Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC2011 (Design and communication graphics) - do NOT post images of exam material

Options
  • 02-09-2010 3:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭

Right lads, just got the auld brief for the Higher level project there and I'm just wondering what kinda things you's were plannin on addin on (modifications etc......) ? Share the wealth!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

Whats the brief?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

I thought the brief wasnt sent out until Halloween-ish? That was the case last year anyways!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

They changed it this year to now. Way better. I was under so much pressure last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭blacklionboy

so what is it this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

so what is it this year?

Sat Nav for HL and USB Key for OL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 like a ninja

ur joking me that they gave out the projects tis early(an extra 2 months then us last year) feckers,we were strapped for time last year spending nites in scholl till 8 some nites bt the craic wit te lads was great and our teacher was a legend bt i gt a a2 any way.:cool:

bit of advice wit the project try to get inspiration from some thing and develope around it CONCEPT worked for me, the boys in SEC love it:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

ur joking me that they gave out the projects tis early(an extra 2 months then us last year) feckers,we were strapped for time last year spending nites in scholl till 8 some nites bt the craic wit te lads was great and our teacher was a legend bt i gt a a2 any way.:cool:

bit of advice wit the project try to get inspiration from some thing and develope around it CONCEPT worked for me, the boys in SEC love it:pac:
    Welcome to Boards! :)

Please note that tztspeak is not welcome on this website, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

ur joking me that they gave out the projects tis early(an extra 2 months then us last year)

Deadline is now 15th Jan but considering Christmas Holidays are until the 10th Jan you might as well say deadline Dec 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 like a ninja

oh rite sorry about that

Good idea from experience is to get stuck into the project straight away,do a kind of draft at home.trust me makes it a way easier and dont leave it to the last minute,it can get very stressful towards the deadline and back up your information!!!:confused:

its wroth in the end the day ,40 pts

Your best off getting it done before christmas. Make sure you practice sketching asap. I'd imagine it would be difficult to make a SatNav look good as they are so simple in design. An unusual choice.

Here is some advice I would loved to have known while doing the project. All the material you do for Microsoft Word does NOT go onto the digital file at the end of the project, therefore the department doesn't know if you've done it in school or not. So after you have all your research done and the general layout of your project worked out, you should concentrate on only doing solidworks in school. Also, in solidworks you have to name every modification, every part, every chamfer, fillet, blah blah blah. i.e fillet to round the edges of the front face. I was only told this after I was finished solidworks and had to rename everything. Make sure you name everything before copying the artefact for modifications. Otherwise everything has to be named twice. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I was awful at DCG and this project was the bane of my life last year. Usually people put up insanely good renders of their projects on boards so I'll look forward to that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Sat nav sounds pretty handy tbh

but for a design modification god love ye - give it robotic legs so it can dance to entertain you when it guides you into bad traffic...

or put a radio or cd player in it :pac: i dunno...

that's an easy one to design but the research is going to be hard seeing as there only about 5-10 years old max... not a whole lot of change since they came out either so...

I can't see what modification you could really do tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Have a quick question :

Let's say for the history part,could you all that on computer and print it out (not from a school computer) ? Or do you have to give them that file and could they see it wasn't made from the school computer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 coxy 132

i also starting do this project
    where the best place of history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

coxy 132 wrote: »
    i also starting do this project
    where the best place of history?
    What I've done is go back as far as the time with compass's ,maps,sextants etc and build a timeline from there up as far as the sat nav :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    Have a quick question :

Let's say for the history part,could you all that on computer and print it out (not from a school computer) ? Or do you have to give them that file and could they see it wasn't made from the school computer ?

Anyone :)?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

You would definetly be better off having it done before christmas even if it does eat into your study for christmas exams. Last year there were some late nights in the school working on the project and it was eating into my time to study for the Pres (Mocks) which were in a week so as others have been saying, get straight into the project and try and complete it as soon as you can!

Good luck with it!
    Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

You're all so lucky to have the brief early this year!The deadline right before the mocks last year caused me nightmares! It's worth doing right though,and early because people tend to not realise how long the sketching is going to take.which is ages. I failed the mocks dreadfully purely on my drawing. and then got an A2 in the real thing,definatly due to my project.Rant over.Good luck with it everyone!

You have to print out everything in a portfolio and give a scanned copy of it, you don't have to give them any files of writing, only solidwork and drawing files.Don't know if thats the answer to you're question sorry!

I think this project is much harder than what we had last year. SatNav's are much simpler than game controllers, which makes them harder to talk about. Although they are easier to design it'll be harder to pick up marks in the solidworks section as there are very little parts as most are touch screen.

Anyone :)?

You can do that anywhere as they don't require the files. However I don't see why you can't just do it at home and bring it into school via your USB and print it from there. Make sure they haven't changed the system first though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

Would someone please put up the text of the actual breif please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LcLk

Have a quick question :

You should do the actual solidworks parts and assemblies in school, but for the rest of the project, like the histroy and other written parts you do have to give them a digital copy of it but in pdf format. You can do that part at home in say ms word as long as you convert it to pdf in school using a different program, that way they can't trace you, and I'm pretty sure they don't really care anyway, I did a lot of solidworks at home last year and I know people who even shared computers on which they did the solidworks...

Best of luck to all you people with the project, I'd advise you to include in the history of the sat nav maybe how it works, satellites etc...
    and for the modification part say you were inspired by an every day object, say a watch or cd player and work from there.

Also everyone who did their project last year should maybe upload thumbnails of their work to give everyone some guidelines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joyle

yes some thumbnails would be very helpful!!

should we include history because it doesnt say it in the brief?

Here is mine from last year. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joyle

Here is mine from last year. Hope this helps
    what did you get if u dont mind me askin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 b984jf93h

It would be good if people posted (pictures of their) ideas for the project on this. I think it's the toughest one yet - it doesn't leave too much room for creativity - but I'm looking forward to the challenge of it.

joyle wrote: »
    what did you get if u dont mind me askin?

I was graded an A1 in school for the project. I suck at the TD side and got B3 in the LC, I though I got a C3 so my project was definitely an A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gowayuwilya

LcLk wrote: »
    You should do the actual solidworks parts and assemblies in school, but for the rest of the project, like the histroy and other written parts you do have to give them a digital copy of it but in pdf format. You can do that part at home in say ms word as long as you convert it to pdf in school using a different program, that way they can't trace you, and I'm pretty sure they don't really care anyway, I did a lot of solidworks at home last year and I know people who even shared computers on which they did the solidworks...

Best of luck to all you people with the project, I'd advise you to include in the history of the sat nav maybe how it works, satellites etc...
    and for the modification part say you were inspired by an every day object, say a watch or cd player and work from there.

Also everyone who did their project last year should maybe upload thumbnails of their work to give everyone some guidelines ?

Im pretty sure they do care...whatever about telling other posters its ok to do design/research n mod research at home please DO NOT tell them its ok to do solidworks at home,you will be lose marks..trust me!I have an image of completed sat nav(draft) and will post up whenever I get priveliges to do so.Best of luck to all and even if the sat nav seems easier than last years controller remember the devil(marks) are in the detail.

Advertisement