Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC2011 (Design and communication graphics) - do NOT post images of exam material

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Im pretty sure they do care...whatever about telling other posters its ok to do design/research n mod research at home please DO NOT tell them its ok to do solidworks at home,you will be lose marks..trust me!I have an image of completed sat nav(draft) and will post up whenever I get priveliges to do so.Best of luck to all and even if the sat nav seems easier than last years controller remember the devil(marks) are in the detail.

Definitely DON'T do Solidworks at home. If you want practice at home and re-do it in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Dragonmanirl

Im sitting here with a Sat nav in sort of pieces "i.e he cover off and screen out" to create the 5 parts needed for the brief, but im curious, is anybody willing to rip their sat nav into complete seperate parts in order to visualise parts?

Dragon

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Stevo93

does anyone know how to get solidworks for free to practise at home?

Im in LC year and was in the class last year but our teacher was brutal. He never should us how to do anything both solidworks or board drawing. We now have a new teacher straight from college so I hope we can cover the two year course this year.

Thanks for the information provided so far.

@stevo93 ask your old teacher or your new teacher for the Student Design kit, i have that from my school and it really helps alhough im in Lc too were only starting solidworks this week >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

So,what do ye make of the honours brief?Why couldnt they have given us an mp3 player or a phone,something out long enough to get the evolution of it..oh well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sean-Tom

Any idea if we have to go into much detail with internal parts (wires, chips etc..) or just the main external components.

@ Sean-tom, My dcg teacher says all you need is the case (back and front) the screen, the chipboard (without wires) speaker and mount simple enough! The brief says "min 5 parts" so any 5 :D

Thanks Dragonmanirl

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

Whats the brief, i did honours DCG for the leaving last year, (and got an A1) but im curious as to what this years one is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

kirkfx wrote: »
    Whats the brief, i did honours DCG for the leaving last year, (and got an A1) but im curious as to what this years one is!!

http://www.t4.ie/DCG_Documents/DCG%20Student%20Assignment%202011(EV).pdf

That's the brief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

OH MAN.. YOU SERIOUS.. I remember the lads in my class were runnin' scarce on time cause we got our brief really late into the year!
    However.. I did all my work when needed be and got a B2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tonyyy17

Im after starting the brief today and i dont no where too start... can anyone put me in the right direction?

Cheerz in advance :)

Well hey the first thing you have to do is to get the history..

So just research on google or in shops if you're really assed getting up and going out to do so.
    And find out all you can about sat navs.
    History, Different Types, How they were made, How they advanced throughout the years.

That's your first step.
    In your first 2 pages make it all about a timeline of Sat Navs.
    And don't make it just pictures and a block of text.
    Give each picture it's own story. It's much more appealing.
    That's with I did with the controllers last year and got an A in my project.

I don't see how it's much different :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm a bit disappointed at how limited the scope of the project is but I'm sure I'll come up with something. Gonna get cracking and hopefully have timeline/research done over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

f**k this project!! i got an A in junior cert TG and i'm good at the LC drawing but the computers?!! :confused: do the parts have to be extremely fancy? like if the front, back, screen etc. fits in place must you do more than fillet the objects?:p cause im good at that;)ha! im expert at art so ill fly the sketches, p.folio shoulsnt be too hard:)

I'm actually racking my brains on how I could try change an unchanged design for 10 years or more. How much can you change a box with a screen and buttons? It's a tried and tested formula and you lose function when you muck about with it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

I just cant see where you can find 5 parts from a sat nav...unless u start doing the internal features but i dont think that's what they are really looking for.

The thing itself could be 1 part.
    Then every different button.
    1 part.

I had 15 Parts on my PS3 controller last year ! ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eskimoparty

Mare your parts from the bracket. pick a simple sat nav and go to town on the bracket. Read the brief carefully and you'll see thats really what they are looking for. Try ebay for ideas, there'll be loads.

http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=sat+nav+bracket

@Rich1691 from what i found through dismantling a sat nav, there's the screen, the care halves, the chipboard, the battery and speakers, and then the mount can be split in to two pieces as seperate parts, so it seems simple enough! use your mind :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 WreckinBar

Hi,

I've been looking into the history of portable sat navs, and am having trouble finding the first available consumer portable sat nav. Was looking at this article on wikipedia, but it seems to be a blurred area as to who made the first one. Just wondering if anyone has found somhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_navigation_systemething along these lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Hey ! I did this project last year and want to give some tips....

1. Make an effort to have EVERYTHING typed, anything hand written will look bad. Remember its presentation that moves your grade from a B to an A, no matter how well thought out your project is.

2. Make sure your sketches look good and do what ever you have to to produce good sketches... ie trace if you have to but dont make it obvious. (Dont trace from an image you intend to put in the project, use a different angle, dont trace it perfectly etc.)

3. Dont be afraid to do your sketches on paper and cut it out and paste it in. You cant be expected to do many sketches perfectly on one page... This will allow you to have better sketches. Just do it neatly and dont use poor quality glue.

4. You have to be seen to have made an effort to give your sketches a realistic feel, so you need to shade etc, you lose marks if you dont.

5. In regards to the modification/new concept... GENERALLY an examiner will have a more positive opinion of the project if you do a new concept. However you will still do just as well with modification so long as they are precieved to be usful realistally and more importantly require design changes. (Dont just make a hole and call it a speaker, dont say you chaned the color/materials used to build it etc. you will come across as lazy and undeserving of a good grade).... Also I know you dont have to but APPLY ALL YOUR MODIFICATIONS, again you will be seen as lazy if you only applied two modifications compared to someone who does a whole new concept.

6. Time yourself and make sure your progressing steadily with it... you dont want the stress of having to get it all done in the last week and theres no way you'll do it as well.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck with it !

If your designing a new concept sat nav instead of modding it do you still do parts 1,2 and 3 the same ie. research existing ones, pick 2 and compare, pick 1 and sketch or do you have to sketch your own new concept one??? Also whats the difference between part 7 and 8? Thanks guys. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

I'm finding the comparison really hard to think about,sat navs are all nearly the same in spec.

Really don't know what to do.

Plus,for the two things you compare,can you have a choice to do these :

1) modify one of them (to use for SW and 3D drawing)

2) do a completely different sat nav for SW and 3D drawing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AKS

Do we have to explore history throughout Output 1, or can we summarise it in a corner somewhere and then illustrate/expand on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brenwald

Read The Brief very carefully!
    There is NO requirement for a timeline or history of sat-navs (OL project does require historical dev of portable storage devices). The analysis (output 1) should concentrate on FORM and FUNCTION - what are the basic shapes/ designs, types, mounting mechanisms, chargers, extras etc. This is also what you would compare & contarst for output 2 (pick sat navs with diff shapes, mounts etc)
    For modelling, the 5 parts for the assemble include the mounting mechanism, therfore technically you could create the sat nav as one part and have 4 parts for mount (probally better to do at least 2 parts for sat nav though).
    For part B, a concept design can be created v easily (no min requirement for parts) and you can start working on it b4 you finish part B

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hyland_Boy

I was wondering for the history do you have to write about the history of sat navs or can you go as far back as compasses and maps?? :confused:

Hyland_Boy wrote: »
    I was wondering for the history do you have to write about the history of sat navs or can you go as far back as compasses and maps?? :confused:

As brenwald said I don't think you need too much emphasise on history. With regards maps etc.. i'm not sure i suppose you could mention but it is satellite navigation you want to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

I wondering how you would go aboutdoing the history for the USB?? Any one??

• Advertisement

Geard wrote: »
    I wondering how you would go aboutdoing the history for the USB?? Any one??
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#History
    Start here, perhaps make a timeline of sorts, show the functions and uses of the USB port today, all the devices.
    Emphasise the storage capabilities.

Advertisement