarify this issue when the visit was announced!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 arid

She is known as the Queen in pretty much all the rest of the english-speaking world, no? Don't really see the problem there. Only since 1949 it wasn't our monarch too, remember. :eek:

As for the cost, well it is a head of state. Would you be complaining if it was the Emperor of Japan. Some things just cost money, it's the way it is. It'll probably be very low key and we can hopefully get over it and move on. Really it's recognising our independence, this a visit between two heads of state.

Anyway I'm not really a fan of the whole idea of monarchies but she is actually pretty inoffensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

notice how the media all around the world now refer to terrorist movements as "terror groups"

strange that.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

arid wrote: »
    As for the cost, well it is a head of state. Would you be complaining if it was the Emperor of Japan.

No, but I'm sure Koreans would put the people in this topic to shame if and when the Emperor visited them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I'd have tight security alright.

The Romas are definitely bound to go for her priceless crown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

"Gardai prepare plan for Queen's arrival"

What Queen, Denmark, Spain, Sweden ? :rolleyes:

Oh now, sorry of course you support english football, buy english newspapers, watch english TV and probably don't see the reason to have a Republic at all.

So for you "The Queen" is the same as if you were living in London wiv a cockney accent innit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Not only am I from Ireland but I am Irish and "the Queen" would never occur in a real life conversation in my part of Ireland. Then again I'm not a cultureless Dublin knacker who is obsessed with the British garrison game or who'd be undereducated enough to buy any newspaper owned by Sir Anthony O Reilly with contributors such as Eoghan Harris, Ruth Dudley Edwards and Kevin Myers.

"The Queen" my arse. Plebs.

So the many Americans who refer to her as "the Queen" are cultureless Dublin knackers who are obsessed with the British garrison game and/or regularly buy the Irish Independent? Good to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

arid wrote: »
    She is known as the Queen in pretty much all the rest of the english-speaking world, no? Don't really see the problem there. Only since 1949 it wasn't our monarch too, remember. :eek:

As for the cost, well it is a head of state. Would you be complaining if it was the Emperor of Japan. Some things just cost money, it's the way it is. It'll probably be very low key and we can hopefully get over it and move on. Really it's recognising our independence, this a visit between two heads of state.

Anyway I'm not really a fan of the whole idea of monarchies but she is actually pretty inoffensive.

That damn Hirohito won't be in this country while there's still breath in my body!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

TheUsual wrote: »
    "Gardai prepare plan for Queen's arrival"

What Queen, Denmark, Spain, Sweden ? :rolleyes:

Oh now, sorry of course you support english football, buy english newspapers, watch english TV and probably don't see the reason to have a Republic at all.

So for you "The Queen" is the same as if you were living in London wiv a cockney accent innit.

And you've posted this in the Queen's English:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why doesn't she just go back to Germania?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

The only reason we'll have such a massive security bill is because some politically and socially neanderthal sections of the Republican community will wish to do her harm on her visit. Blame them for the bill, not her. She's the head of state of out nearest neighbour for God's sake. If we're really such a mature democracy, we should have no problem facilitating her visit. Some people need to grow up a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd sooner have her visit than the pope.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Take her up to Monto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

flynnlives wrote: »
    notice how the media all around the world now refer to terrorist movements as "terror groups"

strange that.

I think "movement" suggests they might actually have some tiny justification in doing what they do. Western Media can't be spreading crazy ideas like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Einhard wrote: »
    The only reason we'll have such a massive security bill is because some politically and socially neanderthal sections of the Republican community will wish to do her harm on her visit. Blame them for the bill, not her. She's the head of state of out nearest neighbour for God's sake. If we're really such a mature democracy, we should have no problem facilitating her visit. Some people need to grow up a bit.
    TBH there will be a huge bill anyways, even if someone we all loved visited. A huge amount of money was spent on the popes visit wasn't it?

If it was not republicans sure it would be Bin Ladin.

The bill is her fault because if she did not come here we wouldn't have to pay it, and tbh we cant really afford it.

Yes, she is head of state and the head of an armed force which under her reign have committed barbaric acts in her name on this island. She then proceeded to give these men honors.

She can go fcuk herself if she thinks I will be rolling out the red carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 walkthisway

One could say much the same about the USA, and yet we still have a close relationship with them.

Its about time she paid us a visit, I doubt there would be much opposition apart from a few uneducated republicans and and petty commoners looking for an excuse to have a go at an garda siochana and burn a few cars.

Its our Government that want her to come.....get over it...she can pop into my house for a cuppa anyday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Sonz wrote: »
    Wonder will the cement lorry pay a visit. :pac:

Hopefully it does and we can get Mythbusters to make a few alterations, that would give the cxnt a proper Irish welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

This thread is full of all kinds of crazy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Mussolini more or less said all i think on the subject, i agree she is head of state of a foreign country, but as a representative of that country which during her rule saw some of the harshest tactics employed within Ulster against native Irish people, how she expects to come here and not have some form of protests (preferably a peaceful one in my opinion) against her is beyond me.

No doubt despite republican objections (and others might object to for reasons not to do with republicanism) this visit will unfortunately go ahead. Not only is it insensitive to visit when she has not apologised for her armed forces actions and indeed her past governments actions, the bill of this alone at a time like this is going to be too much. If the Pope came here im sure there would be objections by the anti-church section also.

I think if she must visit this country then a low key affair is in order, if they expect her to be paraded past the GPO for example to a welcome crowd, and then a riot ensues and the security in this country acts shocked (as they did for the love Ulster riot when they agreed to low security through basically a building site on o Connell street) then i give up. I don’t think it should be seen as a joyous occasion waving union jacks and welcoming her with open arms.

Imperialism belongs in the stone age, the idea of a monarch in general disgusts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

The worst thing about a visit would be having to listen to all the usual pricks in the media going on about how we 'matured' as a nation for having her here and all the other guff they'd be coming out with. If it does happen there shouldn't be any protests as we could end up with a repeat of the 2006 riots when we had to spend the next week listening about how the bigots in Love Ulster were poor little innocent victims.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Bring her to the real capital, Cork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

CorkMan wrote: »
    Bring her to the real capital, Cork.

Come on now, we don't like her, however torturing an old lady like her is going a bit far. She'd probably die when she heard the Cark accent, if she didn't get swallowed up in the tidal wave of bullsh1t about winning an All-Ireland by 1 measly point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Stinicker wrote: »
    Come on now, we don't like her, however torturing an old lady like her is going a bit far. She'd probably die when she heard the Cark accent, if she didn't get swallowed up in the tidal wave of bullsh1t about winning an All-Ireland by 1 measly point.

:eek:WOW, you still bitter about that!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Its way too much hassle than its worth. It will be another excuse for the skanger community to wreck our city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Stinicker wrote: »
    Hopefully it does and we can get Mythbusters to make a few alterations, that would give the cxnt a proper Irish welcome.

848 pounds of ANFO confined in a readymix lorry. Damned impressive bang.
    I'm going to walk the other way if I see one of those things, just in case.

848 pounds of ANFO confined in a readymix lorry. Damned impressive bang.
    I'm going to walk the other way if I see one of those things, just in case.

A blast that big would flatten half the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭celtic Liger

hopefully its similar to the love ulster parade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wow, what a mature and intelligent thing to say.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

As a Republic we should not be encouraging the woman. By all means have a state visit by the democratically elected head of GB, David Cameron. We should not welcome a parasite with nothing to offer

• Advertisement

I think it'd be more a symbol that we've moved on more than anything else. She is little more than a figurehead in modern Britain but I think a visit would be highly symbolic.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement