Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC2011 (Design and communication graphics) - do NOT post images of exam material

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mayoman10

Hey first time poster here,

What are the five parts everyone plans on doing? That's what has me stumped :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mayoman10

How's everyone's project coming along? Have yet to start myself.

I'm doing Higher Level so it's the Sat Nav for me and I have a few questions on it.

Here's the brief in case anyone needs to have their memories jogged!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.t4.ie/DCG_Documents/DCG%2520Student%2520Assignment%25202011(EV).pdf&pli=1

Can the entire project be typed out?

Is the only thing to be done in pencil just a few sketches?

What are the 5 parts everyone is doing?

What modifications are you making to your Sat Nav?

Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone with their projects!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Mayoman10 wrote: »
    Hey first time poster here,

What are the five parts everyone plans on doing? That's what has me stumped :confused:

Well I've started my existing design, and I chose a satnav with a shell and seperate glass panel around the screen. This means that I have the case, glass panel, LCD screen, 2 bumper/speaker things, and buttons. I'm also going to try give the mount at least two pieces so this gives me an ample amount of parts. You don't need to make the satnav itself complex though. Try get a hold of a mount or look up pictures. You could easily get 5 parts alone out of the mount with suction cups, screws, and hinges and swivel joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joyle

surely the mounting device can also be a number of parts!

Yeah, as I said above.

What's better for the brief, typed or handdrawn? I'm referring to the brief in general, not sketches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

I dont even know where to begin to start the feckin yoke!:confused:

The Sat Nav I have seems only to be made out of one part cause there's no screws on the side to open it so I can get parts to draw so it looks like I'll have to get the 5 parts out of the mounting bracket which seems like a whure to draw on already!:mad:

I'd appreciate it if more of the people who have done their projects last year would upload there's here and give us an idea cause I haven't a notion what I'm doing..:(

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Here is mine from last year. Hope this helps
    I'm literally gonna copy everything you did there.. Thanks a mill for the upload cause I didn't know where I was going!:D

clonadlad wrote: »
    I'm literally gonna copy everything you did there.. Thanks a mill for the upload cause I didn't know where I was going!:D

Just be careful not to completely rip off the layout because I'm sure there will be at least one savvy examiner who checks up on this thread. Chances are slim though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AKS

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Yeah, as I said above.

What's better for the brief, typed or handdrawn? I'm referring to the brief in general, not sketches.

I can't understand how is it possible to have typed writing throughout the brief - for example, in output 3, do you have to print out the text first and then sketch? Vice versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

hey guys im new on this but only joining for dcg cause im stuck! my outputs 1 and 2 look like **** and im finding it hard to find out ways to better it. i didnt want to do much of a timeline for output 1 so i was hopin for some help!
    much appreciated!:D

• Advertisement

dont tell me your already on output 7 and 8? and if your not dont bother thinking about them.. concentrate on what your doing now

Geard wrote: »
    I wondering how you would go aboutdoing the history for the USB?? Any one??
    man id go back to floppy discs and how much better they are and go back to the 1st design of a usb and compare and contrart the changes! im doing the sat nav but just thought id give you an opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

haha....well i would assume to get the text (typed) onto the brief you would type out little bits/paragraphs and then cut them out and stick them onto your A3 pages with your sketches?! seems like the way you would roll if you want to put typed writing in your brief? i dont think ill bother because i can do neat handwriting if i take the time:p HELP with the timeline please??! who on earth made the 1st sat nav...i can find no history at all:confused: just give me all the history you got please;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 b984jf93h

I was told hand-writing is better, what do ye think? Also how much of it is sketching and on which pages? I was told that we can just print off all of the pictures for the first couple of pages anyway. I do Art so I'll have no bother with any of the sketching, and I'd prefer to do loads of sketching if it's good for getting marks. Do any past DCG students have any advice on this?

I was told hand-writing is better, what do ye think? Also how much of it is sketching and on which pages? I was told that we can just print off all of the pictures for the first couple of pages anyway. I do Art so I'll have no bother with any of the sketching, and I'd prefer to do loads of sketching if it's good for getting marks. Do any past DCG students have any advice on this?

my teacher is gone off having an operation:( but we have a UL graduate:p hes not that great!! but he said anyways that its our "scrapbook" really and we can put things in however we want as long as we have the vital things included of course. so as many sketches as you want in it. i do art aswel so im in the same boat:D but i dont think il waste my energy sketching for the history! erm....look at the pink pages...the outputs say if you NEED sketches on certain pages:)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭enaeknala1

Any suggestions on where to start with the history..?

Go back to compasses etc. or just stick to whats happened in the last 15 years or so..?

Cheers :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 b984jf93h

sligo. wrote: »
    my teacher is gone off having an operation:( but we have a UL graduate:p hes not that great!! but he said anyways that its our "scrapbook" really and we can put things in however we want as long as we have the vital things included of course. so as many sketches as you want in it. i do art aswel so im in the same boat:D but i dont think il waste my energy sketching for the history! erm....look at the pink pages...the outputs say if you NEED sketches on certain pages:)

Thanks, yeah I'll probably end up being lazy about sketches aswell seeing as I'm too lazy to look at the paper in detail! :D

haha i know, awh well:) i havnt started it at all yet:p grrrr...this history thing is just pissing me off like, any other thing like game controllers or mp3 players there is a HUGE history but like sat navs??...nothing?!:( i looked at old projects in our school, which sat navs are ye going to compare and contrast? oh and i want to know......if we have a whole new CONCEPT must we compare and contrast sat navs? becuase we wouldnt be drawing an existing sat nav on the solidworks, or would we? if you do a concept design do you have to draw an existing sat nav and then in part B design a whole new concept...please help i'm not sure:confused::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cathald04

sligo. wrote: »
    haha i know, awh well:) i havnt started it at all yet:p grrrr...this history thing is just pissing me off like, any other thing like game controllers or mp3 players there is a HUGE history but like sat navs??...nothing?!:( i looked at old projects in our school, which sat navs are ye going to compare and contrast? oh and i want to know......if we have a whole new CONCEPT must we compare and contrast sat navs? becuase we wouldnt be drawing an existing sat nav on the solidworks, or would we? if you do a concept design do you have to draw an existing sat nav and then in part B design a whole new concept...please help i'm not sure:confused::p

Yes you have to do two solidworks models, one in part a and the concept in part. Yes part a is an existing model with 5 or more parts,

Cathald04 wrote: »
    Yes you have to do two solidworks models, one in part a and the concept in part. Yes part a is an existing model with 5 or more parts,
    thank you very much! that clears everything up, a graduate from UL couldnt tell me that:p i suppose he has never had a class doing projects before. did you do it last year? or are you doing it this year? it would be nearly easier then just to do an existing model and modify it at the end? does the model have to look EXACTLY like the real model? or can you skip a few bits:o

• Advertisement

emm yeah i am doing it this year ! Yeah i would lean towards a concept more than a modification as with the concept you cant go to far wrong..

yeah cause its your own made up design i supose. but maybe its a lot more work than just a few modifications. it's like making a sat nav twice:confused:

enaeknala1 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on where to start with the history..?

Go back to compasses etc. or just stick to whats happened in the last 15 years or so..?

Cheers :-D

Don't think we need one. Then again, wouldn't hurt to include it. Try this

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Haven't got a clue about the comparison yet and I need to start/nearly finish this weekend.

Anyone any rough ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Conor98

Hey guys first post here to be honest, My head is spinning about this project i am a repeat leaving cert this year i have done the project last year on the games console controlers and i still don't have a clue what to do these year, Its a bad choice really i mean the sat nav is a product that isn't very interesting, it doesn't have much part ands its history is a blurr :(

A few things i did pick up along the way last year about the brief its self though is read it a few time and take it all in before you start
    Here some things about the out puts that might help

Out put 1: For the higher level students a time line or the history of the product isn't actually required it says "presentation of existing artefacts in graohic format", you don't need a time line you can have all modern ones in there! But one thing that i heard is don't just use all pictures off the internet use some sketch's even stick a picture in from a magizine show something different!

Out put 2:This is the one i find hardest my self the only advice i have here is find the two sat nav's thats functions and apperance is completely different don't pick two that look the same or you will be stumped for what to right.

Out put 3: This is a straight foward enough part just make sure you shade and colour you sketch this isn't just a sketch it has to be "rendered".

Out put 4: I'm a bit stumped as well on this i couldn't figure out what to do i was going to make 4 parts from the mount and 1 of the sat nav its self but after reading some post's i got some idea's so thanks to all who posted :) One thing i will say is if your using buttons or anything like that i wouldn't make a button and call it 1 part and then use another button thats only slightly different and call it another you'll lose marks.

Out put 5: Once you out put 4 is done this is a simple drag and click just play around with the layout try and few views but this is just a 20 minute job really.

Out put 6: This again isn't to hard of and out put once you already have the out put 4 done, just open up your drawing in what ever program your using (most will probably be photo view 360) its very simple drag the colour's click render and wait.

Out put 7: After out put 2 this i think is the hardest but i know for some its simple its all about imagination really any one doing art should be ok at this but i am mechanical and math mind concepts and modification aren't my thing only advice i really know here is throw down a few idea's don't put down 2 and use both put down 4 or 5 and pick the best 3 it shows more effort and more thought

Out put 8: This is basically out put 3 again but this time its either or your concept design or its using the modification you have decieded you'd use.

Out put 9: This out put is alot like out put 4 by now you should have the hang of solid works(or what ever program your using) Just make sure you leave your self enough time for this its the last section but i takes alot of time and carry's alot of mark so try not to run out of time

The only general advice left to say is on the small part like the sketch's and the one page out put's try and get them done and out of the way, you want them to look neat and nice but your going to need your time for the modeling and the concept/modification

Hope this helps sorry its such a long post but i hope its worth reading if any one has any Q's here is my e-mail and please feel free to mail me any advice or idea's as well because i have no idea what to do this year either :(Conorcruise@gmail.com

Yeah i was just about to post that in previous years it stated to do a timeline or development of the device so a timeline is not needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clo51

it says on the brief that you must investigate the physical form and the features of the sat nav....just wondering if the features means just like physical features like speakers, card slot holder,etc or could it be features like bluetooth, lane assist, traffic alerts etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Hey guys.

Starting on Output 1, and I've just completely blanked out. I have no idea what to do. Our teacher told us just to get a few pictures online (Google Images if we need to, just not from the first few pages of it) and make sure you have an older looking one, then a newer one, then a newer one still and so on. And then to have annotations to go with each picture. Is that the right way to go about it? If not, can somebody lead me onto the correct path?

Edit: He also said to include a sketch and a photo we take ourselves. Forgot to include that in my post.

clo51 wrote: »
    it says on the brief that you must investigate the physical form and the features of the sat nav....just wondering if the features means just like physical features like speakers, card slot holder,etc or could it be features like bluetooth, lane assist, traffic alerts etc?

Yes

• Advertisement

Hey guys.

Starting on Output 1, and I've just completely blanked out. I have no idea what to do. Our teacher told us just to get a few pictures online (Google Images if we need to, just not from the first few pages of it) and make sure you have an older looking one, then a newer one, then a newer one still and so on. And then to have annotations to go with each picture. Is that the right way to go about it? If not, can somebody lead me onto the correct path?

Edit: He also said to include a sketch and a photo we take ourselves. Forgot to include that in my post.

Check the T4 guide . Just scroll down to "Guide to the Student Assignment" heading and click on the brownish link. Some good info.

Advertisement