Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai prepare plan for Queen's arrival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

gurramok wrote: »
    It was not "nationalist" scum that rioted. It was a skanger fest. even non-nationals were arrested that day..

I know. That's why I put nationalist in inverted commas.
    Do Eirigi provoke violent opposition? Don't think there has ever been a protest at their protests?

Oh right. So people should have their rights curtailed based on the fact that others engage in acts of criminality as a means of stating their disagreement with their views. What a wonderful concept. So all the scumbags have to do when they want to shut a particular group up, is to go on a violent rampage, and hey presto, the group will have their rights curtailed. What wonderful logic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Love Ulster parade should never have been let go ahead, fact! They have no place marching down O Connell Street, same as they don’t through nationalist areas, but they do and trouble ensues. I don’t agree with the riot that year in Dublin, but anybody who thought it was going to be peaceful lives in a dream world.

Same goes for the British Monarch, she doesn’t deserve to be paraded through any street within the Republic of Ireland (id extend it to the whole island but people will just try point out the NI is in the UK, which unfortunately it is), if she does get paraded through the streets of ROI then protests are justified, peaceful ones though, but we know the peace wont last unfortunately. Shes a useless relic of the past, represents a horrible era in this countries history, and is the head of armed forces which have acted as terrorists in this island.

I don’t agree with the riot that year in Dublin, but anybody who thought it was going to be peaceful lives in a dream world.

That's like blaming a rape victim for the fact that she was wearing a short skirt. Love Ulster were entirely within their rights to stage a march, as you and I would be also. The scum who vandalised o'Connell ST tried to deny them their right, and you would do likewise. The only difference is the process involved. I'd rather not have civil liberties accorded on such a subjective basis.
    Same goes for the British Monarch, she doesn’t deserve to be paraded through any street within the Republic of Ireland (id extend it to the whole island but people will just try point out the NI is in the UK, which unfortunately it is)

First off, she won't be paraded through the streets of Ireland. She'll be accorded much the same reaction as any other head of state. As, for example the German chancellor would get in Jerusalem. I for one will be lining the route she passes with my little Union jack, not because I'm particularly fond of her or her country, but just to piss the narrow minded natioanlists off.
    , if she does get paraded through the streets of ROI then protests are justified, peaceful ones though, but we know the peace wont last unfortunately.

And anyone who causes a peaceful protest to degnerate into violence should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Protest if you want. It's your right. But don't try to curtail the rights of others just because you happen to disagree with them.
    Shes a useless relic of the past, represents a horrible era in this countries history, and is the head of armed forces which have acted as terrorists in this island.

She's the head of state of our nearest neighbout, largest trading partner, and a nation with which we share huge cultural similarities.

Einhard wrote: »
    that's liek blaming a rape victim for the fact that she was wearing a short skirt. Love Ulster were entirely within their rights to stage a march, as you and I would be also. The scum who vandalised o'Connell ST tried to deny them their right, and you would do likewise. The only difference is the process involved. I'd rather not have civil liberties accorded on such a subjective basis.

No common sense should have prevailed and the Gardai should have known this march is to simply provoke people. Common sense would tell me not to allow an OO march through the nationalist areas within Ulster in order to avoid trouble, save money and save people from being injured. Common sense sadly doesn’t prevail and we are left with this scumbag organisation the OO shoving their sectarian sh*te down peoples throats. Like i said i don’t agree with a violent riot like that year, but i wasn’t surprised it happened.

First off, she won't be paraded through the streets of Ireland. She'll be accorded much the same reaction as any other head of state. As, for example the German chancellor would get in Jerusalem. I for one will be lining the route she passes with my little Union jack, not because I'm particularly fond of her or her country, but just to piss the narrow minded natioanlists off.

There you go provoking trouble, i don’t want to hear from you if somebody starts a row with you, go looking for trouble and you probably will find it.

And anyone who causes a peaceful protest to degnerate into violence should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Protest if you want. It's your right. But don't try to curtail the rights of others just because you happen to disagree with them.

I agree people can protest peacefully, its what i said, and again i said unfortunately there will be trouble, ie i don’t want there to be but no doubt there will be. Dont talk to me about rights though, the Queen nor her government or armed forces ever afforded irish people equal rights, she oversaw all the trouble during the last 40 odd years, its her uniform they wear when they deny native irish people their right to self determination, equal status for work, voting, social housing etc. Im aware most of this is on the road to recovery now with the progress we have but they denied people their rights for long enough.

She's the head of state of our nearest neighbout, largest trading partner, and a nation with which we share huge cultural similarities.

Yes and like i said above shes the head of a state which terrorised this land for how many years! I don’t get the whole ‘oh we are mature society’ shi*e people roll out when it comes to the UK, yes im aware we have alot of progress and my wish is it keeps getting better for all, but to expect people to not be annoyed over this is ridiculous. I for one am disgusted my hard earned tax money will go towards her protection.

There you go provoking trouble, i don’t want to hear from you if somebody starts a row with you, go looking for trouble and you probably will find it.

So if I wave a Union Jack and get assaulted, it's somehow my fault. God, I hope you're not a judge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

What position? As the head of state for a country that is happy having a democratic monarchy?
    What gives Ireland the right to dictate to fellow democracies how they should and shouldn't run their countries?

If Britain is happy with the antiquated system then fair enough for them, but why should we have an official state visit from her when what she represents is against the ideals of republicanism. We are a Republic and did away with that stupidity. Will leave you and your ilk to be her subjects

I for one am disgusted my hard earned tax money will go towards her protection.

I for one am disgusted that she needs so much protection. Disgusted thaat so called nationalists would wish to murder an 86 year old woman.

So if I wave a Union Jack and get assaulted, it's somehow my fault. God, I hope you're not a judge.

No but would common sense not tell you there are going to be stupid idiots at this looking for trouble, why would you wish to attract it?

Like for me, i love Celtic, and no not because im republican, i just happen to have supported that club since i was a young child and i don’t come from a republican family, but i also love going to Belfast and other parts of Ulster, but i don’t wear a celtic top because i don’t want to attract unwanted trouble, id hope to God you wouldn’t be attacked, but come on, you know there is idiots who the mere sight of say a union jack (or tri colour for other sides of the community) will give them the excuse they need to harm somebody.

Thats what i meant

If Britain is happy with the antiquated system then fair enough for them, but why should we have an official state visit from her when what she represents is against the ideals of republicanism. We are a Republic and did away with that stupidity. Will leave you and your ilk to be her subjects

So we should refuse visits from China then? I mean, it's an autocracy and surely offends our Republican and democratic sensibilities after all. And we'll be telling Spain and Norway that their heads of state aren't welcome either of course. In the name of our Republican spirit of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

What are the ideals of Republicanism, to consider themselves superior to people of other countries?

• Advertisement

Of course we should not be accepting state visits from China given its atrocious civil rights record. Monarchy from any country could come here as long as its on holidays and not on official visits. State visits should only be afforded to democratically elected heads of states. If you want to bow down to someone go right ahead, know your place boy

to consider themselves superior to people of other countries?

Now you are starting to grasp monarchy and your place in relation to it, very good

Of course we should not be accepting state visits from China given its atrocious civil rights record. Monarchy from any country could come here as long as its on holidays and not on official visits. State visits should only be afforded to democratically elected heads of states. If you want to bow down to someone go right ahead, know your place boy

So you do claim to be superior then? or just uber patronising?

Do you know anything of republicanism, the ill-gotten feelings of superiority belong to monarchies

Do you know anything of republicanism, the ill-gotten feelings of superiority belong to monarchies

I know what the basic concept of Republicanism is, after that, you can make it up to suit your own beliefs.

I'm not sure where in the manual it says that people not from republics should be mocked.

State visits should only be afforded to democratically elected heads of states. If you want to bow down to someone go right ahead, know your place boy

Who's bowing down to anyone? I don't really think it's our place to tell other nations how they choose their heads of state. Especially as our current one wasn't even elected to her second term.

Who's bowing down to anyone? I don't really think it's our place to tell other nations how they choose their heads of state. Especially as our current one wasn't even elected to her second term.

and is everybit the waste of space any other monarch is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

Rebelheart wrote: »
    And what "Queen" would that be? The one and only "Queen" on the planet? Is this the same "Queen" that Dutch people speak of? That Norwegians speak of? That Spaniards speak of?

Let me guess: of all these foreign monarch you mean the British queen when you say "the Queen"? Are you Irish, or merely Oirish?

Unsurprisingly given this mentality your source is the most trashiest pro-British/anti-Irish rag in all of the Oirish media (including The Sun and The News of the World), the Sunday Independent. Horrendous shít altogether.

What a rebel. *swoon*

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

I wonder will she meet our Queen.David Norris.:rolleyes::D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Oh right. So people should have their rights curtailed based on the fact that others engage in acts of criminality as a means of stating their disagreement with their views. What a wonderful concept. So all the scumbags have to do when they want to shut a particular group up, is to go on a violent rampage, and hey presto, the group will have their rights curtailed. What wonderful logic!

Its disturbing that you put the rights of extremists above public safety.

You be happy waving a union jack so we know what camp your in. Never crossed your mind to wave a tricoluour, the flag of our nation?

You must really be ashamed to be Irish.:mad::(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Well he was advocating the basic "don't be a retard" rule. You know, things like it is advisable to carefully pick your apparel before sauntering down the falls.
    I for one am disgusted that she needs so much protection. Disgusted thaat so called nationalists would wish to murder an 86 year old woman.
    Tell me, even if she was uber loved by all and not just by people like Myers, would she need as much protection? Yes she would. Sure the pope did, did he not? Cant blame republicans for that can you? If it was not republicans it would be Bin Ladin.

Do you even think that the dissies even have the capability to assassinate the old bag? Considering they struggle to make a working pipe bomb? Do they have the logistical ability to attack her? No they don't.

Personally as a republican I do not want to see some old woman dead, I would rather she would remain outside of this country.

Tell me, we got on grand trade wise with Britain for how long without a visit? What will this accomplish?

Why is she coming? Coming here to apologize for acts carried out by her armed forces on this island during her reign? To apologize for giving said scum honors?

It sickens me that people have such short memories. She is the head of Britains armed forces. They are still occupying this island. She gave the fcuking bloody sunday paras honors ffs, and you want to roll out the red carpet?

The only thing this visit will accomplish is to create a huge bill, and huge protests of which I will be part of. We do not need nor want her here. This proposed visit will have no positive outcome, I promise you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I wonder will she meet our Queen.David Norris.:rolleyes::D:P
    OMG! He's gay so you called him a girl! ROFLZ YOU'RE SO FUNNY! How long did it take to come up with a pun like that? :rolleyes::D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

And who decides on who is an extremist? You? I think those erigi people are pretty extremist. Should I be allowed to withdraw their right to free assembly?

Getting all worked up about the visit of an 86 year old head of state from a country with whom we're at peace fails our nation.

No. But they should not be allowed parade past the Omagh or Enniskillen bomb sites in black balaclavas, and if a civic government is too stupid to realise this and lets them, when the following inevitable hiding ensues I would not consider them innocent victims nor compare them to a girl wearing a short skirt being raped.

No. But they should not be allowed parade past the Omagh or Enniskillen bomb sites in black balaclavas, and if a civic government is too stupid to realise this and lets them, when the following inevitable hiding ensues I would not consider them innocent victims nor compare them to a girl wearing a short skirt being raped.
    As far as I know, Eirigi have no association with any armed group.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    It sickens me that people have such short memories. She is the head of Britains armed forces. They are still occupying this island.
    where?
    She gave the fcuking bloody sunday paras honors ffs, and you want to roll out the red carpet?

what, she gave them medals for what they did on Bloody Sunday, or did she give one of the officers a completely unrelated OBE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

As far as I know, Eirigi have no association with any armed group.

Sorry mate. Didn't mean to imply that they did. I was trying to get the analogy of parading in front of the G.P.O across to Einhard.

where?

I said "this island". It is not really that big, I am sure you can figure out.

what, she gave them medals for what they did on Bloody Sunday, or did she give one of the officers a completely unrelated OBE?

You think that in light of what they did it should still have been given?

A case of "you did grand up until you murdered all them people, so will will give you a medal for that, and shure we will say no more about them killings"'

Sorry mate. Didn't mean to imply that they did. I was trying to get the analogy of parading in front of the G.P.O across to Einhard.
    No problem. The 32 county solidarity movement would be a more suitable comparison perhaps.

I said "this island". It is not really that big, I am sure you can figure out.
    admittedly I haven't been to all of it, but I had a trip around the northern parts a while back and there was no army of occupation there as far as I could tell.

You think that in light of what they did it should still have been given?

A case of "you did grand up until you murdered all them people, so will will give you a medal for that, and shure we will say no more about them killings"'

With what we know now, no it shouldn't. But that's not my point, my point is more about your constant dramatisation of events.

• Advertisement

admittedly I haven't been to all of it, but I had a trip around the northern parts a while back and there was no army of occupation there as far as I could tell.

Notice the barracks? Soldier in there.

With what we know now, no it shouldn't. But that's not my point, my point is more about your constant dramatisation of events.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What we know NOW. FFS everyone knew all along. You mean with what has been ADMITTED now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement