Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC2011 (Design and communication graphics) - do NOT post images of exam material

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Don't get you, post up a pic if you can tomorrow. You did notice the recess is also selected and therefore filleted?

I just meant that you know the cut that is along the sides.. If you make it deep enough an then fillet it, it will look perfectly as I want it to, however the depth of it would be different in compare to the other sides which are 0.1mm. It's kind of complicated.

Alright I spent half night trying to figure it out and I finally have it done.
    That's my output 4 done. I should fly through the rest of the project :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Flex123

Callaghan 1...Go back as far as sextants and all them forms of navigation,compass etc..just type Navigation devices or something along them lones into google. I can't get 6 hours straight in school. 1hr 40 min is the max in a row we ever have DCG for in school. I'm getting the detail on my Sat Nav done.I dont have a Sat Nav,I'm taking measurements from an online 3-D view which is really slowing me down.But Im 45% of the way there with my existing model...the modification should be a piece of cake,the mount how ever will be a b*tch I think...and a case...mated with the sat nav should be a piece of cake :] It's well worth the effort for 40% :D

I would seriously advise you against doing a modification. Its not as easy as you think. Or as straight forward.

Mods are much harder than new concepts. I'm as artistically challenged as you can get :( but have to admit i'm extremely good at SolidWorks (This was mostly due to not doing work on any other subject and spending 90% of all my study time on it.)

Not being arrogant but the reason i'm telling is because i had one of the best mods possible last year (put in PSP IWISH into google images, Its the slide one with a keyboard.)

It wouldn't have taken me long to do, a day or two. But in the end I didnt go forward with it. Done a new concept.

The reason im saying all this is not to brag but most people who do mods to worse than those who do new concepts.
    Mods have to be in detail studies of what the Sat Nav is lacking. How you discovered this absence. How you will design the new mod to improve on this weakness you found.
    You then need to make a detailed analysis of how the mod will work, how will it affect the Sat Nav. Ergonomics of the design have to be looked at. As well as Aesthetics.
    Materials used to make mod. Environmental affects of mod.
    You need at least three of these if not 4/5.
    Each on is to be looked at separately. Then as one piece.
    You have to sketch the design process of making the mod.
    (you can modify the mount I just said Sat Nav)

Modifications are NOT the easy way out. New Concept is.
    If you need help on how to do the New Concept send me a PM or check out my own thread as im barely on this one and would be a while before I reply.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056049264

There are reasons i say new concept is easier than Mods not just cause mods are hard anyway but there is a simple way to make 3/4 outstanding pages with little effort and can all be done at home (concept design)
    The Concept itself should take less than half a day.

I done the Project last year and seen so many people screw it up badly so im only trying to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

<images snipped>

My concept design hahaha..

I doubt i'm going to keep it though to be honest.

What do ye all think :cool: :pac:

RHunce wrote: »
    <images snipped>

All I can say about it is that it is unique. But how would you mount it in the car?

• Advertisement

Paczini wrote: »
    All I can say about it is that it is unique. But how would you mount it in the car?

Unique indeed :pac:

I doubt I'm going to keep it though to be honest and if i do, i'm redoing it.

If you look at the top pic there is a cut, his two front legs go on either side and there will be rubber on the bottom and this is acts as a suction cup.

What do ye all think? Please be BRUTALLY honest.

Unique indeed :pac:

I doubt I'm going to keep it though to be honest and if i do, i'm redoing it.

If you look at the top pic there is a cut, his two front legs go on either side and there will be rubber on the bottom and this is acts as a suction cup.

What do ye all think? Please be BRUTALLY honest.

oh I see. About the sat nav itself..
    in my opinion the examiner might think that there are no such changes to the sat nav itself but more are done to the bracket as it looks like if the sat nav was just put inside. That's the one thing that I would be worrying about. But the idea itself is great. You created something unique and that's what the examiner will be looking for.

Thanks man! I should have made myself clear, I got that done in a double class today. the satnav screen itself will be on a fish (because crocodiles eat fish i think :confused:). I just decided to throw the satnav in there last minute for the pictures :rolleyes:

So then it's gonna be alright.
    Are you making some changes to the sat nav itself or only its appearance?

i'm going to have to mods to the satnav itself also, i think thatshould be plenty :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I have all my sketches done and am ready to model my concept design but the existing design mount is killing me. I honestly don't know where to go about modelling, and the temporary mount I made for the satnav I modelled is horrible looking. What do I do, where can I get dimensions for a mount?

I'm just wondering. How many parts do you need for the new concept in SolidWorks?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

<images snipped>

You did this in a double class??:eek: I'm still on the actual sat nav, haven't even started the mount which looks impossible and haven't a clue about the new concept or mod yet... And the funny thing is I've don't the most in my class!

Just a note to everyone. The examiner will most not look at a real picture of what you modelled. So you can use any sat nav mount u want. And just try an make it look more like yours.
    PS u need 5 parts for the concept

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭DufferO8

im confused about outputs 7 & 8
    any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 inisog

Sample DCG projects from 2008 and 2009 are available here:

http://inisog.webs.com/apps/links/

Hopefully this helps. :)

As well as this there are also a couple of samples of Construction projects too.

Mise le meas,

InisÓg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gowayuwilya

Ian_K wrote: »
    My yoke at the moment;

<images snipped>
    Ian looks good so far dont forget to add fillets to all edges and try to make it realistic as possible, I may be wrong but the mount looks a bit "chunky". Photoworks 360 is good but the photoworks in solidworks allows you to add decals so you can put a screen shot of the sat nav interface on your modelled screen.

DufferO8 wrote: »
    any help?

check out my thread, its on tips and tricks on the project. Just put up a guide of how to do output 7 and 8.

DufferO8 wrote: »
    any help?

Page 1
    The first thing to do is choose a subject that interests you. Example could be sport (preferable choose something more original).
    Other examples of what i remember people choosing last year from my class include
    - buildings
    - cars
    - a certain architects work
    - a city
    - a religion
    - the moon (a VERY good choice, im serious)
    - Tour de France (The race)
    - Boats
    - nature
    - Anime
    Choose something that interests you. It can be anything at all. A certain type of sport, it can be money, drugs, a colour, a team, a type of plant, a solar system, a tv programme.

Just choose something at random which personally interests you.

Okay now what you do is make a mood board.
    Im attaching a mood board my little brother done for his J.C. woodwork brief last year. (Okay so i did put it together for him but it took me less than half an hour. Its a bit shabby but its J.C level. Your Mood Board should be Much better)

For your mood board go onto google images and search whatever your theme is. Copy and paste your pictures onto microsoft word.

(to move your pics around on Word, click on each individual picture, -> Format->Text Wrap->In Front of Text
    Now you can move the pics around and position them. Also putting a black border around each pic makes it nicer.)

Now your mood board should take up the whole page. You need at least 50 pictures, or the same that i put for my little bro.

That is one page out of output 7 down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Page 2
    On the next page the next page have the following headings
    Theme
    Target Market
    Location/Environment

IT is important that every heading is there.
    Write a line or two, very brief, under each one.
    Eg - Theme - Nature
    Target Market - Young adult drivers, mainly female. (or whoever your aiming your product at.)
    Message - (The Message you want to give people through your product, make a catchy phrase here)
    Key words - organic, fresh, clean, green, (words associated with the New concept, remember its maybe 7/8 words only here. Do not explain why you chose the words)
    Location/Environment - (Where your new concept will be used)

Stick this list on the part of your second page.
    Now from your theme go a bit deeper. if you choose cars for example now chose a type of car, or if you choose nature chose a type of leaf.
    Now most of your second page should be still empty (80% or so if not more)
    Put in more pics of whatever your looking indepth at. Not just from google etc but make sure you do as much free hand sketching on this page as possible.
    The pics on this page should be much less, maybe 10/15. and should be bigger. Make sure to fill in all the space with sketches, sketches, sketches!!
    Sketch how a leaf (again for example) could become the shape of the sat nav. Whatever you do start looking how you can incorporate it into your New Concept.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Page 3
    On the last page sketch out your final ideas, of how the Sat Nav can look. It doesn't have to be one design. Sketch out a couple of different ideas, include written annotations of the pros and cons of each idea.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A couple of extra overall pointers
    - On the first page make sure that your mood board has an overall rectangle finish. Its a Board. Boards are rectangular. The pictures should be small. Fill it up properly.
    - Make sure to PACK YOUR PAGES!!! not in a way where everything is clustered, but with order. Sketch as much as possible.

I keep seeing projects where people are writing their outputs in massive writing. Your not in Th class. I'm serious. You know it looks rubbish. Just put in some effort and do it properly.
    Same goes for sketching. Don't do one big sketch and leave the rest of the page blank. You know that isn't enough for leaving cert standard. PACK YOUR PAGES PROPERLY.

One last summary {example}
    Page 1 = cars
    page 2 = certain car make and model
    page 3 = rims of the car, wheels
    and then your design a Sat Nav in the shape of the wheels or rims.

Remember that the stuff you did in Output 1 and 2 should be constantly on your minds during this output.
    You dont have to make a world leading Sat Nav, just an ordinary yet original one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mag_red286

this hasn't actually got to much 2 do with the original post...nd i'm sorry....but does anyone know how to download the solidworks programme??? i've tried it once and everytime i opened it it said i needed a lincense/registration key (can't really remember!!) :confused:

• Advertisement

mag_red286 wrote: »
    this hasn't actually got to much 2 do with the original post...nd i'm sorry....but does anyone know how to download the solidworks programme??? i've tried it once and everytime i opened it it said i needed a lincense/registration key (can't really remember!!) :confused:
    It says that as the registration key is essential to install the software,
    You should get it on your e-mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clo51

im on the solidworks at the moment and really struggling :( does anyone know of any one who gives grinds in solidworks in the cork area?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

has anybody got pdfs or anyting on the first two outputs.im lost.only starting them now..

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cookier

sideways83 wrote: »
    has anybody got pdfs or anyting on the first two outputs.im lost.only starting them now..

i second this. i realised i did the first output wrong so need to go back and re do it asap.. and haven't a clue where to start with it.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bugsbunny94

Hi,im doing my folio and im so lost :confused: i dont know what to do for the comparing of 2 sat navs because there all similar ? :( ... i dont fully understand what i have to do for the new modification for the sat nav?

Please help?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Im in 4th year doing HL but our D&CG teacher made us do this years ordinary level one for practice,

Just wanted to show this incase anyone is looking for any ideas

This is my modification

Its only the bottom of the usb connector with no metal case around it to save space/materials, and its also a paperclip!
    It only took a couple of hours to make the whole thing from scratch

Pm me if you want the Solidworks file

<images snipped>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭WeightierDisc

What was the first ever sat nav??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sully67

the stars moon etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 inisog

More photos of samples DCG projects have been added here:

inisog.webs.com

Included are photos related to Outputs 1 and 2 in particular, more coming soon.

Hopefully this helps. smile.gif

Mise le meas,

InisÓg

Advertisement