Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC2011 (Design and communication graphics) - do NOT post images of exam material

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Flex123

clonadlad wrote: »
    Thanks for your input so far.. When you spoke about putting components from inside the Sat Nav how do you know what sizes the stuff is or does that really matter? Could you just do a box and write motherboard or processer on it and thats it??:confused: Id appreciate it if you could give us more general tips!:D

Firstly you have to remember that the inspector who grades your project is NOT going to have the exact SAT NAV you yourself are building so you dont have to be exact.

The best way to do it is to open up a Sat Nav (buy a broken, old or used one if possible)
    After that measure the main parts inside and fit them in as close as possible to the real size.

If you cant get your hands on a SAT NAV you can open up there's another way to get more than 5 parts without making a mess of things.
    - Use your dad's Sat Nav, or a friends. You can even just go into a shop.
    - Take down the name, make and model of the S.N. (Sat Nav).
    - Measure all the main dimensions of it that you can. (all on the exterior. No need to open it or anything.
    - Try and use a (S.N.) that has a couple of buttons, memory stick, touch screen. The more physical accessories it has on the outside the better.
    - If you're using a display model in a shop or someones that you cant take into school to measure when you are actual doing the project on the computer than take a notebook with you when measuring. Draw a quick elevation, plan and end view of all the features separately. This should be rough. Include rough dimensions so you can use later create the pieces on SolidWorks.
    - Where there is a memory card, cut into the main body of the S.N (this is on solidworks). Add a door which can open and close using advanced mating.
    Now build the actual memory card and insert it. Thats one piece.
    - Where there is a port for charging the S.N. cut into the main body on S.W. just like in the real one. (At this point you need to have cut the main body of the S.N in two and hollowed them out. Delete the Front side and save your work as S.N BACK. Then open this up. RollBack your work to where you deleted the Front, This time Delete the BACK and call it S.N. Front. DO NOT RUSH AND GO INTO ASSEMBLY MODE AND MATE THEM BACK UNTIL YOU HAVE FINISHED DESIGNING ALL YOUR OTHER PARTS AND DOING THE NECESSARY CUTS AND EXTRUDES NEEDED TO FIT THEM IN)

- Now if you open up either the front or back of the S.N Body, whichever has the charging port on it, take measurement of how much space you have. In this space you should include a battery pack. Design one yourself doesn't have to be the same as the real one. Connect it to the hole of the charging port using a tube or rectangular black.

- Think of other stuff that might be on the inside of the S.N and design them in S.W. But remember that you have a certain amount of space you can put them into (they have to fit into the outer casing of the S.N, obviously), so keep measuring to make sure you are within your limits.
    - Another idea is the mother board.
    - If the S.N. is touch screen or even if its not what you can do is over the screen place a 80 - 90 % see through plastic. It should be the exact same size as the glass in Width and Length. the thickness should be around 2-3 mm.
    - Make the screen separately to the front of the S.N.
    - The battery might be removable and it might have a cover on the back you can screw off. No need to do the screws just the battery cover.
    - Or you can have 2-4 normal AA batteries. These are SIMPLE to build. With a couple of fillets, decals and cuts they can look amazing yet simple to do.

Hope this helps. anything else just ask :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AKS

Why halve, when you can build them as seperate models?

AKS wrote: »
    Why halve, when you can build them as seperate models?

Because doing a whole body than splitting in two is the easiest way.
    Most people that do the separate encounter loads of problems when mating.
    The edges do not mate perfectly. The measurements are a bit off.
    Being off my 1 millimetre might not seem like alot but it affects assembling the overall piece extremely hard.
    The corners wont be aligned and its basically adding massive problems to your work.

If you tried to go back and edit the sketches to fix the measurements, your in for a bad, tiring time.
    It is extremely hard to change a fundamental measurement without affected the rest of the piece.

Basically just dont do it that way. I seen so many people get screwed over coz of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clo51

Flex123 wrote: »
    Looking over all the questions an all I gotta say i wish i was re-doing the project. I done it last year, and it went brilliant.
    Id love to redo the experience.
    I went to The Institute of Education and one of the highlights was Peter Timmons, my DCG teacher.
    Reading over some of the comments here are some tips.

1. Start the project immediately.
    - Start with Output 1 and 2. Give yourself a week at most and get them done.
    - By the time January comes you'll have seen loads of other peoples work and gone over your own to refresh them and make these outputs better.
    - Id advise using a computer to do them on as you can easily update the work fast.

2. Time for some Solid Works.
    - As with everything in life to separate yourself from the B1's and A2's you need to do something unique to get that A1.
    - Doing my project I had over 25 different parts. Its a bit much but im a perfectionist. :) ... Decide on a Sat Nav which you can build on Solidworks to an excellent standard. Make sure you go out and buy it. Not a new one, thats a waste of money unless its very cheap. Don't use ebay it'll take years to arrive. Use adverts.ie .... it does not have to work but you will need to take all the small measurements and angles.
    - Go into as much detail as you can. Make sure you can use Decals . Once you open up the Sat Nav and build the major components you can add stuff such as a rectangle block and just add a decal of a motherboard onto it.
    Takes less than 2 mins to do and very effective.
    - Make sure you build your piece fully. Cut it in half. Save one piece as Front. The other as Back. Mate them back together and you have two peices instead of one. Also hollow them out.

Thats all i have time for now but there's much more to it. Presentation is key although on the surface it doesn't carry marks it'll make a difference.

If you need help send me a message anytime. If people are interested i can go more in detail.

Hope this helps.

what is a decal?

clo51 wrote: »
    what is a decal?

Decals is when you stick a picture onto a side of the object.
    Eg. you can download a picture of a Sat Nav turned on showing a route. (Put in Sat Nav into google images. Download one with high resolution that has a good picture on its screen)

Using Decals on Solid Works you stick the picture onto the screen you built and it looks as if your Sat Nav is turned on and working. Simple. Very effective.

How to get to Decals on Solid Works.
    1 - Go to TOOlS
    2 - ADD-INS
    3 - Click on both the Right hand side box and Left hand box Beside PHOTOWORKS
    4 - Now beside the Features, Sketch & Evaluate buttons at the right hand side of the screen should be another button, OFFICE PRODUCTS
    5 - Click on the face you want to add a picture to. Then Click on DECALS
    6 - Click on the BROWSE and add the picture you downloaded from Google.
    7 - Mess around with the lighting, positioning etc.

Be creative. You can do so much with decals. if you are using AA batteries you can wrap a decal around them.

On a side note, its a bit disgraceful of the education system to give such a project. There is no middle class. You are either naturally brilliant and get an A or B. Or you have an extremely good teacher.

Otherwise you are lost and most likely wont do good.
    Even if you are brilliant at SolidWorks I haven't went through so much.
    The other OUTPUTS are just as important, but most teachers dont even know what is expected. They act like they do.

Ill keep updating this and answering questions when I can.

• Advertisement

I started a new thread,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68296488#post68296488

if you have any questions you want me to answer i can do it there. Replies are usually within 3 hours so its quick.
    im going to be starting from output 1 until output 9, in detail break up of what to do and how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clo51

Decals is when you stick a picture onto a side of the object.
    Eg. you can download a picture of a Sat Nav turned on showing a route. (Put in Sat Nav into google images. Download one with high resolution that has a good picture on its screen)

Using Decals on Solid Works you stick the picture onto the screen you built and it looks as if your Sat Nav is turned on and working. Simple. Very effective.

How to get to Decals on Solid Works.
    1 - Go to TOOlS
    2 - ADD-INS
    3 - Click on both the Right hand side box and Left hand box Beside PHOTOWORKS
    4 - Now beside the Features, Sketch & Evaluate buttons at the right hand side of the screen should be another button, OFFICE PRODUCTS
    5 - Click on the face you want to add a picture to. Then Click on DECALS
    6 - Click on the BROWSE and add the picture you downloaded from Google.
    7 - Mess around with the lighting, positioning etc.

Be creative. You can do so much with decals. if you are using AA batteries you can wrap a decal around them.

On a side note, its a bit disgraceful of the education system to give such a project. There is no middle class. You are either naturally brilliant and get an A or B. Or you have an extremely good teacher.

Otherwise you are lost and most likely wont do good.
    Even if you are brilliant at SolidWorks I haven't went through so much.
    The other OUTPUTS are just as important, but most teachers dont even know what is expected. They act like they do.

Ill keep updating this and answering questions when I can.

thanks for your help thats great! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭domino123

i did this 2 years ago.....the first year ov it.....got an A2.......solar panels etc are very good for the project......enviromental features are much better than having every bit ov ****e designed for the project

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Smullen93

I need help ASAP. I suck at solid works. and i need some one to show me a mounting device for a sat nav that would be easy enough to draw in solidworks. They are all really complicated :mad:

Because doing a whole body than splitting in two is the easiest way.
    Most people that do the separate encounter loads of problems when mating.
    The edges do not mate perfectly. The measurements are a bit off.
    Being off my 1 millimetre might not seem like alot but it affects assembling the overall piece extremely hard.
    The corners wont be aligned and its basically adding massive problems to your work.

If you tried to go back and edit the sketches to fix the measurements, your in for a bad, tiring time.
    It is extremely hard to change a fundamental measurement without affected the rest of the piece.

Basically just dont do it that way. I seen so many people get screwed over coz of it.

I've already done it. Had 1, 2 problems, but pretty easy to fix through edit features. I suppose my sat nav is not the most advanced. Any ideas for the concept?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

<images snipped>

just some quick pics, im not really finished it yet, but i have a full day monday to put the finishing touches and to start the concept design on solidworks and then i'm done :D

Edit: mount is upside down! my bad! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

well lads,
    first time poster here.

for the page numbers.how many are ye doin for each.
    i know u can only do 2 more than the minimum in total.
    so for which 2 outputs are ye usin de 2 extra pages.
    and is 2 pages really neccessary for output 1

Is it possible to represent something not physical in the concept? ( like a laser for example? )

AKS wrote: »
    Is it possible to represent something not physical in the concept? ( like a laser for example? )

Not really no. You can put it forward as an idea but it doesnt really count.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

RHunce wrote: »
    <images removed>

just some quick pics, im not really finished it yet, but i have a full day monday to put the finishing touches and to start the concept design on solidworks and then i'm done :D

Can you upload a picture of your Sat Nav exploded I want to see what parts you used. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cookier

Well done, that looks great!
    I'm just finishing up that section too but I'm really stuck for ideas for concept..
    help anyone? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mayoman10

<images snipped>

RHunce,

Did you do the Sat Nav itself in 2 seperate pieces? By that I mean is the part which has the on/off button a seperate part to the piece which has the screen?

I'm doing the same type of sat nav and I'm really stumped!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

<images snipped>

Don't know how your finished so early I haven't even started the mounting bracket! Im doing the exact same sat nav as that and I'm wondering how do you do that indent all around the back and sides? Do ya have to put in aload of different planes or??? Please help!!!

clonadlad wrote: »
    Don't know how your finished so early I haven't even started the mounting bracket! Im doing the exact same sat nav as that and I'm wondering how do you do that indent all around the back and sides? Do ya have to put in aload of different planes or??? Please help!!!

No it's the simple line tool, smart dimension it the distances as you see it on the actual satnav and take a cut extrude. I had chamfered the sides and filletted the corners so i could just go "normal to" for the chamfered pieces to draw it on there.
    Mayoman10 wrote: »
    RHunce,

Did you do the Sat Nav itself in 2 seperate pieces? By that I mean is the part which has the on/off button a seperate part to the piece which has the screen?

I'm doing the same type of sat nav and I'm really stumped!

Yes, The back and front are two seperated parts as you will see in the exploded view down below, the power button is on the back casing however it is still also mated to the front.
    cookier wrote: »
    Well done, that looks great!
    I'm just finishing up that section too but I'm really stuck for ideas for concept..
    help anyone? :)

Hey thanks! Just try do a concept of something you are interested in and explain why, such as a sail for sailing, an american football, a gaelic football, a make up case, doesnt have to be exactly like it just INSPIRED by it.
    NotExactly wrote: »
    Can you upload a picture of your Sat Nav exploded I want to see what parts you used. Thanks.

<images snipped>

An exploded view with my old colour scheme. I still have to make an SD Card so I think in total thats 9 parts.

New Pics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    If you look up any sat nav to buy it usually shows the dimensions in the features list. You can use that and then make up the smaller measurements to what looks right.

Also, looking at the above model, I'm freaking out a little. It's just so fantastic looking.

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Go into a shop. A big one. look at the sat nav's on display. Quickly measure the dimensions with a small ruler, write them down. walk out. :D best way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

wel.some of the help on this is great.is there anyone out there who would put up a pdf of there output1 from last year.im lost on the brief page.

sideways83 wrote: »
    wel.some of the help on this is great.is there anyone out there who would put up a pdf of there output1 from last year.im lost on the brief page.

there is one up on either the first or the second page

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nariek1

Sat Nav so far

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cookier

nariek1 wrote: »
    Sat Nav so far

I'm doing this sat nav too. found the mount really hard! how did you do the middle part of it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 midleton92

I have come up with two questions which my teacher was unable to answer so Im hoping someone here can answer them

1) For output 3 can you do drawings on separate sheets and then just cut and stick them onto one A3 page? That way I can do lots of sketches but just take the best ones and use them.

2) If you design a brand new mount but keep more or less the same sat nav, does that count as a design modification or concept design??

midleton92 wrote: »
    I have come up with two questions which my teacher was unable to answer so Im hoping someone here can answer them

1) For output 3 can you do drawings on separate sheets and then just cut and stick them onto one A3 page? That way I can do lots of sketches but just take the best ones and use them.

2) If you design a brand new mount but keep more or less the same sat nav, does that count as a design modification or concept design??

1)
    The answer to your first question is a yes. You can draw on different sheets cut and paste them onto your main one for output 3. Just remember that you have to have a 3D RENDERED sketch on the page. It has to be the main thing on the page, You can then add other sketches if you want.

2)
    Not a chance of you doing well by doing that. You have to Modify the Sat. Nav. The mount is an extra add on to the main project because on its own its too easy. You have to focus on the main project to get the marks. I wouldnt advise you to do a modification. Very hard to do it right and get full marks.
    Check out my thread for more details on Mods

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056049264

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 midleton92

Im not sure have you read the brief properly but the mount is as important, if not more, than the actual screen and button part.

But the sketch thing is good news.

• Advertisement

midleton92 wrote: »
    Im not sure have you read the brief properly but the mount is as important, if not more, than the actual screen and button part.

But the sketch thing is good news.

I have read the brief. Over and over. Of course the mount is important.

Carry out a design investigation of the physical form and features of portable satellite navigation systems including the mounting mechanism

This is part of the brief. Part A of the project. Read it again and you will know that the sat nav is the main thing. Doesnt mean the mount isnt important.
    But im prioritising when i said what i had said.

Advertisement