Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC2011 (Design and communication graphics) - do NOT post images of exam material

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 midleton92

ok thats your opinion but our teacher was talking to someone involved with the project and said the mount was as important as the actual box. And too many people would forget to put focus on that in the different outputs.

Its like this (weird analogy upcoming). In a sandwich you have the bread and the filling. Neither work on their own as a sandwich. Its the same with this. The sat nav is the filling while the mount is the bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Take it easy ladies, the mount is pretty important, not so much for the history and sketches etc but more for the solidworks model. You can get a lot of parts from the mount, especially seeing as there doesnt seem to be many parts on the satnav itself. If it mentions it in the brief then i would definitely go to town on it when modelling it, i put a lot of effort in to mine and it has paid off and given me four parts!!! this is so important, do not neglect the importance of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cathald04

Flex123 wrote: »
    1)
    The answer to your first question is a yes. You can draw on different sheets cut and paste them onto your main one for output 3. Just remember that you have to have a 3D RENDERED sketch on the page. It has to be the main thing on the page, You can then add other sketches if you want.

2)
    Not a chance of you doing well by doing that. You have to Modify the Sat. Nav. The mount is an extra add on to the main project because on its own its too easy. You have to focus on the main project to get the marks. I wouldnt advise you to do a modification. Very hard to do it right and get full marks.
    Check out my thread for more details on Mods

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056049264

Straight from the chief examiners report

Output 3 –
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Detailed graphical presentation to include a rendered freehand presentation quality drawing in 3D format
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]This Output yielded an average mark of 14.2 out of 20 (70.9%). Candidates were required to produce a detailed graphical presentation which included a 3D rendered freehand presentation quality drawing. This output afforded candidates the opportunity to demonstrate their freehand sketching and presentation skills. Many candidates produced excellent freehand presentation drawings using a range of media and presentation techniques. However, a number of candidates used drawing instruments or traced their "sketches" and, as a result, they did not succeed as well, in terms of marks, as those that adhered to the requirements of this output. Some candidates scanned all of their sketches and presented only printouts. It should be noted that original, non scanned, sketches should be presented for Outputs 3 and 8. This not only helps to support the authenticity of the work but provides candidates with an opportunity
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Flex123

RHunce wrote: »
    Take it easy ladies, the mount is pretty important, not so much for the history and sketches etc but more for the solidworks model. You can get a lot of parts from the mount, especially seeing as there doesnt seem to be many parts on the satnav itself. If it mentions it in the brief then i would definitely go to town on it when modelling it, i put a lot of effort in to mine and it has paid off and given me four parts!!! this is so important, do not neglect the importance of it.

I agree. Especially about there not being enough parts in the sat nav alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

In my opinion SolidWorks is one of the easiest outputs. Up until last week I was worring that I will strugle with it but it's actially not that bad.. I have most of my sat nav done already. Bracket is actually the worst part.. It took me about 6 hours+ alone to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 callaghan_1

Having issues with timeline.... did the project last year as practice and found it way easier... timeline isn't working out?? any ideas on an alternative? or any examples of early sat navs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

My yoke at the moment;

<images snipped>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

Callaghan 1...Go back as far as sextants and all them forms of navigation,compass etc..just type Navigation devices or something along them lones into google. I can't get 6 hours straight in school. 1hr 40 min is the max in a row we ever have DCG for in school. I'm getting the detail on my Sat Nav done.I dont have a Sat Nav,I'm taking measurements from an online 3-D view which is really slowing me down.But Im 45% of the way there with my existing model...the modification should be a piece of cake,the mount how ever will be a b*tch I think...and a case...mated with the sat nav should be a piece of cake :] It's well worth the effort for 40% :D

Ian...thats some job!!!The mount looks awefully complicated,how did you get it all done so fast???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Ian...thats some job!!!The mount looks awefully complicated,how did you get it all done so fast???

Thanks, spent five classes on the mount last Friday and that got almost all of it done - ive no sketches at all done yet though

• Advertisement

Awh nice one. I can't get 5 classes :( The max is two. Wrecking my head,could have it done in one day solid if they just let us have one day.Oh well no point complaining!Was it hard?With extruding cuts on the curved surface?I've no sketches done either :/ I may get my ass in gear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Honda Quad 350

nice job. . .how did u do the speakers on the back wth the holes. . .please help. . .:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Honda Quad 350

how did u do the holes on the bck for the speakers. . .help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

draw one circle, smart dimension it, extrude cut it then linear pattern the extrude cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clo51

Having issues with timeline.... did the project last year as practice and found it way easier... timeline isn't working out?? any ideas on an alternative? or any examples of early sat navs?

while last year you were asked for a history timeline of the controller this year the brief didnt state it so i wouldnt think its neccessary! read the brief very carefully and just explore the features of sat navs which is what they are asking you to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Marks12

Seems everyone is keeping quite :)

The project is not to hard. 5 parts or said seems to be a easy way to go. 5 pieces min I have like 13 pieces or so I am sorted in that area. As for the typing and scetching how i am doing mine its mainly all scetching but the exact to size will be fun and keeping it looking "realistic". Anyways dude have fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GoWesht

Ian_K wrote: »
    Showing off how great i am and looking for praise

Stop showing off you waster! We'll see how well you do next august :rolleyes: its not even that good anyway

I am doing my sat nav in 2 parts (the sat nav itself and the screen). However I'm trying to make it look as the sat nav itself was in two parts i.e. I am making a small cut at the sides of it. However I am stuck at the corners as they are rounded. How can I make this cut along them?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Paczini wrote: »
    I am doing my sat nav in 2 parts (the sat nav itself and the screen). However I'm trying to make it look as the sat nav itself was in two parts i.e. I am making a small cut at the sides of it. However I am stuck at the corners as they are rounded. How can I make this cut along them?
    If your just trying to cut the sat nav in two parts its easy.. Just draw any sort of line the whole way across the sat nav and extrude cut the yoke fully. Save this part as either front/back. Then undo the extrude, but this time switch the sides you extrude and call this the other side. Two parts!! Then you can shell out the inside of the sat nav to a few millimeters...(that's what Im doing anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

clonadlad wrote: »
    If your just trying to cut the sat nav in two parts its easy.. Just draw any sort of line the whole way across the sat nav and extrude cut the yoke fully. Save this part as either front/back. Then undo the extrude, but this time switch the sides you extrude and call this the other side. Two parts!! Then you can shell out the inside of the sat nav to a few millimeters...(that's what Im doing anyway!)

I agree with this, then you could apply a small chamfer/fillet to both pieces so when assembled you will get the impression of a joint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I agree with this, then you could apply a small chamfer/fillet to both pieces so when assembled you will get the impression of a joint.
    Good thinking.. I forgot about doing that bit thanks!

clonadlad wrote: »

But the thing is that I don't want to cut it (I know that doing that would be easy). I just want to make an impression that it is in two parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clo51

im on output 2 at the moment but im kind of struggling with it! can anyone give me advice or tips please? what should we compare? and should you do all the sketches on the one page or do them then cut them out and stick them all on the one page? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

but you need to cut it in half if you want "TWO" parts from it!!! it won't be counted as two parts unless it is two parts:p or do you just want it to seem that way and that you still have at least 5 parts in total??

sligo. wrote: »
    but you need to cut it in half if you want "TWO" parts from it!!! it won't be counted as two parts unless it is two parts:p or do you just want it to seem that way and that you still have at least 5 parts in total??

I actually have 10 parts already and it would be kind of useless to make 11th one. That's why I just want it to just look like it have been made out of two parts.. As I stated before I have two parts out of the sat nav itself and that's enough for me. I just stuck on the round parts (the corners) and no one in my class knows how to do it

Paczini wrote: »
    But the thing is that I don't want to cut it (I know that doing that would be easy). I just want to make an impression that it is in two parts

But whats the harm in cutting it into 2 if it makes life easy?

Otherwise what you need to do is cut your grooves into the required surfaces before your fillet, then fillet them included the recessed edge. Something like this I assume is what you are looking for?

But whats the harm in cutting it into 2 if it makes life easy?

Otherwise what you need to do is cut your grooves into the required surfaces before your fillet, then fillet them included the recessed edge. Something like this I assume is what you are looking for?

Yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for.
    What commands did you actually used to do this fillet as I don't really get how did you get that.
    And I'm kind of person that prefers to do hard work instead of cutting shortcuts. Unless I can get extra marks for cutting shortcuts i.e. Mirror entitles etc.;)

This image might help.

This image might help.

I see what you did but the thing is that I did the extruded cut all along the edges for a depth of 0.1mm and if I do what you did the cut will be deeper than that. Unfortunately I am a perfectionist. Especially in DCG and Solidworks. I spent about 24 hours or more doing my solidworks at school over 1.5 week and actually that's the thing that I am stuck on most

• Advertisement

Don't get you, post up a pic if you can tomorrow. You did notice the recess is also selected and therefore filleted?

Advertisement