Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC2011 (Design and communication graphics) - do NOT post images of exam material

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clo51

AKS wrote: »
    Yes

thanks :) so its only physical features...can you tell me any more physical features please i'm kinda stuck on output 1! also should we include the history of sat navs even though it doesn't state that we need it in the brief?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

clo51 wrote: »
    thanks :) so its only physical features...can you tell me any more physical features please i'm kinda stuck on output 1! also should we include the history of sat navs even though it doesn't state that we need it in the brief?
    We were told (And it says it in the Assignment help in the link a couple of posts up) that the pictures should tell a story in some way. Don't stick pictures on for the craic, put up one basic model from a few years ago, then one with maybe a new way of being mounted (Google Nav-Mat for an example of this) and have another with perhaps a GPS on your phone or something thats mounted in a normal phone holder in a car. Something like that.

We were told (And it says it in the Assignment help in the link a couple of posts up) that the pictures should tell a story in some way. Don't stick pictures on for the craic, put up one basic model from a few years ago, then one with maybe a new way of being mounted (Google Nav-Mat for an example of this) and have another with perhaps a GPS on your phone or something thats mounted in a normal phone holder in a car. Something like that.

thanks for your help the nav-mat thing was really helpful! i just don't know where to start with output 1 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Haven't a clue about output 2 and it's really annoying me.

Sat navs are nearly all the same,not much to compare like last year :@ and they want 2 or 3 pages for it...

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    Haven't a clue about output 2 and it's really annoying me.

Sat navs are nearly all the same,not much to compare like last year :@ and they want 2 or 3 pages for it...
    Don't forget, it's not just the Sat Nav itself, it's the mounting device aswell as the features of the Sat Nav.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 AKS

clo51 wrote: »

Buttons, Screen, Shape, Size, Materials etc. When you think about it, there's a lot of small differences in Sat Navs. Some have styluses included, others can be used with just your finger. Different mounting devices too..

The hard part is not finding their features, but putting them on paper in coherent, well rendered sketches accompanied with meaningful annotations. Now that's hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Spent ages today for ideas for output 2 and still stuck....if anyone can help at all please pm me....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

On to solidworks already, part A.. Tough hours went in to output 1,2 agus 3

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Just wondering about the comparison section.. Can you compare a normal car sat nav with a portable hand-held one (maybe even a mobile with GPS)?? This seems like the hardest of the outputs and every sat nav is practically the same and fairly hard to compare differences.......

Thanks.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mayoman10

Dafyyd Thomas

How did you cleverly insert that background image of the games controller into your first page?
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

It's called a "decal".

Geard wrote: »
    It's called a "decal".
    Its actually called a watermark...

decal is putting an image on something like a screen of the solidworks object

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

Quick question, does it matter if all the images you use in output 1 are taken from the internet? (all the sites that each one came from will be referred to).

Quick question, does it matter if all the images you use in output 1 are taken from the internet? (all the sites that each one came from will be referred to).
    We've been told by quite possibly the most confused DCG teacher alive that we need a combination of primary and secondary research, meaning some photos from the internet and one or two taken on your own camera and put onto the project.

Speaking of my teacher, he showed us a project from last year that got an A. It had 5/6 pictures for output 1, including one sketch and a photo taken by the creator aswell as pics from the web. My teacher said that even though that one got an A, we should have 10-15 pictures in total for Output 1. Is he right or is he just as confused as my class seem to be about the project?

i know exactly what pictures i want to use for output 1 and what i want to say but im finding it difficult with the layout of the sheet, to have the sheet look creative and well....has anyone any tips on this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

We've been told by quite possibly the most confused DCG teacher alive that we need a combination of primary and secondary research, meaning some photos from the internet and one or two taken on your own camera and put onto the project.

Speaking of my teacher, he showed us a project from last year that got an A. It had 5/6 pictures for output 1, including one sketch and a photo taken by the creator aswell as pics from the web. My teacher said that even though that one got an A, we should have 10-15 pictures in total for Output 1. Is he right or is he just as confused as my class seem to be about the project?

He is right, you do need primary and secondary research - so use photos taken by you and sketches (primary) and photos from the internet(reference website)/magazines (secondary). There is no set number of photos required - just enough to show what you want to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

aren't most sat navs touch screen - jesus I have pity on ye guys this year...

what knob head came up with this idea for this year :eek: that feck i got away with doing it last year - we had it so easy in comparison

One last question for Output 1 and I'll leave ye. (Until we start Output 2 that is :p)

For the picture we take ourselves, should we take a picture of the Sat Nav mounted in the car, or as our teacher suggested, put it on a white sheet on the floor of one of the rooms in the house?

IMO show it and its functions, i.e mounted on a window with the satnavs screen on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cathald04

Look lads, there are no rights and wrongs in this assignment . As long as you show some kind of primary research you should be fine. Ensure you have good presentation and mention all that is contained in the brief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I have a copy of Solidworks '09. Am I allowed to do my models at home as well as school? I heard somewhere that you can't and they can check, but my teacher keeps telling me that it's fine and I can't convince him otherwise. I just don't want to be caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I have a copy of Solidworks '09. Am I allowed to do my models at home as well as school? I heard somewhere that you can't and they can check, but my teacher keeps telling me that it's fine and I can't convince him otherwise. I just don't want to be caught out.

I did DCG last year and we were told we had to do all of our Cad work on the School computers because they are slightly different models to the ones you have on your home computer, and apparently they can check somehow if you've done the work on the school computers or on your own, it's up to you really but it's safer to keep all the cad work for school.
    You can do it out at home if you want and write down each step and just do it out again on the cad in your school, best of luck with it anyway,

Rich.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm not completely sure what to do, but definitely the steps thing would be the safest thing to do.

What about the presentation part at home? Can they check that?

RHunce wrote: »
    What about the presentation part at home? Can they check that?
    Well seeing as it's all gonna be on PDF I don't think they would be able to prove it if you did, if you compiled the PDF in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Cydoniac wrote: »

No, your not meant to do any part of the project unsupervised, main reason being to prove that its your work, not your older brother who has a degree in design. :p Yes you can prepare work at home, but your mean't to do it in school. I haven't heard of anyone being caught out, but they can easily check when and where you did the work of any part of solidworks.
    For example, if an inspector opened the hard copy of your solidworks to find you saved X part at 11.30pm on a sunday night you wouldn't really be able to get yourself out of that one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

15 people still havn't got the results of their project from last year...straight from the gob:P my teacher was at an inservice 2 days ago! they done it at home, didnt reference properly etc! im ****ting a brick we have NOTHING done so far.........:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Flex123

Looking over all the questions an all I gotta say i wish i was re-doing the project. I done it last year, and it went brilliant.
    Id love to redo the experience.
    I went to The Institute of Education and one of the highlights was Peter Timmons, my DCG teacher.
    Reading over some of the comments here are some tips.

1. Start the project immediately.
    - Start with Output 1 and 2. Give yourself a week at most and get them done.
    - By the time January comes you'll have seen loads of other peoples work and gone over your own to refresh them and make these outputs better.
    - Id advise using a computer to do them on as you can easily update the work fast.

2. Time for some Solid Works.
    - As with everything in life to separate yourself from the B1's and A2's you need to do something unique to get that A1.
    - Doing my project I had over 25 different parts. Its a bit much but im a perfectionist. :) ... Decide on a Sat Nav which you can build on Solidworks to an excellent standard. Make sure you go out and buy it. Not a new one, thats a waste of money unless its very cheap. Don't use ebay it'll take years to arrive. Use adverts.ie .... it does not have to work but you will need to take all the small measurements and angles.
    - Go into as much detail as you can. Make sure you can use Decals . Once you open up the Sat Nav and build the major components you can add stuff such as a rectangle block and just add a decal of a motherboard onto it.
    Takes less than 2 mins to do and very effective.
    - Make sure you build your piece fully. Cut it in half. Save one piece as Front. The other as Back. Mate them back together and you have two peices instead of one. Also hollow them out.

Thats all i have time for now but there's much more to it. Presentation is key although on the surface it doesn't carry marks it'll make a difference.

If you need help send me a message anytime. If people are interested i can go more in detail.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Flex123 wrote: »
    Looking over all the questions an all I gotta say i wish i was re-doing the project. I done it last year, and it went brilliant.
    Id love to redo the experience.
    I went to The Institute of Education and one of the highlights was Peter Timmons, my DCG teacher.
    Reading over some of the comments here are some tips.

1. Start the project immediately.
    - Start with Output 1 and 2. Give yourself a week at most and get them done.
    - By the time January comes you'll have seen loads of other peoples work and gone over your own to refresh them and make these outputs better.
    - Id advise using a computer to do them on as you can easily update the work fast.

2. Time for some Solid Works.
    - As with everything in life to separate yourself from the B1's and A2's you need to do something unique to get that A1.
    - Doing my project I had over 25 different parts. Its a bit much but im a perfectionist. :) ... Decide on a Sat Nav which you can build on Solidworks to an excellent standard. Make sure you go out and buy it. Not a new one, thats a waste of money unless its very cheap. Don't use ebay it'll take years to arrive. Use adverts.ie .... it does not have to work but you will need to take all the small measurements and angles.
    - Go into as much detail as you can. Make sure you can use Decals . Once you open up the Sat Nav and build the major components you can add stuff such as a rectangle block and just add a decal of a motherboard onto it.
    Takes less than 2 mins to do and very effective.
    - Make sure you build your piece fully. Cut it in half. Save one piece as Front. The other as Back. Mate them back together and you have two peices instead of one. Also hollow them out.

Thats all i have time for now but there's much more to it. Presentation is key although on the surface it doesn't carry marks it'll make a difference.

If you need help send me a message anytime. If people are interested i can go more in detail.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input so far.. When you spoke about putting components from inside the Sat Nav how do you know what sizes the stuff is or does that really matter? Could you just do a box and write motherboard or processer on it and thats it??:confused: Id appreciate it if you could give us more general tips!:D

Advertisement