Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai prepare plan for Queen's arrival

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

As a Republic we should not be encouraging the woman. By all means have a state visit by the democratically elected head of GB, David Cameron. We should not welcome a parasite with nothing to offer

were you out protesting in 2006 when King Harald of Norway came to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I think it'd be more a symbol that we've moved on more than anything else. She is little more than a figurehead in modern Britain but I think a visit would be highly symbolic.

She does not represent anything modern, that is the point. The monarchy is more at home in feudal times. I would welcome a state visit by Cameron but not her or her kin. They don't belong in the 21st century

No I wasn't out protesting then and is highly unlikely I will be next year either but I don't think either should be welcomed here. Is that ok with you buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Do the English Queens security forces that will accompany her have any powers over here?

Or are they just like any toursit in our country with the same rights as the rest of us?

Can they arrest us? Restrain us? etc legally?

What way does that work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

How anyone can compare this to the Love Ulster parade is beyond me. The love Ulster parade was organised by a bunch of unionist extremists designed to provoke and prod the Irish people, don't forget it was FF that originally APPROVED the love Ulster parade, So the real morons are the Irish government for letting that sham of a parade go ahead (at least they learned their lesson and prevented any further parades from taking place).

As for the Queens visit, I agree that it should be low key as it would provoke protests which could turn nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

She does not represent anything modern, that is the point. The monarchy is more at home in feudal times. I would welcome a state visit by Cameron but not her or her kin. They don't belong in the 21st century

She is just a head of state. Granted the monarchy may not be modern but they are still there nontheless. I honestly can't see the difference and anyone who would instigate violence against her is nothing more than a Neanderthal. It would probably be a good idea to play down the visit though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Do the English Queens security forces that will accompany her have any powers over here?

I don't know about what powers they'll have, but I do hope they wear those big furry hats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    TBH there will be a huge bill anyways, even if someone we all loved visited. A huge amount of money was spent on the popes visit wasn't it?
    I'm not sure what your point is there :pac:

No I wasn't out protesting then and is highly unlikely I will be next year either but I don't think either should be welcomed here. Is that ok with you buddy

Fine by me, but if why are you happy to welcome the PM but not the Monarch? Surely it should be all or nothing, I mean, its not like there is some big power struggle between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

The bill is her fault because if she did not come here we wouldn't have to pay it, and tbh we cant really afford it..

So all heads of state should stay at home? No to Obama, no to Putin, no to Jintao eh?
    Yes, she is head of state and the head of an armed force which under her reign have committed barbaric acts in her name on this island. She then proceeded to give these men honors.

Blah blah blah.
    She can go fcuk herself if she thinks I will be rolling out the red carpet

Don't flatter yourself. I doubt she gives a shit about your personal feelings.

• Advertisement

If it does happen there shouldn't be any protests as we could end up with a repeat of the 2006 riots when we had to spend the next week listening about how the bigots in Love Ulster were poor little innocent victims.

They were denied their right to free assembly. And denied it in a violent, undemocratic manner, by low life scum. As such, they were victims.

Fine by me, but if why are you happy to welcome the PM but not the Monarch? Surely it should be all or nothing, I mean, its not like there is some big power struggle between the two.

Simple obvious answer, one is the democratically elected leader of GB, the other a parasitic fossil placed into her position by birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Einhard wrote: »
    So all heads of state should stay at home? No to Obama, no to Putin, no to Jintao eh?

Apples and oranges.. the people you mentioned are political figureheads and having them visit opens up opportunities for Ireland. The Queen is in the same boat as Ratzinger or Gyatsu.. it may be a formal visit but it serves no purpose other than a ceremonial one

As a Republic we should not be encouraging the woman. By all means have a state visit by the democratically elected head of GB, David Cameron. We should not welcome a parasite with nothing to offer

So we should tell the monarchs of Japan, Spain and Norway to take a running jump too eh?

Yes we are a republic, why should we waste money having these people come to visit. It is an unnecessary trapping of wealth and privilege

Apples and oranges.. the people you mentioned are political figureheads and having them visit opens up opportunities for Ireland. The Queen is in the same boat as Ratzinger or Gyatsu.. it may be a formal visit but it serves no purpose other than a ceremonial one

And a symbolic one. As in symbolising that we are actually a mature nation, and not one still dragged down by the millstone of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Not unless she apologises!

Yes we are a republic, why should we waste money having these people come to visit. It is an unnecessary trapping of wealth and privilege

So it's nothing to do with the fact that she's a BRITISH monarch, and all to do with your disdain for inherited positions eh? How noble of you comrade. I'll let you know next time Akihito of Japan is over so we can protest together.

You got some some of chip on your shoulder or something? yes I am a republican and have little warmth for any monarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

And a symbolic one. As in symbolising that we are actually a mature nation, and not one still dragged down by the millstone of history.

Symbolic to whom? And seeing it as a symbol of how we've moved on and matured as a nation is indicative of the idea that history is still what determines our opinions on these things. Not everyone who isn't pushed on the idea of her visit is caught up in the history.

• Advertisement

Symbolic to whom?

To anyone with a functioning mind. It's symbolic of the fact that we're mature enough to accept a visit by the head of state of our nearest neighbour.
    Not everyone who isn't pushed on the idea of her visit is caught up in the history.

I'm not advocating that she be welcomed by the entire country, just that we've surely rewached a stage where she can be accorded the same reception as any other head of state. And sorry, but most people who oppose her visit are caught up in history. Unless they oppose a) visits by all heads of state or b) visits by all hereditary monarches.

Simple obvious answer, one is the democratically elected leader of GB, the other a parasitic fossil placed into her position by birth.

What position? As the head of state for a country that is happy having a democratic monarchy?
    What gives Ireland the right to dictate to fellow democracies how they should and shouldn't run their countries?

You got some some of chip on your shoulder or something?

It's like raaaaiiiiinnnn on your wedding day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Given that the average Paddy supports an English football team, is hooked on UK Soaps, shops in Tesco’s, reads English red tops

What possible objection could ye have to a 86 year old woman coming over to have a look see

Can ye keep Biffo off the Sauce, whilst she is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Given that the average Paddy supports an English football team, is hooked on UK Soaps, shops in Tesco’s, reads English red tops

What possible objection could ye have to a 86 year old woman coming over to have a look see

Can ye keep Biffo off the Sauce, whilst she is there?

really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Einhard wrote:
    They were denied their right to free assembly. And denied it in a violent, undemocratic manner, by low life scum. As such, they were victims.

Extremists should not be allowed to march anywhere in my view.

Quoting maturity BS fails your argument.

On another note, a protest could be hijacked not by extremists but by an angry populace having a go at the authorities for bankrupting the country, it could be the spark to get people off their arses to protest.

I just doubt the Gardai have the ability to manage civil disobedience after the fiasco of 2006.

gurramok wrote: »
    Extremists should not be allowed to march anywhere in my view.

And who decides on who is an extremist? You? I think those erigi people are pretty extremist. Should I be allowed to withdraw their right to free assembly?

Quoting maturity BS fails your argument.

Getting all worked up about the visit of an 86 year old head of state from a country with whom we're at peace fails our nation.

And who decides on who is an extremist? You? I think those erigi people are pretty extremist. Should I be allowed to withdraw their right to free assembly?

No. You obviously do not know who the extremists are in your limited knowledge of NI. Their right to free assembly should be abolished for the sake of keeping the peace.
    Getting all worked up about the visit of an 86 year old head of state from a country with whom we're at peace fails our nation.

Hardly any protested when Blair & Brown were PM's.

We're at peace with the USA and yet thousands protested at the last Bush visit.

gurramok wrote: »
    No. You obviously do not know who the extremists are in your limited knowledge of NI. Their right to free assembly should be abolished for the sake of keeping the peace.

Ah right, you have no idea who I am or where I'm from, but you know me well enough to make assumptions about my knowledge of the North. That's a pretty neat trick. As for the other part, they were engaged in peaceful march. You may advocate the abolition of free assembly and free speech, but I'm not so flippant with basic civil rights. And, as I seem to remember, it wasn't the Love Ulster contingent who trashed o'Connell St. but "nationalist" scum.

BTW, do you believe erigi and the like should have their rights withdrawn in a similar fashion?

We're at peace with the USA and yet thousands protested at the last Bush visit.

They protested because of the policies he instituted, not simply because of the position he held.

• Advertisement

Ah right, you have no idea who I am or where I'm from, but you know me well enough to make assumptions about my knowledge of the North. That's a pretty neat trick. As for the other part, they were engaged in peaceful march. You may advocate the abolition of free assembly and free speech, but I'm not so flippant with basic civil rights. And, as I seem to remember, it wasn't the Love Ulster contingent who trashed o'Connell St. but "nationalist" scum.

BTW, do you believe erigi and the like should have their rights withdrawn in a similar fashion?

It was not "nationalist" scum that rioted. It was a skanger fest. even non-nationals were arrested that day.

Do Eirigi provoke violent opposition? Don't think there has ever been a protest at their protests?

Public order should be taken into account when approving marches that can provoke violent opposition. Pretty standard fare you should know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement